Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

My post was revised yesterday and was still removed, yet everything was tied back to fact, and educated supposition.

This forum is the only forum that we can communicate with these local public representatives.

They say their door is always open to anybody. I can assure you it is not.

It is 'my way or the highway' attitude.

If you send a letter it is normally ignored.

If you do get a response, it is a whole pile of words thrown together in a 'boggle box' and lashed out on a piece of paper. It means nothing, worse than nothing, obstructive defending of WCC and Sisk.

But here, it is public, here they have to read it. They of course have the exact same opportunity to rebut any point or argument made in this forum with an avatar to hide their identity, they can refer to facts and documents.

But they choose not to.

Any clear thinking person has to ask the question why they would not take such an opportunity? It is their job to tackle such issues, if they cannot rebut arguments and questions here then how can they make arguments out there in the real word??

The reason, I feel is that they have no argument......they just go to the moderator and threaten all sorts of actions.

The answer should be simple from boards lawyers to these complaints.....tell them go and debate your points in this forum, take on people like me, prove that I am wrong......

Come you guys, we are waiting to debate this with you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

F3 wrote: »
    Where did my revised post go?

Post restored after mod discussion

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I have a real issue with the word 'abusive' being used. It is a highly negative word with many psychological associations and it is being used repeatedly especially by George Jones.

He has not been abused !!!!!!!

George has put himself out a public representative for 35 years and yes he has had to face criticism for allegedly not doing his job from constituents in Greystones.

If I where a public representative, I too would not be too happy with dealing with the chatter in rooms like this especially when when my actions and inactions are put under the mircoscope for all to consider.

We cannot even rely upon the minutes of the Town Council Meetings to record what was actually said or to be detailed enough to benchmark performance. Many times I’ve sat and listened in the public gallery for an evening and the corresponding minutes record something other than what was discussed or agreed!

I am truly sorry George if you do not like the challenges that face modern local politicians who are fluent in the new world of social media, but DO NOT call criticism of your actions and inactions ‘ABUSE’. Your Inaction is an indication of where your loyalties lie which has not been to resolving the issues at the Harbour. Time and time again the unfinished harbour continues to be a very central problem that this town has had to deal with for many years now.

YOU HAVE BEEN CENTRAL TO ALLOWING THE DELAY TO CONTINUE. Your loyalties appear to be to the County Manager not the people of Greystones.

I have noticed and indeed many have commented to me that you spend much of your time at Town Council meeting whispering and whispering to your fellow Fine Gael Cllrs who appear not to be able to think for themselves, which does not surprise me as they have been spoken to time and time and time again on this issue, and on the face of it agree, but completely change their minds by their actions and fail and fail and fail.

Why would anyone need to constantly talk to other Cllrs in a whisper at town council meetings…….Just think about that for a moment.

32 Failed promises * of publicised milestones on the Harbour from Sispar and Public Representatives!! 32 let downs this town has had to endure, yet you think this goes un noticed? Not in 2014 George. The world is alive now, alive and aware through forums like face book and boards.

*Published and very detailed correlated list on GUBOH website from public records.

And you should not be allowed to forget.

Yes it obviously does infuriate you, we can all see it. Because for 30 of those 35 years, there was no social media which provides an opportunity for the public to ask their representatives contemporaneous questions, and to provide a platform for public discussing the answers you give as to whether such are reasonable or not, i.e. to question your answers. But the last 5 years of social media has become a way of life for everybody and it is apparent you don’t like the change so you call it “abuse”

Why don't you call a public debate on this harbour issue???? I am fully certain a panel of GUBOH heads would stand before you and debate this issue???

[Fact: I’ve since checked with them and they have said no problem in debating the matter with you publically]

We could ask a pillar of the community like Dr. Brendan Cuddihy to chair the meeting and have proper journalists present. The debate could be videoed and put up for all to see.

BUT STOP WITH YOUR SNIDE REMARKS, stop with your use of language using words like 'Abuse'.

be the man that you think you are and have a public debate with your so-called abusers, and see who actually is more learned about the Harbour.

Finally, and mark my words. The building will re-commence soon, it will be "phase 1" of goodness knows how many phases. But I predict that a certain sector of Public representatives in this town will package this start in the shiniest of shiny wrappers and sing from the rafters........but the rest of the site will remain like a dogs dinner for years and years of phasing, the community buildings and proper finishes will also not be done for years and years and years of phasing........and the sea will continue to devour the north cliffs until the entire ecological area will be completely destroyed, the old dump exposed and washed into the sea, the marine life decimated, the sand martins gone forever...........but sure what does any of this matter.....

And if the public criticise its elected representatives for not doing their jobs, or for defending the indefensible, or for trying to be all things to all people but always succumbing to a party whip...........you call in "Abuse"

If I said WAKE UP MAN !!! it would be pointless, because your candle of politics is almost gone out. So I say to you, in the night time of your political career put up or shut up. Have a public debate with your so called abusers, have it videoed for all to judge, lets us see who is wrong, them or you?

Thank you to the moderators for considering this post and allowing it to be posted. F3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

In the interest of clarity would it be possible to also reinstate the post from Tennis Player that F3 is responding to..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

I have a real issue with the word 'abusive' being used. It is a highly negative word with many psychological associations and it is being used repeatedly especially by George Jones.

George has put himself out a public representative for 35 years and yes he has had to face criticism for allegedly not doing his job from constituents in Greystones.

If I where a public representative, I too would not be too happy with dealing with the chatter in rooms like this especially when when my actions and inactions are put under the mircoscope for all to consider.

We cannot even rely upon the minutes of the Town Council Meetings to record what was actually said or to be detailed enough to benchmark performance. Many times I’ve sat and listened in the public gallery for an evening and the corresponding minutes record something other than what was discussed or agreed!

I am truly sorry George if you do not like the challenges that face modern local politicians who are fluent in the new world of social media, but DO NOT call criticism of your actions and inactions ‘ABUSE’. Your Inaction is an indication of where your loyalties lie which has not been to resolving the issues at the Harbour. Time and time again the unfinished harbour continues to be a very central problem that this town has had to deal with for many years now.

YOU HAVE BEEN CENTRAL TO ALLOWING THE DELAY TO CONTINUE. Your loyalties appear to be to the County Manager not the people of Greystones.

I have noticed and indeed many have commented to me that you spend much of your time at Town Council meeting whispering and whispering to your fellow Fine Gael Cllrs who appear not to be able to think for themselves, which does not surprise me as they have been spoken to time and time and time again on this issue, and on the face of it agree, but completely change their minds by their actions and fail and fail and fail.

Why would anyone need to constantly talk to other Cllrs in a whisper at town council meetings…….Just think about that for a moment.

32 Failed promises * of publicised milestones on the Harbour from Sispar and Public Representatives!! 32 let downs this town has had to endure, yet you think this goes un noticed? Not in 2014 George. The world is alive now, alive and aware through forums like face book and boards.

*Published and very detailed correlated list on GUBOH website from public records.

Yes it obviously does infuriate you, we can all see it. Because for 30 of those 35 years, there was no social media which provides an opportunity for the public to ask their representatives contemporaneous questions, and to provide a platform for public discussing the answers you give as to whether such are reasonable or not, i.e. to question your answers. But the last 5 years of social media has become a way of life for everybody and it is apparent you don’t like the change so you call it “abuse”

Why don't you call a public debate on this harbour issue???? I am fully certain a panel of GUBOH heads would stand before you and debate this issue???

[Fact: I’ve since checked with them and they have said no problem in debating the matter with you publically]

We could ask a pillar of the community like Dr. Brendan Cuddihy to chair the meeting and have proper journalists present. The debate could be videoed and put up for all to see.

BUT STOP WITH YOUR SNIDE REMARKS, stop with your use of language using words like 'Abuse'.

be the man that you think you are and have a public debate with your so-called abusers, and see who actually is more learned about the Harbour.

Finally, and mark my words. The building will re-commence soon, it will be "phase 1" of goodness knows how many phases. But I predict that a certain sector of Public representatives in this town will package this start in the shiniest of shiny wrappers and sing from the rafters........but the rest of the site will remain like a dogs dinner for years and years of phasing, the community buildings and proper finishes will also not be done for years and years and years of phasing........and the sea will continue to devour the north cliffs until the entire ecological area will be completely destroyed, the old dump exposed and washed into the sea, the marine life decimated, the sand martins gone forever...........but sure what does any of this matter.....

And if the public criticise its elected representatives for not doing their jobs, or for defending the indefensible, or for trying to be all things to all people but always succumbing to a party whip...........you call in "Abuse"

If I said WAKE UP MAN !!! it would be pointless, because your candle of politics is almost gone out. So I say to you, in the night time of your political career put up or shut up. Have a public debate with your so called abusers, have it videoed for all to judge, lets us see who is wrong, them or you?

Well said F3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Post deleted

Poster given 2 week ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    In the interest of clarity would it be possible to also reinstate the post from Tennis Player that F3 is responding to..?

Thank you..

Any word on the public debate yet F3???

No Gibbon. No sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gibbon6 wrote: »
    Any word on the public debate yet F3???

MOD comment

There is no need to repeatedly quote that post.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

MOD comment

There is no need to repeatedly quote that post.

Thats fine mango. Just interested in any developments on the debate front thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    A hive of activity.......a real working harbour!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thanks for posting the pics John. As ever, a useful contribution to the thread.

Just an up date on the other boards site Erosion of north Wicklow coast. Possible cause: Greystones Harbour Development?

I posted two posts:

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...V0z6OLXSTG&s=1

Post 1: In fairness I see Cllr. Mitchell has identified nearly €500,000 that can be given back to the community!!! which is very welcome thank you! We should give it to the tidy towns committee as a sinking fund for all future great work that they do

Post 2: Derek in his wisdom has essentially excused Sisk from placing beach sand on the inner beach of the harbour. This was costed at €43,000 in the community plan and one of the few costs agreed to by Sisk.

Sisk were obligated not only to place it but to replenish it over the 30 years. Calculating, that a total replacement [realistically] every three years due to wash out from storms and spring tides etc is about right, which is €430,000.

If not sought then this will be a total saving or super profit to Sisk and whoever, if they are allowed not carry out this work, as Derek has stated.

So it absolutely should go back to the community, and why not the tidy towns??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Maybe they are checking to see how much their site has shrunk since they last surveyed it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Press release from Simon Harris

Wicklow Fine Gael TD, Simon Harris has lent his support to the calls for meaningful engagement between the Greystones community, public representatives, the County Council and SISK developers in relation to the future of the Greystones Harbour project.

Deputy Harris made his comments after writing to the County Manager and formally requesting that elements of the harbour project contract be published so that residents and public representatives can see exactly what obligations the contract places on the developer and on the Council.

“It has been reported that the harbour project contract contains clauses outlining what should happen with the development if an economic down occurs, how long development can be halted for, when the project must recommence, etc. It is really important that the residents of Greystones and their public representatives can see this information so we can all play our part in making constructive suggestions in the interest of the community, “ stated Deputy Harris.

“I am determined to work with all residents in the town and all public representatives regardless of political affiliation to see the many outstanding public elements of this project delivered as quickly as possible and to see the harbour site maintained properly and landscaped in the interim. The last thing we need is for people to squabble or for this issue to become divisive. It is in all our interests for the project to be completed as quickly as possible and for the public amenities which were promised to be delivered.

“It was in that spirit of wanting to be constructive that I met with a representative of the Community Plan and had a detailed conversation with him. Ultimately what the Community Plan is proposing is largely where we need to get to. Some elements of it may not be achievable or it may not all be achievable all at once but it does provide a roadmap and I welcome that.

“We need to hear from SISK on exactly when they intend to recommence work on the development and the timescale for the development from that point on. We also need assurances from them on what improvements they will make to the site in the interim and guarantees on when vital public facilities will be delivered. I remain committed to working on this and I really hope the County Council injects transparency into this debate by publishing those important elements of the contract,” concluded Deputy Harris.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Press release from Simon Harris

Wicklow Fine Gael TD, Simon Harris has lent his support to the calls for meaningful engagement between the Greystones community, public representatives, the County Council and SISK developers in relation to the future of the Greystones Harbour project.

Deputy Harris made his comments after writing to the County Manager and formally requesting that elements of the harbour project contract be published so that residents and public representatives can see exactly what obligations the contract places on the developer and on the Council.

“It has been reported that the harbour project contract contains clauses outlining what should happen with the development if an economic down occurs, how long development can be halted for, when the project must recommence, etc. It is really important that the residents of Greystones and their public representatives can see this information so we can all play our part in making constructive suggestions in the interest of the community, “ stated Deputy Harris.

“I am determined to work with all residents in the town and all public representatives regardless of political affiliation to see the many outstanding public elements of this project delivered as quickly as possible and to see the harbour site maintained properly and landscaped in the interim. The last thing we need is for people to squabble or for this issue to become divisive. It is in all our interests for the project to be completed as quickly as possible and for the public amenities which were promised to be delivered.

“It was in that spirit of wanting to be constructive that I met with a representative of the Community Plan and had a detailed conversation with him. Ultimately what the Community Plan is proposing is largely where we need to get to. Some elements of it may not be achievable or it may not all be achievable all at once but it does provide a roadmap and I welcome that.

“We need to hear from SISK on exactly when they intend to recommence work on the development and the timescale for the development from that point on. We also need assurances from them on what improvements they will make to the site in the interim and guarantees on when vital public facilities will be delivered. I remain committed to working on this and I really hope the County Council injects transparency into this debate by publishing those important elements of the contract,” concluded Deputy Harris.

Good man Simon!

Just an up date on the other boards site Erosion of north Wicklow coast. Possible cause: Greystones Harbour Development?

I posted two posts:

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...V0z6OLXSTG&s=1

Post 1: In fairness I see Cllr. Mitchell has identified nearly €500,000 that can be given back to the community!!! which is very welcome thank you! We should give it to the tidy towns committee as a sinking fund for all future great work that they do

Post 2: Derek in his wisdom has essentially excused Sisk from placing beach sand on the inner beach of the harbour. This was costed at €43,000 in the community plan and one of the few costs agreed to by Sisk.

Sisk were obligated not only to place it but to replenish it over the 30 years. Calculating, that a total replacement [realistically] every three years due to wash out from storms and spring tides etc is about right, which is €430,000.

If not sought then this will be a total saving or super profit to Sisk and whoever, if they are allowed not carry out this work, as Derek has stated.

So it absolutely should go back to the community, and why not the tidy towns??

Cllr.Mitchell's latest pro Sisks claim on East Coast radio that the harbour would silt up if some sand is placed on the harbour beach is unbelievable and outrageous. Provision was made in the PPP plans that sand would be placed on the harbour beach. All the photo-realistic images of the new harbour included in the Environmental Impact Statementclearly showed sand and a recreational beach in the harbour. The experts who advised Wicklow County Council when preparing the Environmental Impact Statement clearly felt that this would not be an issue. These plans were prepared during the Celtic Tiger era when money was no object. Sisks made contractual commitments which they must stand over. This is so even if Sisks is no longer financially sound. It is very obvious that Cllr Mitchell does not want our children to play on the beach in the harbour anymore as has been enjoyed by children for generations. Instead he wants the habour only for his yachting friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I really hope the County Council injects transparency into this debate by publishing those important elements of the contract,” concluded Deputy Harris.
    I was "hoping" that too. But if I was a government TD, I would be doing something to make it actually happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Good man Simon!

Oh c"mon its getting like a tag team or a soap opera..in comes simon wit his cape fluttering around his shoulders* high fives*gorge j. and mitchell "ive got this lads" and off we go again another six years of letters back and forth to that county manager lad and co.stalling...again telling the natives the obvious ...again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

First visit to Greystones, since the new harbour was put in.
    I think it looks great, I guess it doesn't look great to the residents as they were expecting something totally finished.
    The only problem I see is the massive site which is fenced in, I think there was meant to be apartments there, personally I don't think apartmeants would have looked nice there, as I feel they would tower over the harbour.

What's the story with the eye sore of a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Good man Simon!

At first glance I'd think the same but then I consider the following:
    1. Is this an attempt to recover some of the following FG lost through their members either voting AGAINST or abstaining from the community plan? Just read back through this thread on how we have been consistently let down.

2. It was reported that Simon may be heading elsewhere. Front page of the Wicklow Times. Anytime I see someone being nominated for the EU I have to consider is this an attempt to keep them around or what is really driving such a nomination.

Colour me cynical but I'd don't buy anything now they, or indeed most parties come out with anymore. I also have to consider is this the local "hot" topic to secure his votes on these EU elections?

At the end of the day words are cheap, and let's face it we have had our fill of words but when it has come to the crunch Simon's party has let us down. There have been a number of occasions where they could have pulled it back but they haven't. Possibly or if media attention continues to build we will see a shift from them.

While I welcome this announcement from Simon, I really want to see follow through. I think though it will need a concerted effort from all political parties and the community. No point rehashing old ground on the mistakes that have brought us here, hopefully we can learn from them, but only if we have full transparency and a voice that is respected by those elected to represent us.
    I know many of us feel strong emotions when we read on the harbour, I have previously called out here that I can't remember the last time I went down there, even driving past now I keep my eyes away from it. Here's hoping that this announcement is a sign that we will finally start to see some forward (supported) momentum to resolving this to the satisfaction of all involved and not just some vested interest groups.

Cllr.Mitchell's latest pro Sisks claim on East Coast radio that the harbour would silt up if some sand is placed on the harbour beach is unbelievable and outrageous. Provision was made in the PPP plans that sand would be placed on the harbour beach. All the photo-realistic images of the new harbour included in the Environmental Impact Statementclearly showed sand and a recreational beach in the harbour. The experts who advised Wicklow County Council when preparing the Environmental Impact Statement clearly felt that this would not be an issue. These plans were prepared during the Celtic Tiger era when money was no object. Sisks made contractual commitments which they must stand over. This is so even if Sisks is no longer financially sound. It is very obvious that Cllr Mitchell does not want our children to play on the beach in the harbour anymore as has been enjoyed by children for generations. Instead he wants the habour only for his yachting friends.

I totally agree Gib, I'd much rather see the sand than not. And they should be made do it.

Who will make them do it?

My point is if you aren't doing it the community are ENTITLED to the cash.....

This something Cllr. Mitchell has not considered at all. If he had, he would be singing this from the rooftops. Wouldn't he?

So it you are not doing is Derek, where are they putting this money? Who is getting this money?

As a Community we should demand to know from Cllr. Mitchell,

We should ask George Jones and Cllr McLaoughlin do they agree with Cllr. Mitchell ?

Taltos wrote: »
    At first glance I'd think the same but then I consider the following:
    1. Is this an attempt to recover some of the following FG lost through their members either voting AGAINST or abstaining from the community plan? Just read back through this thread on how we have been consistently let down.

2. It was reported that Simon may be heading elsewhere. Front page of the Wicklow Times. Anytime I see someone being nominated for the EU I have to consider is this an attempt to keep them around or what is really driving such a nomination.

Colour me cynical but I'd don't buy anything now they, or indeed most parties come out with anymore. I also have to consider is this the local "hot" topic to secure his votes on these EU elections?

At the end of the day words are cheap, and let's face it we have had our fill of words but when it has come to the crunch Simon's party has let us down. There have been a number of occasions where they could have pulled it back but they haven't. Possibly or if media attention continues to build we will see a shift from them.

While I welcome this announcement from Simon, I really want to see follow through. I think though it will need a concerted effort from all political parties and the community. No point rehashing old ground on the mistakes that have brought us here, hopefully we can learn from them, but only if we have full transparency and a voice that is respected by those elected to represent us.
    I know many of us feel strong emotions when we read on the harbour, I have previously called out here that I can't remember the last time I went down there, even driving past now I keep my eyes away from it. Here's hoping that this announcement is a sign that we will finally start to see some forward (supported) momentum to resolving this to the satisfaction of all involved and not just some vested interest groups.

The full transparency hog wash? Surley people arent still buying that..its been dragged out before us before..it dosent work/exist..fool me once shame on you..fool me twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Maudi wrote: »
    The full transparency hog wash? Surley people arent still buying that..its been dragged out before us before..it dosent work/exist..fool me once shame on you..fool me twice?

I think you mean....

"fool me once, shame on.......shame on you. Fool me......you can't get fooled again!"

:D

Langerland wrote: »
    I think you mean....

"fool me once, shame on.......shame on you. Fool me......you can't get fooled again!"

Nope..fool me once shame on you( for being so sneaky.)..fool me twice..(I deserved it for being do stoopid)

Langerland wrote: »
    I think you mean....

GW Bush.....

GW Bush.....

Ahh..ha..

• Advertisement

I see Sean Quirke has written to the town Council perpetuating the myth of Derek Mitchell with regard to the sand on the inner beach. Tag Team guys is it? Say it enough times and you wont have to do it????

This is quite simple:

The entire community were promised an imported sandy beach like the one at the forty foot in Sandycove, Glasthule, Co. Dublin [which is also all imported sand]

Derek Mitchell,[for reasons best known to him] started diffusing this EIS requirement by publicly stating 'this is a working harbour' not a place for kids to swim...[what swimming has got to do with having a sandy beach to look at I don't know] he was critiqued by the community reminding him that Greystones is not exactly Rotterdam, so he changed his tune, from kids swimming to the imported sand 'silting' up the harbour.

The community drew his attention to the fact that if Sisk were being 'permitted' by Sean Quirke not to place sand on the inner harbour beach [which he must have done else he should not have released the first €5m bond] then the community should get the €500,000 saving by Sisk. Someone suggested that half of this sum could go to Dr. Cuddahy's Wicklow Hospice and the rest to other great local causes around the town including the tidy towns committee.

Im not sure who was doing the math, but I think they forgot to add the cost of dredging which would also be a saving, thus perhaps €1,000,000 could go back to the community!!! We might get the overhead cables out of the main street complete!!!

This is simple:

1) Sisk are contracted to place sand on the inner beach - €50,000
    2) When it gets washed away, they have to replace it say every 3 years €500k
    3) If it silts up the harbour, Sisk have to dredge the harbour say €450k over 30years.

So Sean & Derek, where is the money????? or is it easier just to move the goal posts? Who is going to stop you anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement