Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

Yep on Greystones Open Forum page GUBOH are being called bullies. Grainne McLoughlin's son and partner are on there. Talk about being desperate. It's a sickening read to be honest.

Wasn't it Grainne McLaughlin who sabotaged the harbour community plan last December at the town council meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

gibbon6 wrote: »
    Wasn't it Grainne McLaughlin who sabotaged the harbour community plan last December at the town council meeting?
    i was at that meeting as far as i remember and she abstained on the vote, all other FG voted against, it looked very much orchestrated to me to tell you the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Smile please, back a bit...

10363425_10203889403221451_4338973482710113836_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Thanks for the photographs John.

Its a nice walk apart from the fencing. It is of course a pathetic offering compared to what WCC could have done but its another small step in the right direction and let us not forget that it would never have happened without the efforts of GUBOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

at least they have't put the fencing on the pier itself, like on the southern pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pixbyjohn wrote: »

what are these supposed to be for, they're not just going to leave them like that, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the photographs John.

Its a nice walk apart from the fencing. It is of course a pathetic offering compared to what WCC could have done but its another small step in the right direction and let us not forget that it would never have happened without the efforts of GUBOH.

"It's a nice walk" ? Careful now Fiacra, you're in danger of losing the run of yourself.....::D

what are these supposed to be for, they're not just going to leave them like that, are they?

That's for the boardwalk that WCC have refused to build. And yes they are going to leave it like that. It doesn't interfere with the yachtties so why do anything with it? It will be fine in a decade or so.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    at least they have't put the fencing on the pier itself, like on the southern pier.

You may not be aware that said fencing (which is rusting badly) is ESSENTIAL for public safety. Only on the south pier however. Apparently there is no risk of anyone falling off the North pier only the South one. Possibly something to do with the direction the earth spins ? Anyway probably best not to mention it too much or they might realise their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

You may not be aware that said fencing (which is rusting badly) is ESSENTIAL for public safety. Only on the south pier however. Apparently there is no risk of anyone falling off the North pier only the South one. Possibly something to do with the direction the earth spins ? Anyway probably best not to mention it too much or they might realise their mistake.
    At risk of falling into a sarchasm here, but it's hardly essential?

Two magnificent piers in Dun Laoghaire and not an inch of fencing to be seen on either...

^^^
    that's the point Fiachra was making!

My guess is this - the North pier is wide and spacious - the South pier is way too narrow - they screwed up the design with a pathway less than 2M wide and their concern may be that not enough room for folks to pass by one another safely and they are worried someone might sue them someone might get hurt.

In any event - they can't leave that crap fencing there - the struggle continues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

To hold these bits of wood and concrete up.

694d5f5a8699f9756ea9bd5dcc7ee4af.jpg

38e0013a2beb462a3fbb1baac0904953.jpg

http://omparchitects.com/en/projects/graystones-marina/

Tabnabs wrote: »
    To hold these bits of wood and concrete up.

694d5f5a8699f9756ea9bd5dcc7ee4af.jpg

Oi! Who built all this stuff around my speed boat. I'm now stuck and can't get out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Maybe it's to do with the fact that a fall off the north pier would be into water, whereas a fall off the south pier would be onto concrete or tarmac? Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fat-tony wrote: »
    Maybe it's to do with the fact that a fall off the north pier would be into water, whereas a fall off the south pier would be onto concrete or tarmac? Just an observation.

I assumed it was because the path on the south pier runs alongside the boatyard/lifeguard buildings/clubhouse sites. i.e the fence is for segregation, not safety.

also - why is one of the boats named after Tom Selleck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

loyatemu wrote: »
    also - why is one of the boats named after Tom Selleck?
    mmm - I love Magnums....

The opening of the north pier gives everyone a close look at the horrible pilings protruding like phallic symbols from bowels of the marina. Sisks must now be instructed to build the planned boardwalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In fairness, the boardwalk in the picture cannot be built properly except in conjunction with the apartments, as it is integral to them.

Hmmm...What are the chances of making it back to the apartments safely, along that boardwalk, after a few pints in the Beach House :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

next we'll need a barrier around the cliff walk.. ffs

recedite wrote: »
    In fairness, the boardwalk in the picture cannot be built properly except in conjunction with the apartments, as it is integral to them.

Hmmm...What are the chances of making it back to the apartments safely, along that boardwalk, after a few pints in the Beach House :)

There is no way any apartments will be built at the harbour in the forseeable future. Sisks cannot be allowed to leave the ugly protruding pilings exposed for years and years to come. This derelict development is a total fiasco and embarrassment to Greystones. The Community Plan should now be implemented in full.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is no way any apartments will be built at the harbour in the forseeable future. Sisks cannot be allowed to leave the ugly protruding pilings exposed for years and years to come. This derelict development is a total fiasco and embarrassment to Greystones. The Community Plan should now be implemented in full.

It's coming, don't you worry, it's coming...

0509_aerial.jpg

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's coming, don't you worry, it's coming...

0509_aerial.jpg

So is Christmas!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

So is Christmas!:D

So it's guaranteed then? :D

Even a broken clock is right two times a day:cool:

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    So it's guaranteed then? :D

By certain local councillors yes. They just don't quite seem to be ever able to put a date on it!

BTW they need to redraw those pictures. The yachts they got seemed to be rather smaller than anticipated. Maybe we might be lucky and get the same result with the apartments:)

The way I see it the north pier, while now open to limited pedestrian traffic, because of the silly fencing now has no vehicular access? Is this the case? Is this logical? What happens in an emergency? Should they not have finished the boardwalk before opening the pier up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The way I see it the north pier, while now open to limited pedestrian traffic, because of the silly fencing now has no vehicular access? Is this the case? Is this logical? What happens in an emergency? Should they not have finished the boardwalk before opening the pier up?
    Good points, your late evening inputs remind me so much of Blanchflower ;)

The North Pier makes for a very nice stroll on a fine summer's evening. Great to see so many people on it and around the harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I walked along it yesterday and I was tempted to run and jump into the water but rules are rules. =(

I saw a school of catfish just bobbing up and down on the surface of the water. It was interesting to see so many especially in one place!

I hope they install the lighting soon because it would be really nice to walk along there at night. I wonder will they install them just below the pier...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement