Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

red_bairn wrote: »
    I walked along it yesterday and I was tempted to run and jump into the water but rules are rules. =(

I saw a school of catfish just bobbing up and down on the surface of the water. It was interesting to see so many especially in one place!

I hope they install the lighting soon because it would be really nice to walk along there at night. I wonder will they install them just below the pier...

I agree with you there. It would be nice to have some lights and some decorative roping at the edge. It dies seem dangerous to get too close to the unprotected edges without the protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Didn't seem to be an issue with the old pier, Even for those of us who would cycle on the back wall usually as the result of a dare...:eek:

I recall one fatality many years ago and that was a diving accident from the diving board.. Of course there could have been other incidents of a less serious nature..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

red_bairn wrote: »
    I saw a school of catfish just bobbing up and down on the surface of the water.
    Not catfish, no.
    Maybe mullet if they were big yolks, or sand eels if they were small.

recedite wrote: »
    Not catfish, no.

Mullet angling in the marina would be great sport. I must get some rubby dubby together and deposit in the marina for ground bait.

Not catfish, no.

Mullet angling in the marina would be great sport. I must get some rubby dubby together and deposit in the marina for ground bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

they will drive you mad, making just enough runs to make you think that you have a chance then turning away at the last second, that way lies madness :-)

fenris wrote: »
    they will drive you mad, making just enough runs to make you think that you have a chance then turning away at the last second, that way lies madness :-)

I have always found the noble art of mullet angling challenging yet rewarding. It takes a lot of patience and careful planning but with sufficient ground baiting success is guaranteed. My point in that the marina is tailor made to become a Mecca for mullet angling.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Didn't seem to be an issue with the old pier, Even for those of us who would cycle on the back wall usually as the result of a dare...:eek:

I recall one fatality many years ago and that was a diving accident from the diving board.. Of course there could have been other incidents of a less serious nature..

Nor is it an issue in Dun Laoghaire Pier. More barriers and caging would be very unwelcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

This morning I watched as 4 youngsters aged from about 11/12 down to 5/6 were on scooters on the north pier. While they were very competent as scooters, it was worrying to watch them as they scooted up and down without a fear in the world. There was an adult following them but he hadn't reached the pier until they were at the end.
    I would have expected that this type of activity would not be allowed for the obvious reasons that it is dangerous.
    No signs to say cycling or scooters/skateboards prohibited.
    I didn't see anybody in an official capacity to whom I could express my concern regarding the dangers of this activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see scooters and bikes (and roller-bladers) on Dun Laoghaire pier all the time (there's specific bye-laws about the times that cycling is permitted but its not completely banned). Not aware of any fatalities or serious accidents as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think we have enough restrictions around the harbour area without looking for more. In my opinion the activities cited should be controlled by parents / guardians. It's down to personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

vinpaul wrote: »
    This morning I watched as 4 youngsters aged from about 11/12 down to 5/6 were on scooters on the north pier. While they were very competent as scooters, it was worrying to watch them as they scooted up and down without a fear in the world. There was an adult following them but he hadn't reached the pier until they were at the end.
    I would have expected that this type of activity would not be allowed for the obvious reasons that it is dangerous.
    No signs to say cycling or scooters/skateboards prohibited.
    I didn't see anybody in an official capacity to whom I could express my concern regarding the dangers of this activity.

I agree that it is frightening to watch when kids are playing but most piers at the seaside don't have railings, chains or similar to protect anyone falling in.
    I don't think it is necessary to put any more railings on the harbour and I certainly wish that there are no accidents occurring because of a lack of same.
    Saying that, if my grandkids were on the pier I would be watching them like a hawk and making sure I was between them and the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Richard Parker

Just back from a walk along the pier. Broken glass, dog sh1t, the walls are destroyed with the entrails of whatever it is the fishermen use for bait, empty cans & bottles, chip shop leftovers, you name it it's all there. Coupled with the ghastly green wire fence it really is very unpleasant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just back from a walk along the pier. Broken glass, dog sh1t, the walls are destroyed with the entrails of whatever it is the fishermen use for bait, empty cans & bottles, chip shop leftovers, you name it it's all there. Coupled with the ghastly green wire fence it really is very unpleasant.

Which begs the question, who currently controls, oversees and has responsibility for the harbour? If you trip and fall on an unsafe surface, who is to blame?

A few pics of the problem would highlight the issue and may prompt somebody to come out of the woodwork and do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Which begs the question, who currently controls, oversees and has responsibility for the harbour?

The Harbourmaster presumably.

Also, I know this is a more general problem around the town, but would it kill them to put a few bins around the place - its an area with high pedestrian traffic, a lot of people walking dogs etc.

In an ideal world people would bring their rubbish home with them but if there were bins there people would use them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

loyatemu wrote: »

A Harbour Master has statutory powers enshrined in legislation and is appointed by the Minister for Transport (or Fisheries). None of this applies to Greystones harbour. In this case, its more Marina Manager and AFAIK, he has no authority off the pontoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

loyatemu wrote: »

Also, I know this is a more general problem around the town, but would it kill them to put a few bins around the place - its an area with high pedestrian traffic, a lot of people walking dogs etc.

In an ideal world people would bring their rubbish home with them but if there were bins there people would use them.

Bins wont be put in (some were removed) as the harbour company will not take responsabilty for emptying them and the council wont empty bins on private land. Tidy town arranged for a wheely bin to be attaced to a lamp post near the "beach". They have made a deal that someone from tidy towns will collect the bag from the bin when needed and leave it by the road side where someone from the council has agreed to pick it up from.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Isn't Joe Redmond the harbourmaster? He was before.

Wasn't that of the old harbour? Can't remember the name of the most recent one, but Pixbyjohn had a photo of him up but I'm too lazy to look for it..

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Wasn't that of the old harbour? Can't remember the name of the most recent one, but Pixbyjohn had a photo of him up but I'm too lazy to look for it..

Gordon Hunter, man in the middle.
    9487463431_fac41e2ae5_z.jpgHorse & Hound Spud Fest 2013 (57) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement

The very man..

Open to correction on this, but AFAIK the contract for the provision of a "harbourmaster" ended a short while before the marina opened, and the job of "the marina manager" is not quite the same.

That appears to be the case..how far beyond the marina would the managers powers extend? can't imagine he's responsible for maintaining the south pier for instance.. Who locks and unlocks the north pier access gates that decide when the great unwashed are allowed through? Who will enforce the ' no fishing, no swimming, no jumping' signs?
    Or will things slowly revert to how the old pier was used, when , say at three in the morning if I decided I needed a pier to jump/swim/fish off I could wander down to the harbour and indulge without fear of prosecution..

FirstIn wrote: »
    Isn't Joe Redmond the harbourmaster? He was before.

He is on Baywatch duties now;)
    11423549394_0f8894f17c_c.jpgJoe by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

I'm guessing the marina manager covers the north pier but not the south pier. He has been seen to chase kayakers out of the marina, that is the area encircled by the north pier. Presumably he also locks up the two new gates every evening.
    The little gate on the north pier is a handy short cut from the car park to the north beach BTW, in case anyone hasn't seen it there. Not that there is much to see on the north beach these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Not that there is much to see on the north beach these days.

Ah here! There is lovely artwork down there! :>

What's the deal with the mooring buoys, do they ever have boats on them?

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What's the deal with the mooring buoys, do they ever have boats on them?

Not so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement