Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What market research?

Plus, is there a viable market out there waiting to snap up seaside houses and apartments in a small town almost 40km from Dublin CC?

have a look at property prices in Greystones on MyHome.ie - there's definitely a market for houses; apartments I'm not so sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yes there's a market for family homes. I know there are lots of families living in apartments, but depending on the actual apartment sizes in the planned development will depend on what type of buyer you'll get. So if the original scheme is mainly made up of 2-bed apartments, the market will be limited.

What is the make up of residential units in the development?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

What market research?

I should have clarified that I have no particular knowledge of any market research that may or may not have been done. I am assuming, perhaps naively, that construction companies now scrutinize the business plans for speculative developments much more carefully than they used to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The link I posted above in post #2658 shows the spread of houses and apartments and during what phase they will be built.

If there's a market for them, then why change the agreed plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I couldn't reference them but there have been numerous articles in the papers on this subject over the last year or more discussing the demand for 3+bedroom houses -in certain areas- versus the oversupply of apartments.

Perhaps most telling is the lobbying by the building industry to have residential densities relaxed to allow the building of houses rather than apartments. The CIF in it submission on the 2014 budget stated that it was impossible to sell apartments outside of the centres of major urban areas.

Hence the need to change the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Exactly ... There is a proposed development on the north side of the town going through that self same process at the moment....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

With the chronic under supply of social housing, perhaps the new apartments would contain a large element of this category? Cheaper for the CoCo to purchase and would alleviate the problem of 4,154 families (2013 figure) waiting on social housing in Wicklow alone.

Besides, apartments come a long way down the list in the development phase. I'd say it's a safe bet to say they'll arrive when demand is returning for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

To the people who are proposing.. to buy these houses and or apartments, I would advise them.. some serious market research....Would you want to buy a house there given the current erosion, and apparent lack of anything concrete(?) to halt it....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

aynneone wrote: »
    To the people who are proposing.. to buy these houses and or apartments, I would advise them.. some serious market research....Would you want to buy a house there given the current erosion, and apparent lack of anything concrete(?) to halt it....

the proposed buildings are all behind the harbour walls, its the open space elements of the scheme that are further up the hill and liable to erosion.

With the chronic under supply of social housing, perhaps the new apartments would contain a large element of this category? Cheaper for the CoCo to purchase and would alleviate the problem of 4,154 families (2013 figure) waiting on social housing in Wicklow alone.

Besides, apartments come a long way down the list in the development phase. I'd say it's a safe bet to say they'll arrive when demand is returning for them.

I should have mentioned that sources within Sisk themselves have confirmed this. In addition my understanding from what I have read is that economists don't expect demand for apartments (outside of urban centres) to return to celtic tiger levels anytime in the foreseeable future if ever.

• Advertisement

So Sisks have said no apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Houses, apartments - what's the difference? We will see high-density units in blocks probably ranging from 2-5 bed - I don't envisage we will see any large detached properties.

So Sisks have said no apartments?

Not no apartments but the implication was that there would be a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is that a "Jolly Roger" being unfurled there?
    Any photos of the catch John?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Some of those lovely crustaceans were on sale in Donnybrook Fair on Saturday. The one we bought was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

pixbyjohn wrote: »

On the off chance anyone is wondering/interested, that's Tim not Ivan...;)

• Advertisement

Press Release from GUBOH

The Give Us Back Our Harbour (GUBOH) organisation has welcomed the decision by Greystones Municipal Council to hold a meeting of stakeholders in Greystones Harbour to discuss ways in which the derelict site can be improved. The meeting, which will include TD’s, Wicklow County Council and Sisks, together with the company that prepared the interim landscaping plan known as the Community Harbour plan, will take place in September. “The decision to hold this meeting is a very positive step” said GUBOH spokesperson Fiachra Etchingham. “Proposals have been put forward for landscaping the area, they have been professionally costed and require only a very modest investment by Sisks. It is high time these proposals were given serious consideration by all concerned.

“Originally various reasons were advanced as to why landscaping and removal of fencing could not be undertaken. These included the suggestion that the North Pier could not be opened for safety reasons or that grassed sections would have to remain fenced because of the need for the developers to retain control of these areas. Recent developments such as the opening of the North Pier and the partial opening of an area near the marina have shown that these arguments were not valid and that the only obstacle to progress is financial. Given the small cost involved and in the context of the 7 year delay in completing the project, finance should not be an issue and so we hope that the proposed meeting will lead to significant progress. We therefore welcome the Council’s decision and look forward to working with all Councillors to have the harbour area restored as an attractive public amenity”.

^^^
    Maybe this time we will get a positive outcome.

legrand wrote: »
    ^^^
    Maybe this time we will get a positive outcome.
    If the proposed meeting goes ahead with everyone invited taking part and I am not being cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

On a lighter note I never knew fishermen could be so sexy .... might have to start going back to the harbour again after about a 4 year break ....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is this a public Municipal council meeting?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

While it absolutely should be public I cannot see Sisk or WCC attending a public meeting. I would also have lconcerns about the attendance of TDs apart from Stephen Donnelly.
    With the local elections over there is little pressure can be applied to force attendance.
    If it were to go ahead with all the stakeholders having the courage to openly participate then it would be a triumph for local democracy.
    Let's hope it does come about with public attendance or not.

From Councillor Derek Mitchell…

There have been protests by Greystones fishermen complaining there is no place for them in the new harbour. There was only one full time fisherman using the old harbour in the years before it was closed. I have asked that fish landing facilities should be provided for him and expect this can be done. Part time anglers have much better facilities than before.

We must avoid the stench that comes from fishing boats in and around Wicklow Port. Greystones harbour is small and because it does not have a river running through it to flush it out, unlike Wicklow, it will get easily polluted by washing the boats and fish. The picture shows how discarded fish are quickly eaten by seagulls and create a terrible mess in the fishing port of Kinsale. This must not happen in Greystones.

Greystones has a rapidly developing tourist trade with yachts coming from elsewhere, especially North Wales. These are very impressed with the town and spend heavily in pubs and restaurants. There are as many berths in North Wales as in this country which is a good tourism base for Greystones. There are also over 100 Greystones people who pay substantial money to moor their boats. This money pays for the maintenance and staffing of the harbour. Neither of these groups will remain here if they have the smell and mess of a fishing port.

Fair play to Peter Murtagh, on Sunday afternoon I saw him pick up rubbish at the harbour and bin it. (not his rubbish by the way)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/profile/peter-murtagh-7.1837453

• Advertisement

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    From Councillor Derek Mitchell…

There have been protests by Greystones fishermen complaining there is no place for them in the new harbour. There was only one full time fisherman using the old harbour in the years before it was closed. I have asked that fish landing facilities should be provided for him and expect this can be done. Part time anglers have much better facilities than before.

We must avoid the stench that comes from fishing boats in and around Wicklow Port. Greystones harbour is small and because it does not have a river running through it to flush it out, unlike Wicklow, it will get easily polluted by washing the boats and fish. The picture shows how discarded fish are quickly eaten by seagulls and create a terrible mess in the fishing port of Kinsale. This must not happen in Greystones.

Greystones has a rapidly developing tourist trade with yachts coming from elsewhere, especially North Wales. These are very impressed with the town and spend heavily in pubs and restaurants. There are as many berths in North Wales as in this country which is a good tourism base for Greystones. There are also over 100 Greystones people who pay substantial money to moor their boats. This money pays for the maintenance and staffing of the harbour. Neither of these groups will remain here if they have the smell and mess of a fishing port.

As an drunken, obese (and lets face it, superior seaman as compared to those stinking fishermen oiks) Welsh man I wish to extend my gratitude to Cllr Mitchel for his continued support. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the removal of those families and their loathsome children from beach area (more rocks please) too.

Actually, I have seen 2 welsh flagged yachts in the harbour this summer - on both occasions I noticed the owners (neither fat nor drunk) enjoying a meal on deck - packed dinner I wonder? Can't say I've noticed any welsh sailors around town. Anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement