Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Is it true that representatives of the management company cut mooring cleats off the north wall to prevent fishing boats tying up there?

Is it also true that the reason there are no boats using the harbour moorings is because when someone enquires they are told all the moorings are taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Is it true that representatives of the management company cut mooring cleats off the north wall to prevent fishing boats tying up there?

Is it also true that the reason there are no boats using the harbour moorings is because when someone enquires they are told all the moorings are taken?

The cleats were removed definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

The cleats were removed and the moorings (which are in any case virtually unusable) are not available to anyone.

All of which is of course in flagrant breach of the planning permission

It is a great pity that the councillor concerned wouldn't spend less time reflecting on her wisdom and more time actually compelling the County Manager to enforce the planning laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It might disappoint the good Cllr, but in other harbours and marinas, fishing and leisure boats sit happily together.
    Not in Greystones though, where freshly caught fish are considered to be a biohazardous material.

Maybe she is thinking if the trawlers moored outside the harbour, they could land their catch at the slipway directly into a waiting van, using a little "tender" boat, and then go away again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

5hMTUz.jpg

16114667666_2a135fe2d6_c.jpgLegrand Photo by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

LEIN wrote: »
    :confused:

Views good to me?

OK, but I have to scroll vertical and horizontal to view on original posting. Usually Boards.ie ask you to post 800 on longest side
    From the photography forum >>>* All images must be 800 pixels or less on the longest side. Any posts with images which break this rule will be deleted.
    Will I delete my previous post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    OK, but I have to scroll vertical and horizontal to view on original posting. Usually Boards.ie ask you to post 800 on longest side
    From the photography forum >>>* All images must be 800 pixels or less on the longest side. Any posts with images which break this rule will be deleted.
    Will I delete my previous post?

Oh, chrome automatically resized it for me.

It's not my picture, it's up to legrand as it's his picture.

LEIN wrote: »
    Oh, chrome automatically resized it for me.

It's not my picture, it's up to legrand as it's his picture.

No problem. Happy New Year Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Good to see the fishing trawler & associated fish boxes happily co-existed with other harbour users happily back in 2007 without smelling like Kinsale

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Good to see the fishing trawler & associated fish boxes happily co-existed with other harbour users happily back in 2007 without smelling like Kinsale
    There are 2 trawlers presently using the Marina in Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Active fishing trawlers unloading catch in the marina?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Sadly for her the only safe place for boats of any size or class is the inner basin. In any bad weather (easterly) the outer basin is totally unprotected.

It might disappoint the good Cllr, but in other harbours and marinas, fishing and leisure boats sit happily together.

1075675_a2304062.jpg
    Brighton Marina

A disaster all round and an appalling eyesore :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Honestly! wrote: »
    A disaster all round and an appalling eyesore :(

Brighton Marina or Greystones Harbour? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Brighton Marina or Greystones Harbour? :confused:

Eh, Greystones Marina...an anagram of " I got NAMA eyesore"

;)

It's alright, when they build the apartments and houses the harbour will be fully enclosed and you won't have to suffer the view any more.

;)

• Advertisement

^^^
    Yay.

img_5577-copy.jpg

Oh

Well. Here we are in mid January and the building of the clubhouses that was absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt (and how dare you think otherwise!) going to start in January has well.........not started! There may be people who find this surprising but they must live in Bray because at this stage I doubt if anyone in Greystones does.

And still no outcry or action from those that were so vociferous in the past. They have copped on that it doesn't work maybe!

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    And still no outcry or action from those that were so vociferous in the past. They have copped on that it doesn't work maybe!

If you are suggesting that the efforts of GUBOH were futile and should never have been undertaken you:
    (A) are utterly incorrect as the improvements that have happened since work ceased in 2010 have been entirely the result of the lobbying of GUBOH and Tom Fortune
    (B)are -albeit unintentionally-giving grave offence to a number of people, many elderly and at least one deceased, who worked tirelessly, in good faith, to try and improve the situation of the rest of the people of Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Harry Kane

It looks like the bounders are starting to fall out from behind the pillars. Will this undermine the strength of the breakwaters?

Looks like Sisk are back on site. Crews in the club area and also diggers/bulldozers in the larger derelict area.

Could this be the beginning of something substantive or just an another exercise of moving some dirt about to give the impression things are in progress?

PS: Does anyone know what the story is with http://www.greystonesguide.ie/ - site under maintenance since before Xmas - was occasionally useful for harbour updates & political posturing?

legrand wrote: »
    PS: Does anyone know what the story is with http://www.greystonesguide.ie/ - site under maintenance since before Xmas - was occasionally useful for harbour updates & political posturing?

The site is down due to a virus/malware attack. It was supposed to be ready by the weekend just gone. Hopefully it will be up and running soon again.

Harry Kane wrote: »
    It looks like the bounders are starting to fall out from behind the pillars. Will this undermine the strength of the breakwaters?

No, these boulders have been like this since the Piers were built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

pixbyjohn wrote:
    The site is down due to a virus/malware attack. It was supposed to be ready by the weekend just gone. Hopefully it will be up and running soon again.

Are they paying somebody to sort it? It's been down for a while now, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement