Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

recedite wrote: »
    The problem here is that the project was originally set up as a public/private partnership, which means some of the unelected council officials have been busy covering their asses since the project went pear shaped.

The current crop of councillors see it as their job to represent the interests of the public (or at least to make it look like they are)

Some of the older cohort of councillors who were there at the start of the project, and supported it even when the majority of townspeople were against it, are still in the business of trying to justify their original actions.

So if it comes down to a conflict between the public interest and the developers interest, there is a whole treacherous scheming range of motives among the various "public servants" involved.

Very true. Fine Gael/Fianna Fail supported the original submission by Sispar, all other submissions and, the recent reversion to the original submission. A couple of the FG councillors were almost working full time trying to push it through.

Unfortunately, it's not about what's right for the area, it's about not losing face and, despite this being a massive eyesore, these councillors stubbornly refuse to admit how wrong it all went and to accept that many of the objections proved to be well founded.

It will take a lot of work to make this anyway decent looking, especially as the "park area" is no longer a feature as the above Councillors agreed to have apartments built there instead. Astonishing, given that this is how the same councillors "sold" the "revised" submission i.e. with an 8% reduction in number of apartments to be replaced by the park area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Harry Bosch

I think Harry Kane is right — €30m written off by NAMA, which means Sispar's cost of marine works is down to €40m. Then WCC gave them four acres of the public park to build more houses — value now about €25m. So their total actual investment so far is €15m in reality.

And WCC also gave them more millions by letting them NOT carry out the coastal protection works.

Basically, they are going to get a huge ROI as they have invested NOTHING!

20797996478_ffb2528668_c.jpgDSC_9004 by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what is the building currently being constructed direct beside the carpark at the harbour? I know the buildings further along the harbour are clubhouses for the sailing, rowing etc clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

loyatemu wrote: »
    what is the building currently being constructed direct beside the carpark at the harbour? I know the buildings further along the harbour are clubhouses for the sailing, rowing etc clubs.

fishermans huts if we are thinking of the same place.
    i hope they plan on rendering / painting the buildings rather than leave them as concrete blocks.

Similar to the old huts with the multicoloured doors? Aren't commercial fishermen currently banned?

Similar to the old huts with the multicoloured doors? Aren't commercial fishermen currently banned?

Yep thats right. Im not sure what the story is but heard they were just allowed to add them without planning permission or being included in any previous plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Jimjay wrote: »
    Yep thats right. Im not sure what the story is but heard they were just allowed to add them without planning permission or being included in any previous plans.

Really? Where'd you hear that from? In actual fact, these were always in the plans. They're even in OMP architects renderings (available 1st page of google search).

See attached.http://omparchitects.com/en/projects/graystones-marina/

0509_aerial.jpg
    camera02a_email_2.jpg

• Advertisement

love all the random people wandering around, seemingly on their way to work, via the marina.

karma_coma wrote: »
    Really? Where'd you hear that from? In actual fact, these were always in the plans. They're even in OMP architects renderings (available 1st page of google search).

<Mod note: No need to quote entire post>

Fair enough, thanks. Its strange what info goes around that is totally incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

love all the random people wandering around, seemingly on their way to work, via the marina.

It reminds of The Sims game. And the Coast Guard building looks amazing in that picture. I hope it looks that good when it's built....eventually, as Mr Harris keeps promising.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    It reminds of The Sims game. And the Coast Guard building looks amazing in that picture. I hope it looks that good when it's built....eventually, as Mr Harris keeps promising.

is that the Coastguard building on the left of the picture, with the right-hand block containing the sailing/rowing/angling clubs and the sea scouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

astrofluff wrote: »

That is the distant future when all the ice caps have melted :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

Hi,

Where are the documents stored that allowed the project scope to change - (removing the park and not providing north beach protection).

Is there any minutes and who was present at the meetings?

Regards,.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

micandre wrote: »
    Hi,

Where are the documents stored that allowed the project scope to change - (removing the park and not providing north beach protection).

Is there any minutes and who was present at the meetings?

Regards,.

Here: http://www.greystonesguide.ie/disputed-harbour-land-disposal-sparks-special-meeting/

Greystones Municipal District meeting on the 29th September.

Documents seem to show that Sisk will be gifted another 14 acres of land (I tell a lie - they are pay a grand sum of €10). A holding company that includes Derek Mitchel as director to oversea the disposal of lands. Right, so we can expect the community interests to be core to that.

There's a [poor] image that appears to show works at the 'new beach' (as it was once described) at the North end of the harbour and along side the rock armour.

I was speaking to a local woman recently who heard we could be looking at a 5-year construction period. 5 more years of this crap.

21639844131_ccdc7e2437_c.jpg_DSC4717 by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

21443936459_6672cf1dc4_c.jpg_DSC4718 by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

October! We've skipped a whole month! :eek: :)

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    October! We've skipped a whole month! :eek: :)

oooops

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://issuu.com/exsite/docs/harbourlandtransfera?e=2513774%2F30296452

Worth a read; regarding the "transfer" of lands in the harbour area.

and also:
    Greystones Harbour Public square, park and boardwalk to proceed. 20 Councillors were for and 3 against transferring land to build 358 homes to the builder who has rebuilt the wrecked harbour. The builder is now working fast to complete the free clubhouses for the Sea Scouts, Rowers, Divers, Sailors and Anglers. Cllr Whitmore did not want to transfer the land even though the meeting was told that the Council was obliged to transfer the land in return for rebuilding the harbour. We need to finish the harbour ASAP as development would stop with legal cases and a half finished site if we did not fulfil our side of the contract. People in Greystones want this project finished.
    https://www.facebook.com/CllrDMitchell/posts/441670889364990

free clubhouses

disingenuous to describe these as "free" - the developer is being well compensated for building them.

^^^
    Typical spin from you know who

Mitchell is, in essence, Sisk's PR man in Greystones. On this issue, he is not to be trusted.

Anyway, there's another view of what's going on down there. I'm new to this, so I am not allowed to post a link or an image — in fact, I just discovered I can't even quote a link in an existing post — (why? I ask myself), but if you go to Greystones Guide look for the article headed The Great Greystones Land Grab which deals with how councillors just a couple of weeks back transferred the publicly-owned 14.5 acres into a private company for disposal.

The point being that councillors will no longer be able to supervise how the land is disposed of, once it's out of WCC's ownership.

What is going on?

legrand wrote: »
    Here: .greystonesguide.ie/disputed-harbour-land-disposal-sparks-special-meeting

Greystones Municipal District meeting on the 29th September.

Documents seem to show that Sisk will be gifted another 14 acres of land (I tell a lie - they are pay a grand sum of €10). A holding company that includes Derek Mitchel as director to oversea the disposal of lands. Right, so we can expect the community interests to be core to that.

There's a [poor] image that appears to show works at the 'new beach' (as it was once described) at the North end of the harbour and along side the rock armour.

I was speaking to a local woman recently who heard we could be looking at a 5-year construction period. 5 more years of this crap.

That should be AT LEAST five more years.

A schedule prepared for Sisk last year by its architects had a start date of September 2014 for the clubhouses etc, to be finished early to mid 2016. That has slipped by a whole year, due to the fact that Sisk couldn't find a building partner.

That schedule showed the housing etc final phase being completed by end-2020. So if the same schedule applies but started a year late, the earliest we can expect completion is 2021, six years from now.

Or, 14.5 years to complete a project originally given four years and four months!

Just about anywhere else that would be a scandal up for investigation. Here, it's three monkeys time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm new to this, so I am not allowed to post a link or an image — in fact, I just discovered I can't even quote a link in an existing post — (why? I ask myself)

There are very good (noncommercial) reasons for this that I have been asked by Boards.ie not get into.
    If I did you knew why I am confident that you would be in complete agreement.
    Posts from new users with links are permitted, they just need to be approved by a moderator first.

This is a regional forum, not a political forum please consider this when posting.
    Political discussions are better suited to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

legrand wrote: »

This is outrageous. I am in a quandary of disbelief as to how our public representatives do not indeed represent us. In fact they disenfranchise us. For what gain and for whom. Qui Bono ?
    Certainly not the population of the town.
    Outrageous behaviour.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement