Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

Finally we get to see some landscaping work at the harbour entrance , its amazing what the prospect of house sales can do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Finally we get to see some landscaping work at the harbour entrance , its amazing what the prospect of house sales can do

haha, any photos? I'm not residing in Greystones at the moment.

red_bairn wrote: »
    haha, any photos? I'm not residing in Greystones at the moment.
    Above

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Above

I saw those John but none of the landscaping. :(

I saw those John but none of the landscaping. :(
    They are only laying & seeding the top soil at the moment. Trees will be planted in the next weeks or so.
    25347889691_78a4aa30ca_c.jpgGreystones Harbour Works 2/3/2016 by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

They are only laying & seeding the top soil at the moment. Trees will be planted in the next weeks or so.

Ah right. Do you know when they plan on working on the board walk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ah right. Do you know when they plan on working on the board walk?

the Boardwalk is pretty much the last item on the their list, so if you were planning on havin' some fun, out of the sun, with people walking above, whilst falling in love; you'll have to wait.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the Boardwalk is pretty much the last item on the their list, so if you were planning on havin' some fun, out of the sun, with people walking above, whilst falling in love; you'll have to wait.

Either getting scrapes from the rocks and swimming underneath....nahhhhhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Some planting of trees and benches going on today.

379766.JPG

Jimjay wrote: »

Do you think they'll put in supports for the trees? They might blow over in strong winds. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know where this year's Christmas tree will come from :PAC:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Do you think they'll put in supports for the trees? They might blow over in strong winds. :S

Nah! they'll anchor them with yet more concrete.

The harbour is just another change in the local scenery.
    Greystones has witnessed many many changes over the years.
    We cannot keep on cribbing about the lovely fields that that were lost to housing estates in our area, the influx of residents and the new supermarkets, cafes and businesses that employ our locals in the main. Let us be positive at this stage and stop nitpicking.
    I welcome the changes and hope that Greystones as a community prospers in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The harbour is just another change in the local scenery.
    Greystones has witnessed many many changes over the years.
    We cannot keep on cribbing about the lovely fields that that were lost to housing estates in our area, the influx of residents and the new supermarkets, cafes and businesses that employ our locals in the main. Let us be positive at this stage and stop nitpicking.
    I welcome the changes and hope that Greystones as a community prospers in the future.

Well said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Harry Kane

I too was a witness to the planting of these trees at the harbour today and I noticed that the root balls on these trees were very very small. I also noted that they were not anchored and given the exposed location they will be blown over in a moderate blow.

Personally my nit picking has been mostly limited to the harbour and not to the other items mentioned. My loss perhaps, but I expect I will remain bitter about the loss of the old harbour and the destruction of the north beach to end of my days. Will I get used to it? Probably - I do have a life after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Harry Kane wrote: »
    I noticed that the root balls on these trees were very very small. I also noted that they were not anchored and given the exposed location they will be blown over in a moderate blow.
    Pine trees normally have a long tap root, so I hope these ones will survive when dry weather arrives, because they are a bit on the large size for transplanting. They will probably be staked later; just give the lads a chance to finish their work.
    I've seen largish trees like this going in to new housing estates to jazz up the place just before the showhouses are finished. But other than that its cheaper and more successful to plant small trees and let them grow.
    Does anyone else think this seem out of character for Sisk to suddenly start spending money now on jazzing up the place with trees and benches?

They must have decided that it could take a year or two for them to convert the soul-less derelict image the harbour has now, into the vibrant sought-after place they want it to be when the first housing units come on stream.
    Can we expect free ice cream and clowns to be laid on down there this summer, to further entice people down to the concrete harbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

recedite wrote: »
    Pine trees normally have a long tap root, so I hope these ones will survive when dry weather arrives, because they are a bit on the large size for transplanting. They will probably be staked later; just give the lads a chance to finish their work.
    I've seen largish trees like this going in to new housing estates to jazz up the place just before the showhouses are finished. But other than that its cheaper and more successful to plant small trees and let them grow.
    Does anyone else think this seem out of character for Sisk to suddenly start spending money now on jazzing up the place with trees and benches?

They must have decided that it could take a year or two for them to convert the soul-less derelict image the harbour has now, into the vibrant sought-after place they want it to be when the first housing units come on stream.
    Can we expect free ice cream and clowns to be laid on down there this summer, to further entice people down to the concrete harbour?

When are the first units on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

recedite wrote: »
    But other than that its cheaper and more successful to plant small trees and let them grow.

It's also easier for mischief-making teenagers/drunks to snap the trees (as happened in Charlesland back in the day).

The trees were stalked today - which is a good job as they all blew down last night :-)

I hope they are planted in good deep soil rather than builders rubble and cement.
    The place is starting to look fab though and my little business at the Harbour is looking forward to the summer

The trees were stalked today - which is a good job as they all blew down last night :-)

I hope they are planted in good deep soil rather than builders rubble and cement.
    The place is starting to look fab though and my little business at the Harbour is looking forward to the summer

Oh what business? :D

Yeah, we can only wait for the improvements. Have they opened the road beside the sailing club or is that opened at a later date?

The staking of the trees is a most welcome development. Thanks for the update. Lets hope that their very small root balls were not damaged too much last night following their predicted falling over in a moderate blow.

they are planted in a relatively shallow opening (3-40cm deep I would estimate) onto rubble. That is what I observed.

Oh what business? :D

Yeah, we can only wait for the improvements. Have they opened the road beside the sailing club or is that opened at a later date?

The Boat Yard Gallery and Workshop in the courtyard beside La Creperie :-)

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    they are planted in a relatively shallow opening (3-40cm deep I would estimate) onto rubble. That is what I observed.

Sounds as if these poor trees will struggle to survive in this hostile environment. Have the poor things been planted on top of builders rubble? Perhaps a better option would have been to place the type of artificial trees which double up a mobile phone masts on top of the builders rubble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement