Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA/UFC books

• 23-10-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

It's getting close to christmas and I would quite like a book on MMA/UFC. I have seen books by Liddell, Ortiz and Hughes and i'm wondering if any of these are any good. I have also seen "Blood in the Cage: Mixed Martial Arts, Pat Miletich, and the Furious Rise of the UFC" which sounds interesting.

Anyway, any reccomendations would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Surly

I've read Ortiz's and Hughes' books and didn't think much of them, other than getting a few laughs out of Matt H.

I've heard very good things about Jens Pulver's book "Little Evil", maybe give that a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I've just started reading Forest Griffin's 'Got Fight?' and so far it's very amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I heard that Matt Hughes' book is supposed to be one of the most stupid things ever written...Good thread on sherdog about it..a fella saying he got it in a $0.99 store...Most people were saying he was ripped off..LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I have Matt Hughes book. It's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I've read loads of MMA books, and without doubt " Total MMA " is the best. It covers EVERYTHING from the early days of Gracie JJ to UFC to Pride to stories outside the cage.
    Absolutely amazing book.

Have also read I think it's called " Evolution " which covered the UFC in general, excellent also.

Do not miss Total MMA ( and I didn't write it by the way )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I enjoyed Liddell's book some mad stories in it and i kinda believe them cause he'd get up to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I've read loads of MMA books, and without doubt " Total MMA " is the best. It covers EVERYTHING from the early days of Gracie JJ to UFC to Pride to stories outside the cage.
    Absolutely amazing book.

Have also read I think it's called " Evolution " which covered the UFC in general, excellent also.

Got Total MMA and I loved it. Very comprehensive history and I liked the chapter style of switching back and forth between JApan and the US as opposed to covering it in one chunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Destructo

Ya TOTAL MMA inside ultimate fighting by Jonathan Snowden, is awsome by far the best read on mma was only 16 euro in waterstones in cork, you will be an mma encyclopedia after it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

You won't go wrong with Randy Coutures Becoming the Natural

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    You won't go wrong with Randy Coutures Becoming the Natural

I got fed up with Randy's repeated " when i met ( insert random woman here ) we got on so well that i realised that me and ( insert current wife / gf at that time ) were drifting apart.
    :D

You are either chasing or you ain't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

A fighters heart by Sam Sheridan - EXCELLENT
    Title shot: into the shark tank of mixed martial arts by Kelly Trigger - VERY GOOD
    Got Fight! by Forrest Griffin - AMAZINGLY FUNNY

Matt Hughes book - was OK read but not as good as 3 mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I thought Tito's book was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Got Fight is hilarious
    A must buy
    griffin is one crazy dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

callaway92 wrote: »
    I heard that Matt Hughes' book is supposed to be one of the most stupid things ever written...Good thread on sherdog about it..a fella saying he got it in a $0.99 store...Most people were saying he was ripped off..LOL

I was keen on buying the matt hughes book until i read some reviews on it
    a while back
    I wouldnt pay $0.99 for it either
    That guy is one despicable human being and the worst kind of bully
    I was never as happy as when gsp beat him
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66067

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

matt hughes book jus shows how big an idiot he is and made me dislike him all the more,liddells book is funny some cracking stories in it but fighters heart is an excellent book except for the chapter on meditation it jus bored me but it gave a great insight into some of the top gyms in the world and the characters in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I found Chucks book to be bursts of great stories linked by long periods of boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I got fed up with Randy's repeated " when i met ( insert random woman here ) we got on so well that i realised that me and ( insert current wife / gf at that time ) were drifting apart.
    :D

You are either chasing or you ain't

I wonder who made him realize him and Kim were drifting apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tomagetti

just finished reading blood in the cage last week. Was a very good read and would def recomend it

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Menace2Society

Total MMA is by far one of the best books I have read about mma, most mma books suck Gracies cock for starting mma, but it also gives the history from Japan as well. Very good read.

Fedor has a book as well but haven't read it, anyone got it? What's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

wandy wrote: »
    A fighters heart by Sam Sheridan - EXCELLENT
    Avoid. A really terribly written tourist book by a rich brat looking to "find himself". It's awful, it's like reading something by some 18th century English colonialist "and then the Militech team accepted me into their tribe and made me their leader". He did very little fighting, precious little training and an awful lot of talking about his soul which isn't a very interesting soul by the by.

Though not strictly MMA, if you're looking for a book about combat and why we're driven to watch or to train, there's nothing more thought provoking, sad and absorbing than War Baby, the story of the infamous McLellan vs. Benn fight.

• Advertisement

Roper wrote: »
    Avoid. A really terribly written tourist book by a rich brat looking to "find himself". It's awful, it's like reading something by some 18th century English colonialist "and then the Militech team accepted me into their tribe and made me their leader". He did very little fighting, precious little training and an awful lot of talking about his soul which isn't a very interesting soul by the by.

Have to disagree on this one as the writer isnt a fighter he was a journalist who wanted to know more about combat and hada few Muay Thai fights etc along the way. I liked how he went to visit different places to observe different fighting cultures and all.

Everyone to their own opinon but I loved the book and would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ultimatemma

Absolutely amazing book.

This book is by far the best!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No Holds Barred, Ultimate Fighting and the Mixed Martial Arts Revolution - Clyde Gentry

Very good book, sounds quite like Total MMA, although I've not read that one yet. Gentry's book follows the history of the sport from the origins of BJJ right up to around UFC 65ish. Covers Pride and others too.

Chuck's book was good, Hughes' not so good. The bit about him having sex with his wife whose boobs were bleeding after getting them done was way more than I needed to hear. (so I thought I should share with you all)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

going to read forest's got fight, looks interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've got Forrest's and Chuck's, Forrest's is the best

The best UFC book i do have though is Octagon, all pictures but amazing pictures, an essential for any UFC fan

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/6705451/Octagon/Product.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Read Forrest's book ‘Got Fight’ and it’s a right laugh. Only think I’d say it’s a bit short when you take out all the pictures of moves and stuff of Forrest in his pj’s and socks.
    Still worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No Holds Barred, Ultimate Fighting and the Mixed Martial Arts Revolution - Clyde Gentry

Very good book, sounds quite like Total MMA, although I've not read that one yet. Gentry's book follows the history of the sport from the origins of BJJ right up to around UFC 65ish. Covers Pride and others too.

I've read that one too. It gives a good factual account but could have been written better IMO. It struggled to hold my attention in places and would definitely not recommend it to someone unless they had a strong interest in the subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

wandy wrote: »
    Have to disagree on this one as the writer isnt a fighter he was a journalist who wanted to know more about combat and hada few Muay Thai fights etc along the way. I liked how he went to visit different places to observe different fighting cultures and all.

Everyone to their own opinon but I loved the book and would recommend it.
    I just thought he was looking for something that isn't there. He actually only does 2 fights, one thai one MMA and in both he claims to have been cheated about weight or he was sick or injured. I just thought it was so much whining. If you want a great book about insight into a different culture while training, while not an MMA book, it's hard to beat Angry White Pyjamas. It's a great read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Two pages and no mention of Inside the Lion's Den :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bought Total MMA today.

I've only read the first two chapters, but it's very good.

Obviously a lot of work went into the research, as it goes way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

Recently finished Total MMA, very good book. Would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Was going to post a new thread on this. Glad I bothered to do a search first :)

Just finished: A fighters heart by Sam Sheridan - really enjoyed it and would recommend it.
    Got Fight! by Forrest Griffin - was ok. Not a biography which I knew before I started but the best bit is the end where he goes through some techniques. I obviously lost my sense of humour along the way to middle age as I didn't find it very funny.
    Total MMA was really, really good, but as a book about the UFC I don't know why he spent so much time on Bob Sapp. Although it was interesting to read about him.
    Read The Last Wrestlers by the aptly names Marc Trower which deals with cultures that practice wrestling. Kind of like A fighters heart in that the author goes to Mongolia, India, Brazil etc - a good read.
    The Pyjama Game was good - I did a bit of Judo back in the day so it brought back memories.
    Just starting Chucks book The Ice Man and then have Angry White Pyjamas after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orol221

Bought BJ's Penn WHY I FIGHT cost me 20.00 and I enjoyed it even I wasn't big fan of him. Very good reading ...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Highnoon wrote: »
    Total MMA was really, really good, but as a book about the UFC I don't know why he spent so much time on Bob Sapp.

It's a book on MMA, not UFC, and Sapp was a massive massive star in Japan who got a lot of people watching MMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Recently i've read Bj Penn's why i fight and enjoyed it.

Randys, becoming the natural is very interesting and i actually liked Matt hughes book even though i dont really like matt!

Forest griffins book is weird but really good for info an all even though you would not expect it, plus its a laugh a min!!

Chuck liddells book is also good but cant remember its name!

There is many good books to choose from for the mma fan..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Glad this came up again, out injured at the moment with ribs so need to feed the thirst with something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

Just read Brian Stann's Heart For The Fight. Great read a lot of information about his time in the Marine Corps. That could put some people off but I'm in the army so found it pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Also read Ken Shamrock 'Lions Den' book. Think there is a second book which continues the story but I only read the early days one. Interesting for the behind the scenes stuff around UFC1 etc.
    Also read 'The Gracie Way' I think it's called, which had a chapter on I think 10 of the top Gracies. Was interesting with some nice pics. The author was obviously a good friend of the family which was a double edged thing. On the one hand he probably got getter access but on the other and something I think the book suffers because of is he is biased towards them. The sun shines out of... and losses that were suffered always came accompanied by excuses. A pity but worth picking up if you see it.

Total MMA was a book on MMA I agree but I think it came at it more from the UFC perspective if memory serves. It covered the pre-UFC history obviously. Covering the Gracies learning jujitsu etc and the rivalry with that other group who I cant remember - Marco Ruas etc. When it covered Pride it really did it based on how it came into contact with UFC. Most of the fighters that were covered in any detail were all past - Don Frye, Shamrock fighters or headed for UFC - Big Nog, Wanderlai,etc. That's why I said I was surprised he gave a chapter to Sapp. He obviously had the info and it made an interesting read so i guess that was why it was included. Fedor only got mentioned when he crossed paths with Big Nog. Then of course the eventual collapse and being bought up by the UFC.
    Anyway a definite must for a collector/reader of MMA books.

Nanoc wrote: »
    Glad this came up again

Seconded. few here im gonna order ove the next few months such as BJ Penn, Total MMA and Chuck. Already ready half of Randys, Matt Hughes, A Fighters Heart, Title Shot and Forrests first book.

For those who dont know Forrest has a new book out about survival in a apocalypse lol play.com seem to have it cheapest for anyone interested, just ordered a copy myself. Hope its as good as the first!!

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/14661079/Be-Ready-When-The-Sh-t-Goes-Down/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:14661079|cat:Books+%3E+Humour

Advertisement