Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

So I been thinking the last couple of days about half knocking down a stud wall(like leave one side standing so it would make the room a little bigger) and turning it into a shelving unit/bookcase. Just wondering if it would be possible as I know nothing about DIY things. Hope you can understand what I mean:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Do you mean... remove a portion of the stud wall completely so that you can walk from one room to the next, and convert the remaining portion into a bookshelf?

Yes, taking half the wall down can be done (often easily) but there are a number of precautions to take. You need to check is the stud wall supporting anything and any services (electrical wiring, water pipes, etc ) hidden in the wall will need to be identified and disconnected/re-routed appropriately.

The wood in the remaining portion of stud wall won't make an attractive bookshelf and timbers won't be in the right places where you want them,. i.e vertical and horizontal timbers getting in the way of where you want the shelves.

In the end it would be better to take the whole wall down and rebuild the shelving just the way you want it using an attractive wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

in simple terms

YES

just dont hit any support beams and try to make it look nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for replies, yes I was wondering about the existing wood and if I would be able to remove it. I had someone measure the width of the wall for me this morning and it doesn't seem I will gain that much extra space by doing so, so back to the drawing board:(

Advertisement