Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deleting address bar history

• 23-10-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hello
    I'm running vista on a new computer and cannot find a way of deleting the adddress bar history permanently. I have set the time to hold history as 1 day but there is alist of sites in the address bar history that I visited weeks ago. I have gone through the usual process of deleting history files cookies etc. but this list is always there, never goes away, any suggestions? thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

for firefox 3 click the small arrow so you get the drop down list
    highlight the URL you want to delete
    click the Del key

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Step 1
    Delete single URL address from the Auto Complete feature by typing the beginning of the domain name in the Address Bar. Highlight the address with either an arrow key or your mouse and clicking "Shift" and "Delete" on your keyboard. The address should disappear from Firefox's Auto Complete function.

Step 2
    Remove drop-down lists of address bar history by selecting "Tools" from the browser's menu and choosing "Clear Private Data." Make sure that "Browsing History" is checked before pressing "Clear Private Data Now."

Step 3
    Disable history to ensure that Address Bar History won't show up again. Go to "Tools" and "Options" in your browser's menu. Locate the "Remember visited pages for the last…days" field and change the number to "0" before clicking "OK" to save your changes. This configuration ensures that your browser won't remember what websites you visit and the addresses won't show on your Address Bar's History on the drop-down menu.

If you would rather not have Firefox display autocomplete results at all.
    This method does not work on Mac.

1. In the Location bar, enter about:config
    2. Search for the preference browser.urlbar.maxRichResults.
    3. Double-click the browser.urlbar.maxRichResults preference and enter a value of -1.
    4. Close Firefox.
    5. Start Firefox again.

akil4i.jpg <--- Icon

This Firefox add-on will also do it: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13009
    BUT once you click the icon button (as above) on your toolbar (that you will have to insert/place by dragging it from the "View - Toolbar - Customise" Box) - they are GONE - GONE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

My apologies, I should have mentioned I'm using Internet Explorer 8,
    have also tried purgeIE , Ccleaner and regedit, but the URLs are still there in the address bar history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Milton09 wrote: »
    My apologies, I should have mentioned I'm using Internet Explorer 8,
    have also tried purgeIE , Ccleaner and regedit, but the URLs are still there in the address bar history.

Some help here:
    Warning: This tip involves entering the registry. If at any point you get confused or are not completely sure what I mean, STOP , and re-read the steps to make sure you are doing this exactly right. If followed correctly these procedures are completely safe. I would also not recommend messing around in the registry unless you know what you are doing.
    First click the Start button. Then click on Run . Enter ” regedit ” (no quotes), and click OK . This will bring up the registry editor.
    Under the My Computer directory open the HKEY_CURRENT-USER directory by double clicking it. Next open the Software directory in the same way. Under the Software directory open the Microsoft directory. Under Microsoft open the Internet Explorer directory. Under the Internet Explorer directory, open the TypedURLs directory.
    Now the section on the right will be filled with a bunch of text that at first may seem rather meaningless, and the address below will be displayed at the bottom of the Window:
    ” My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs ”
    If this is the case you are in the right place. If not, go back and make sure you have followed the steps correctly.

All the entries in the right are actually just a list of all the address you have entered. You can now click on any entry and press delete to get rid of it. For each one you delete you must confirm that you want to delete it by clicking yes in the box that appears. If it is easier for you, you can delete multiple entries at once by selecting them using either a box or the control key.
    When you are finished simply close the registry editor window. (Unless you want to see something else you can do in the registry which is explained below) All those useless URLs are gone! Whenever that address bar gets full again, just do the same thing.
    Since we are here in the registry let’s change the message in the title bar of Internet Explorer. Just go back to the Main directory under the Internet Explorer directory. Now there is some more stuff in that right window. Scroll to the bottom and look for an entry entitled ” window title ” double click it to change its value.
    Enter the text you want to be displayed in the title bar, and click OK . Now you can close the registry editor. If there was no entry named ” window title ” you can make one. Click on Edit , go to new , and click on ” String Value .” Name it window title and set the value as indicated above.

http://www.pctipsbox.com/internet-explorer-clear-your-drop-down-address-bar/

Or try:
    Exit IE and see if Documents and Settings>youruserid>Local Settings>History is really empty. If not, delete the contents manually.
    Then start IE again. The address bar history should be empty now. There's no other place the info is stored.

Biggins wrote: »
    Some help here:

http://www.pctipsbox.com/internet-explorer-clear-your-drop-down-address-bar/

Or try:
    Exit IE and see if Documents and Settings>youruserid>Local Settings>History is really empty. If not, delete the contents manually.
    Then start IE again. The address bar history should be empty now. There's no other place the info is stored.

Thanks, I have tried this too , the problem is the typed URLs are not appearing in the registry , but are still in the address bar history, This history is not being updated , it appears to be a history of one days surfing about 1 week ago,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

try this:

Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete Settings > Delete AutoComplete history > [select items to delete] > Delete

mid wrote: »
    try this:

Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete Settings > Delete AutoComplete history > [select items to delete] > Delete

tried it - doesnt work, i starting to think that you cannot delete it, only hide it by turning off the autocomplete,

Advertisement