Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox and motion sickness?

• 23-10-2009 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Am I imagining this at all? I've only had an xbox for a couple of days and it's my first console in about 15 years!! I was playing it last night and felt like absolute crap, I didn't know what the reason for it was, just figured it was something I ate. But tonight I've been playing Assassin's Creed, and just all the jumping about etc has made me feel ill, and I don't even get motion sickness!

Is this the price I pay for ignoring video games for so long? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its because your not fully in control, bit like when your sitting in the back of a car

maybe when you want to look up and accidently move to look down, just don't spend too long playing it until you get good with the controller,

funny enough another way to avoid getting car sick is to stick with car racing games for a while as they only have left and right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

When they released Doom way back when people complained of the same thing!

Funnily enough when I play guitar hero/rock band and look away from the game for a moment my eyes play an optical illusion on me where the world kind of stretches out... madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Same thing happens to me playing most fps games. PC & 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I sometimes get similar thing with rock band, because I play with the speed cheat enabled on expert sometimes the screen scrolls very quickly. I get a brief moment of dizzyness the odd time

You mention Assassins Creed OP , I get that ''feeling" during a fall after some frantic action and there is a lot of falling in that game, you mean that feeling in the the pit of your stomach as you are falling just before you hit the ground?? I'd say thats normal enough and just that you are involved with the game.

Seriously though, it would be no harm to have an eye test done. Should be done every 2 years especially if you use computers at your job etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah I get that sinking feeling in the stomach when you're falling. Tis horrible!

Was playing Dead Space today and felt fine, so that's good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Funnily enough when I play guitar hero/rock band and look away from the game for a moment my eyes play an optical illusion on me where the world kind of stretches out... madness!
    I get that all the time on GH/RB! :P Happens to my lil' brother too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

If you really want some motion sickness, play 'Portal'... That game will really mess with your head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

lol I was getting the same thing a few weeks ago when my mate dropped the equipment into me. It didn't matter what I tried, playing with more lights switched on etc. Freaked me out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Liber8or wrote: »
    If you really want some motion sickness, play 'Portal'... That game will really mess with your head. :D

I'm really hungover and even thinking about playing portal nearly made me sick. Complete mind fúck of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I'm really hungover and even thinking about playing portal nearly made me sick. Complete mind fúck of a game.

also best game evaarr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

its nice to know im not on my own, i only ever got it with one game, but i got it really bad.

i got it with prey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I get that with FPS games if I play them for more than half an hour. Makes me fell like a big whuss. Funny thing is: I love rollercoasters and things like that. I could stay on them all day without a problem. I think it's all in the mind.

I found a great solution was to stop playing after 29 minutes. But where's the fun in that? Since it's all in the mind, a lobotomy might do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Mirror's Edge certainly had this effect on me. Which was annoying because I liked the game, but could only play for half an hour at a time, before the I'd break out in a cold sweat and have to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Thank god it's not just me! Thought I was going mental! Resi 5 on Versus is very intense, after paying for a while I feel really weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ugh, was just playing Call of Duty 4, I had to stop after the first mission on the ship!! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's never happened to me, but clearly I'm not a little girly man like the rest of ye :p

I'd recommend that you have more than the screen in your field of vision - i.e. there's something that you're looking at that's never moving - be it a picture on the wall or something like that. It might just help your brain to know that you're not moving about, but that the contents of the screen are.

Yeh its especially bad on Guitar hero, when the menu comes up at the end it seems like the whole screen is rising, i thought it was just the menu for the 1st few weeks, till i realised the menu was still if someone else played it lol.

Advertisement