Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options
  • 23-10-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Time for a new log, as my last one was all about getting my 5mile time down and in particular getting more consistent in training

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055589386

After the Cobh race, I took a full week off training, recovery for most part, but needed the break as well, had been training 5days/week since June. It was also a good time to have a think about things and what to do next...

Decided to keep tipping away over Winter, I was going to put the Waterford half as a goal race...but don't think I'm up for the gear-shift required to get a better PB, I'll wait till Blarney next year....

Focus will be on maintaining fitness, and targetting some of the shorter races...there's a 4miler on Sunday week for example, and i'd hope to get under 24mins for 4miles before end of year, will be well ready to target sub-30min for 5 then early next year.

The 10mile series is also in the back of my mind...but will aim for Ballycotton (assuming I get in!) as a goal race for a PB in that.

On Tuesday I went out to the track in CIT, where Eagle AC train, and really enjoyed the session, talked to the coaches, about targets, recent race time etc and they fitted me into a suitable group, not too fast and not too slow.
    Really enjoyed the session and will hope to do this session every Tuesday, running with a group is way easier than on your own...would have found it fair-hard to do that session (3*2km) repeats on my own!
    Will def join a club now I think as well, its about time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with your new goals,you seem to be committed to improvement,so there is not reason why you cannot achieve what you set out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

10.5miles this morning with John, usual Harty's to Monkstown loop back over Rafeen hill, twas fair windy out in fairness, especially where it was open across from Cobh, heart rate was a bit higher than this day last week, but we were tipping along at a nice pace too and motored up d hill.

Off now to catch a bit of the jazz, best of luck to all doing Dublin on Monday, looking forward to reading the reports...

Saturday's Summary(24/10/09):
    Distance: 10.50miles
    Time: 1:21:22
    Avg Pace: 7:45min/mile
    Avg HR: 158

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Good luck with the new blog. sub-30 5mile is well within reach for you, especially after some specific training.

No wind, but a very misty morning for running, farm was wet, but not too slippy.Ran a progression type run, from 7:45 min/mile to 7:15min/mile, averaging 7:30 overall.
    Looking forward to the 4mile race now next Sunday, be good to see how I am over the shorter distances and what work needs to be done!

Monday's Summary(26/10/09):

Distance: 5.30miles
    Time: 39:45
    Avg Pace: 7:30min/mile
    Avg HR: 159

Back out to the CIT track last nite for a repeat of last weeks session of 3*2km repeats.

Plan was to run at 95s/lap (7:55/2km) with 3min recovery between repeats. After a 1 mile warm-up and a few stretches, we got going (5 of us in group).

2km splits and HR in brackets: [7:58,7:55,7:50], [168,177,177]

First one was a bit slow...recovery was then half rest and half jog. Probably could have cut this 3min time down a bit, but main thing is we hit the pace target for second two repeats.
    It felt easier tonite and again found benefit in training with a group, I'd find it hard enuf now to do that session on my own.

Tuesday's Summary(27/10/09):

Distance: 5.75miles
    Session: 3*2km repeats at 95s/lap
    Avg Interval Pace: 7:54min/2km (6:19min/mile)
    Avg Interval HR: 174

• Advertisement

Summary of last few days below:

Wednesday: Rest Day
    Thursday: gym session, 5k on threadmill (8min/mile) + weights
    Friday:5miles in gym (8min/mile)
    Saturday: Rest Day

Poor weather had me digging out my gym card and back onto the threadmill, some change running on these compared to outside, much prefer outdoors!

Tomorrow is the HSE 4mile. PB for 4miles stands at 25:19, but that was in June.
    Will aim for a low 24min time, not sure if I have the pace for sub-24 at moment but its good to be back racing the shorter distances...

About 300 turned out for this by marina this morning. Was dry though, but a lot of water on course with all the rain that fell last nite. A fair wind was there, which we'd meet twice on the course...

A 1 mile warm-up got rid of the cob-webs and niggles that I thought I had.
    On then with the hyperspeed shoes and jogged to the start line.

Aim was to do as many 6min miles as I could, bit of a disaster during 1st mile though as could feel the HRM sliding...so enough was enough+unclipped it...carrying it for rest of race in my hand.

Mile splits: 6:00, 6:03, 6:17, 6:00, total time : 24:20, a new PB for 4miles.

I was hoping for a time between 24:00 and 24:20, and that, and it is a good PB to get in, as I wasn't sure how my legs would fair in a shorter race.

I don't know why I drifted off pace so much for 3rd mile, the wind is one factor, though we had that earlier, for a mile as well...the field was strung out tho and maybe being in no-mans land didn't suit me today.

The bonus for me was thatI pulled a fast last mile out of bag in end.Think I came 27th overall, a lot of the regulars are doing the county cross country today or just back from marathon last week. (I'd normally be about 50th for that race-pace).

A good day at office overall. I think the sub-24min will come, if I keep up the interval training at track, I can target sub 24 in Belgooly on St. Stephen's Day.

Sunday's Summary(31/10/09):
    Total Distance: 6.00miles (4mile race +warm up/down)
    Race time: 24:20
    Avg Pace: 6:05min/mile
    Avg HR: ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck with the new log. Whats the route of the Waterford half like? Not many things on at that time of year so it might be a nice one to aim for, even just as a ticking-over race.

Well done tisnotover,sub 24 is not far away now.

Slogger,
    The waterford half is a fair route (i think),mostly flat,there are 2/3 climbs,but nothing like the mountains you climb on a regular Saturday morning run :D
    The last 4m are fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good running TNO,

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done tisnotover,sub 24 is not far away now.

Slogger,
    The waterford half is a fair route (i think),mostly flat,there are 2/3 climbs,but nothing like the mountains you climb on a regular Saturday morning run :D
    The last 4m are fast

Thanks for replying Sosa, was going to refer to you or Showry anyway about the half!

Hope the marathon recovery's going well.

tisnotover wrote: »
    Thanks for replying Sosa, was going to refer to you or Showry anyway about the half!

Hope the marathon recovery's going well.

Recovery going great,i did 4m Sat morning @ 8:40 Pace
    The legs felt very heavy,but no side effects from Mondays effort.
    I was in a bad way Tues and Wed,but Thursday i turned the corner and Friday i could walk perfectly again.
    I will do another 4/5 tomorrow.

great to hear lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

great running, sub 24 a defo for you next time out...missed today unfortunately but prob for the best as i'm in injury denial

Gringo78 wrote: »
    great running, sub 24 a defo for you next time out...missed today unfortunately but prob for the best as i'm in injury denial

thanks lad, with right training it'll be on for sure, hope ure injury isn't too serious...speedy recovery.

Monday: gym session, 5k on threadmill (8min/mile, 1% gradient) + some weights

Tuesday:

Very cold at CIT track tonite + a tad wet.

Plan was to run at 95s/lap (7:55/2km) with 2min recovery between repeats (was 3min last week). After a 2 mile warm-up and a few stretches, we got going ( 4 of us in group tonite)

2km splits and HR in brackets: [8:03,7:55,7:55], [164,176,175]

First one was a bit slow...down to poor middle 400m splits, but we were bang on for rest of session. The 2min recovery was def better tonite as the 3min was too long last week.
    Felt a bit harder in last km repeat, putting this down to being close to sunday's race + still had it in my legs.

Average mileage for last few weeks is ~ 25miles, whereas it was ~35 during summer. Much harder to get out in evenings, and not used to threadmill running! With brighter mornings for a while mite chance getting a run in before work...the hard bit there is getting up out of bed!!

Tuesday's Summary(03/11/09):

Distance: 6.75miles
    Session: 3*2km repeats at 95s/lap (2min recoveries)
    Avg Interval Pace: 7:58min/2km (6:22min/mile)
    Avg Interval HR: 172

Alarm was set to go off early this morn, so as to get a run in before work. Had the gear ready from last nite...so just got out up and into car straight away.

First time running in leggings this year as well, a bit wet out, but kept telling myself it could be worse...I could be on a threadmill! The ground at farm was pretty heavy going now but a good run to get in.

Will try and get this early run in a couple days/week for next while as mornings are bright out for moment.

Wednesday's Summary(04/11/09):

Distance: 4.71miles
    Time: 36:07
    Avg Pace: 7:40min/mile
    Avg HR: 157

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Nice going on the 4mile, very respectable time especially since you´ve been training for longer distances.

I recommend the early morning runs. I do them whenever I get the chance but at the moment I have work in the mornings. Set´s you up nicely for the day and in general you feel ahead of the game, well, that is if you get to bed early the night before otherwise it´s hell :P

on sat went out for usual long run, harty's->monkstown by rafeen hill. two differences, ran loop on my own and other was the weather, very wet out!

Def much easier when you've someone else with ya, especially when the weather was so poor. did first 9 miles at 7:50min/mile pace, quick stop for water at car and did last 3 at 7:15min/mile. felt good and fresh after. (Sunday was a rest day!)

Saturday's Summary (07/11/09):

Distance: 12.1miles
    Time: 1:33:04
    Avg Pace: 7:41min/mile
    Avg HR: 158

Monday: gym session, 5miles on threadmill (7:48min/mile, 1% gradient). This is my longest run on a threadmill in a while and feck it, it was tough going, felt really warm in gym which didn't help, but weather was pretty bad out, still, good to get in the easy run.

Tuesday:

One of the nicest days we've had in a while and made a good evening for the track. Crisp and cool, so on with the leggings again.

Plan was to run at 95s/lap (7:55/2km) with 2min recovery between repeats (same as last week). After a 1.5 mile warm-up and a few stretches, we got going ( 7 of us in group tonite)

2km splits and HR in brackets: [7:59,7:47,7:50], [166,176,177]

First one was a bit slow, very hard to judge these if first lap doesn't get in right. For 2nd and 3rd interval we were all feeling a bit fresh so pace was upped. The 2min recoveries were fine and may move onto 4*2km repeats next week. Felt easier than last weeks session, which is a good sign.

Tuesday's Summary(10/11/09):
    Distance: 6.25miles
    Session: 3*2km repeats at 95s/lap (2min recoveries)
    Avg Interval Pace: 7:52min/2km (6:18min/mile)
    Avg Interval HR: 173

• Advertisement

Wed: Rest
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 5miles in gym before work, 1%incline, about 8mins/mile.

Sat: Long-ish run, just over 10miles, very windy out when we set off this morn. Skipped Rafeen hill this morning and did 2 loops of Harty's to Blackrock loop. Ran into wind for first loop and doubled back for second.
    heart rate felt effort of runing into wind today, but second loop was more enjoyable thank god!

Rest now tomorrow, so ~27miles for week. Next race will prob be Inniscarra 4mile next Sunday. Haven't raced it before,but looking at last year's results, its not a course for getting a PB in!

Saturday's Summary (14/11/09):
    Distance: 10.7miles
    Time: 1:25:04
    Avg Pace: 7:57min/mile
    Avg HR: 162

Monday: gym session, 4miles on threadmill (8min/mile, 1% gradient)

Tuesday:

Plan was to run 4*2km at 95s/lap (7:55/2km) with 2min recovery between repeats (did 3 repeats last week). After a 5lapwarm-up and a few stretches, we got going ( 3 of us in group tonite)

2km splits and HR in brackets: [7:56,7:57,7:52,7:57], [170,176,177,178]

Doing 4 repeats was def tougher tonite, I think I found the 2nd repeat the hardest. Its nearly something that you've to get over in your mind I suppose, each interval is 5laps of the track, which is best not to think about!!
    was also tougher in that there was only three of us in group tonite, as a lot of gang had ran the cross country last Sunday.
    I'd say the same session will be repeated for next few weeks, with possible talks of moving to 5*2km at some stage, yikes!

Tuesday's Summary(17/11/09):

Distance: 7.25miles
    Session: 4*2km repeats at 95s/lap (2min recoveries)
    Avg Interval Pace: 7:56min/2km (6:20min/mile)
    Avg Interval HR: 175

Getting harder to find this log on here ;)

Wed: REST

Thurs: Fartlek type session in gym. 5miles in 40mins, upped gradient by 0.5% every 0.5km with constant pace of 12km/hr. gradient was varied from 0% to 0.5% to 1%.....to 4% max, then stepped back down linearly. nice session and threadmill wasn't as boring at all with this type of session!!

Fri : REST

Sat: 8.6miles in 68mins, av pace ~ 7:55min/mile. lucky to get this run in today, flooding in city is desperate like, but we're not too bad on south-side. lots of surface water around though and spent most of run skipping/hopping thru puddles or trying to avoid a car spraying me!! Wanted to get a few more miles in than this, but my usual root is closed off. Mite get out around Ballycotton tomorrow, but not sure yet.

General: Work is a balls at moment and I'm feeling generally a bit tired lately and can see it in my running as well. Very hard to stay motivated. The track session on the Tuesday is the only decent session I feel I'm putting in. I'm just taking the other runs as they come and getting out when I can. Roll on the new year and when we get those long evenings again!!

5.5miles at 8:35min/mile pace. avhr: 148.

Down at home for wknd, so ran most of Ballyandreen 5 mile route with a friend of mine. Fairly easy paced run which suited me fine. Bit windy for first few miles, but had wind behind us for last three. Must try and get a few more runs done down here more often, not too far from home like.

Just over 30miles this week, haven't done that in a while!

Just realised I went thru 1000mile mark for year today, pity I didn't realise it on the run, would have made it that bit more enjoyable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done on hitting 1k, you've had a strong year - any targets for next year yet?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done on hitting 1k, you've had a strong year - any targets for next year yet?

Main one is to get under 30mins for 5miles. I will do a few races in the 10mile series in new year, and pick one of them as a target race to get a good time, maybe sub 64min.
    Another thought in the back of my mind is to do a marathon, either Cork or Dublin.

4mile progression-type run at gym at lunch-time. Set inlcine to 1% and ramped speed from 12km/hr to 13.5km/hr, 0.5km/hr every mile.

I like these type of runs and makes time on threadmill go that bit quicker. Total time was 30:15, so thats about 7:34min/mile average.
    Heart rate split/mile was [136,156,162,167], giving 155 average. Not really trusting first split, seems way too low.

Lots of possibilities with these runs:
    a) repeat same workout every few weeks and compare effort
    b) extend interval time at each speed level?
    c) extend total duration (was limited by lunch today).
    d) further progress speed.

Maybe the threadmill isn't that bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hey tno - good to see you're keeping yourself ticking over nicely.. are you doing the Mallow 10 miler in January? Signed up for it last week myself.

rigal wrote: »
    Hey tno - good to see you're keeping yourself ticking over nicely.. are you doing the Mallow 10 miler in January? Signed up for it last week myself.

signed up as well rigal and might do waterford half in december as well, if anything, just as a training run.
    ticking over, but finding it hard work, i'm def more suited to training during summer!!

• Advertisement

Since last update:

Wed: 4miles easy paced, about 8min/mile
    Thurs: tempo run. 5.1miles including 5k at 6:45min/mile in treadmill. avhr: 170.
    Fri: rest

The tempo was run on a threadmill in gym, set gradient to usual 1% and cranked speed upto 14.2km/hr, which was about rite for 6:45 according to my watch. felt good and avhr was fine, but it felt harder than it normally should. also not so sure if I could run at faster speeds on the threadmill, without feeling like I would fall off the back of it :D

Tomorrow, hopefully a long run.

Advertisement