Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Good running TNO.

Just a warning about the garmin and marathons. From my own experience and from what ive read its wise to assume a garmin-distance of ca. 26.5 miles for the marathon when judging pace.

My garmin told me I was doing 7'13/mile last year in Dublin, but when I finished I had actually run 7'16 - through either sat error or not taking the racing line or both.

6'45 for 26.5 miles (either garmin or real miles) is 2'58'53, which leaves a minute cushion. Thus IMO your PMP pace is sensible.

Enjoying the log - best of luck in the final few weeks!

thanks for the info on the garmin, one of other places we've to watch out for in cork is going through the Lee Tunnel, will def lose signal there ;) gonna print off mile splits though as well i'd say anyway, garmin went wayward in the Cork to Cobh race last yr 10miles in, so learnt lesson there.

I don't think i'll be going for sub 3 though, the PMP session at 6:45 was guided by club-mate, who will be going out at exactly that pace in Cork. I'm doing the PMP runs at pace I feel comfortable with that day and what McMillan suggests off current race times.

If I can handle those sort of pace runs, then aiming for somewhere in 3:05->3:15 range should be fine on day.

Out to CIT for track session with club, little bit windy down one side, so made it that bit more interesting re: pacing !

Like last week 5*km repeats targetting 89s/lap in lane 3, 3:43/km target pace. Legs were fine after warm-up, extra rest day seems to have done good and was fresh for session, repeats went much better than last week, even with only two of us doing this pace tonite. Was in good company though, John had ran 62:20 I think on a hilly Cobh course two weeks ago.

Summary:
    9.0miles total
    3.5mile warm-up
    5*1k splits (HR): 3:41 (169), 3:42 (174) 3:41 (174), 3:43 (175) 3:41 (175)
    1.75mile warm-down

av-split: 3:42, avhr: 173.

Much more comfortable session than last week and good to see that speed is still there in legs as well as doing the long runs.

3.4miles at 7:56min/mile, avhr: 147

not much to say about that, needed the run after the track yesterday. talks of an early run before work in morning...better set the alarm clock !

Early start this morning for this one, lovely morning out though, if not a bit humid.
    Met up with club-mate at farm and ran 4 laps of farm straight aiming for between 6:55 and 7:00 min/mile pace.

Summary:
    8.80miles in 1:00:57, av-pace 6:56min/mile, av-hr: 159.

Ran with the DS-Trainer again+they're back in my good books, thought they were giving me problems before but far from the case now. Great to have the company on these runs, would have struggled to do that so early on my own!

Rest now tomorrow, maybe 2/3miles easy on sat morn with strides, and down to Bantry for the bay-run half then on sunday. Good few from club heading down, looking forward to it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tisnotover wrote: »
    Out to CIT for track session with club, little bit windy down one side, so made it that bit more interesting re: pacing !

Like last week 5*km repeats targetting 89s/lap in lane 3, 3:43/km target pace. Legs were fine after warm-up, extra rest day seems to have done good and was fresh for session, repeats went much better than last week, even with only two of us doing this pace tonite. Was in good company though, John had ran 62:20 I think on a hilly Cobh course two weeks ago.

Summary:
    9.0miles total
    3.5mile warm-up
    5*1k splits (HR): 3:41 (169), 3:42 (174) 3:41 (174), 3:43 (175) 3:41 (175)
    1.75mile warm-down

av-split: 3:42, avhr: 173.

Much more comfortable session than last week and good to see that speed is still there in legs as well as doing the long runs.

Good session tno, what kind of rec were you taking between the reps?

Btw, I just figured out your comment about the title of post on my 5K race, I was wondering why it sounded familier :D

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Good session tno, what kind of rec were you taking between the reps?

Btw, I just figured out your comment about the title of post on my 5K race, I was wondering why it sounded familier :D

there's 3min's of a recovery between rep's at moment, basically jogging 200m back towards start of next interval. To be honest, last couple of wks i've seen that its a bit too long,as well recovered before next interval. Coach is gonna shift gears from next week, either by shortening the recovery or increase of pace/lap.

The one thing I don't really like about the session is running in Lane 3 all-time, 89s/lap is equivalent to about 86s/lap in lane 1, but they want to prevent the racing-line I guess taking a hammering by us!

there's 3min's of a recovery between rep's at moment, basically jogging 200m back towards start of next interval. To be honest, last couple of wks i've seen that its a bit too long,as well recovered before next interval. Coach is gonna shift gears from next week, either by shortening the recovery or increase of pace/lap.

The one thing I don't really like about the session is running in Lane 3 all-time, 89s/lap is equivalent to about 86s/lap in lane 1, but they want to prevent the racing-line I guess taking a hammering by us!

IMO, with your 37:19 in the bank from a few weeks back, I think that you could probably do with shortening the rec's alright.
    We did 8 x 1K with 90 secs (200m) rec a few wks back. Times were 3:28, 3:30, 3:31, 3:32, 3:32, 3:31, 3:30 & 3:27. Granted that was in lane 1. So I don't know is it a case of our coach been too hard or your's been too easy :rolleyes:

Then again, I ran 37:41 in the Nat 10k so what do I know !

Speedy44 wrote: »
    IMO, with your 37:19 in the bank from a few weeks back, I think that you could probably do with shortening the rec's alright.
    We did 8 x 1K with 90 secs (200m) rec a few wks back. Times were 3:28, 3:30, 3:31, 3:32, 3:32, 3:31, 3:30 & 3:27. Granted that was in lane 1. So I don't know is it a case of our coach been too hard or your's been too easy :rolleyes:

Then again, I ran 37:41 in the Nat 10k so what do I know !

suppose the main thing is we're both hitting the pace well with even splits, I tell ya though i'm glad of the long recoveries sometimes, especially with mileage in legs from weekends some days! we've pretty similar times, must keep an eye on ya ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

suppose the main thing is we're both hitting the pace well with even splits, I tell ya though i'm glad of the long recoveries sometimes, especially with mileage in legs from weekends some days! we've pretty similar times, must keep an eye on ya ! ;)

Would you consider parking the 1km reps until after the marathon? 89s in lane 3 is about 5:45, your present 5km pace, so what about dropping back a pace group and doing an extra lap than them so you'd be doing close to 1 mile & taking shorter recovery? Might be more beneficial for marathon training to be doing the intervals at 6:00 pace rather than 5:45.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Would you consider parking the 1km reps until after the marathon? 89s in lane 3 is about 5:45, your present 5km pace, so what about dropping back a pace group and doing an extra lap than them so you'd be doing close to 1 mile & taking shorter recovery? Might be more beneficial for marathon training to be doing the intervals at 6:00 pace rather than 5:45.

I've had similar discussion with coach! I think the km repeats are very manageable to be honest, mile repeats much tougher, not exactly training for a 5km race like!

PMP runs are the key in the week now and am getting used to them, have done 5 PMP run's and 6 run's >=15miles to date. Like you will keep PMP and LSR's going for next few weeks till taper.

Have averaged 45miles/week for last 6 week's now, so happy with that, starting out the programme was worried about the mileage increase but its going ok.

I dreamt last nite of it raining over-nite on June 6th, with cool and overcast conditions on the morning of the 7th...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I dreamt last nite of it raining over-nite on June 6th, with cool and overcast conditions on the morning of the 7th...:D

I hope that dream comes through.

Whats the aim in Bantry at the w/e ?

Sosa wrote: »
    I hope that dream comes through.

Whats the aim in Bantry at the w/e ?

I'm thinking 6:25->6:30 pace, difficult to tell because its a hilly route. Hoping to have a few club-mates to run with, so that mite make things easier, 1:25 i'd be happy out, anything under that and it'd be icing on the cake

I'm thinking 6:25->6:30 pace, difficult to tell because its a hilly route. Hoping to have a few club-mates to run with, so that mite make things easier, 1:25 i'd be happy out, anything under that and it'd be icing on the cake

I don't think its any worse than Blarney and the hills come early. I blame Sosa for all the conservatism going on around here...you should be aiming for under 1:25, 6:25 pace. Your Ballycotton time would suggest you'd be able for sub 1:25 and you're in better shape now than you were for ballyc which is afterwall 6 weeks ago! It'd be no harm to push through the pain barrier a bit, its something you'll have to do anyway in the marathon no matter how well trained you are.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I don't think its any worse than Blarney and the hills come early. I blame Sosa for all the conservatism going on around here...you should be aiming for under 1:25, 6:25 pace. Your Ballycotton time would suggest you'd be able for sub 1:25 and you're in better shape now than you were for ballyc which is afterwall 6 weeks ago! It'd be no harm to push through the pain barrier a bit, its something you'll have to do anyway in the marathon no matter how well trained you are.

True, could be very similar to Blarney. Ok, I am being conservative, but I always am. Put it this way, I finished way too strong in Ballycotton for my liking, whereas in the UCC 10k, I was on the limit the whole way round, its more of that I want to feel on Sunday!

One lap of the farm with 6 *80m strides at 5k pace afterwards. legs aren't too bad and feel rested.
    Its nice having these rests in bed on a saturday, as opposed to the early starts usually for the long runs!
    Heading down to Bantry in afternoon and will stay overnite, do we dare drive the route beforehand ;)

2.75miles total.

P.S. as its May 1st, monthly mileage for April was 189.79miles, highest to date.

Watch time shows 1:22:35 ! :D

Absolutely delighted, will post race report later.

Congrats, great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done tisnotover,great running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

WOW - Marathon target needs a re-calc me thinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    WOW - Marathon target needs a re-calc me thinks ;)

+1 Thats savage tno, well done.

• Advertisement

Had a few things ringing in my ear going into this, one that targetting 6:30/mile was too coservative, coach said so and Gringo, so set off at 6:25min/mile. Conditions were perfect for race in fairness, I felt very comfotable for first 3miles or so, before the hard work began with climb out of Glengariff.

One thing I noticed from off, that the front of field was very sparse. a couple of my cliub-mates were around me like and we were hitting 6:25>6:30 handy enough, but there wasn't too many ahead of us, the only big name I recognised was Colin Merritt, who flew off, and won race, eventually 12.5mins ahead of me!

Got into a nice pace with a group of 6/7, with one of lads from club and his buddy in there as well, counted maybe 10 ahead of us as we went back through Glengarifff.
    Onto the climb, and I took the pace out, saw the av-pace at 7min/mile and was happy to just hold it at that, was thinking we'd get the av-time back down later on the downhill which we did.
    I took water (attempted, plastic cups) at every station+ a couple of times stopped to take it. Ran with 2 * SIS-GO gels on me, which I took at mile 4 and mile 10. we climbed the hill out of Glengariff handy enough and we caught a lad ahead of us.

Took it handy here for a stretch to get oxygen back, but couple of lads in group strided out, and wasn't too long before I could see 6:00min/mile on the garmin for av-mile pace. Made a good decision here and decided to let them off, figured that I;d catch them in a couple of miles time on the next hills, which actually turned out to be the case. The reason of leaving them off was simple in my mind, as I was clocking < 6:10 at some points on the downhill and would need energy for the last few miles.

Onto mile 8/9 and club-mate John and myself were toe-to-toe workign together like we were doing the km repeats last tues nite. I felt though that I had more in the tank than him, but we did close out the gap to the two lads that left us couple miles earlier. I took 2nd gel at mile 10, and it really did something for me, as a blast of energy came from somewhere and I finished really strong, I hit 6:00 pace and John left me off, the next guy in sight, was about 800m ahead of me, but I believed I could catch him to the finish. Not much to say about the last couple of miles, but I gave it everything and in end only finished 6seconds behind that guy.

Finished in 9th place overall, which is my highest ever, but has to be said a lot of really strong runners didn't pay the 50euro race entry today! Official time is 1:22:39 according to results, which I'm delighted with.

Mile splits (HR)

1 6:22 (159)
    2 6:25 (169)
    3 6:23 (172)
    4 7:05 (179)
    5 6:25 (176)
    6 6:21 (175)
    7 6:04 (174)
    8 5:59 (174)
    9 6:17 (175)
    10 6:16 (177)
    11 6:21 (178)
    12 5:57 (179)
    13 5:42 (182)
    0.1 0:36 (184)

Time: 1:22:38, av-pace 6:17, av-hr:175.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/31989358

P.S. Sorry if i'm rambling above, but I'm after a few Guinness and heading out for a couple more in a bit, getting under 1:23 was one of my targets for year like, so delighted !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run tis! massive confidence booster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ran with 2 * SIS-GO gels on me, which I took at mile 4 and mile 10.

Great running, I was only going to take 1 GU Gel next week @ Mile 8, looks like Miles 4 & 10 was a good plan for you - might re-think my strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Great run. Really good time to get under your belt!

5.12 miles at 7:52min/mile, avhr: 154.

If the bank hol monday was like this in 5wks time I wouldn't be complaining too much, cool conditions out, with a bit of a wind.

Legs are a bit sore-ish allover from yesterday, calves aren't too bad though, the massage I got after race mite have helped a bit there. Will see how body holds up during week, main run to get in this week will be a long run at weekend.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great running, I was only going to take 1 GU Gel next week @ Mile 8, looks like Miles 4 & 10 was a good plan for you - might re-think my strategy.

It worked for me yesterday anyhow, especially after the climb at mile 4. In ballycotton I had no gels, normally wouldn't have taken them in a half before either, but I did go through a "flat-period" in Ballycotton, a gel prob would have helped, certainly did yesterday when I took the 2nd one at 10th mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thats a fantastic time for that tough route. I ran it a few years back and had a fine race as far as I was concerned but I was still some mins off your time. Think what you could do on a flat-ish route. You're obviously going well in training.

Thats a fantastic time for that tough route. I ran it a few years back and had a fine race as far as I was concerned but I was still some mins off your time. Think what you could do on a flat-ish route. You're obviously going well in training.

Thanks!

Friend of mine drove the route the evening before with me to get an idea of where the hills were, to be honest I thought it was much tougher when ya saw it from car, but it did help to know where the downhills ended and up-hill bits started again...

The long runs I do at wknd's are def standing to me like, those runs are over some fairly tough hills sometimes + am definately handling hills in races much better.

I enjoy reading your IMRA reports by the way, savage stuff !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done tno, you're in great shape for Cork.

• Advertisement

Great running! Glad the conservatism is gone. Very impressed with miles 12 & 13.

Advertisement