Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Great running! Glad the conservatism is gone. Very impressed with miles 12 & 13.

Thanks lad!
    Race was a good confidence boost, especially with how I finished on those last miles, there was a sign saying "Bantry 5k" on side of road, I looked up, saw a lad ahead of me in distance, and just motored on. If the race was 800m longer, I reckon i'd have caught him ;)

Great atmosphere at track tonite, most gang had ran in Bantry and all had good races.

Pace of km repeats is going up, but as legs were tired, I stayed with pace from last week, 89s/lap in lane 3. A good move, as there was a big group stepping up to that pace, so I just sat at back and left them at it ;)

Splits : 3:41, 3:43, 3:41, av-pace: 3:42, av-hr:169, 7.85miles total.

A few of us are aiming for a 22mile run on Saturday, be good if I can get that in like.
    Will have to strongly consider sub-3 attempt for Cork, two Eagles I know are going for it, and there's two boardsies, a Cork lad and a Waterford lad also on for it ;) Ultimately it'll be decided on, over next few weeks, taper mind-games and how weather looks for day, till then, we'll carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Awesome result - well done. Best of luck with the Cork preps - go for the sub-3!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tisnotover wrote: »
    a Cork lad and a Waterford lad

Hey now...ye rebels cant be ganging up on me ....

It would be great,the 3 of us going for it.
    But in reality,other than the first 10m probably we will get strung out.
    It would be ideal for all 3 of us to pass those miles away in company.

Im up for it,and we know that gringo is the numbers man,we can leave him watch the pace :D

Sosa wrote: »
    Hey now...ye rebels cant be ganging up on me ....

It would be great,the 3 of us going for it.
    But in reality,other than the first 10m probably we will get strung out.
    It would be ideal for all 3 of us to pass those miles away in company.

Im up for it,and we know that gringo is the numbers man,we can leave him watch the pace :D

It would be something alrite like ! I'm thinking though that i'll have to leave ye at it lads, I would hope that ye're aiming for times a bit ahead of me (based on both of ye're recent 10mile times?).

Be interesting to see how the 3 race strategies go and what we end up with !

For example, I know one guy who is going straight out at 6:45 pace, his thinking is to get to 20miles in 2:15, thereby needing to run just 45mins for last 10k to break sub-3 ...

• Advertisement

It would be something alrite like ! I'm thinking though that i'll have to leave ye at it lads, I would hope that ye're aiming for times a bit ahead of me (based on both of ye're recent 10mile times?).

Be interesting to see how the 3 race strategies go and what we end up with !

For example, I know one guy who is going straight out at 6:45 pace, his thinking is to get to 20miles in 2:15, thereby needing to run just 45mins for last 10k to break sub-3 ...

The thing is,i dont think that i am suited to long distance.
    My shorter times say that i am capable of 2:48....i am nowhere near that.

Your friends race could be done at 20m.
    I got to 20 in 2:18 in Dublin and wanted to curl up and die !
    It took me 56 mins to do the last 6.2,thats what can happen.
    That was me,your friend may be able for it.

Sosa wrote: »
    The thing is,i dont think that i am suited to long distance.
    My shorter times say that i am capable of 2:48....i am nowhere near that.

Your friends race could be done at 20m.
    I got to 20 in 2:18 in Dublin and wanted to curl up and die !
    It took me 56 mins to do the last 6.2,thats what can happen.
    That was me,your friend may be able for it.

I think the discussions/comments on the "PMP thread" about starting out steady and picking things up would be a good approach for you too Sosa ? You'll probably be talking with your coach and what he has in mind for ya as regards race-plan, but you have learned a lot from DCM last year. (I must pass on your DCM report to that friend of mine!)

All best with next few weeks training, and we'll def see ya at starting line in Cork !

I think the discussions/comments on the "PMP thread" about starting out steady and picking things up would be a good approach for you too Sosa ? You'll probably be talking with your coach and what he has in mind for ya as regards race-plan, but you have learned a lot from DCM last year. (I must pass on your DCM report to that friend of mine!)

All best with next few weeks training, and we'll def see ya at starting line in Cork !

Without a doubt.

My long runs are practice for the big day.
    20m with the first 15 holding back and the last 5 faster than pmp.
    During all those i have been counting down the miles to stretch out the legs,lets hope its the same on June 7th.

Legs not too bad this evening, 5.6miles at 7:56min/mile, avhr:152.

Had to watch myself in that I didn't go too fast, this was a recovery run like.

13.52miles with 2*4miles + 1*2mile at PMP pace, 3min jog between repeats.

Ran this with John from club, original plan was for 3*4mile but one mile in, both were starting to feel it, the race still in legs like.

Had a bit of a wind to contend with as well for a 2mile stretch, which we hit couple of times, just one of those runs, where it was tough but had to get it in like!

PMP splits (HR): 6:58 (162), 6:53 (168), 6:52 (166)
    av-pace 6:54, avhr: 165.

Ran with fuel belt and drank 3*hi-5 bottles and had the DS trainer on again. Will be glad of rest day tomorrow !

• Advertisement

22.0miles in 2:56:01, av-pace 8:00min/mile, avhr :159

Garmin shows elevation gain of +/- 1700ft !

This was made up of a 15mile run with club and 7miles where 3 of us aiming for Cork ran. The 15mile loop is a fair hilly route, which I hadn't run in a while.

The tactics (do you have tactics when your running with your club at 8am?), was to sit at back but to power up the hills where ever they sprung up, recover at the top before you go again. It is this hill-work I believe led to my fast-time in the half last week and the ucc 10k few weeks ago.

Good sized group were doing the 15mile loop and it does make the miles go quicker when ya have company.

I was carrying a belt with 4*hi-5 bottles (8oz size), and took gels at miles 6, 12 and 18. A quick stop at the car at end of mile 15 to ditch the leggings and jacket and off 3 of us went for a few faster miles. I did not have av-pace on at all for run, only had mile lap pace, but great to see that we brought the average down to 8min/mile over the 22. The 22 is a hell of a distance to get in and could def feel it legs at end, especially as the 7 were over hills as well !

54.1 miles for week (incidentally 68.1 since last sunday!), rest day tomorrow. The taper is in sight now, good to get the 22 in i think...

...well glutes to be more precise I suppose ! Thats what I woke up with Sunday morning, calves were fine like, I suppose you've to expect these types of new pain when you do these long runs ?

5.54 miles recovery tonite at 7:32min/mile, avhr:154. Met couple of lads at farm from club after 1st lap, thought they'd be going slower than they were, but garmin showed under 7min/mile at times, good chatting though, makes the time pass faster!

Undecided about tail end of this week, tempted to do long run on sat+ then run Villerstown 10mile at marathon pace on Sunday ? Ran it last yr + few friends of mine will be heading down.

If I do it, should I scale back the long run on sat, or would doing 20miles straight on sat be more important....decisions decisions !?!

8.4 miles which included 4*1km targetting 87s/400m in Lane 3 (84s/lap in Lane 1), 3mins jog between repeats.

The pace has heated up a small bit, 87s/400m is 3:38/km, whereas previously we were doing repeats at 89s/400m in 3:43/km in Lane 3.

km splits: [3:40, 3:35, 3:40, 3:35]
    avhr splits: [164, 170, 170, 171]

giving av-split: 3:38, avhr: 169.

Just the two of us in this group tonite, myself and John, who finished 30 seconds behind me in the Bay Run. We both found it tough enough to gauge the pace + splits around track, will know exactly what we need for next week, but we did average 3:38, which was the target, thats effectively 3:30/km pace, which is 5:36min/mile.

Definately noticed myself working that bit more, which is to be expected as i'm going into unknown territory now at that pace ! There's a Thursday track session after starting now as well with groups doing 400m repeats, that could be something to try out once I get back to myself after marathon !

5miles at 7:45min/mile, avhr:154.

Tired out at work all day, tired for this run, hope can get good nite's sleep, have a tough PMP run tomorrow evening.
    Group of 4 of us going doing it, so that mite get me around. Wake me up when this marathon training is allover ;)

Aim was for about 15miles with 13miles at PMP pace, starting with a few 7's and picking it up for last 10. Wasn't looking forward to this one, windy all afternoon and rain came in, but by the time the group of us set off, it had calmed down a hell of a lot, just left with some sticky weather

Ended up doing 16.0 miles in 1:56:25, avhr: 162, 7:17min/mile

with 13.1 miles in 1:30:36, av-PMP 6:55min/mile, avPMPhr:165.

This was one tough run, fine to start out with, but last 5/6 miles were tough with aches in the legs. Great to have the company too, there were 4 of us running together, taking it in turns to lead the group. Thats definately the longest PMP run i'll do, maybe 10miles at PMP next Thursday, sure aren;t we tapering soon !

Rest Day Tomorrow, 20miles on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Aim was for about 15miles with 13miles at PMP pace, starting with a few 7's and picking it up for last 10. Wasn't looking forward to this one, windy all afternoon and rain came in, but by the time the group of us set off, it had calmed down a hell of a lot, just left with some sticky weather

Ended up doing 16.0 miles in 1:56:25, avhr: 162, 7:17min/mile

with 13.1 miles in 1:30:36, av-PMP 6:55min/mile, avPMPhr:165.

This was one tough run, fine to start out with, but last 5/6 miles were tough with aches in the legs. Great to have the company too, there were 4 of us running together, taking it in turns to lead the group. Thats definately the longest PMP run i'll do, maybe 10miles at PMP next Thursday, sure aren;t we tapering soon !

Rest Day Tomorrow, 20miles on Saturday.

thats a great session tno, it'll definitely stand to you on the big day. I know what you mean about running with a group, it helps a lot to pull you along if your having an off day, and if your not the miles just role by. You'' enjoy the taper all the more once you know you have the work done, although not sure if anyone ever enjoys a taper :rolleyes:

Speedy44 wrote: »
    thats a great session tno, it'll definitely stand to you on the big day. I know what you mean about running with a group, it helps a lot to pull you along if your having an off day, and if your not the miles just role by. You'' enjoy the taper all the more once you know you have the work done, although not sure if anyone ever enjoys a taper :rolleyes:

thanks speedy.

I would not have done that on my own, prob would have bailed at 9/10miles, agree on advantage to group !

I think i've been going though pre-taper madness for a bit the last few days ! :rolleyes:

20.51 miles in 2:40:04, av-pace 7:48min/mile, avhr : 155.

Long run with club this morning, good few showed up for the 8am start and from off we knew we wouldn't be averaging the advertised 8:15min/mile! Some were doing 11miles, Villerstown is on tomorrow, but about 5 of us were down for 20, with one lad doing 22.

Only real test today, was the Rafeen hill, always a pleasure to run up that one. Rest of loop was flat so we ran between 7:20's and 7:30's for last 8miles. Happe with the pace and hr for this length of a run.

Ran with 4*8oz bottles, 2*water, 2*hi-5 (all drank), and took 2*SIS gels at miles 8 and 15.

Its finally time to think about tapering. Plan for next week would be to scale the long run down to 15miles, and maybe Thursday's PMP run to 12miles with 10 at pace.

55.45miles for week. passed thru the 800mile mark today, nice one!

...body, mind, and as didn't come as much of a surprise this evening legs !

Got out for a run, but was just not in form for this tonite. Thought I'd be fine after resting yesterday, but it could just be all the mileage catching up with me...not used to doing mileage weeks of 50 + back to back ...

4.15miles in 32:37, pace: 7:49min/mile, avhr: 148

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

...body, mind, and as didn't come as much of a surprise this evening legs !

Got out for a run, but was just not in form for this tonite. Thought I'd be fine after resting yesterday, but it could just be all the mileage catching up with me...not used to doing mileage weeks of 50 + back to back ...

4.15miles in 32:37, pace: 7:49min/mile, avhr: 148

The hard training is all done now....you need the taper. Don't be afraid to make those runs even slower......4 miles again this evening at a pace which keeps your HR below 140....make a game out of the run, see how how efficiently you can run.

Great training, I envy the volume and consistency you and Sosa have hit over the last 12 weeks, you'll have a good marathon. Might get an 18-20 miler done myself this evening, its my last chance, if I don't get it done this evening, there'll be no more LSR's...will be stuck with whatever endurance I have already! Will be properly into taper one way or another tomorrow. main aim to is to keep sharp without doing too much. Time to trust the training now.

Are you doing the 10k on Sunday? I hope to, but depends on family plans for the weekend so might not make it.

• Advertisement

The hard training is all done now....you need the taper. Don't be afraid to make those runs even slower......4 miles again this evening at a pace which keeps your HR below 140....make a game out of the run, see how how efficiently you can run.

Great training, I envy the volume and consistency you and Sosa have hit over the last 12 weeks, you'll have a good marathon. Might get an 18-20 miler done myself this evening, its my last chance, if I don't get it done this evening, there'll be no more LSR's...will be stuck with whatever endurance I have already! Will be properly into taper one way or another tomorrow. main aim to is to keep sharp without doing too much. Time to trust the training now.

Are you doing the 10k on Sunday? I hope to, but depends on family plans for the weekend so might not make it.

Tx lad, been very lucky with the way training has gone last while, haven't missed many key-runs, just need to mind myself now between this and race ( nice idea about playing a game with the HRM !)

An 18-20 miler sounds good, but ure right, needs to be done today/tomorrow ? Its hard isn't it like, to trust the training you've done will get you through the taper, all will be revealed on big day!

Long run is scaled back to 15 for me this wknd.

Won't do the 10k I'd say, session (of the non-training variety) is planned on Saturday, with the Champions-league and Heineken Cup finals on.

Are you gonna wear the racing flats for marathon ? I've raced 15miles in them, but may opt for the DS trainer instead, decisions !

I reckon there could be a good bunch of people aiming to pass through half-way in Cork in/around 1:30, we'll need to tuck in behind them for the open windy sections !

Are you gonna wear the racing flats for marathon ? I've raced 15miles in them, but may opt for the DS trainer instead, decisions !

Dusted off the racing flats yesterday for the first time since Ballycotton...felt great running in them actually so gonna use them for the marathon....didn't have any trouble with them in ballycotton so I think they should be ok....they're DS racers, so they do have some support and cushioning and Asics themselves claim they're good for the marathon so good enough for me.[/QUOTE]
    I reckon there could be a good bunch of people aiming to pass through half-way in Cork in/around 1:30, we'll need to tuck in behind them for the open windy sections !

Yeah, miles 8, 12 & 13 are key I think, you may need a bit of shelter on those miles.

Really looking forward to it now!

Dusted off the racing flats yesterday for the first time since Ballycotton...felt great running in them actually so gonna use them for the marathon....didn't have any trouble with them in ballycotton so I think they should be ok....they're DS racers, so they do have some support and cushioning and Asics themselves claim they're good for the marathon so good enough for me.

They could def help for the sub-3 goal !?!
    Yeah, miles 8, 12 & 13 are key I think, you may need a bit of shelter on those miles.

Really looking forward to it now!

I know the sections your describing there, can be open like. Mite be lucky on straight-road and have wind behind us, will need all the help we can at that stage !

Yep, not long to go now, only 19 days !

Yep, not long to go now, only 19 days !

:eek:

This was tough tonite. Track was saturated, bit of a wind coupled with the rain made it interesting !

7.75miles with 5*km repeats targetting 87s/lap in Lane 1 (3:38min/km), 3mile warm-up, 1mile warm-down!

Figured there'd be safety in numbers, so stepped down a pace group tonite, about 8 of us in total. (Lad I was running with last wk didn't show up, thank god! )

km splits: [3:40, 3:39, 3:43, 3:42, 3:38]
    lap hr splits: [162, 169, 170, 166, 167]

giving average split of 3:40/km and avhr: 167.

Tested myself by moving out to Lane 2, sometimes in Lane 3 for first few repeats, but for 4th and 5th repeats tucked in behind group, could def feel benefit of drafting tonite !
    Aerobically I was fine, but legs are just tired, and were saying NO to going any faster.

3/4 very easy tomorrow, will play the HR game that Gringo was on about ;)

4.4 miles in 35:47, av-pace 8:11min/mile, avhr: 141.

Ran by HR tonite, keeping it nice+easy, legs needed the recovery run after track last nite.

Bought another pair of HyperSpeeds online earlier, was getting worried that they would run out of my size ! :rolleyes:

Set off with Pat from club at 7am this morning for a marathon-paced run at farm.

Ran 10.0miles in 1:08:39, av-pace 6:52min/mile, avhr: 165.
    Were running on grass, but wasn't too bad as bit of dampness on grass from over-nite, but I can tell ya it was fair humid out* ! This was a tough run, legs are tired, but I've a good rest now before Saturday's 15miles.

Really will have to take it handy now over next two weeks, will also look into getting a sports massage for next week, a lot of miles have been ran since my last one in March !

29 today, this one isn't two bad, its next year's birthday thats a different mile-stone ;)

*Very tempted to do a "Peter Maher" on it and run around the farm with my shirt off ;)

29 today, this one isn't two bad, its next year's birthday thats a different mile-stone ;)

Snap! The birthday today bit rather than the age....I've 3 years on you though, 32 today.

Snap! The birthday today bit rather than the age....I've 3 years on you though, 32 today.

Happy birthday lad ! Funny that we share the same day !

don't eat too much cake now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Happy birthday lads
    TNO - please leave the shirt on for the sake of the children!!

That's consistent good running out of you still
    I've not ran in a week and am getting a little worried about the 3:15 goal at this stage, planning a 10k tomorrow mornign to test the leg out, and then a sprint triathlon (5k run) on Saturday. If all goes well would plan on hitting a 16 miler on Sunday and then sitting down to redraft the rest of my taper.

FWIW I asked my physio about getting a loosener type rub down before the marathon, he thought Thursday morning (3rd June) would be best.

Advertisement