Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

DustyBin wrote: »
    Happy birthday lads
    TNO - please leave the shirt on for the sake of the children!!

That's consistent good running out of you still
    I've not ran in a week and am getting a little worried about the 3:15 goal at this stage, planning a 10k tomorrow mornign to test the leg out, and then a sprint triathlon (5k run) on Saturday. If all goes well would plan on hitting a 16 miler on Sunday and then sitting down to redraft the rest of my taper.

FWIW I asked my physio about getting a loosener type rub down before the marathon, he thought Thursday morning (3rd June) would be best.

Cheers Dusty!
    I'm not sure I like the sound of your wknd there, your doing a sprint triathlon on sat and planning a 16miler on Sunday?

Maybe scale back the length of that run on Sunday ? See how you feel after the triathlon? Don't want to risk injuries at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Cheers Dusty!
    I'm not sure I like the sound of your wknd there, your doing a sprint triathlon on sat and planning a 16miler on Sunday?

Maybe scale back the length of that run on Sunday ? See how you feel after the triathlon? Don't want to risk injuries at this stage!

+1 I'd also recommend a very easy 3 miler in the morning to test out the leg rather than a 10k....1 or 2 miles will tell you all you need to know about your leg, anything more will only fatigue you for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good advice there lads, will see how Saturday goes and rethink the distance for Sunday then
    10k is a handy loop I have from the house, and has become my minimum distance over the past few months, but could always run an out and back

Last of the long runs this morning, a hilly loop around Glounthaune area

Distance: 16.30 m, Pace: 7:46, Time: 2:06:35, av hr: 158

This also served as a heat training exercise, very warm when we set off at 8am, and got hotter ! I'd say it was 19/20 C when we were finishing.

Felt very strong this morn, especially on the hills, which I attacked, even though I hadn't ran this loop before, so didn't know how long/sharp the hills would be! A sub-3 attempt would prob be called off if the weather was like this though.

Rest tomorrow and we're officially tapering. Will post a summary of my training next week. Off into town now to look into buying a cap and some shades!!

42.6miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Last of the long runs this morning, a hilly loop around Glounthaune area

Distance: 16.30 m, Pace: 7:46, Time: 2:06:35, av hr: 158

This also served as a heat training exercise, very warm when we set off at 8am, and got hotter ! I'd say it was 19/20 C when we were finishing.

Felt very strong this morn, especially on the hills, which I attacked, even though I hadn't ran this loop before, so didn't know how long/sharp the hills would be! A sub-3 attempt would prob be called off if the weather was like this though.

Rest tomorrow and we're officially tapering. Will post a summary of my training next week. Off into town now to look into buying a cap and some shades!!

42.6miles for the week.

Well done on getting the training done tno,very steady throughout and consistent.
    I have a singlet bought and will be getting its maiden voyage tonight at the race.
    I use glasses sometines,they are decent enough,i think they are cycling ones but stay steady on the head...no movement.
    I hate caps....but will consider one if it is going to be very hot.
    Afterall its not a fashion parade.....

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done on getting the training done tno,very steady throughout and consistent.
    I have a singlet bought and will be getting its maiden voyage tonight at the race.
    I use glasses sometines,they are decent enough,i think they are cycling ones but stay steady on the head...no movement.
    I hate caps....but will consider one if it is going to be very hot.
    Afterall its not a fashion parade.....

Will def be wearing the club singlet i'd say...we could be baking on the model farm road !

Best of luck in the race tonite, give it socks!

I've attached a spreadsheet which summarises my training for Cork over last few months.

Initially I took the Hal Higdon Intermediate II plan as a base, but was modified slightly to account for races and PMP runs.

Very happy with the way training has gone, did not miss many days at all.
    The average weekly mileage over last 16 wks is 43miles (over last 6, 49miles).

Got in 9 runs > 16miles with 5 of those over 18miles and a 22mile run.
    Also have looked after the PMP runs with a peak PMP run of 13.1miles.

Taper-time now... :eek:

Two laps of the farm tonite with Pat, 4.37miles at 8:12min/mile, avhr: 138.

Nice easy paced run, most of heat had gone at this stage, but was still sweating a good bit. The usual marathon talk of "what will the weather be like", "what pace are you going at" was flowing...all of which makes these runs go quicker! ;)

Different weather + session to last week, was warm out but not too bad, supped a lot of water between repeats though !!

Aim was for 5*km repeats. Ran first 3 at 87s/lap (myself and Denis) and last two at 89s/lap (2nd pace group)...all in lane 3. To be honest I could have done 5 probably at the 87s/lap pace, but I think I was minding myself a bit...marathon is < 2wks away now !

I was def working for the first 3, but for the last two, I sat at the back, and stepped it out over last 200m...they were ready for me on the last repeat though and there was a savage sprint to the end...some of that group should be running at a faster pace ! :rolleyes:

Total distance 7.5 miles with km splits : [3:38,3:36,3:36,3:42,3:41]
    and hr splits: [165, 172, 171, 170, 174]

Giving av hr: 170, int: 3:39

Easy run tomorrow...and will try and get down to Ballyandreen 5 mile on Thurs nite. Will NOT be racing it though, but will take it as a PMP run. Be a good test of effort with the hills down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Careful with the 5 miler - it's easy to get sucked into a race. Try and pace someone who's aiming for 34 so you don't get carried away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Going well as usual Tno. Agree with BeepBeep there.

Hope the taper goes well for you. Don't be over thinking things...easier said than done.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Careful with the 5 miler - it's easy to get sucked into a race. Try and pace someone who's aiming for 34 so you don't get carried away.

Will be weary of ending up racing it, but the race starts on a sharp up-hill, so that'll help, as will if I start a good few rows back from front+ ease into the pace. It'll be a good test of discipline I reckon to hold the pace over this run, kinda see it as a simulation of the marathon start.
    Going well as usual Tno. Agree with BeepBeep there.
    Hope the taper goes well for you. Don't be over thinking things...easier said than done.

Thanks Misty. I'm trying to distract myself from taper thoughts, some-times easier said than done as ya know ! On your own side, hope you get those injuries sorted, time for new goals ?

Will be weary of ending up racing it, but the race starts on a sharp up-hill, so that'll help, as will if I start a good few rows back from front+ ease into the pace.

How about offering to pace someone to a PB. Theres probably someone in your club who wants to break 34min for the first time???

Gringo78 wrote: »
    How about offering to pace someone to a PB. Theres probably someone in your club who wants to break 34min for the first time???

Very good idea, I'll ask around !

Very good idea, I'll ask around !

Condo131 might even be interested in a 34min pacer in Ballyandreen.....

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Condo131 might even be interested in a 34min pacer in Ballyandreen.....

Condo ran 42:18 (1st M55 as well !) in the Emer Casey 10k, 6:48 pace, he might be too hot for me !

Condo ran 42:18 (1st M55 as well !) in the Emer Casey 10k, 6:48 pace, he might be too hot for me !

Ah yeah....but Emer Casey Run and Ballyandreen are polar opposites - uphill/downhill....If he ran 6:48 for that 10k, then 6:48/49 would be about right for ballyandreen. Good run though Condo in the Emer Casey.

Easy running tonite...

... 3.52miles at 7:50min/mile, avhr: 142. The most exciting thing about this run was the "keep your HR low " game that I was playing, that and watching the Cork Lady Footballers going threw a few drills ! ;)

Total distance 7.2miles with 5miles in 34:00, av-pace: 6:48, avhr:166

Used this race as my final PMP run. Hadn't ran this in two years and had forgotten how hilly it was! Having said that, it was still very hard to hold back and treat it as a PMP run...first mile slow, 2nd mile too fast...very hard to settle into a pace of 6:45->6:50 that I wanted.

I was comfortable the whole way but probably worked the hills a bit too much...did take it very easy on the downhill sections. It finishes on a very sharp downhill, which I was easily doing 6:20pace...that was me holding back !

Maybe I'm left with more thoughts than I had before 8pm...but the first 5miles in Cork certainly won't be as hilly as tonite...and hopefully will keep pace that bit easier !?!

P.S. It took me till the 4th mile to catch Condo131, who ran a very good race to get under 34:00, nice one !

Just looking at results here, over 500 in the race in total !

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg843qdh_85hbx8vvcr

James McCarthy won the mens race in 25:16, but looks like a very close race in womens with Lizzie Lee winning in 28:29 from Claire Gibbons-McCarthy by only 3seconds !

I finished 143rd overall...bit of work to do if I want to make the top-50 for series! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Total distance 7.2miles with 5miles in 34:00, av-pace: 6:48, avhr:166

Used this race as my final PMP run. Hadn't ran this in two years and had forgotten how hilly it was! Having said that, it was still very hard to hold back and treat it as a PMP run...first mile slow, 2nd mile too fast...very hard to settle into a pace of 6:45->6:50 that I wanted.

I was comfortable the whole way but probably worked the hills a bit too much...did take it very easy on the downhill sections. It finishes on a very sharp downhill, which I was easily doing 6:20pace...that was me holding back !

Maybe I'm left with more thoughts than I had before 8pm...but the first 5miles in Cork certainly won't be as hilly as tonite...and hopefully will keep pace that bit easier !?!

P.S. It took me till the 4th mile to catch Condo131, who ran a very good race to get under 34:00, nice one !

A good sign IMO that you were straining to hold back. In the marathon in my experience the whole challenge in the first half is one of concentration - trying to keep on pace and not faster. I find remembering the pain I had at the end of long runs helps slow me down and during the beginning of long runs/the two marathons ive done. That and I watch the garmin 'virtual partner' every 400 yards or so until I am in a groove at the 'right' pace.

11.42miles in 1:32:46. av-pace 8:07min/mile, avhr: 153.

As is traditional for club apparently, the last long run before Cork in recent years, is the Monkstown Rafeen Hill Loop. This was a steady enough run to be honest, the only place where I pushed was on the hill itself, when a couple of lads came on my shoulder pushing to take the summit ! ;)

34miles for the week.

Well, its getting near show-time folks...must get out to the shop and get a blast of pasta in...that and ice-cream ! :D

Well this post has come about following one of the lads on the run yesterday saying to me:

"So what plans for after the marathon ?"

My reply:

"Eh, ....I dunno really...I haven't thought about it ...."

It just goes to show how much the marathon training takes over your thoughts! I really have not thought about any plans for after Cork.

So here go some thoughts now:
    - Get swimming lessons
    - More gym work (arms !)
    - Track Race (e.g mile or 3k)
    - Complete Ballycotton Series
    - Improve 5mile time (low 29's, maybe sub-29?)
    - Target Cork/Waterford half marathons for 1:20 / 1:21
    - Cork to Cobh Race
    - Cross Country Race (There's a reason why this is at bottom of list !)

Ya can see from the list, there's no mention of any marathon...I think Cork is enough this year...I do want to do Dublin, but it'll probably be next year...

The rain-jacket was back on this evening, funny how the weather can swing around in a few days ! Was running on grass tho, and ground was lovely and soft...a nice change!

3.0miles very easy at 8:08min/mile, avhr: 147.

For the rest of the week i've the following in mind:

Tu - 5miles with 3*1k at 90s/lap.
    We- 3miles easy / REST
    Th - 5miles with 2/3miles at PMP pace.
    Fr - REST
    Sa - REST
    Su - 2/3 very-easy.
    Mon - D-Day

A light track session tonite, to give the legs a bit of turn-over. 3*km repeats...
    Aim was for 93s/lap in Lane 3 giving a target of 3:52min/km. Ran with Pat who is also tapering for Cork

Total Dist: 4.0m
    3*1k @ splits: [3:59,3:57,3:56],
    HR split: [157, 163, 160],
    av hr: 160, int: 3:57

Way off the mark in terms of target pace, on average 5seconds off ! I was holding back like and did not want to push things too far. Pat was even further behind me still !
    I guess if he was on my shoulder we'd have hit the splits, but I didn't care too much tonite, just good to get a bit of turn-over going....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

How are ya fixed for Monday? I'd love to be doing Cork, am especially interested in how the alterations to the course will (hopefully) help.

Otherwise: Pasta pasta pasta!

Killerz wrote: »
    How are ya fixed for Monday? I'd love to be doing Cork, am especially interested in how the alterations to the course will (hopefully) help.

Otherwise: Pasta pasta pasta!

I'm not too bad now. Its a long week like! I've stopped checking the forecast every day, not much we can do about it anyway !

WELL DONE on your race last wknd, great report ! :D

4miles with Pat out at farm with 2miles at PMP.

PMP splits: [6:49,6:48]
    PMPhr splits: [152,162]

Threw on the HyperSpeed's for the run this morn, think they helped me relax into the pace that bit easier, even though we were running on grass, breathing was very controlled.. Strongly thinking of wearing them now for marathon.

It was only 2miles though, session was for the head more than anything !

Thats it now folks really. Resting now till Sunday, where I'll just do 2/3 easy miles. Will pick up race-pack on saturday. Time to up the pasta intake from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Enjoy your few days rest TNO, see you nice and fresh on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best of luck - chillax and look after the body and diet.

Advertisement