Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Reads like a Stephen King thriller with an emotional touch at the end....
    Well done tno....you set your stall out early and went right up there with Mick....bold decision but it paid off for you.
    Running with the group helped everybody.....well done.

Its nice to be a member of the sub 3 club.....but you my rebel friend are a member of the "first time marathon sub 3 club"...not many can lay claim to that.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Great job, and great report tno, very inspirational. I'm actually looking forward to the DCM now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great report and well done again. Reading it felt almost like bein there, i was startin to feel the strain myself in your last few miles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Great job, and great report tno, very inspirational. I'm actually looking forward to the DCM now :-)

Tx Speedy ! And so you should be looking forward to DCM. There's great advice here on boards for marathon training! I'm gonna post a few "lessons learned" in a day or so here or in the sub-3 support thread. Its from reading other peoples reports and logs that gave me the motivation to go for it.
    smmoore79 wrote: »
    Great report and well done again. Reading it felt almost like bein there, i was startin to feel the strain myself in your last few miles!!!

Tx smmoore79 ! that strain was very real ;) Looking forward to reading the rest of your log. We may be swapping roles, me after your 5mile times and you after sub- 3 ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great work tno, and an exciting race report to boot! You really hung on in there well and a great strong finish at the end. excellent result - enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done you have reaped the benefits of a well executed training plan - put the feet up, relax and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Gringo maybe saw I wasn't as comfortable I reckon...but shouted out a few words of encouragement to me which really helped, thanks !

No bother....I could see alright at that stage that you seemed to be just about hanging in and hitting a bad patch. Thats the benefit of running in a group....get through the half mile where you're having some doubts and then you're grand again. you held it together though, fairplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Top class stuff tno, I enjoyed that. I could feel the excitement of it all and thats made me hungrier for another stab at the big 26.2.
    A major well done man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

That's some fair tough running there TNO, huge congratulations on achieving such an aggressive goal on your first marathon.
    That feeling when you think it's slipping away from you after all that effort? - you did really great to tough it out
    Well done, delighted for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done TNO - awesome debut.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the nice posts lads...i'm still on a high after it! :D Legs are starting to come round, stairs not a problem anymore ! :rolleyes:

Training summary for marathon is attached, key being the PMP runs and the long runs over hills...

Photos from different points in race of the sub-3 paced group.
    (I'm #296 in the white cap+ black Eagle AC singlet)

The only story not captured is what happened at mile 24 when Gringo kicked for home with Sosa on his heels... ;)

Tell me the chick that out kicked you was doing the relay ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Tell me the chick that out kicked you was doing the relay ;)

I tell ya coming in towards finish, I didn't even notice that girl, it was only the clock I had an eye on ! :eek:

...and yes she did the relay ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Great report tno, I was feeling tense towards the end of it! That's some result for a marathon but for your first it's something else.. Great going, your training was spot on for this.

11.68 miles with club this morning, Balinora loop over hills. Good crack among the group, hearing more stories from Cork+people's plans for summer. Av-pace: 8:30min/mile, avhr: 150.

Legs were much better on Thursday, but right calf I noticed wasn't great, so booked a sports massage for yesterday evening. Man, getting that IT-band worked on is tough going !

Tired now after run, but good to get it in ! Whatever about my legs, I kinda have a general tiredness since Monday, prob take a while to get that back 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭aero2k

tisnotover wrote: »
    Tired now after run, but good to get it in ! Whatever about my legs, I kinda have a general tiredness since Monday, prob take a while to get that back 100%.
    Jaysus tno, it's not even a week yet! My legs felt fine after Edinburgh - i.e. no pains or aches, but I did have a major dose of tiredness, like I hadn't slept for a week.
    You did some run last Monday - it took me 26 years to do what you did in less than 26 weeks - take plenty of time to recover.

Well, since my last update there hasn't been much happening on the running front, mainly down to a dodgy calf.

I woke up on sunday and it was sore-ish to walk on. The pain is towards the outside and in the middle of my right calf. I've been icing it and have borrowed a foam roller off a guy at work (have since ordered one!).

On Tuesday it felt good enough to cross-train on, so went to gym and did a session on bike and cross-trainer as well as some weights.

Rested Wed and with no pain in my leg walking on Thurs I said i'd chance 2.2miles easy on grass. All was fine, till 0.5mile in and I could feel it coming on again. Its not a sharp pain and can run on it, but def wouldn't chance anything faster than 8min/mile on it.

Rested again today and just icing and foam rolling it. I might cross-train in the morning but apart from that I'll leave another attempt at running till Monday. If its not right then, well it'll be the physio I guess !

To be honest having this is nearly a good thing, as its forced me into a break, which I think I deserve after Cork! ;) Its helped me focus on goals for the summer/autumn, all of which can be tackled once I'm right again.

Hopefully its just a niggle that will be right very soon,but you are right to rest up...you have absolutely nothing to gain by training on it,and your autumn/winter targets could be affected if you do.
    enjoy the rest

What do you know about this race ?

Sun 15 August Grange-Fermoy A.C. 10 mile Road Race- Contact Clotilde Fitzgibbon 086 3162145 Ballyhooley, Co. Cork

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »

Sun 15 August Grange-Fermoy A.C. 10 mile Road Race- Contact Clotilde Fitzgibbon 086 3162145 Ballyhooley, Co. Cork

I did a bit of research....i wont be travelling :

Sunday, August 16, 2009

John Harnett Challenge

What a very enjoyable race. Something different to the norm. The first 5 miles were pretty much all uphill and the remaining 4.5 miles were virtuall all down hill. The track was a mixture of road and dirt track.

There was a turnout of 56 athletes. With Kieran Meade winning from Tralee in a time of 55.29.

There was 5 from Grange/Fermoy on show again. With Michael Lyons once again leading home the team and finishing second.

Pos Time Name Club Cat
    2 55.49 Michael Lyons Grange/Fermoy SM
    8 65.00 Brian O'Connor Grange/Fermoy SM
    9 65.49 Maurice Tobin Grange/Fermoy M55
    18 70.26 Olan Barrett Grange/Fermoy SM
    23 71.59 Mary Sheehan Grange/Fermoy F50

Maurice Tobin was first in the M55 category and Mary Sheehan was first in the F50 category. Grange/Fermoy also took second in the team category so all that took part for Grange/Fermoy won a prize.

Well done to all.

Sosa wrote: »

Thanks for looking that up Sosa. I think I remember that race being advertised last yr and didn't do it either.

I'm half tempted to head upto Dublin for the 10mile up there, Frank Duffy ?
    Will see how i'm fixed, mite just focus on the half.

Too nice an evening to not test the calf out, so out to the farm for a couple of laps.

4.4miles at 7:45min/mile.

Calf seems much improved, the pain that was there on Thursday is not there, and I don't have it walking. Will do same easy run tomorrow, steady as she goes like. I feel rested which is a good thing !

5miles at 7:50min/mile out at farm. Real nice to be running around the fields, same weather as I remember as last year. Did a few strides to finish with, also a test of the calf.

Gonna head to the track tomorrow evening, but will not go with the faster group, but will drop one instead. Will sit at back of the group and let them do the pace, i've nothing to prove, I'm only coming back. For me its a test of+minding of the calf, if it feels off, thats the session done.

Making a point of drinking more water during the day, while at work etc. Did this especially in last 10days before marathon+have kept it going.

Had in my head that we were doing km repeats and wasn't looking forward to it, as I haven't done a hard session in about 4wks at track!

Coach though had change of plans for the group. Instead it was anaerobic sprints in this order: 1*60m, 1*80m, 1*100m, 1*120m, 1*100m, 1*80m, jogging back to start after each. 4.5miles total incl. warm-up/down.

Sprints were all-out, trying to focus on form and being relaxed. Certainly a change from the km repeats, my legs were like jelly at end of it ! Not sure about my form towards end, and not sure ya could call my striding relaxed !

Calf is much improved now. A recovery run tomorrow and I hope to do the 2nd race in the Ballycotton series, the Shangarry 5mile, on Thursday. Not sure at all what to expect from it. These races are getting very competitive like, not alone within the club, but with other clubs as well ! :D

... but jasus, my ham-strings are as tight as I don't know what!

Not as bad as when I started out, but still tight. That track session really took it out of me. 4.0miles at 8:20min/mile. + 4*100m strides at 5k pace (trying to loosen out).

Did a few stretches for ham-strings at end, but i'd say i'm only 50:50 for racing like. Thats not good enough. I'll see how things are tomorrow, but i'm not optomistic. There's a 10k on Friday as well, maybe i'll do that.

If the hams are tight, it might be an idea to deffo skip the Thursday run. Id go for the Friday one instead. Plenty of stretches in the meantime!

Hamstrings were tight when I got up out of bed and generally around office all day. This morning I was certain I wouldn't do the race. Stretches at lunch-time+some foam rolling had some affect and could feel myself loosening out.

Said I'd call it at 5pm and see how I was, still tight. Went home after work and had something to eat, cup of tea and around 6 biscuits feeling sorry / frustrated for myself ! Feck it I said maybe I could use it as a tempo run, some stretches again, packed the bag with gear and off down to the race with me !

Walking to registration, still tight, this is nuts I said, but a good warm-up and I might loosen out. Met 3 club-mates who incidentally had the exact same complaints after Tuesday's session, off we went on a 3mile warm-up. Took a while, but I did loosen out. On with the race number and upto the start line, where I did a few strides, good to go.

Whistle went, and half mile in I was not doing tempo pace, but sub 6 pace. It felt ok like, so kept going, I'd made my bed now, so would have to go with it !! Mile 1 in 5:50. Did not really notice ham-strings, adrenalin ? Mile two was tougher, 6:06 split, ok, we've steadied a bit. Tough mile to come, which it certainly was, drag out of Garryvoe, 6:36 split, feeling it now. Wasn't I storming up these hills before like ? ;) All I could think of now was just finishing it.

Mile 4 is where the wheels came off for me, there's a sharp downhill section for a few 100m, and I did something I normally wouldn't do...I attacked it. Half way down, I felt something which I hadn't gotten since Dungarvan, a damn stitch, but this was tougher today, the pace was faster ! Tried a few things to get rid of it, but couldn't, I stopped to walking pace....race over. The end of mile 4 has a nasty climb to it, if it wasn't for club-mates running past asking was I ok and shouting encouragement at me to get going, I prob wouldn't have, but I got the legs turning again. Mile 4 in 6:48, not sure how long I was walking yet.

Mile 5 felt like it took forever, the stitch was here to stay and it was with me as I crossed the line. Very disheartening to see gang ya know fly by ya. Last mile in 6:53.

Clocked it at 32:12. Results have me at 83rd overall.

A warm-down with the club brought total miles to 9.7 for the day.

I needed the race though and I'm glad I ran it all same. Its a tough course and you earn your time on it. The positive is, I have my motivation back, I have something to drive on with over summer for training.

Lessons learned:
    Don't eat/drink as I did this evening so close to the race, I never normally do... I shouldn;t be getting stitches.
    Work on my downhill running !
    Don't deviate from the tempo plan next time...stick to the race plan !
    Don't race on tight hamstrings....I wouldn't have attempted that in a million years if it was during the marathon program.

^ Don't worry about your performances post Cork until mid July at least, it will take some time to get the zip back in the legs.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    ^ Don't worry about your performances post Cork until mid July at least, it will take some time to get the zip back in the legs.

Agreeing with Beep Beep67, yer legs must still be weak from Cork. Try to get at least 2/3 rest days a week until ya feel the strength coming back..

Advertisement