Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

8.9miles on grass this morn. Legs are better than they were going into Thursday's race ;)

Pace was 8:15min/mile, avhr: 157. The heart-rate is high for me, its indicative of the heat that was there this morn (thank god I wore a singlet) but also the fact that i'm coming back aerobically after the marathon.

I'm gonna use a few races coming up down here as tempo runs, I find continuos tempo runs hard anyway so doing them in a race environment will be easier. It'll also teach me a bit of discipline to keep the tempo pace constant. The other session that I want to try and work on is doing 400's at track. Maybe starting out with 6*400m and building up.

32.1 miles for the week. Looks like i'll break the 1000mile mark by end of next wk, must remember fist-pump ;)

4.6miles which included 4*80m strides at end. av-pace 8:15min/mile, avhr: 145.

Still sticky and warm enough out after work, which helped the final drops of Guinness sweat out of the system (Sat nite was mental !)

Track tomorrow.

5.5miles which included 5*50m sprints and 4*400m.

The 50m sprints I took a little bit handier tonite, as I knew the 400's were following, prob at about 80% effort.

The 400's were interesting. Two-groups going, the first set out 5s before the other. Pace was targeting 70s/lap for group I was in, or as close as you could get to it.

Managed splits of [68, 69, 70, 71]. Very tough going and surprised myself tonite by getting the set in, gasping at end after each like. There was a good recovery (5min) between each, so you could give each 400m a good go. An interesting session, might be 600's next week.

God help my legs tomorrow ! :rolleyes:

Just a lap of farm tonite as a recovery run, legs not too bad at all after yest. Did some strides as well afterwards to lossen legs.

2.2miles at 8:06min/mile, avhr:147.

Will head to track again tomorrow, few gang are doing some 200's, so will give them a go.

Coach has us down for a speedwork phase for next 5/6 wks so will go along with sessions he's planned. Its not about high mileage wks, but making sure getting in good speed sessions.

A welcome change after the marathon training ;)

First time ever doing two track sessions in one week. Aim tonite was for 2*(4*200m's). 200m target was 35s with 35s recovery. Time between sets was 5mins.

Only three of us out at track, there was a 5k race on in Macroom. Nice bit of wind blowing the far-side of track, so had to manage that.

Total Dist: 5.50 m including warm-up/down.
    200's done in [33, 35, 34, 35], [33, 34, 36, 35]

First set was fine, well was glad to be finished first set and going into 5min recovery. Legs were wobbly (a good sign according to coach) for toe-ing line for second set. Was working hard for last couple of 200's. Led two lads with me around for first 6, but one of em took it on himself to lead us for last two, was glad of the pull along (not that I could pass him!)

Will alternate this session with a tempo run each Thurs. happy out with session as we hit the target. That short recovery is a killer, but good crack all same ! :D

• Advertisement

Got a new job lads, happy days, tough getting it as they are few and far between at moment for us engineers.
    The interviews were grand, its the breaking the news bit to managers here was the tough bit !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Got a new job lads, happy days, tough getting it as they are few and far between at moment for us engineers.
    The interviews were grand, its the breaking the news bit to managers here was the tough bit !!

Congrats....still in Cork area? Hope you confirmed beforehand that they have showers at work...very important for stepping things up to lunch time running

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Congrats....still in Cork area? Hope you confirmed beforehand that they have showers at work...very important for stepping things up to lunch time running

tx! still in city thank god.

Damn it, didn't confirm the shower thing! ;)

Whats the next race for ya ? Are ya busy with triathlon training ?

Whats the next race for ya ? Are ya busy with triathlon training ?

No races planned for the moment...maybe Churchtown South 5. Would definetly like to run Ballycotton 5 in late august. Getting back into the swing of things since the marathon, have been on holidays and travelling abroad with work so training has been erratic but have been getting the runs in with a lot more bike, getting out on the road with the bike also and some openwater swimming so I think I can be in good shape for the triathlon in september. Had wanted to do National HM but triathlon clashes now so may have to make a decision on that in August but likely the triathlon will win out.

No races planned for the moment...maybe Churchtown South 5. Would definetly like to run Ballycotton 5 in late august. Getting back into the swing of things since the marathon, have been on holidays and travelling abroad with work so training has been erratic but have been getting the runs in with a lot more bike, getting out on the road with the bike also and some openwater swimming so I think I can be in good shape for the triathlon in september. Had wanted to do National HM but triathlon clashes now so may have to make a decision on that in August but likely the triathlon will win out.

Ballycotton 5 is one of my favourites, will def see ya down there and in Churchtown if ya head down.

Best of luck with the triathlon training, your crossing over to the dark side ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Ballycotton 5 is one of my favourites, will def see ya down there and in Churchtown if ya head down.

Best of luck with the triathlon training, your crossing over to the dark side ;)

What kind of a course is that tno ?
    I may venture up

Sosa wrote: »
    What kind of a course is that tno ?
    I may venture up

First two miles are effectively same as first two miles of Ballycotton 10, downhill running -> flat. First part of mile 3 is flat. There's a good climb->sharp climb between 3.5 -> 4. You crest the hill and then it rolls downhill with a few uphill drags to finish. I ran the last two miles of this race in 6:00 min/miles last yr so it has good memories for me ;)

Worth a trip, i'm sure there'll be a few Waterford lads heading down, its the last thurs of august I think.

First two miles are effectively same as first two miles of Ballycotton 10, downhill running -> flat. First part of mile 3 is flat. There's a good climb->sharp climb between 3.5 -> 4. You crest the hill and then it rolls downhill with a few uphill drags to finish. I ran the last two miles of this race in 6:00 min/miles last yr so it has good memories for me ;)

Worth a trip, i'm sure there'll be a few Waterford lads heading down, its the last thurs of august I think.

Thanks,i'll put it down as a maybe...

11.6miles this morn with club, avhr:156, av-pace 8:01min/mile.

Parked at B+Q and took in Monkstown Rafeen Loop. John and myself pushed hard on the hill, averaged 7:40 for the mile going up it, which was one of our fastest times doing it, if not the fastest.

I kept trying to break him, pushing on when he miten't have expected it but he kept with me and the strangest thing happened, near top, he pushed on and opened a few metres on me, I was empty at that stage. Good fun, as the rest of the loop is flat as a pancake ! I'll get him next time :)

999.86miles for the yr ! Damn it, I should have tagged on a lap of car-park at end ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

11.6miles this morn with club, avhr:156, av-pace 8:01min/mile.

Parked at B+Q and took in Monkstown Rafeen Loop. John and myself pushed hard on the hill, averaged 7:40 for the mile going up it, which was one of our fastest times doing it, if not the fastest.

I kept trying to break him, pushing on when he miten't have expected it but he kept with me and the strangest thing happened, near top, he pushed on and opened a few metres on me, I was empty at that stage. Good fun, as the rest of the loop is flat as a pancake ! I'll get him next time :)

999.86miles for the yr ! Damn it, I should have tagged on a lap of car-park at end ;)

Quick out for a .14 mile sprint the finish line in sight:D

ecoli wrote: »
    Quick out for a .14 mile sprint the finish line in sight:D

Was very tempted ecoli ! But left it to today.

5.0miles at 7:46min/mile, avhr:153. Very warm out, thought the breeze would be stronger+would be more cooling, but no such luck ! Ran with my trusty white-cap again to keep the heat off !

Finished run with 4*100m strides, have been using these now after each Monday run and getting used to them.

The 1000mile mark has been reached folks, nice milestone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Was very tempted ecoli ! But left it to today.

5.0miles at 7:46min/mile, avhr:153. Very warm out, thought the breeze would be stronger+would be more cooling, but no such luck ! Ran with my trusty white-cap again to keep the heat off !

Finished run with 4*100m strides, have been using these now after each Monday run and getting used to them.

The 1000mile mark has been reached folks, nice milestone.

Congrats on the 1000 mile and half way through the year you may even double it by the end of the year;). Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done on the mileage! your tiping away nicely

what pace do you do the 4x100m at? have been doing these myself but not sure what pace to do em at...

seanynova wrote: »
    well done on the mileage! your tiping away nicely

what pace do you do the 4x100m at? have been doing these myself but not sure what pace to do em at...

Hiya, I'd do each 100m like this, jog slowly for about 20m, stride out for 60m, jog for 20m. For the middle bit it'd be about 5k pace, maybe a tad faster, it wouldn't be an all-out sprint.

The first one i'd always do a little slower as well, to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Hiya, I'd do each 100m like this, jog slowly for about 20m, stride out for 60m, jog for 20m. For the middle bit it'd be about 5k pace, maybe a tad faster, it wouldn't be an all-out sprint.

The first one i'd always do a little slower as well, to get into it.

cheers, ill be doing a few of them as the weeks go on...

also, your up to over 1000 posts now too!

• Advertisement

Same as last wk. 5*50m followed by 4*400's. Full recoveries betwee the 400's.

5.5miles total incl. warm-up/down.

Wore my flats (hyperspeeds) to track tonite for first time as there is a 3k graded race on next Monday and hope to do it, so wanted to see how they'd handle. Lanes 1+2 closed off, so back out to lane 3. Bit of a wind there, but in my head I knew it'd be grand as it'd be behind us for some-bit as well.

400 splits: 68,69,70,68. Times very similar to last wk, even being in Lane 3, I guess the difference is the shoes! Very happen with session. For a couple of the 400's I tucked in behind whoever led it out for the bend+then drew level+pushed on for last 300m. a good feeling.

3.5miles at 7:54min/mile, avhr:146. warm+windy at farm this evening, but wind was nice+cooling to run into. Legs not too bad after last nite. Taking the 4:1 after hard session still+seems to help, either that, or its a placebo thing ! Did 4*100m strides as well to loosen out and a good bit of stretching.

Heading down to Corkbeg 5mile tomorrow nite, last ran this two years ago. Plan is to do first 3miles at tempo pace, and see what I have for last two miles. SHould be plenty of club-mates to fall in with for first 3 and then chase a few down hopefully in last couple of miles.

Will have to watch start tho as its downhill, don't want to get carried away like in Shanagarry, I'm not back yet like !

Heading down to Corkbeg 5mile tomorrow nite, last ran this two years ago. Plan is to do first 3miles at tempo pace, and see what I have for last two miles. SHould be plenty of club-mates to fall in with for first 3 and then chase a few down hopefully in last couple of miles.

Will have to watch start tho as its downhill, don't want to get carried away like in Shanagarry, I'm not back yet like !

I used to do that route as part of tempo runs and interval sessions...its windy today so the last 2 miles will be directly into a strong wind....I used to run by HR on windy days and found if my target interval pace was 5:55 I needed to go 5:45/5:50 with the wind and 6:00/6:05 against it depending on the wind strength to achieve 5:55 effort. The first 2.5 miles are net downhill and with the wind so you might need to run 5-10sec faster a mile than your normal tempo pace to even things out. From 2.5 to 4 is flat as a pancake but if its windy will be a very tough slog. The last mile is no better come to think of it...exposed, into the wind and uphill at the end...lucky you..fantastic place to run though, great views of the harbour. Best of luck this evening.

I used to do that route as part of tempo runs and interval sessions...its windy today so the last 2 miles will be directly into a strong wind....I used to run by HR on windy days and found if my target interval pace was 5:55 I needed to go 5:45/5:50 with the wind and 6:00/6:05 against it depending on the wind strength to achieve 5:55 effort. The first 2.5 miles are net downhill and with the wind so you might need to run 5-10sec faster a mile than your normal tempo pace to even things out. From 2.5 to 4 is flat as a pancake but if its windy will be a very tough slog. The last mile is no better come to think of it...exposed, into the wind and uphill at the end...lucky you..fantastic place to run though, great views of the harbour. Best of luck this evening.

Thanks for info there. Going out 5/10s faster than tempo is what I had in mind too, just as long as I don't go out 20/25s faster than it ! My thinking of picking it up in last two miles will remain to be seen. By picking it up, it may mean trying to hold pace into the wind/hill in last 1.5miles !

Think there's a BBQ after, mite hang around for that ! :)

well done on the 1000m tno

Wet and a little bit windy for this tonite, good crowd showed up all same. Managed to stick to plan, no stitches so happy out and ran a good last couple of miles (catching a few team-mates in end!)

9miles total with Corkbeg 5 in 30:58, avhr 177.
    Mile splits: 6:06, 6:21, 6:19, 6:12, 5:58
    HR splits: 168, 179, 176, 179, 183.

first mile is net downhill, and ran it controlled, was very tempting, to take another 10s off that split. Steady for 2nd mile, and was in a small group with a few lads, so kept it going, couple of drags between miles 2+3, but the 6:20 pace was comfortable.

On the sharp downhill section, Grellan flew past me, I was more conservative, nervous after getting the stitch in last race on downhill. 3 others passed me as well. On the lfat, I caught those 3 soon enough, but Grellan was pushing on and caught John (another club-mate). The last two miles were all about closing these lads back in, and possibly catching Pat (who was in distance).

As soon as I passed 3rd mile marker I wanted to push on, but I just didn't see the pace coming with me, the gap only closed a small bit, but through mile 4, I found another gear, and flew past Grellan+John. Pat was tiring I thought and he was my hare for last mile. I didn't catch him tho, maybe I could have pushed earlier.

The HR splits are good. I got what I wanted out of race like. Next up now is the 3k on the track, that will be arace, there'll be no holding back there ! :)

Wet and a little bit windy for this tonite, good crowd showed up all same. Managed to stick to plan, no stitches so happy out and ran a good last couple of miles (catching a few team-mates in end!)

9miles total with Corkbeg 5 in 30:58, avhr 177.
    Mile splits: 6:06, 6:21, 6:19, 6:12, 5:58
    HR splits: 168, 179, 176, 179, 183.

first mile is net downhill, and ran it controlled, was very tempting, to take another 10s off that split. Steady for 2nd mile, and was in a small group with a few lads, so kept it going, couple of drags between miles 2+3, but the 6:20 pace was comfortable.

On the sharp downhill section, Grellan flew past me, I was more conservative, nervous after getting the stitch in last race on downhill. 3 others passed me as well. On the lfat, I caught those 3 soon enough, but Grellan was pushing on and caught John (another club-mate). The last two miles were all about closing these lads back in, and possibly catching Pat (who was in distance).

As soon as I passed 3rd mile marker I wanted to push on, but I just didn't see the pace coming with me, the gap only closed a small bit, but through mile 4, I found another gear, and flew past Grellan+John. Pat was tiring I thought and he was my hare for last mile. I didn't catch him tho, maybe I could have pushed earlier.

The HR splits are good. I got what I wanted out of race like. Next up now is the 3k on the track, that will be arace, there'll be no holding back there ! :)

Well done tno,i think your the most conservative runner i know...it works well for you.
    pre dublin i was running like a lunatic in races,flying out of the traps and holding on for dear life near the end...now i am more controlled and getting better results from it.
    This running is all in the mind,keep making yourself feel good in training and races and it will benefit you in your goalds,whatever they are.

Well done tno,i think your the most conservative runner i know...it works well for you.

Ure not the first person to say that to me about the conservative thing, u prob won't be the last ! :) Got some slagging off lads like, saying why the hell didn't ya race the f-ing thing flat out.

Need to practice my downhill running !

Ure not the first person to say that to me about the conservative thing, u prob won't be the last ! :) Got some slagging off lads like, saying why the hell didn't ya race the f-ing thing flat out.

Need to practice my downhill running !

Dont mind them and dont change a thing...what your doing works well for you and you got your sub 3 out of it,but there will come a time when you will want to push out the shorter distances and see what your capable of and to do that you cant be ultra conservative.

You may not believe me but i am conservative also,i was ultra conservative in Cork and somewhat pi$$ed of at myself that i didnt push on at 18 or 20 as i was feeling great,i was happy to sit tight in the comfort zone,there will be no comfort zone for me at the 5k next week or the national half in Sept.

• Advertisement

You may not believe me but i am conservative also,i was ultra conservative in Cork and somewhat pi$$ed of at myself that i didnt push on at 18 or 20 as i was feeling great,i was happy to sit tight in the comfort zone,there will be no comfort zone for me at the 5k next week or the national half in Sept.

yourself and gringo were def in a comfort zone there and ye weren't the only ones, that girl form Clonmel AC and the Midleton AC lad were all happy out in group till mile 24. It was harder work for me believe me ;)

The 3k will have a higher avhr I reckon, not sure I'll find much comfort on the track ;)

Advertisement