Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    The 3k will have a higher avhr I reckon, not sure I'll find much comfort on the track ;)

Whats the goal pace for the 3k? I checked sportstracks for my 5km splits yesterday evening and I ran the first 3k in 10:18......10:15, 5:30 pace, 82sec per lap, would be a nice even target for you? Or will you go for 80sec a lap and sub 10???

I'd also suggest going in the faster race.....10:10 was usually always good enough in the east cork 3k series for a top 10 time so you won't be out of your depth in the faster race....there aren't as many fast 3k runners in cork as you'd think. You've been doing a lot of speed work over the last 3 months and especially the faster stuff in recent weeks, you should definitely be able to pull out a faster 3k than me and mine came within a 5km race....

So, are we agreed then, 9:59? Time to shed that conservatism and break some barriers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    So, are we agreed then, 9:59? Time to shed that conservatism and break some barriers....

9:59 has a nice ring to it...like 2:59:59 or 29:59...you get my meaning
    I will be amazed if you take the shackles off tno...prove us wrong,doesnt matter a damn if you dont get it...just to have the balls to take it on...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Whats the goal pace for the 3k? I checked sportstracks for my 5km splits yesterday evening and I ran the first 3k in 10:18......10:15, 5:30 pace, 82sec per lap, would be a nice even target for you? Or will you go for 80sec a lap and sub 10???

I'd also suggest going in the faster race.....10:10 was usually always good enough in the east cork 3k series for a top 10 time so you won't be out of your depth in the faster race....there aren't as many fast 3k runners in cork as you'd think. You've been doing a lot of speed work over the last 3 months and especially the faster stuff in recent weeks, you should definitely be able to pull out a faster 3k than me and mine came within a 5km race....

I def want to get into the first race, and go with the faster group. I'd much rather do that than lead out the 2nd group, f-that !
    Ure spot on with the 80-82s/lap approach. I'm thinking to try and do as many 80s laps as I can. There'll be a good pace going I reckon, so gonna just go with it !
    Sosa wrote: »
    9:59 has a nice ring to it...like 2:59:59 or 29:59...you get my meaning
    I will be amazed if you take the shackles off tno...prove us wrong,doesnt matter a damn if you dont get it...just to have the balls to take it on...:D

Its a guaranteed PB sosa, so ure rite, there's nothing to lose. I'm gonna give it a good shot Monday, even going tapering for it a bit and cutting short my long run tomorrow....now there's a first ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Best of luck with the 3k tno.

Might do a 2 mile on the road in the next week or two. Did one in '08 and I still remember the suffering...

Belated congrats on the 1000 miles.

results from last nite up:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=16dv1x9u1yW9fbLlfZEtzKW5WHni9ysM300X6LwXZ0-s&hl=en&pli=1#

Disappointing crowd in end, I thought there'd be more at it, maybe the weather put em off. I see Kevin Smith ran 28:52 last nite. He still hasn't got his name in the results from Cork marathon (lost his timing-chip) even tho he ran 2:58 in end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I def want to get into the first race, and go with the faster group. I'd much rather do that than lead out the 2nd group, f-that !
    Ure spot on with the 80-82s/lap approach. I'm thinking to try and do as many 80s laps as I can. There'll be a good pace going I reckon, so gonna just go with it !

Its a guaranteed PB sosa, so ure rite, there's nothing to lose. I'm gonna give it a good shot Monday, even going tapering for it a bit and cutting short my long run tomorrow....now there's a first ! :)

3k can be deceptive - used to be my key race when i was younger.
    1st k is important that you stay in control, it's quite easy to blast through and then be on the ropes after that. If your running 80secs per lap and you feel like you are holding back a little - that's perfect - if the breasthing and HR are starting to climb easy off a little and try and run a solid 2nd k and ideally your last one should be your fastest.
    It can take running 2 or 3 of these to get your ideal race pace as it's short enough that it's difficult to claw back a pace error.

Best of luck

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    3k can be deceptive - used to be my key race when i was younger.
    1st k is important that you stay in control, it's quite easy to blast through and then be on the ropes after that. If your running 80secs per lap and you feel like you are holding back a little - that's perfect - if the breasthing and HR are starting to climb easy off a little and try and run a solid 2nd k and ideally your last one should be your fastest.
    It can take running 2 or 3 of these to get your ideal race pace as it's short enough that it's difficult to claw back a pace error.

Best of luck

thanks BeepBeep, I was looking thru ure shorter distance race reports from a month or so ago, ya ran some solid times there ! I'm looking forward to it now, its gonna be a learning experience at the very least, tx for the advice. :)

...this morn !

7.3miles at 7:21min/mile, avhr:165. Back on with the white cap this morn, for a few laps of the farm. Ground was nice+soft,which made a nice change, but rain was pretty bad, just had to push-on thru it like.

Still I ran this at a steady enough pace, didn't hit the leaba till half three last nite (a lot of guinness + girl leading me astray), but this was a nice sobering run at 9am !

30miles for the wk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

...this morn !

7.3miles at 7:21min/mile, avhr:165. Back on with the white cap this morn, for a few laps of the farm. Ground was nice+soft,which made a nice change, but rain was pretty bad, just had to push-on thru it like.

Still I ran this at a steady enough pace, didn't hit the leaba till half three last nite (a lot of guinness + girl leading me astray), but this was a nice sobering run at 9am !

30miles for the wk.

Gettin out de door is the hardest part of a hangover run. Did 14m last Sunday after a heavy 1 :rolleyes:

best of luck with the 3k this evening....9:59 all the way

• Advertisement

Well, I was looking forward to this all day and had it in my head to do as many 80s laps as I could, that would be pushing the 10min mark. Warming up, there were a good few recognisable faces around the track, a good crowd from East Cork AC, St Finbarrs, ourselves Eagle AC and a few others.

There would be two 3k races, those aiming for under 10:30 and those over it, the sub 10:30 group going first. This was a tough decision, those lining up for the 1st race looked very serious runners, but I stuck by my plan and joined them*.

Toed the line, and gun went off, about 25 of us in total. Pace was hot from start+slotted in towards back. First 200m split was 38s. Ok, a bit fast so wanted to settle for next 400m, couple of lads took me + could see now I was 2nd last (club-mate behind me). Field was strung out now and through 600m with a 76s/lap ! That was just to keep somewhat close to Denis and Niamh from club! Needed to steady, so backed off+ could see gap opening, an 81s lap followed. First km in ~ 3:15.

The gap was opening again to those in front+was doing my best to hold it, but lap split of 85s, showed that I was struggling now and had 1600m to go still ! Next few laps were very hard and I don't have splits for them, only that I work it out here that they were in 85s to 88s range. I got lapped my race winner with 500m to go, he must have came in close to 9mins. Club-mate came on my shoulder with 300m to go and stayed with him for 100m before he pushed further again.

I finished in 10:34 in end, avhr: 187. Data shows that HR was 190-191 for last 0.5mile or so, so I was blowing even tho I had no pace, have never seen HR that high before !

The track is a completely different animal to road. The first km tonite was WAY too fast, and I couldn't back it up for rest of race. More even splits would be the way to go in an ideal world ! Denis ran 10:00 tonite and he's much faster than me over 5miles, that says a lot.

*Looking back at it now, I should have ran in the 2nd graded race+I would have had a more competitive race, the winner of the 2nd race ran 10:12. I think at best I might have ran 10:15 for this tonite.

Still, I'll do the mile race in a few weeks time on the track and will go all out for Churchtown South 5 as well next week. I need the races !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

10:34 is a good first attempt, I was 10:37 last year as I said it takes a few of them to get the pace right, plus you need some 3k specific sessions on the track - mile pace and faster - I find 10 x 300 a good sharpener.

Well done tno,sub 10 at your first attempt would have been a mighty achievement,but then again your used to those.
    It took guts to go with the fast group and only for the first k at 3:15 you might have been closer,but we all live and learn.

Good luck with the mile,whats the target there...sub 5 ?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    10:34 is a good first attempt, I was 10:37 last year as I said it takes a few of them to get the pace right, plus you need some 3k specific sessions on the track - mile pace and faster - I find 10 x 300 a good sharpener.

Tx BeepBeep, track is def different + I know last nite will stand to me for next time.
    Well done tno,sub 10 at your first attempt would have been a mighty achievement,but then again your used to those.
    It took guts to go with the fast group and only for the first k at 3:15 you might have been closer,but we all live and learn.

Good luck with the mile,whats the target there...sub 5 ?

Tx Sosa, the pace was too hot for me from start. I def feel I should have gone in 2nd race, I'll know better for next time.

Results are up here:

http://www.corkathletics.org/Cork%20Graded%20League%203%20of%205%20-%2012-07-2010.pdf

I see there was a couple of Waterford lads around as well !

*Looking back at it now, I should have ran in the 2nd graded race+I would have had a more competitive race, the winner of the 2nd race ran 10:12. I think at best I might have ran 10:15 for this tonite.

Well done....I think you were right to go in the fast race though....its tough getting lapped but if you had run 10:15 you wouldn't have got lapped. The first km killed you but I think you learned more from being in the fast race than being in the 'slower' one. Somethin simliar would probably have happened in the grade 2 race.....you'd have expected to be in the top 3 so would have hared off with whoever else hared off and run 3:15 for the first km and then been just as spent. Its a good lesson to learn for the mile race coming up that one or 2 sec deviation from the target pace per lap will kill you. I ran a good few of the East Cork 3k races 2 years ago and when I got the pacing wrong I ended up 30sec off the target...as beepbeep said..takes a while to get used to the distance. 10:34 is a great debut time at the distance though....according to McMillan you'd be a shoe in for a sub 3 marathon now with that time :D Results are up on the cork athletics website.

Well done....I think you were right to go in the fast race though....its tough getting lapped but if you had run 10:15 you wouldn't have got lapped. The first km killed you but I think you learned more from being in the fast race than being in the 'slower' one. Somethin simliar would probably have happened in the grade 2 race.....you'd have expected to be in the top 3 so would have hared off with whoever else hared off and run 3:15 for the first km and then been just as spent. Its a good lesson to learn for the mile race coming up that one or 2 sec deviation from the target pace per lap will kill you. I ran a good few of the East Cork 3k races 2 years ago and when I got the pacing wrong I ended up 30sec off the target...as beepbeep said..takes a while to get used to the distance. 10:34 is a great debut time at the distance though....according to McMillan you'd be a shoe in for a sub 3 marathon now with that time :D Results are up on the cork athletics website.

Great experience all the same tho, there was one class girl there, Orla Drumm, who ran 9:54. The graded series is a good intro to track racin, you could have done the pole vault last nite if ya wanted to :D I'd say the mile race will be just as competitive, looking forward to it !

P.S. I plugged 10:34 into McMillan too last nite, some laugh seeing 2:59 coming up ;)

You ran the first 600m on 9:30 3k pace. Things mightn't have been so bad if you'd run an even paced 3:15 first km but you actually did all the damage in the first 600m.

You ran the first 600m on 9:30 3k pace. Things mightn't have been so bad if you'd run an even paced 3:15 first km but you actually did all the damage in the first 600m.

Yep, I can see that from here now, but from when that gun went off, I wanted to try and stay on end of group for fear of being isolated, I should have trusted myself a bit more w.r.t pacing, thats experience tho. Splits show me going through 1600m in 5:26, but like u say, if that was more even paced, there miten't have been as much damage later!

Chatting to lad from club after, he ran his first track 3km in 10:34 bk in March and ran 10:01 last nite. As someone else said after, its easy to hide out on the roads somewhere around Ballycotton, but there's no place to hide on the track ! :eek:

The fella from waterford that finished 10:06 is in our club and a very good short distance runner.
    He ran around 21:30 recently for a 4m.....does all speed work,never did a marathon afaik.
    you would have to be running very well to beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great running for a first time short race. At least you had the balls to race with the faster group. Dont think I'd have done that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done, thats a funny distance to master id say! and the majority of your training has been for long distance, so its not a bad return... funny how mcmillan puts you at 2:59

Legs sore-ish, especially lower parts. One of those runs though which ya have to slog out I told myself, all part of the recovery. Did a bit on the foam roller as well afterwards. Easy run again tomorrow and back to track on Thurs.

Would be on for doing the 4miler in Youghal, depend how wknd shapes up.

4.3miles at 7:58min/mile, avhr: 147.

Yesterday was 0miles, did not sleep Tues nite at all for some reason, and was just even more wrecked after work, so would have been running tired. Gave it a skip.

Good decision as I was in good form for the track session tonite. Very wet + track saturated but we got in 3*(4*200m). 200m target of 35s with 35s recovery.5mins recovery between sets. Good crack in the group, would not have done this if I was on my own, wrecked for last couple of 200's, but it felt easier than two weeks ago, when we could only manage two sets.

200 splits done in [35, 36, 35, 35], [35,35,36,35], [33,36,35,35]
    5.5miles total for session.

Had a half day, so got 5miles in at farm after lunch, was just me and the rabbits out there, great stuff ! av-pace: 7:40min/mile, avhr:155.

finished off run with 4*100m strides after.

Feet up now for rest of afternoon + watching golf.

The long runs with club are a bit scattered at moment, with gang being on hols and races all over shop. Decided to head to track this morn for a tempo session, its been a while since I did one so wanted to see how things were.

Aim was for 3*2k targetting 96s/lap in Lane 3 (8:00/2km), with 2min recoveries. 2mile warm-up, 2mile warm-down.

96s/lap was giving nice 200m splits of 48s, so was able to keep a steady pace going. Ended up with splits of 7:55, 7:53, 7:52 with avhr splits of : 172,178,178. Happy with session, was tough, but tempo's always are and this was at the harder end of my tempo pace.

Won't race in Youghal tomorrow, race #3 in Ballycotton Series is next Thurs, so week will be shaped for that.

Up the Déise !

Dan the Man shoots down the rebels :D

Up the Déise !

Dan the Man shoots down the rebels :D

Fair play to ye is all I can say!

Took a fair amount of Guinness to numb the pain of defeat ;)

5.8miles on grass this evening (~8min/mile, avhr:152). Bit tired for it as wknd was hectic and work was draining today ! Couple of club-mates running around so was glad of company.

The mileage is averaging 30miles/wk at moment, lowest its been in a while, but happy with sessions i'm getting in and races i'm doing as well, will pick it up again once August comes.

Track tomorrow.

5.5miles which included 5*50m sprints plus 4*400m all-out with full recoveries between intervals.

400's done in Lane 3 in [68,68,67,68]. Was pushing harder this time and was wrecked after, legs were wobbly out + felt sick. Mile race next week at Mardyke and this was the last of the 400's according to coach, not sure but could be moving upto either 600's /800's in couple wks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

5.5miles which included 5*50m sprints plus 4*400m all-out with full recoveries between intervals.

400's done in Lane 3 in [68,68,67,68]. Was pushing harder this time and was wrecked after, legs were wobbly out + felt sick. Mile race next week at Mardyke and this was the last of the 400's according to coach, not sure but could be moving upto either 600's /800's in couple wks.

ah, wobbly legs & feeling sick, I remember with fondness that feeling after 400's :rolleyes: Your doing some great work there tno, what kind of time are you hoping for at the Mardyke?

Advertisement