Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Speedy44 wrote: »
    ah, wobbly legs & feeling sick, I remember with fondness that feeling after 400's :rolleyes: Your doing some great work there tno, what kind of time are you hoping for at the Mardyke?

Tx speedy. The faster stuff on track is all new to me, but I'm giving it a go anyway, some change from marathon training ! :rolleyes:

75s/lap would be in/around 5mins mark, but as I found in the 3k, ya can get burnt big-time in it. Something in 5:00->5:15 will fall out hopefully!
    there's another mile race a wk l8r if I want to have another go if I make a mess of this one! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

tisnotover wrote: »
    Tx speedy. The faster stuff on track is all new to me, but I'm giving it a go anyway, some change from marathon training ! :rolleyes:

75s/lap would be in/around 5mins mark, but as I found in the 3k, ya can get burnt big-time in it. Something in 5:00->5:15 will fall out hopefully!
    there's another mile race a wk l8r if I want to have another go if I make a mess of this one! ;)

Sounds like a grueller training at those short fast paces! Do you find the training more difficult on the short stuff or would marathon training be the tougher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Last year I had 3 attempts at a sub 5, each time thinking I'd nail it ! In the spring I ran 5:08, summer 5:04 and 10 days before Dublin 5:00:23 :mad:

There was another 'magic mile' (as they call it in these parts) last week but unfortunately I was sick for it. I did run 4:43:17 for the 1500m about a month ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next time.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Sounds like a grueller training at those short fast paces! Do you find the training more difficult on the short stuff or would marathon training be the tougher?

Speaking from my own personal experience smmorre (sorry to steal your stage tno:D) I think they each present different challanges and levels of 'toughness'. The shorter track stuff leaves me feeling like my lungs are going to burst out of my chest, but its amazing the more of these type of sessions I do, the shorted recovery I need to take. The long stuff is more of a mental challange and harder on the legs I think.

smmoore79 wrote: »

The high mileage and a week where you do a 20mile run with maybe a long PMP run two days before it, I found to be much more tiring. The sessions are much shorter in duration here, even though the speed is fast. I also find the recovery to be better after the shorter stuff, your not as tired going into the next day's training ! To be honest, I'm glad of the break from high mileage training !
    Last year I had 3 attempts at a sub 5, each time thinking I'd nail it ! In the spring I ran 5:08, summer 5:04 and 10 days before Dublin 5:00:23 :mad:

There was another 'magic mile' (as they call it in these parts) last week but unfortunately I was sick for it. I did run 4:43:17 for the 1500m about a month ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next time.

Sub-5 is some land-mark and as u've seen, I'd say it would take a good few races to get fit at the distance and to have the optimum race in terms of pacing, etc.Best of luck next time !!

• Advertisement

Churchtown South in 29:52 tonite. Very happy,as it's my 2nd time under 30min Mark and first time in one of the Ballycotton series. Finished 40th overall,will add splits+report tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Churchtown South in 29:52 tonite. Very happy,as it's my 2nd time under 30min Mark and first time in one of the Ballycotton series. Finished 40th overall,will add splits+report tomorrow.

well done, good time!

im thinking of entering the ballycotton 5, do you know what that course is like? ill be trying to go sub30 there, but i should prob wait until closer to the race to make a call on that one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great stuff tno. you certainly know how to dip under a goal time you set yourself on race day!

Didn't talk too much about this race on the log leading into last nite, and had rested Wednesday, but driving down last nite, I felt rested and had no niggles. On a spreadsheet that I have here, I had marked a time of 30:00 to 30:15 for this race, and to push for sub 30 if I could do it.

Churchtown is a tough enough course, its flat enough, but it does have a couple of long drags in it. Its a two lap course through village and there's no fear of the course being measured short down here! (the Ballycotton Running boys know how to setup a good race).

Met up with a few club-mates and did a lap of the course as warm-up, usual talk of race targets, etc. Positioned myself about 4 rows bk from front, its a very tight course, and you can get "boxed in" for 1/2 mile if ure not cute.

Mile splits (hr):
    5:50 (175)
    5:58 (184)
    6:13 (185)
    5:56 (185)
    5:53 (186)

giving 29:52 and avhr 183, 40th place overall out of >450 runners.

Each of the mile splits tells a story I guess so:

Mile 1:

Got off to an ok start, bit of jostling to get position, main focus was to see where I was w.r.t club-mates (thankfully all wearing singlets). Through 0.5mile with leading ladies group, settled a bit, and pushed on past them. I could have stayed tucked in here, but felt I needed a 5:50 split to have something in bag for drags coming. Leaving that group, I was now between two groups, everyone single file down the country road. Mile 1 in 5:50.

Mile 2:

Hold position and hold pace was in my head, I could see 3 club-mates ahead of me, John, Paul and Pat. Pat would take a while to catch, I was expecting him to fade, I wasn't sure about the other two, but for this mile it was all about holding the gap and keeping even effort through the rises in the road. Mile 2 in 5:58

Mile 3:

Mile 3 in 6:13, the first of the drags bk into the village, took more out of me than I thought, watch showed 6:25 pace at one point, I wasn't losing ground to club-mates ahead, but a Leevale AC lad came on my shoulder at one point and made me wake up a bit. Tucked in behind him as he looked like he meaned business. Made back up some time on the flatter section, but this was my worst split of the race, maybe I took it too easy on the drag into the village.

Mile 4:

Watch was showing that 30mins was on, legs felt fine, breathing was comfortable, f-it I said < 12mins running. Was on shoulder of Leevale lad now and came up to Pat. It took me 3.3miles to catch him tonite, but it was surgical when I did pass him, no exchange, just pushing on (he thanked me for that after!). Pace was about 5:55 at that point, but Leevale guy opened a bit of a gap on me+was pulling away. That was fine, I still had John and Paul ahead of me and they were closer now. A good split here of 5:56, but I wasn't sure if it'd be enough, we had to go through the harder part of the course+drags into village again.

Mile 5:

Pushing harder now, but it was controlled, the gap was still the same though for the first half mile, they were pushing too. Heard some heavy breathing coming up behind me+ was wondering who it was, ddin;t have to look bk tho as she came up on my shoulder and was on a mission (turned out to be Emma Murphy from St.Finbarrs). She was first lady and most have broken from their group, but she was also after sub-30 I reckoned. I shouted "ure flying, keep it up" at her, then realised I could hitch a ride here, so did my best to keep with her. We were within 400m of finish now, she still ahead of me, I could see if I could get past her, I'd catch Paul as well. Some sprint to the finish I can tell ya, I passed Paul 100m out, and two others and just passed Emma on the line, we both ended up getting same time. Great finish to a race!

I worked hard tonite and didn't switch off, tho it took a couple of runners coming up on my shoulder to ensure that ! It also helped having other runners to focus on.

Its not a PB over 5 miles (29:39 earlier thus yr), but I reckon its worth-more, going sub-30 for me on one of the Ballycotton 5mile courses is a big deal, hence the detailed race report ! :D

seanynova wrote: »
    well done, good time!

im thinking of entering the ballycotton 5, do you know what that course is like? ill be trying to go sub30 there, but i should prob wait until closer to the race to make a call on that one :confused:

Tx seany, I posted some info about this on Sosa's log, ya can look it up there? Or else look up August 2009 on the Running in Cork website for route and profile ! Mite see ya down there !

• Advertisement

Tx seany, I posted some info about this on Sosa's log, ya can look it up there? Or else look up August 2009 on the Running in Cork website for route and profile ! Mite see ya down there !

cheers, will have a look at that, i prob shouldnt race it but i might give it a go as its mid week and shouldnt disrupt training much...
    well done again yesterday, good report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Good stuff. I think its a tougher course than Ballycotton 5. Hopefully I'll be down for Ballycotton 5.....should be a good race with yourself and Sosa (and VR??). 4 weeks to get back up to speed.....

Must have been 45 approx under the 30 mark? The 5 mile series is getting very competitive. John Cashman had a piece in the echo bemoaning the drop in standards even though the numbers are increasing but I think this years Ballycotton 5 will be the most competitve in years...I expect >50 to be under the 30 mark. Great atmosphere for a PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running and great report. Really enjoyed reading it. You're really pushing on after Cork. They do say that 6-8 weeks after your marathon you're in great form for running some shorter distances races, like 5k-10k, as you still have the endurance, the rest/recovery, and can pick up some speed. Keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great run and report tno.

Interesting that we both had the same strategy of hanging on to the leading ladies, though you did a better job of it than me.:D

Splits were very good too, last 2 same as the first 2.

+1 on what Krusty said about post marathon races - I think the benefits of rest & recovery, with less mileage but good quality training, are really noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great racing tno - can see you were working hard with that 185+ HR.
    Whats next - do you still need to slay your 3k demon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I have my mind made up tno...i am going to ballycotton for the 5m.

well done on the sub 30...once you go under it,you dont want to go over it again...down the way you want to be going...but it gets tougher.

great stuff tno. you certainly know how to dip under a goal time you set yourself on race day!

I know sure, 8s last nite, and it was v.similar in cork! Maybe I should set the bar-higher ;)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Good stuff. I think its a tougher course than Ballycotton 5. Hopefully I'll be down for Ballycotton 5.....should be a good race with yourself and Sosa (and VR??). 4 weeks to get back up to speed.....

Must have been 45 approx under the 30 mark? The 5 mile series is getting very competitive. John Cashman had a piece in the echo bemoaning the drop in standards even though the numbers are increasing but I think this years Ballycotton 5 will be the most competitve in years...I expect >50 to be under the 30 mark. Great atmosphere for a PB.

Cheers gringo, yep 45 dipped under it last nite, and it is very competitive down there, which does help chasing PB's, 5 from club last nite, improved on their 5mile time. I'm watching over my shoulder and others are watching over theirs and thats just within our club! I prefer Ballycotton as well and looking forward to 4wks time, def get your ass down there! ;)

http://sites.google.com/site/runninginireland/churchtown_south_5m?pli=1

The drop in standards thing comes up time-to-time usually with Ballycotton 10 statistics, but as you know it takes a few yrs to get into it, it took me 3yrs running, before going sub-30, ok, I really have been training structurally for the last year properly.
    Great running and great report. Really enjoyed reading it. You're really pushing on after Cork. They do say that 6-8 weeks after your marathon you're in great form for running some shorter distances races, like 5k-10k, as you still have the endurance, the rest/recovery, and can pick up some speed. Keep it up!

Tx Krusty. It has def taken me 6-8 wks, I tried to come back a bit too soon in a 5mile 4 wks ago and blew up.Since then v.happy to be doing shorter speed-work, will get back on the horse of doing longer runs at wknds in August, endurance from marathon will only carry me so far!
    aero2k wrote: »
    Great run and report tno.

Interesting that we both had the same strategy of hanging on to the leading ladies, though you did a better job of it than me.:D

Splits were very good too, last 2 same as the first 2.

+1 on what Krusty said about post marathon races - I think the benefits of rest & recovery, with less mileage but good quality training, are really noticeable.

Very hard to pass those ladies sometimes+also very hard to leave safety of a group ! ;) Must find a faster paced group to "hang-on" to next time!
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great racing tno - can see you were working hard with that 185+ HR.
    Whats next - do you still need to slay your 3k demon?

I've a track mile race next Tuesday, so gonna give it a right go, i've done a lot of shorter work on track, so would be specific to mile-race. the 3k will have to wait! the nite after there's a 5k down here, mite give it a go, will depend on how legs are after tues.
    Sosa wrote: »

well done on the sub 30...once you go under it,you dont want to go over it again...down the way you want to be going...but it gets tougher.

Great stuff sosa, you def should come down, it'll be a very competitive race this yr, its the last real 5mile race around these parts, one of last of evening races too. I know what ure saying about the sub-30, I have last nite as a benchmark again for the next race, onwards and upwards.

Fri: 3.6miles recovery run, easy pace, right achilles a touch sore.

Sat: 8.6miles on grass at 7:37min/mile average. Achilles fine today, it was the rest of body that was shook, didn't get in till 4am last nite, and was sweating buckets at farm today. Couple of club-mates were running around at easy pace so joined them for a lap or two, before picking up pace and making it a bit of a progression run. A good run to sweat the excess alcohol out !

4.4miles at 7:56min/mile, avhr: 150.
    Savage warm out, not a puff of wind, should have worn a singlet...

Graded Mile Race at Mardyke track tomorrow nite, will be interesting!

• Advertisement

Graded Mile Race at Mardyke track tomorrow nite, will be interesting!

What are you hoping for in the mile?

What are you hoping for in the mile?

Very hard to know ! 5:05, 5:10 ? Just want to have a better race than the 3k I ran couple wks ago. I switched off in the middle part of the 3k, its 4 laps tomorrow, and will need to watch what we go through the first 200m and 400m in. Have done a few week's of fast 400's and some 200's, so would hope they'd stand to me.

Was just heading off on warm-up, turning to put the gps on and found out my 405 was dead, wasn't too bothered tho with it being a mile race like. Did about 2miles with club, before registering+stretches.

There were to be 3 mile races tonite, the 2nd group going in 4:50 to 5:30 range, perfect I said and slotted in there. Watched the first race who were clipping along nicely while I did a few strides.

Having no watch, prob helped me relax even more, and thought more about holding position on the track than splits itself.

Got off to a bad start position wise, and was a few places from back, but didn't panic+waited till d str8, before moving out and slotting up a few places before next bend, did the same in the next 200m, heard a split of 74s as we went thru 400m.

Were forming single file at this stage, so slotted in on inside. I was on the heels of a couple of lads and was all about holding that gap. Don't have next few 400m splits unfortunately, but I was comfortable thru 800m.

Through the 1000m, a gap started to open by couple of lads in front, which I was struggling to close down. Maybe I should have worked a bit harder to close gap, but I felt on the limit. We still had a lap and a half to go. I did not get passed in last 600m, but I never closed the gap on lads in front, but I did hold it. The last 400m was tough, but did have something for last 200m and put in a good finish.

Results show me at 5:09, so sub 5:10 for the mile. Very happy with result, and much better experience than my last track race.

There was a medley type relay later on, which I did the 200m in, no idea of split, but I did give it my all, we finished 3rd I think (out of 6) ;)

All in all a good nite, the 5:09 is a good benchmark now and the experience will help for next time I tackle it. Next time we'll move closer to the 5:00 mark ;)

Well done sounds like you got the pacing just right - I'll have to wait until next season to top that ;).

Well done tno...5:09 is very good,i am mad to race a mile

Well done sounds like you got the pacing just right - I'll have to wait until next season to top that ;).

Was def in right group/race tonite, and felt more like a race than the 3k last time!
    McMilllan would put me on 10:13 for 3k with that time, shows that if I had pacing right last time, I might have got 10:15 or so.

Oh, I see I pipped ya by a second, amazing the difference 1/2 s / lap makes over the shorter stuff, completely alien to 5mile racing! :D
    Sosa wrote: »
    Well done tno...5:09 is very good,i am mad to race a mile

Saw couple of waterford lads on our turf Sosa, def do a mile race if ya see one coming up, its a good benchmark. Track racing is a different animal, big respect for the likes of ecoli and cfitz here now!

good going on the miler, good pacing...and if the gap hadnt opened up in front you might have taken another second or two off that...the track sessions are paying off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Great stuff...would love to race a mile sometime. Very impressed with the pacing without the Garmin aswell. Aero2k has me thinking of racing without the garmin but my need to collect the stats overrides that.....I might change the sport on it to 'Other' and have the screens setup on that sport to give me no feedback so that I could wear it but it would be of no use during the race??

5:09 for a mile is fast...i think I've only ever hit that pace for 10-20sec periods in strides or possibly in the last 200m sprint of a race. All those 400m reps paying off then. 5 mile distance will start to feel like long distance to you now....

nice job tno, as you said, you now have the benchmark. Pity that they didn't have the splits for the 800 & 1200, I always find that they help a lot, especially on the all important 3rd lap where you tend to start hurting and have the potential to lose a few seconds.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Great stuff...would love to race a mile sometime. Very impressed with the pacing without the Garmin aswell. Aero2k has me thinking of racing without the garmin but my need to collect the stats overrides that.....I might change the sport on it to 'Other' and have the screens setup on that sport to give me no feedback so that I could wear it but it would be of no use during the race??

5:09 for a mile is fast...i think I've only ever hit that pace for 10-20sec periods in strides or possibly in the last 200m sprint of a race. All those 400m reps paying off then. 5 mile distance will start to feel like long distance to you now....

Thanks Gringo. I've only ever ran a race without a watch once before, it was the Togher 5k yrs ago, and I ran by feel in it and ran a good PB at the time, maybe we should do it more often, but like you, I'm addicted to the garmin and looking at data after!! You could turn the watch-face away from ya as well ?

The 400 reps def have paid off+have brought speed bk into legs. If I don't get bk out on my longer runs soon tho, the 5mile will seem like a marathon ;)
    nice job tno, as you said, you now have the benchmark. Pity that they didn't have the splits for the 800 & 1200, I always find that they help a lot, especially on the all important 3rd lap where you tend to start hurting and have the potential to lose a few seconds.

Thanks speedy, they had the splits alrite, but I cannot recall what they were. I know I def had a slower 3rd lap, and if I had the 200m split on it, then I mite have worked harder, just because I was holding the gap to those in front is fine in one sense, but they were prob fading too !

Advertisement