Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Some targets that I have in mind from here to rest of year. The most aggressive is prob the half target but if I get the right tempo training in, I'll do it. Will be two attempts, the cork half and waterford half in December.

5k < 17:40 (Target: Togher 5k)
    5mile < 29:15 (Target: Ballycotton)
    1/2 marathon: 1:20/1:21 (waterford half most likely)

Will also prob do cross-country with club this yr for first time since I was in school !! Looks like we'll have a handy enough team, so will be mixing it up with East Cork AC lads again (getting lapped more likely!)

There is no marathon on horizon, even though I feel I could train for 2:55 now. I want to get the shorter distance times down a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Some targets that I have in mind from here to rest of year. The most aggressive is prob the half target but if I get the right tempo training in, I'll do it. Will be two attempts, the cork half and waterford half in December.

Will also prob do cross-country with club this yr for first time since I was in school !! Looks like we'll have a handy enough team, so will be mixing it up with East Cork AC lads again (getting lapped more likely!)

There is no marathon on horizon, even though I feel I could train for 2:55 now. I want to get the shorter distance times down a bit more.

Good targets...you might revise the 5 mile time in a few weeks time though, with 4 more weeks solid training i'd think you've a good shot for 28:59....you should be able to hold 5:45 pace on Ballycotton course.

1:20/1:21 in the half in cork might be tough coming off the back of a lot of short distance races and faster interval training, not suited to half marathon running, but certainly doable in Waterford which would set you up nicely for a sub 60 in mallow (if its not snowing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great targets and congrats on the 5'09 from last night.

sub 5 in no time......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

similar to what I have in mind tno.

Mile - Sub 5 (Graded meet in Sept/Oct)
    5k - Sub 17:30 (Late sept)
    10K - Sub 37, 2 cracks at it, 1st on Aug 14th, nxt on Sept 26th
    1/2 - Sub 82, again 2 attempts, Galway City on Aug 29th & Adidas on Sept 18th
    Marathon - Sub 3 @ DCM

Speedy44 wrote: »

Marathon - Sub 3 @ DCM

Good stuff Speedy, its good to set out targets like that and helps focus the hard days training sometimes.

The sub-37 will be no prob to ya I reckon as will the sub-3. Be interesting to see how the halves go for us, they're a tricky animal, tempo tempo tempo !?1

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 5.3miles recovery at farm. av-pace 8:25min/mile, avhr: 140. finished up at work yest and will start new job on Aug 9th. Heading for pints now tonite.

Today: Tempo run at farm. Broke in my hyperspeeds 4. Nice shoe, on warm-up, found myself clipping along at 7min/mile, but put brakes on as soon as I saw that.

6.75miles total with 3*1.35miles at 6:09min/mile pace average.
    1.35mile splits: 8:15, 8:21, 8:18. Will build this upto 3*2mile over next while. Happy with pace though and very happy with new racing shoe. Savage warm-out doing this, glad I brought the singlet with me !!

11miles this morning on grass. First 6miles I ran with Michael from club, last 5 on my own. Clipped along last 5miles at 6:40min/mile, giving about 7:30min/mile average overall. I've a definite spring in my step at moment, legs are feeling fine with no niggles, looking forward to next few wks training.

Thats my longest run in a while, feel I need to get back on hills though, the Cork half is about 5 wks away. there's two 5k races next wk, will do one of them, either the Novartis 5k or the Shanagarry 5k. It'll be my first 5k this year and will target sub-18 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I've a definite spring in my step at moment, legs are feeling fine with no niggles

Hmmm ..... interesting

are you doing the cork half ?

Sosa wrote: »
    Hmmm ..... interesting

are you doing the cork half ?

Will def do Cork Half,it's a tricky little course,but will be a good field in it,whatever time ure after,will def do Waterford half l8r in year as well,will be targeting a fast time there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Marathon - Sub 3 @ DCM

Sounds like alot of racing too me. Depends how much you want to break 3 i suppose in dublin. I would drop one of the halfs.

• Advertisement

Sounds like alot of racing too me. Depends how much you want to break 3 i suppose in dublin. I would drop one of the halfs.

Last year I didn't do any half's, or 10milers for that matter. Think it went against me when it came to the DCM. The plan is to use the Galway 1/2 as a pacing test and then go for a decent time at Adidas. Hopefully this way I will get all my mistakes out of the way before the marathon.
    The other races are short enough that they can just be used as sharpeners. At least thats the plan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

whats the cork half like? big 1-2mile hill in it ya?

4.4miles at 7:16min/mile, avhr:153. Finished off run with 4*hill repeats. Feet up now watching finish to golf, come on Harrington ;)

seanynova wrote: »
    whats the cork half like? big 1-2mile hill in it ya?

Its an out and back type course, with about a 2mile climb in it from 6th mile, sharp downhill after that (suffered stitch last yr), it rolls flat downhill to finish then with only a few drags about 12th mile mark.

5.0miles steady on grass, 7:27min/mile. Munster team were training, made sure I strided out a bit going past em ;)

Track tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

5.0miles steady on grass, 7:27min/mile. Munster team were training, made sure I strided out a bit going past em ;)

Track tomorrow.

I did some similar strides last month, though they were past a girls camogie team in the Phoenix park:)

2.5mile warm-up.
    Then 3*50m sprints
    Then 200m,400m,600m,400m,200m pyramid, sprints were all out, with full recoveries.
    1.0mile warm-down
    4.75 miles total.

Splits [32, 1:08, 1:49, 1:12, 29], all in Lane 3.

Nice group of us at it tonite. Didn't go all-out for the 50's but grew into them.

First 200m was ran hard, maybe a touch too hard given what was following. 400m was ok, legs like jelly after, then the 600m, took first 200m steady before pushing for next 400m, spent after it. The 1:12 400m was a tad slow, would have hoped to do it in 1:10, got caught behind two of lads and only chance to go around them was on bend, but didn't feel I had it in me. Very happy with last 200m split, thats a PB i'd say, lad was on my shoulder for last 80m of it, def a photo-finish. Good session.

2.5mile warm-up.
    Then 3*50m sprints
    Then 200m,400m,600m,400m,200m pyramid, sprints were all out, with full recoveries.
    1.0mile warm-down
    4.75 miles total.

Splits [32, 1:08, 1:49, 1:12, 29], all in Lane 3.

Nice group of us at it tonite. Didn't go all-out for the 50's but grew into them.

First 200m was ran hard, maybe a touch too hard given what was following. 400m was ok, legs like jelly after, then the 600m, took first 200m steady before pushing for next 400m, spent after it. The 1:12 400m was a tad slow, would have hoped to do it in 1:10, got caught behind two of lads and only chance to go around them was on bend, but didn't feel I had it in me. Very happy with last 200m split, thats a PB i'd say, lad was on my shoulder for last 80m of it, def a photo-finish. Good session.

good going tno. When you say you did the sessions in Lane 3, did you allow for the stagger as well or just start from scratch?

good going tno. When you say you did the sessions in Lane 3, did you allow for the stagger as well or just start from scratch?

Yeah, we'd all start from the same point (non-staggered like). Running in Lane-3 is about 15m longer than running in Lane 1 (thats about 3s/lap).

i take it you're doing shanagarry rather than novartis? best of luck...shanagarrys a fast course

• Advertisement

3.0miles on grass earlier at 7:30min/mile + 4*100m strides after.
    Just in from a walk with house-mate as well, wrecked now.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    i take it you're doing shanagarry rather than novartis? best of luck...shanagarrys a fast course

Yep, opting for Shanagarry, though I ran well in Novartis last year. There'll be maybe 100 in Shan, front of field will be spread out, will be pushing sub-18 pace, plan is to go out hard and to hold it steady for 2nd mile. Bit of a drag in last mile from what I remember, should be interesting.

This is a very local race, run as part of the festival coming up over the weekend. I ran 18:25 on same course at Christmas in really cold conditions. Tonight I was after sub-18. A 2mile warm-up and a few strides before lining up at start.

Maybe 80 in it, quick look round showed a few East Cork lads, same lads who left me for dead in the track 3k a few wks ago! Off we went and quickly found myself in top 10, half mile in, I was in 8th, watch showing 5:40 pace. Made a few passes then as I was trying to hold a gap to Denis from East Cork AC and through first mile in 6th position. Denis was running with two others, but in my head it was all about holding the gap for as long as I could, as I expected him to pull away from me.

Found the 2nd mile tough,I was on my own with no-one to work with, I did lose bit of time here and sure enough a gap opened up to those in front. One of east cork lads, David, seemed to be dropped by other two at this stage, so saw him as a target for me. Through mile 2 with 5:51 split.

Not long to go now I thought, pace picked up by me and felt I was starting to close on lad in front. I did not look at the Garmin till the finish line, it was all bout trying to catch-up, there's a few drags in the 3rd mile, but I was moving well. Passed through 3rd mile strong, and was very close to catching him, but he found something else when he saw me coming up behind him!

17:51 I clocked it at and 6th position, a nice PB, but I reckon I can get a few more seconds off it. Maybe I should have gone with Denis at start, I'll have to some day!

Mile splits: 5:43,5:51,5:45, 0:31
    Av-hr: 183
    6.1 miles total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done tno...good time yet again.
    I am looking forward to ballycotton more and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I see you are going stronger than ever. Nice race there tno, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice steady running there - well done.

Sosa wrote: »
    well done tno...good time yet again.
    I am looking forward to ballycotton more and more

+1

Tx lads, happy out with result, I will aim for 17:40 in the Togher 5k next month, which should be a more competitive race.

One of the best value races in the country, 3euros like for a 5k !!

Ballycotton won't be long coming now lads ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great time tno, and a great finish position. Is it your highest placing ever?

• Advertisement

Great time tno, and a great finish position. Is it your highest placing ever?

Tx Krusty, just checked spreadsheet there, it would be my highest position which is nice, I'll take that, even with small field ;)

Advertisement