Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

11.5miles at 7:55min/mile, avhr:149.

This was the B+Q, Rafeen Hill route with a few lads from Eagle AC this morning. I found this tough this morning, I was fine till 6 miles in. A mile later and we were on the 2mile uphill, which was attacked of course by a few, with John taking the "king of the mountains" prize ;) Thats the 2nd time he's done that now, but is also a sign of his form as he is setting loads of PB's lately.

The tired legs I have now, show that I need to bring the long run back into the weekly schedule again. For shorter distances I've been getting away with it in someways, but for the half I'll get found out if I don't step up.

5.0miles at 7:15min/mile on grass with 6*100m strides after.

Starting new job tomorrow, running helps take the edge off sometimes ;)

Hope to make an 800m track race tomorrow evening, will target < 2:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck in the new job tno...hopefully you will be up to your eyes the week of ballycotton ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Best of luck in the new job tno...hopefully you will be up to your eyes the week of ballycotton ;)

+1 you need to suss out the lunchtime running...it'll take your running to the next level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    +1 you need to suss out the lunchtime running...it'll take your running to the next level

I prefer to eat lunch at lunch time lads...dont know how ye do it.

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    I prefer to eat lunch at lunch time lads...dont know how ye do it.

I'm a fast eater. I take a full hour for lunch as I work 10-12 hours a day so good to get a break in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tisnotover wrote: »
    5.0miles at 7:15min/mile on grass with 6*100m strides after.

Starting new job tomorrow, running helps take the edge off sometimes ;)

Hope to make an 800m track race tomorrow evening, will target < 2:20.

good luck with the 800m tno (and the new job). Remember to watch your pace over the first 400m, even if you go out in 67-68 you could find your legs turning to jelly in the last couple of 100m.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    good luck with the 800m tno (and the new job). Remember to watch your pace over the first 400m, even if you go out in 67-68 you could find your legs turning to jelly in the last couple of 100m.

Tx Speedy, I imagine the last 400m will be tough going, main thing will be trying to hold position and pace, will be a good experience tho !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hope to make an 800m track race tomorrow evening, will target < 2:18.

Fixed that for ya!

Tx Speedy, I imagine the last 400m will be tough going, main thing will be trying to hold position and pace, will be a good experience tho !

well, it will definitely be an experience, whether it will be a good one or not is up to you :D

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya!

Mind-reader ;)
    well, it will definitely be an experience, whether it will be a good one or not is up to you :D

def a good experience, race report below :)

Busy day today, with starting new job and all, but got out in grand time to track at CIT. Main event tonite was 800m track race, and a lot of bodies were warmin-up around track. Did 3miles with John, he's back in marathon training, Dublin, I'm def not, even tho, he keeps twisting my arm !

There would be 3 races, those for <2:10, < 2:30 and everyone else. Slotted into second group, good few club-mates, running in it as well.
    Watched the first race go, those lads were flying, heard 400m split of 61s I think !

Our turn came, and I was nervous out, same expression on most people to be honest. Main thing was to get a good start, unlike the mile race last time out. Off went the gun, and I took up a good position on inside of track and just above mid-pack. Pace was hot from start, and was happy to sit there, no looking at the watch tonite, if I tried to I'd say I'd end up on the deck !

Through 300m, and I switched out to Lane2, to get past a couple, before slotting in again before the next bend. The first 500m felt fine, but now it was starting to hurt. I think I heard 68s through 400m.
    Coming through 600m I had taken a couple of more, but I wouldn't catch anyone else, I hadn;t a clue of pace, but jasus I gave it everything to the end. Very hard to stay relaxed when legs are begging ya to stop, but the line did come. I def got 2:18, maybe just under it, results should be out tomorrow, and delighted.

Some interesting reading when I plug 2:18 into McMillan and those would be some targets of mine.

Warming down, I got drafted into a 4*200m relay, the last thing I wanted, but I did ok nonetheless and we finished 2nd.

Thats the last of the track racing for a bit now i'd say, but I've really enjoyed it and have gotten better at racing on the track. the 3k was disappointing, but in perspective it was my first outing, running it in couple of wks time, I'd be more confident and would def pace it better. Talks of cross-country are now on the horizon...we carry on :)

5.5miles total.

congrats tno. Looks like you paced it just right while at the same time leaving it all out there.

Good going. A very good first track season.... Are the graded meets getting a good attendance? They're a great addition to the cork running scene, hopefully they'll be a permanent fixture

Good going. A very good first track season.... Are the graded meets getting a good attendance? They're a great addition to the cork running scene, hopefully they'll be a permanent fixture

Tx Gringo, very good attendance in fairness, a link to the results from previous races is below:

http://www.corkathletics.org/

They've even started giving out certificates now of your results which is nice, will def be a permanent fixture I hope, great way of getting experience of track racing. Only costed 2euro's each nite, which is good value, and inter-club racing is also a good experience.

Nice one - hills and mud for the foreseeable future?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice one - hills and mud for the foreseeable future?

2:18.2 according to results, I'll take that...sub 2:15 next yr !

Cross-country training will start in a few weeks, i've a couple of races coming up in meantime, the main one being Ballycotton 5.

I've very bad memories of doing some cross-country when I was in school, but like the track racing I want to have a go off it.

2:18.2 according to results, I'll take that...sub 2:15 next yr !

Cross-country training will start in a few weeks, i've a couple of races coming up in meantime, the main one being Ballycotton 5.

I've very bad memories of doing some cross-country when I was in school, but like the track racing I want to have a go off it.

I enjoy XC - it's racing people rather than the clock - so brings out everyone's competitive nature.

You need to edit your post on the 'best of 2010' thread...you've let beepbeep slip in there ahead of you

You need to edit your post on the 'best of 2010' thread...you've let beepbeep slip in there ahead of you

corrected, couldn't be having the old-man ahead of me ;)

• Advertisement

Was not sure what type of session to do this evening, body tired and mentally tired from sitting in a meeting room all day, but headed to the track nonetheless.

Wanted to try and up the distance a bit, so targetted 5*km repeats at 5:40min/mile pace, thats 85s/lap and as I was in Lane 3, 88s/lap or 3:40min/km. Was running this on my own as well, which didn't help, as I had to slog it out for the middle repeats

6.75miles total with 5*km in lane 3 in:
    [3:33,3:37,3:35,3:36,3:37]
    laphr: [166, 170, 171, 173, 174]
    av hr: 171, int: 3:36

A tough session, and had thoughts of stopping afer three, but kept going, the first one was way too fast. think its more that I've been doing the shorter stuff lately+the instinct is to go out hard on the track.

also did a 3.5mile recovery run yesterday, legs were sore, but needed something to loosen them out. I'm looking forward to rest day tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Was not sure what type of session to do this evening, body tired and mentally tired from sitting in a meeting room all day, but headed to the track nonetheless.

Wanted to try and up the distance a bit, so targetted 5*km repeats at 5:40min/mile pace, thats 85s/lap and as I was in Lane 3, 88s/lap or 3:40min/km. Was running this on my own as well, which didn't help, as I had to slog it out for the middle repeats

A tough session, and had thoughts of stopping afer three, but kept going, the first one was way too fast. think its more that I've been doing the shorter stuff lately+the instinct is to go out hard on the track.

also did a 3.5mile recovery run yesterday, legs were sore, but needed something to loosen them out. I'm looking forward to rest day tomorrow! :rolleyes:

another good session tno. I've been checking out some of your times this year and it looks like we're pretty similar. I'm just hoping that means that I can also go sub 3 like you did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

very good session TNO, is that the CIT track? disaster with having to run in lane 3, but you seam to have it worked out, 3sec extra a lap eh...how long of rest did you take?
    i did those a few weeks ago, think i managed 3:31-3:36 and 3mins recovery, but was in lane 1!!, fair play to ya lad...

another good session tno. I've been checking out some of your times this year and it looks like we're pretty similar. I'm just hoping that means that I can also go sub 3 like you did :D

I've noticed that too, we've very similar times, the sub-3 will be no bother to ya, i'd like to nip inside your 17:41 5k time tho!! :)
    seanynova wrote: »
    very good session TNO, is that the CIT track? disaster with having to run in lane 3, but you seam to have it worked out, 3sec extra a lap eh...how long of rest did you take?
    i did those a few weeks ago, think i managed 3:31-3:36 and 3mins recovery, but was in lane 1!!, fair play to ya lad...

Yeah its out at the CIT track, are you tempted to come and join us for a session ? ;)
    They usually close the inside lanes, and its lane 3 then, which is a pain, but you get used to it as to what splits you need for an interval.

I took 2:45 rest off each 1km, it was enough that the HR was down at a reasonable level ~150-155, before going again. 5*km repeats would be a max number I'd ever do, so the same session with reduced recovery would be a good target.

I've noticed that too, we've very similar times, the sub-3 will be no bother to ya, i'd like to nip inside your 17:41 5k time tho!! :)

I'll trade ya :rolleyes:
    tbh, I sometimes wonder what I'de prefer to do, a really good track race (ie, sub 5ml, sub 2:15 800m) or go sub 3. I've decided on both :D

I took 2:45 rest off each 1km, it was enough that the HR was down at a reasonable level ~150-155, before going again. 5*km repeats would be a max number I'd ever do, so the same session with reduced recovery would be a good target.

2:45 !! You Cork lads don't know the meaning of pain :D
    Our coach has us doing 10 x 1K off 90 secs :eek:

2:45 !! You Cork lads don't know the meaning of pain :D
    Our coach has us doing 10 x 1K off 90 secs :eek:

No reason why you can't get both ! ;)

10*1k repeats and off 90s, wow, I think that falls into the category of super-hero workout ! the word masochism enters my mind! :D

No reason why you can't get both ! ;)

10*1k repeats and off 90s, wow, I think that falls into the category of super-hero workout ! the word masochism enters my mind! :D

What's the pace of these 10 reps?

What's the pace of these 10 reps?

fastest was 3:34, but they averaged 3:37

fastest was 3:34, but they averaged 3:37

So more like 10k pace rather than 5k pace. It's all relative. I would find 10 x 1km at 10k pace easier....I hate paces faster than 5k. I generally don't do more than 8km worth of actual reps so maybe a bit of room to train harder

• Advertisement

So more like 10k pace rather than 5k pace. It's all relative. I would find 10 x 1km at 10k pace easier....I hate paces faster than 5k. I generally don't do more than 8km worth of actual reps so maybe a bit of room to train harder

all depends what your 10K pace is :rolleyes: , I'll know more after tomorrow evening ;)
    Sorry tno, we seem to have hijacked your board here !

Advertisement