Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

12.1 miles this morning, 8:03min/mile av pace, avhr: 157.

back to the loop I was doing all through summer there, Harty's into Monkstown, back by Rafeen hill. the path to Passage West was back open today and they've tarred the surface, looks pretty cool, and there mite be lights going up on d path as well, which would give another option for running at nite.

Was fair cold now this morning though, and def a day for leggings,gloves and hat. had lad from work with me running again and makes some difference, had ran 4miles without barely noticing this morn, whereas on my own its much tougher!

The hill by Rafeen was tough going, and shows how keeping hills in your training is important, else you'll lose what you've built in your legs from them.

Just over 25miles this week in total...we carry on...

Mon: 4miles easy paced, about 8min/mile
    Tues: Track session, 3*1mile repeats at 90s/lap, 3mins recoveries.

1.5mile warm-up first, boy was it cold tonite, but well wrapped up these days, with leggings,jacket,gloves and hat.

change of session this week, the 2km repeats are done with and now onto mile repeats. pace has gone up now and running at 90s/lap (was 95s/lap for 2km repeats).

Idea over next few weeks is to build the number of repeats gradually, but to keep pace as it is.

splits summaries and hr: [6:04,5:58,6:02], [169,177,178], giving av split of 6:01 and av int hr of 175.

a 1mile warm-down to finish.
    a tough session now to be fair tonite, but helped by the way there were 5 of us in the group. took advantage of the full 3min recoveries and were def needed. time flew though and def much easier that the 2k sessions!!

Took a rest day yesterday, off work for a couple of days thank god, needed the break!!

Today, I ran 5 miles, legs a bit sore-ish from track other nite. bit of a wind and was out in a shower, but these things are meant to harden us right?;)
    av pace: 7:35 min/mile, avhr: 158. will aim for an easy run tomorrow and about 12miles on sat.

4miles easy paced (7:50min/mile) at lunch-time. legs feeling fine, looking forward to a long run tomorrow.

12.1 miles this morning, 8:01min/mile av pace, avhr: 160.

this run felt tough going this morn from the out, can't really blame weather as it was dry and no cold there. legs loosened out after a couple of miles thogh. thank god i'd company on this run as I would have cut it in half if on my own!

Just over 30miles this week, so not too bad going, will try and keep that mileage going for next while now.

• Advertisement

4miles easy after work, av pace 8:10min/mile, avhr: 151.

Did 6 laps of the Lough, a welcome change from the gym and its also on my way home, though any more laps and I mite have got dizzy from going around in circles. track tomorrow nite.

2mile warm-up
    4*1mile repeats at 90s/lap, 3mins recoveries.
    1mile warm-down

Much nicer and milder evening out than last week.That wind on back-stretch of track was still there, def a constant in our training!

An extra mile repeat was on cards so it was going to be a tough session.
    Splits summaries and hr:
    [6:04,6:02,6:01,6:01], [170,179,177,177], giving av split of 6:02 and av int hr of 176.

Def a tough session and knew it would be after first mile repeat, just seemed to be lacking a bit of energy tonite. At least there was a good group of us again running around, the last repeat I found real tough and aim was to just hang-on for as long as possible to the guy setting the pace.

Def back for more next week though!

four miles very easy after work, av pace: 8:20min/mile, avhr:150.

legs sore-ish after track last nite, and needed the loosening out. will take a rest tomorrow.

few of us heading down to half marathon in waterford on sat. not racing this as such, but going to run it at 7:15min/mile, which I reckon would be a marathon paced effort for me.
    want to see how it feels for pace and how HR looks.

next real race that I want to do is the Belgooly 4mile on stephen's day, where I hope to give sub-24 a go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    few of us heading down to half marathon in waterford on sat. not racing this as such, but going to run it at 7:15min/mile, which I reckon would be a marathon paced effort for me.
    want to see how it feels for pace and how HR looks.

Would you not give it a proper bash? You can have a go off 7:15 any weekend for 13 miles but its not often you get to race 13.1 miles and I think it would be very beneficial, expecially with the 10 mile races coming up....maybe try out your 10 mile pace?? Missing it myself as going on holidays tomorrow for a week but would love to be doing it.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Would you not give it a proper bash?

Believe me, I have thought about it. I guess its more of a fitness test for me to be honest, to see where I am running at that pace. The worst that could happen is I go out targetting a hard pace for the half and not get it.

Racing the half flat out, would mean losing out on most of the sessions next week, due to recovery. The training i'm doing at moment, esp. the track session is targetting a 4-5mile race, which i'd hope to give a crack off over xmas.

Its a bit away, but the Cork Marathon is def on the horizon!

• Advertisement

Believe me, I have thought about it. I guess its more of a fitness test for me to be honest, to see where I am running at that pace. The worst that could happen is I go out targetting a hard pace for the half and not get it.

Racing the half flat out, would mean losing out on most of the sessions next week, due to recovery. The training i'm doing at moment, esp. the track session is targetting a 4-5mile race, which i'd hope to give a crack off over xmas.

Its a bit away, but the Cork Marathon is def on the horizon!

Fair enough....I'm coming from the point of view where I haven't raced in over 3 months and am feeling massive withdrawal symptoms!! Especially when the result of my last race was not very satisfactory.....I'm back on track though and over the injuries and running good again so should be able to get in a race over the christmas period hopefully.

By the way, do you have a mapmyrun or similar link to the rafeen hill run you do?

good to hear ure injury free lad, finding it tough enuf going over Winter now as well to get out for sessions like, much easier over summer...the motivation is low sometimes!

Yeah, the route we do is up on mapmyrun. What we'd usually do is start from where the 4mile mark is at(Harty's Quay) and run in to Passage->Monkstown, and back to Harty's over Rafeen hill. Thats 9miles or so. You can extend it then as well with the other 6mile loop (Harty's into Blackrock) if ya want. Its handy cos ya can take a water-break at your car after the first 9miles before going again or whatever. Usually do that loop on saturday's at 9am if ure around sure some wknd, give us a shout.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/252998084

enjoy the hols!!

Firstly, want to say that this was one of the most enjoyable races of the year+def back for more next year. Considering there was over 1300? entries, it started pretty much on time, well stewarded, great support out on route, and real friendly atmosphere. Tea, sandwiches + cookies at finish (should have grabbed another one of those cookies for car!)

Set out to do a marathon paced effort of 7:15min/mile, thinking that 3:10 maybe something to aim for in Cork next year so wanted to see how it felt. Conditions were very good in fairness, dry, overcast, no wind, and not too cold at all, though I kept the hat+gloves on for d race...

Mile splits+ hr:

Mile Split1 7:21 [150]
    2 7:14 [163]
    3 7:11 [165]
    4 7:16 [166]
    5 7:27 [170]
    6 7:19 [173]
    7 7:02 [172]
    8 7:06 [169]
    9 7:19 [170]
    10 7:10 [167]
    11 6:58 [168]
    12 7:14 [168]
    13 6:09 [177]
    13.1 0:35 [182]

Total Time: 1:33:18, av pace: 7:08min/mile avhr: 168

Found the out part of the course tough enough going, in terms of trying to keep pace and keeping an eye on HR as well. very difficult to find a group to run with. put more effort into the hills maybe than I should have, but HR didn't drift too much.Back-part of the course was very comfortable mostly flat or downhill and could have pushed on for a lot more than I did. Upped the pace for last 1.1miles, to blow off a bit of steam, but other than that I felt I had the pace rite for 7:15min/mile. Felt I could have done another 5miles I'd say at that pace today.

Def lots to think about if I'm to attempt a marathon at that pace:
    - more training runs will have to include marathon paced effort.
    - my avhr was prob a bit too high from where I'd like it to be, seeing this in training as well for easy runs at moment, I'm a bit off where I was aerobically during the summer.
    - Also, I averaged 171 heart-rate during Cork to Cobh and that was at av-pace of 6:35min/mile (was a hillier course today though).

So plenty of food for thought and def feel I'm gonna give the Cork Marathon a go next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff TNO, looks like you had loads left at the end

Summary of last while below:

Sunday: REST
    Monday: 5k recovery pace 8:30min/mile (avhr: 148)
    Tuesday: REST
    Wednesday: 4miles @ 8:22min/mile, avhr: 148
    Thursday: 5miles @ 7: 52min/mile, avhr: 149

The half marathon took a good bit out of me and was definately not right for the track session by Tuesday with the club, so gave legs a rest. Aim for Thursday was to visit track instead, legs were feeling fine, but I felt track was a bit too sliipy(ice) for doing mile repeats on so opted for a 5mile run around Bishopstown instead.

Couple of races on this weekend in Cork, a 5k in Shanagarry and a 5miler in Newmarket. Going to give the 5k a go tomorrow, ran this last year and was a good race, small-ish numbers like, but a good vibe around it.
    The race can serve as my speed session for the week, but also looking forward to it as I haven't ran a 5k in a while, not sure if I'll hit anywhere near 18:25 but we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

thanks for the link to the plan the other day. that was a nice half time given you did it without pushing it.

Friday: REST (work nite out on thurs!)
    Saturday: Shanagarry 5k race in 18:25, 6.1miles total
    Sunday: 5.35 miles at 7:40min/mile

Boy, its been cold the last few days. Was really itching to do the 5k yesterday, needed a good blow-out and it'd been a while since my last race. After a 2mile warm-up I did a few strides and joined everyone else at the start-line, about 85runners in it, which is a good crowd for a local race like this (only 3euros to enter like and for GOAL). Heart-rate monitor's battery is dead so have no HR splits, but mile splits were 5:54, 6:00, 5:57 and 0:34 for last 0.1mile, giving 18:25 total and equalling my 5k PB from Togher in early September.
    Happy out with this to be honest, good to see that I haven't lost anything fitness wise over this distance anyway and last week the 13.1 miles looked ok too. Def needed the race though, and would hope to get close if not dip under 24:00 in Belgooly on Stephen's Day. Was isolated for the 2nd half of today's race and found it hard pacing wise, prob should have tried to stay with Niamh who was in front of me from start... next time!

Today, set out to do 5easy miles, again no battery for HR monitor, was well wrapped up for this, well bitter out, averaged 7:40min/mile overall.

Thats good running in December, well done.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Thats good running in December, well done.

thanks lad. how were the hols?hope it was somewhere warmer than here! Very hard to get out training.mite have to head to gym later again, track mite be like an ice-rink...

Will we see ya at one of the races over christmas?

thanks lad. how were the hols?hope it was somewhere warmer than here! Very hard to get out training.mite have to head to gym later again, track mite be like an ice-rink...

Will we see ya at one of the races over christmas?

Went to the canaries and had enough room in the bag for the racing flats and the 305 so got 4 days running in (including one good tempo) which was a first for holidays, not to feel like I had lost ground....got 20 miles in. Still put on 2kg with all the wine and food but could have been much worse.

Don't plan on any race over Christmas...small possiblitity of Belgooly...if the ice is gone I'll give it a go, otherwise it'll be Mallow 10 on the 10th which i'm looking forward to...10 milers are tough!

Ran down an 18% incline yesterday in the ice and it was one of more frightening things i've done in my life...avoided that hill today.

• Advertisement

Belgooly is a good race, will head up as well if roads are ok like. Good going getting that running in during your hols!
    Have a good xmas lad and stay away from that hill...

Monday : Rest Day.
    Tuesday: track session with club, mile repeats

wasn't sure if this would go ahead tonite, but there was a decent enough sized group about, track had been salted and was ok to run on, though we'd to use land 3 as inside lanes were closed off.

2.5mile warm-up, then 3*mile repeats at 93s/lap in Lane 3 with 3min recoveries. 1mile warm-down.
    93s/lap is about 6min/mile pace for lane 3.

Splits were: 6:18, 6:15, 6:15 averaging 6:16min/mile overall.

Was one tough session tonite, abs. freezing out and could really feel cold in lungs. I stopped at 3 repeats as I was tightening up, could feel race from sat in my legs. Good session, but thank god its not those conditions every week! Prob have to goto gym and threadmill tomorrow for the recovery run, don't like the look of the roads or footpaths at the moment!

4miles recovery run on threadmill, had it at 1% incline and speed set for 8:30min/mile pace. One good thing about the threadmill, is that its a "surer" way to have an easy run, as if I was outside, this pace mite have been a bit faster. still no battery found for my HRM, thought tesco's would have them, see them on e-bay here now, and mite order a blast. all done with work for this year, yippee!!

got a nice run in at farm this morning, pitches completely frozen of couse, but not too cold, about 1.5C, makes a change from the -2C we had doing intervals the other nite!

4.5miles total, av-pace : 7:53min/mile.will do Belgooly 4mile now on stephen's day, weather permitting!

Have a good christmas gang :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi tno,

Haven't posted here for a while but I have been keeping an eye on your log. Nice HM, a very good time considering you were taking it easy!
    Don't be too conservative with your marathon goal time - your 5k time indicates a sub-3hr if you do the training.
    Have a nice Christmas!

xmas day: 1.5miles easy -> very easy in wood, centre of path completely frozen, both of us got back to car with no breaks though, so was a good run!

st.stephen's day: 4.5miles @ 8:35min/mile. roads still dodgy and race in belgooly was cancelled. pity, as I was hoping to better my 24:20 pb, will have to wait for another day!

27th : REST, bit hung-over from nite before, still could have got out, but said f-it, this christmas!

28th: 6.7miles at 7:21min/mile out at farm. very nice run this morning, pushed pace a little bit, if the HRM was working, it would have been a bit out of easy running range, but didn't care today, was just glad to get the run it. hopefully now, will get some mileage in this week, only 21miles covered last week and mallow 10 is coming up.

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi tno,

Haven't posted here for a while but I have been keeping an eye on your log. Nice HM, a very good time considering you were taking it easy!
    Don't be too conservative with your marathon goal time - your 5k time indicates a sub-3hr if you do the training.
    Have a nice Christmas!

thanks aero2k, sub 3 at some stage is at back of my mind, but I think for my first marathon and the fact that its in Cork in June miten;t be the best target. I think around 3:10 is def something I can aim for and see how things go after that. must re-read your race -report ;)

6.75 miles at 7:43min/mile around footpaths of Bishopstown. pretty wet for this run, but good to get it in, two decent runs in now this week already, will try and get some decent mileage this week, I am off work after all...

4.2miles at 7:45min/mile (avhr:155). getting out while I can at moment, the weather could be changing again for weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I think most are the same,i am snookered at the minute,the wife is in work and our son is off school,so i dont have much freedom,and with Christmas,new years coming,icy paths...plenty of obstacles in the way.
    But i will find a way,didnt get out yesterday,but will tonight regardless of rain,wind or cold...once the ice stay away,we will survive.

Advertisement