Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

tisnotover wrote: »
    Yeah its out at the CIT track, are you tempted to come and join us for a session ? ;)
    They usually close the inside lanes, and its lane 3 then, which is a pain, but you get used to it as to what splits you need for an interval.

i used to do my track work on thursdays in the CIT track for my last marathon, say the eagle lads alright, sometimes there is good numbers there! if i was to join a club it would prob be eagle but at the moment ill keep plodding away on my own as after this marathon, the running could be shelved for a bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

seanynova wrote: »
    i used to do my track work on thursdays in the CIT track for my last marathon, say the eagle lads alright, sometimes there is good numbers there! if i was to join a club it would prob be eagle but at the moment ill keep plodding away on my own as after this marathon, the running could be shelved for a bit :(

any time ya want to call out, give us a shout, there's no commitment to joining at all, but 90% people do like after a while! good numbers alrite lately which makes doing intervals/ speed-work that bit easier !!

any time ya want to call out, give us a shout, there's no commitment to joining at all, but 90% people do like after a while! good numbers alrite lately which makes doing intervals/ speed-work that bit easier !!

cool lad, worked with a guy before whos brother is a member and he swears by ye(eagle)....his PBs have come down since joining and loves the training aparantly....

ill see how i get on when i get home and if i can squeeze in a session il give ya a shout...

Long-ish run this morn over hills in Ballinora, its been too long, the route hurts, shows how much fitter I was over long stuff back in April/May ;)

Dist: 13.86 m
    Pace: 7:38
    av hr:157.

Good run to get in though, and we pushed pace a bit on flatter parts to bring time down. First time wearing a jacket out running in a while, cold + wet down here this morn.

Couple of laps of farm (4.4miles) with 4*100m strides after. Pace was 7:40min/mile, avhr:144.

Legs felt a bit tired to be honest, but I kinda have that feeling most monday's. Track tomorrow. No racing now till Ballycotton.

• Advertisement

6.5miles total with 3*800m targetting mile pace, full recoveries between sets. Very good session, five of us in group, didn't really look at watch for this, more about keeping up with Denis and Matt ahead of me, managed to pass Denis on last repeat, we all ran hard in last 400m of that one.

Splits (Lane 3) were 2:36, 2:37 and 2:33.

watching the Young Buys kicking Spurs ass now !

saw on gringos log that your doing the cork half, what time do you hope to run it in? i have decided to pull out of ballycotton 5 and do the half marathon instead.

saw the results from last year, there are some big names finishing in "moderate"(moderate for them) times...is it a difficult race with the 2m drag?

am curious to know how you would pace this race? i would hope to break my PB from limerick but, limerick was a relatively flat course!! :confused:

saw on gringos log that your doing the cork half, what time do you hope to run it in? i have decided to pull out of ballycotton 5 and do the half marathon instead.

saw the results from last year, there are some big names finishing in "moderate"(moderate for them) times...is it a difficult race with the 2m drag?

am curious to know how you would pace this race? i would hope to break my PB from limerick but, limerick was a relatively flat course!! :confused:

I've ran the Cork half twice and have ran well both times, but it does help to know the course. Go out too fast and the hill will catch you. I'd pace it by running steady up to 6miles, steady effort on hill (accept you will lose time), recover on downhill section and push on from there, def a course for a negative split.

There is a climb of about 2miles like at the six mile mark and the best situation there would be to stick+pace off someone's shoulder going up it. Don't attack the downhill section too hard after it either (as I did last yr) as you could get a stitch if your prone to them.

Time-wise I'm not sure, the longest distance I've raced lately is 5miles, but I would hope to go out at 6:20 pace and push on from there when it loops back*
    I also ran Cork to Cobh last year and passed through the 13.1mile mark about 1min faster than m time from the cork half.

Your training has progressed a hell of a lot since Limerick, so there is no reason in my book why you can't aim for a faster half, you should have it within ya??

For me (and Sosa would agree), the Waterford half is the one to aim for a time, things going right I'd hope to push for 1:20 there.

* subject to change as mind-games takeover closer to race.

I've ran the Cork half twice and have ran well both times, but it does help to know the course. Go out too fast and the hill will catch you. I'd pace it by running steady up to 6miles, steady effort on hill (accept you will lose time), recover on downhill section and push on from there, def a course for a negative split.

There is a climb of about 2miles like at the six mile mark and the best situation there would be to stick+pace off someone's shoulder going up it. Don't attack the downhill section too hard after it either (as I did last yr) as you could get a stitch if your prone to them.

Time-wise I'm not sure, the longest distance I've raced lately is 5miles, but I would hope to go out at 6:20 pace and push on from there when it loops back*
    I also ran Cork to Cobh last year and passed through the 13.1mile mark about 1min faster than m time from the cork half.

Your training has progressed a hell of a lot since Limerick, so there is no reason in my book why you can't aim for a faster half, you should have it within ya??

For me (and Sosa would agree), the Waterford half is the one to aim for a time, things going right I'd hope to push for 1:20 there.

* subject to change as mind-games takeover closer to race.

cheers for the advice, your right about pacing the hill with someone, will defo keep something in the tank for the last 6m as they could be fast and will need to pick up lost time from the uphills.
    i might drive the route before hand or run it in a training run just to get an idea of the thing...

just goes to show that the 15miler to cobh was a faster pace than cork half, must have been the hill that cost you? cos there is only 3weeks between them!

this time round id say sub 83mins is well within ya, id prob have to be content with sub84, but might aim for 83:30? will know more next week when training back home, also havent really run up any hills since May, will need to get that into my training!,

9.1miles with 3*2miles at tempo pace with 2min recoveries.

2mile av-pace splits (hr): 6:26 (169), 6:17 (171), 6:22 (171)

Had in my mind targetting a tempo pace of 6:10->6:15min/mile for this, but conditions weren't helping tonite, wet+windy by marina->Blackrock castle loop, memories of the Cork Marathon coming back to me ! ;)

Felt like stopping after the 2nd one, but dug it out and kept going, the "are you training hard enuf" thread ringing in my ears ;)

This was a step-up in tempo distance for me, and on a better day i'd say I'd gain better splits. Will hope to repeat this session at least once more before the cork half.4*2miles might be pushing it, but 2*3miles would be nice :D

• Advertisement

Had in my mind targetting a tempo pace of 6:10->6:15min/mile for this, but conditions weren't helping tonite, wet+windy by marina->Blackrock castle loop, memories of the Cork Marathon coming back to me ! ;)

Felt like stopping after the 2nd one, but dug it out and kept going, the "are you training hard enuf" thread ringing in my ears ;)

This was a step-up in tempo distance for me, and on a better day i'd say I'd gain better splits. Will hope to repeat this session at least once more before the cork half.4*2miles might be pushing it, but 2*3miles would be nice :D

good session! HR is a good zone for tempo...you will be fine for a 4x2m session...or do a daniels type 4x12mins session(approx 1.8-1.9m?) i have that schedules the week before the cork half.
    tomorrow, i have something similar to 2x3m, ill also be battling weather but a 7am start will help, hope i train hard enough too!!!

cheers for the advice, your right about pacing the hill with someone, will defo keep something in the tank for the last 6m as they could be fast and will need to pick up lost time from the uphills.
    i might drive the route before hand or run it in a training run just to get an idea of the thing...

just goes to show that the 15miler to cobh was a faster pace than cork half, must have been the hill that cost you? cos there is only 3weeks between them!

this time round id say sub 83mins is well within ya, id prob have to be content with sub84, but might aim for 83:30? will know more next week when training back home, also havent really run up any hills since May, will need to get that into my training!,

Yeah, either driving it or running it in a training run, will give ya a good idea, I have the course elevation somewhere, can dig it out closer to race.

On the difference between the half and 15mile race, it was more throwing caution to wind like, knowing that there was no hill ahead like Blarney, so going for an even split race instead. You should def do Cork to Cobh as well. I ran sub-83 in May and surprised myself by it, hopefully I can do it again in Blarney!

You def need hill-work in your training (says he who's been neglecting them too!) :rolleyes:

Yeah, either driving it or running it in a training run, will give ya a good idea, I have the course elevation somewhere, can dig it out closer to race.

On the difference between the half and 15mile race, it was more throwing caution to wind like, knowing that there was no hill ahead like Blarney, so going for an even split race instead. You should def do Cork to Cobh as well. I ran sub-83 in May and surprised myself by it, hopefully I can do it again in Blarney!

You def need hill-work in your training (says he who's been neglecting them too!) :rolleyes:

not sure ill get cork to cobh in, its 2weeks out from amsterdam....would be a good race though!
    ill check out blarney next week but hopefully will get under 6:25m/m there...ill know more next week when training at home.
    only hills ill run are model farm road, blackrock castle and maybe from western road to college road....not much really in training like...id asy you will break 83 alright, similar hill to bay run no? aim for sub 82 @ sub6:15m/m, a good stepping stone to a sub80 waterford half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

This was a good session tno , again similar to mine. I did these in the Spring and really found that they paid off.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    This was a good session tno , again similar to mine. I did these in the Spring and really found that they paid off.

Tx speedy, just commented on your one too on your log, tough session, but good to get in, you need to get used to these for 10mile/13.1mile stuff.

5miles steady after work, av-pace 7:55min/mile. legs needed that, right calf was a bit stiff starting out, but got into it. Did couple of strides after to loosen out.

15miles this morning at 8:05min/mile, avhr: 150.

This was a new route for me. Met up with club, about 13 of us this morn, in Carrigaline, route ran into Crosshaven, onto Mrthyville? then Fountainstown and back to Carrigaline.

The views were class though, perfect calm conditions if a bit warm, but great to see the view back to Roches Point from the other side, first time down that neck of the woods and usually only see it from other side of harbour.

Hilly enough route, prob the 2nd hardest I've ran, we ran at a steady pace, with the hills open for the usual attacks ( watch out in Ballycotton lads ;) ). The thing about going for it on the hills today was, ya didn't know how long the climbs were, as it was the first time I had ran the route, good fun though. Also have got in 40miles this week, which is the highest in a while.

Will try and keep it in 35-40mile range for next few weeks.

5.0miles at 7:35min/mile, avhr:152. Blackrock railway line loop after work. Will try and integrate this into the training, as its easier to get out running + wait for traffic to lighten than be sitting in traffic on South Link in rush hour!

track tomorrow.

decided to go down to ballycotton thursday night, might see ya down there!
    going to run it as a tempo, so will have to make sure not to get carried away and race it!

if i dont see you down there, good luck with it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Few Q's about Thursday tno ....

How far is the parking (from the start/registration) that they send you to as you arrive into the village ?

Are there showers available ?

I was going to finish work at 6,but it will take me the guts of an hour from Dungarvan,so will finish at 5:30...arrive 6:30...should be loads ?

Is there much hassle getting out of there afterwards ?

-Thanks
    see you Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Few Q's about Thursday tno ....

How far is the parking (from the start/registration) that they send you to as you arrive into the village ?

Are there showers available ?

I was going to finish work at 6,but it will take me the guts of an hour from Dungarvan,so will finish at 5:30...arrive 6:30...should be loads ?

Is there much hassle getting out of there afterwards ?

-Thanks
    see you Thursday

Car park is probably half a mile from registration, its on the way into the village, generally there aren't any traffic problems as its well organised and its on a much smaller scale to the Ballycotton 10.

6:30 is loads of time - I wouldn't get panicky as long as you're there before 7. They have a pre-determined race number for those who have done the otehr 3 races in the series so there aren't massive queues at registration as I remember (they're quite efficient)

You can't get out until the bulk of the runners are finished i.e probably 45min after race start, but after that, generally no hassle.

Showers....I'll leave that to someone else to answer, I think there may be but I've never availed so maybe not.

@Sosa: On the subject of pre-determined numbers - numbers 1-200 will show what position the runner is based on the first 3 races. Numbers 12-20 will be running in the range 28:xx so have a look around the start line and pick out those numebrs and try to stay with them....No 17 & No 13 would be good bets as they'll be running roundabout your PB pace and they usually race eachother as they fight for prizes in the M40 category so you could form a mini group with them. They'll go out hard though the first mile but ballycotton 5 requires a fast first mile so don't be too put out by that. I have to give you this advice since I'm not there to pace you ;)

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Car park is probably half a mile from registration, its on the way into the village, generally there aren't any traffic problems as its well organised and its on a much smaller scale to the Ballycotton 10.

6:30 is loads of time - I wouldn't get panicky as long as you're there before 7. They have a pre-determined race number for those who have done the otehr 3 races in the series so there aren't massive queues at registration as I remember (they're quite efficient)

You can't get out until the bulk of the runners are finished i.e probably 45min after race start, but after that, generally no hassle.

Showers....I'll leave that to someone else to answer, I think there may be but I've never availed so maybe not.

@Sosa: On the subject of pre-determined numbers - numbers 1-200 will show what position the runner is based on the first 3 races. Numbers 12-20 will be running in the range 28:xx so have a look around the start line and pick out those numebrs and try to stay with them....No 17 & No 13 would be good bets as they'll be running roundabout your PB pace and they usually race eachother as they fight for prizes in the M40 category so you could form a mini group with them. They'll go out hard though the first mile but ballycotton 5 requires a fast first mile so don't be too put out by that. I have to give you this advice since I'm not there to pace you ;)

Good man Gringo,thanks.
    As for the showers,would be handy to have one there.
    I'll keep a look out for those numbers at the start...
    If i get some training done when the baby comes,i'll pace you for our half down here as i know every bump and lump of that route,i used most of it for my LSR's

decided to go down to ballycotton thursday night, might see ya down there!
    going to run it as a tempo, so will have to make sure not to get carried away and race it!

if i dont see you down there, good luck with it anyway...

good stuff lad, I'll be wearing a black singlet with the number 55 on it ! Give us a shout if ya see me ;)

4.5miles total with 4*400m targetting 74s/lap (77s/lap in lane 3) with 200m recoveries

we hit splits of 76, 78, 77 and 74 for the last, so consistent enough and got carried away on last one!

@ Gringo, tx for posting about Ballycotton, not much more I can add Sosa!

@ Sosa, I'm not sure about showers, but I can try and find out. Also for the time your going for I heard Lizzie Lee is running on Thurs, so you could use her for a < 28:30 target?

good stuff lad, I'll be wearing a black singlet with the number 55 on it ! Give us a shout if ya see me ;)

that will help, ill have a look out for ya, if not ill be wearing blue runners, black shorts and edinburgh marathon blue tech t-shirt....

doing a tempo run, have 2 laps of the circuit to do :(

You cannot be missed with the white cap :D
    @ Sosa, I'm not sure about showers, but I can try and find out. Also for the time your going for I heard Lizzie Lee is running on Thurs, so you could use her for a < 28:30 target?

tbh,i'll be trying to get out of there asap to try avoid the traffic and get home at a reasonable hour,so i reckon i will skip the showers...i reckon its at least 90 mins home from there.

I have heard of lizzie lee,not to many women running sub 28:30 for 5m around....might try tag onto her,but have noidea how i will go,will be dissapointed if i go over 29,but sub 28:24 for a new pb ......unlikely.

The last 2 races i have fallen asleep on m3 and that was my problem there,m1,2 and 5 are good...need to make a mental not to keep going for 3&4...easier said than done.

found this link from garmin connect - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11960759

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck this evening....I expect you to get a T-shirt AND a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

best of luck. Hoping for a good report.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck this evening....I expect you to get a T-shirt AND a PB

Well I got the t-shirt but didn't get a PB. Clocked Ballycotton at 29:48. I'll post a report in morning, shattered now. I'll give ya a hint tho as to why the PB wasn't there, I went out too fast !!

Great to meet up with sosa and to have the chat! I hope you'll def sign-up for the Ballycotton 10 now next year! That was some time ya ran tonite, hope ya got back to Waterford ok.

seanynova met up with us after, jasus didn't realise ya were running those sort of times for tempo, savage session tonite, I'll def bump into ya in Blarney, who knows we might race it together !

• Advertisement

Well I got the t-shirt but didn't get a PB. Clocked Ballycotton at 29:48. I'll post a report in morning, shattered now. I'll give ya a hint tho as to why the PB wasn't there, I went out too fast !!

Great to meet up with sosa and to have the chat! I hope you'll def sign-up for the Ballycotton 10 now next year! That was some time ya ran tonite, hope ya got back to Waterford ok.

seanynova met up with us after, jasus didn't realise ya were running those sort of times for tempo, savage session tonite, I'll def bump into ya in Blarney, who knows we might race it together !

I got home in good time tno,started the car at 8:33 and arrived in the door at 9:58....and i didnt have to go into turbo boost to do it either...

I would be interested in other runners times tonight that you know,whether they were up or down on when they wanted/capable of.
    That was a hard slog tonight.

Looking at the elevation gain on the garmin it does not seem much,but when you run it...a different story

Advertisement