Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done tno,nice when it all comes together like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

seanynova wrote: »
    good run, sounded like a very strong run lad! your flying at the moment and need i point out that mcmillan puts you in line for a 1:21:49 half marathon on that basis! :eek: ill leave you off....

there is a post about the cork half in "events" if you didnt see it, your experience might add to it, ill be asking about water stations on it next...

well done again tonight lad, savage run!

It does say 1:21:xx seany :eek: , but a long long way between 5k and the 1/2 ! Remember its all about specific training, and I'm sadly lacking on the tempo front for sun week. Will do a tempo session on sat morn to see where I am.

John Desmond's "Running in Cork Blog" will have plenty of info on water stations and that next week i'd say, looking forward to it now, usually a good spread after too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Great running....you have 4 sec on me now over 5km. You still got chicked though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

tisnotover wrote: »
    John Desmond's "Running in Cork Blog" will have plenty of info on water stations and that next week i'd say, looking forward to it now, usually a good spread after too !

good website that, he is really having a go about the cost of the comercial races!!! he is dead right too though...

i remember last year i had a match or training(in the blarney GAA feild), big crowd there after the race....that will be me this year, good luck to the hurlers! :p

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Great running....you have 4 sec on me now over 5km. You still got chicked though.....

ah I didn't get chicked, sure I never got past her to be chicked ;) I think one of my race goals for next yr will be to finish ahead of the winning girl in each race, be tough going to beat Lizzie Lee though !

• Advertisement

good website that, he is really having a go about the cost of the comercial races!!! he is dead right too though...

he is dead right, new half marathon in clonakillty is on same day as Waterford half, I know where i'll be heading, those Waterford lads know how to put on a good race !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

he is dead right, new half marathon in clonakillty is on same day as Waterford half, I know where i'll be heading, those Waterford lads know how to put on a good race !

Congrats TNO - great time for 5K! I was talking to two lads at the weekend whose club are organising clonakilty. Its a 'scenic' west cork course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Your spot on tno,it will be well run and will most certainly be the proper half marathon distance.
    Congrats TNO - great time for 5K! I was talking to two lads at the weekend whose club are organising clonakilty. Its a 'scenic' west cork course :D

Scenic means hills and more hills,it was bad planning from them really,it will be clonakilty that will suffer because our half had nearly 1000 entries last year and may go over this year,that will impact on them i would imagine.

Sosa wrote: »
    Your spot on tno,it will be well run and will most certainly be the proper half marathon distance.

Scenic means hills and more hills,it was bad planning from them really,it will be clonakilty that will suffer because our half had nearly 1000 entries last year and may go over this year,that will impact on them i would imagine.

Oh i'm def heading down and there'll be a car-load with me, all in chase of a PB ;)

Guy at club got burnt badly by two "new" races this yr, Limerick Marathon and the Clonmel half which was 14.x miles ! I'm sure of course that Clonakillty will be accurately measured ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sosa wrote: »

yeah heard good things about the waterford one - might be giving that a go myself this year

• Advertisement

Guy at club got burnt badly by two "new" races this yr, Limerick Marathon and the Clonmel half which was 14.x miles ! I'm sure of course that Clonakillty will be accurately measured ! :)

what happened your club mate in the limerick marathon? 2 of the lead 3 took a wrong turn and cut the route short by accident! finished in 2:3X!!

i did the half, no real complaints about it though, although there were no mile markers for the half, just the mile markers for the full...so everytime we passed a marker, it involved doing some maths, ok was only .1 of a mile out but still....

i dont think ill pay 50euro+ entry again, where there are so many cheaper, more established races around....(excluding marathons)

ah I didn't get chicked, sure I never got past her to be chicked ;) I think one of my race goals for next yr will be to finish ahead of the winning girl in each race, be tough going to beat Lizzie Lee though !

I'll leave you off this time....only because I'll probably get hammered myself by Lizzie Lee in the triathlon on saturday.

5miles on grass this evening, pace about 7:50min/mile. not wearing the HRM this week, battery crocked again, must order a blast of em.

This was like a recovery run, as I was at a work-do last nite, thank god I was drinking bottles and not pints! Some head on me this morn ;)

Plan is for a tempo session of some sort tomorrow.

11.0miles out at farm with 3*2miles at tempo pace, 2mins recovery between intervals.

Hit tempo pace splits of 6:08, 6:09 and 6:15.

Slept in this morn, knock on effect from being out thurs nite I reckon, but got up and hit the farm. Couple of Eagles doing 20miles out there, so did a warm-up lap with them, very warm out there this morn, teached me for sleeping in !

Happy with tempo splits, mcmillan suggests a slightly faster pace for tempo when ure doing them as intervals, couple of weeks ago I found it tough to hit 6:25 pace for the exact same session.

Results from the 5k are now up, they have me at 17:44 (tho I have it at 17:42), I won't argue, its still a PB! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Results from the 5k are now up, they have me at 17:44 (tho I have it at 17:42)

<rubs chin> and goes looking for a fast 5k to target 17:43 :cool:

11.0miles out at farm with 3*2miles at tempo pace, 2mins recovery between intervals.

Hit tempo pace splits of 6:08, 6:09 and 6:15.

Slept in this morn, knock on effect from being out thurs nite I reckon, but got up and hit the farm. Couple of Eagles doing 20miles out there, so did a warm-up lap with them, very warm out there this morn, teached me for sleeping in !

Happy with tempo splits, mcmillan suggests a slightly faster pace for tempo when ure doing them as intervals, couple of weeks ago I found it tough to hit 6:25 pace for the exact same session.

Results from the 5k are now up, they have me at 17:44 (tho I have it at 17:42), I won't argue, its still a PB! ;)

i had a feeling that you would have a fast tempo pace, with all the faster stuff your doing in training like.....isint it all directly related to VO2 max levels anyway!

it will stand to you come next week, good session!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    <rubs chin> and goes looking for a fast 5k to target 17:43 :cool:

I don't think u need to, age grading your time says it all, I reckon I need to knock a bit more off it ! ;)

i had a feeling that you would have a fast tempo pace, with all the faster stuff your doing in training like.....isint it all directly related to VO2 max levels anyway!

it will stand to you come next week, good session!

I dunno about it standing to me next week, bit too close for that, but it has given me a little confidence about what pace to go at. Will head out at 6:20 pace for a couple of miles and try and settle in before hill. Another lad from club is thinking of going with me, you on for it ? Looking forward to it now.

I dunno about it standing to me next week, bit too close for that, but it has given me a little confidence about what pace to go at. Will head out at 6:20 pace for a couple of miles and try and settle in before hill. Another lad from club is thinking of going with me, you on for it ? Looking forward to it now.

ya cool, i think taking it out at 6:20ish will be ok(?), not making the same mistake as i always do and run the 1st half mile around 3:00m/m pace!!!!!.....and end up slowing down too much due to fatigue....

what is your mates half marathon PB?

looking forward to it also, trying to figure out my next week of training around it! trying to be fresh enough for it....

ya cool, i think taking it out at 6:20ish will be ok(?), not making the same mistake as i always do and run the 1st half mile around 3:00m/m pace!!!!!.....and end up slowing down too much due to fatigue....

what is your mates half marathon PB?

looking forward to it also, trying to figure out my next week of training around it! trying to be fresh enough for it....

I think his PB is 1:25, but he has come on a long way since that. I'll train as normal till Wednesday, skip the speed session on Thursday, replace with easy run, rest Friday, and ~3miles easy early sat morn.

The pace should feel comfortable for first few miles (like ure holding back), if it doesn't then its too hot. Its easy to try and get time back I reckon later, thats the way it went last year anyway, but this year, the pace is hotter !

• Advertisement

I think his PB is 1:25, but he has come on a long way since that. I'll train as normal till Wednesday, skip the speed session on Thursday, replace with easy run, rest Friday, and ~3miles easy early sat morn.

The pace should feel comfortable for first few miles (like ure holding back), if it doesn't then its too hot. Its easy to try and get time back I reckon later, thats the way it went last year anyway, but this year, the pace is hotter !

i think thats the key, feeling comfortable early on...6:20 should be feel good then but around mile 11 it might not killer!

are you hoping for 6:20 to give you sub83? or whould fancy a go at sub82, with a good negative split? you shorter times would suggest it on!

ill be content with sub83 but the main thing is i want to run it as fast as i can, dont want to be thinking after, i could have went faster in some areas! working in a group will help me, i was in no-mans land for most of my last half!

5.2 miles at 7:55min/mile out at farm. After all the rain, the ground was nice and soft.

I've a bit of a head-cold, sneezing and lemsip all day. Will mind myself for rest of week now, I've no temperature or anything and just wanted to get out and run between the showers down here!!

are you hoping for 6:20 to give you sub83? or whould fancy a go at sub82, with a good negative split? you shorter times would suggest it on!

1:22/1:23 I'd take off ya if you could give it to me !

5.2 miles at 7:55min/mile out at farm. After all the rain, the ground was nice and soft.

I've a bit of a head-cold, sneezing and lemsip all day. Will mind myself for rest of week now, I've no temperature or anything and just wanted to get out and run between the showers down here!!

good luck getting over the cold TNO, and hopefully you will be fresh come sunday!
    1:22/1:23 I'd take off ya if you could give it to me !

ill be lucky to help you along for 8/9miles....after that im sure you will be ahead on your own...but 1:22/1:23 will be on either way...

can you let me know when you get your race number in the post? i gave in my form to John Buckley Sports a few weeks ago but have not heard anything since :confused:

Winter Training officially started tonite according to our coach !!

I wasn't feeling the best all day, head-cold worse than yest, but headed out just to jog a couple of miles to see how things were at track.

Session planned was to do 3miles at tempo pace, with each person taking a turn at front to set the pace, the person coming to the front was the guy at back of the group each time. We hit 6:20min/mile average pace, which was good going and it was great crack sprinting past the group and setting the pace at front ;) Plan is to extend the number of miles at tempo I think and after that the pace.

6miles total. Rest now for rest of week if I have to, I need to shift the cold, no-way I was fit for 13.1miles at that pace tonite!

ill be lucky to help you along for 8/9miles....after that im sure you will be ahead on your own...but 1:22/1:23 will be on either way...

can you let me know when you get your race number in the post? i gave in my form to John Buckley Sports a few weeks ago but have not heard anything since :confused:

yeah right, you'll be well able to go at that pace !

not sure about race number, it might have been delivered to parents house, will give em a buzz later !

yeah right, you'll be well able to go at that pace !

not sure about race number, it might have been delivered to parents house, will give em a buzz later !

couldnt do it in training but maybe i have a chance with the race hat on...and singlet, flats, gels, water, lucozade.....etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I wasn't feeling the best all day, head-cold worse than yest, but headed out just to jog a couple of miles to see how things were at track.

Session planned was to do 3miles at tempo pace, with each person taking a turn at front to set the pace, the person coming to the front was the guy at back of the group each time. We hit 6:20min/mile average pace, which was good going and it was great crack sprinting past the group and setting the pace at front ;) Plan is to extend the number of miles at tempo I think and after that the pace.

6miles total. Rest now for rest of week if I have to, I need to shift the cold, no-way I was fit for 13.1miles at that pace tonite!

I remember doing sessions like that as well. They can be great fun if your feeling it, especially going round the group like you said. If you not feeling it, well thats a different thing :eek:
    Congrats on your recent pb for the 5k btw, and best of luck in the 1/2, I've no doubt you'll run a cracker.

Sorry to hear you've picked up something - there is a bit of a flu bug going round at the moment so stock up on the lemsip and you should be right for the weekend.

The club tempo training is a good idea for the winter. If you feel pace getting too easy you can take more turns at front and add on mile or two at end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

thats a tough session alright. Im trying to shake a mild head cold off too!

Advertisement