Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

got my race pack(number, clip etc) in the post today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

seanynova wrote: »
    got my race pack(number, clip etc) in the post today.....

Good stuff, no more sessions till wknd now remember ! :-)

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you've picked up something - there is a bit of a flu bug going round at the moment so stock up on the lemsip and you should be right for the weekend.

I'd be off work, but everyone else is same, all sneezing, coughing etc ! Lemsip and strepsils are working, bit better than yesterday, mite try a hot whiskey later. I'd hope to be better by sat, and go for an easy couple of miles then to test water. Not too sure about hitting a hard pace now, cold is bound to take something out of me!
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    The club tempo training is a good idea for the winter. If you feel pace getting too easy you can take more turns at front and add on mile or two at end

It'll be a really good session if we have a decent group like, I did make a point of throwing the hammer a bit when it came to my turn d other nite, I think its called laying down the law of pack-leader or something ;)

tisnotover wrote: »
    Good stuff, no more sessions till wknd now remember ! :-)

tell me about it, going to do a slow 4 miles today with strides but thats it till warm up sunday morning....

i drove the route again yesterday as i was in the area, realised that no matter what pace you go out at, the hill will still be at crawling pace! after gradually climbing for 2miles, you hit the base of the final hill, more intense climbing, then levels for a bit(for about 0.1m) and rises sharply but reduces incline thereafter......and the decent is very steep, lasts about a mile but it will be hard to run fast and controlled so might not be as fast a mile as 1st thought! the next mile or so is more or less level, a few drags/small decents, but mainly level, 3rd and 2nd last have gradual declines but not much, should make for controlled fast miles and the last mile is flat baring the last drag before the finish....hmmmm....not looking to good!!!

Head-Cold has mostly shifted, so I went out for a lap of the farm to see how I was.

Legs are fine (well rested after 3days non-running!), but the chest/breathing isn't 100%

2.2miles at 7:30min/mile.

Will decide about the race in morning, i'd still like to run it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Head-Cold has mostly shifted, so I went out for a lap of the farm to see how I was.

Legs are fine (well rested after 3days non-running!), but the chest/breathing isn't 100%

2.2miles at 7:30min/mile.

Will decide about the race in morning, i'd still like to run it!

the 3 'rest' days will probably stand to you. If you can make it to the start line you'll probably surprise yourself and have a blinder. Best of luck.

i drove the route again yesterday as i was in the area, realised that no matter what pace you go out at, the hill will still be at crawling pace! after gradually climbing for 2miles, you hit the base of the final hill, more intense climbing, then levels for a bit(for about 0.1m) and rises sharply but reduces incline thereafter......and the decent is very steep, lasts about a mile but it will be hard to run fast and controlled so might not be as fast a mile as 1st thought! the next mile or so is more or less level, a few drags/small decents, but mainly level, 3rd and 2nd last have gradual declines but not much, should make for controlled fast miles and the last mile is flat baring the last drag before the finish....hmmmm....not looking to good!!!

Be careful running down that hill, I got a bad stitch last yr, something similar happened in a race to me this year too, nice+relaxed down the hill, the lads that go pst ya, will be ure targets when it flattens out (must imprint what I just wrote in my own head too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Hope you make the start line tomorrow tno,as speedy said you could surprise yourself on the day.
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1 hope you get to the line and have a good race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

+1 best of luck

• Advertisement

As ye know, I was undecided about this, right up to last nite. My girlfriend thought I was mad for doing it (she's prob right!), but she knew I was gonna head up if I was any way right.

Perfect conditions for a race, hardly any wind and the sun kept away for it, even tho it looked like it was going to be warmer.

Met seanynova before the start and had good chat about strategy, he looked well focused on the task in hand, told him to watch out for Angela McCann, as she'd prob be on the same pace as him.

If I hadn't been shook all week, I'd have no doubt bout what pace to go out at, but it was just full of questions for me lining up today. I thought of the tempo session I did last week, and felt it'd be tough to do that workout today + thats with 2min recoveries ;)

Mile splits for race:
    6:18, 6:20, 6:33, 6:29,6:39,7:10,6:33,6:04,6:16,6:14,6:31 and 13:06 (for last 2.1miles, forgot to lap)

5mile split: 32:19, 10mile: 64:36

So 13.1miles in 1:24:16 I clocked it, av-pace 6:26 min/mile.

I posted here the other day, that the first few miles should feel comfortable in the half, the first did today, settled into pace, seanynova was with me, the 2nd mile felt tougher, seany opened a gap on me, I thought the pace was too hot and backed off. He was in a good group with Angela and a few others. I settled into a group myself, with the 2nd lady and couple lads. The mile splits were slow I felt tho, I know we were gradually climbing, but I felt a lack of energy, the big hill was coming up as well, so u can imagine the mind-games !

I did actually get up the hills into Grenagh quiet well, it was some effort tho, ya forget each year how long the climb is ! Mile 7 has a very sharp downhill on it, I did not want to attack it, even so, I could feel a stitch coming in my side, and really put the brakes on, a lot of runners caught me, including Pat my club-mate. I took a gel at the start of the 8th mile+gave me some bit of lift, I caught upto Pat and we were running side-by-side for a bit, the mile-splits were going nicely now. Pat opened a gap on me tho in the 11th mile, for some reason I found it really tough, the split is well off the 3miles before it. But I picked up again for the last couple of miles, I guess it was the "your nearly home feeling", the last 2.1miles were at an av-pace of 6:14.

1:24:16 I'll def take today, it was hard work tho. My mind thinks back to Bantry, I finished completely differently that day, way stronger, shows how good a race I ran that day!

I'm happy I ran today, and felt I climed well on the hills, and I did finish with some nice mile splits.

P.S. well done to seanynova on his time today, I won't spoil it here, but he's on for a great marathon, great to meet up as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice running there TNO - nice to round off a difficult week with a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well dne tno - great time to run while sick!

Great job from the sickbed tno, its great experience to feel the pain and get used to digging in during a race situation.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Great job from the sickbed tno, its great experience to feel the pain and get used to digging in during a race situation.

well done again lad, good to meet up, cheers for the advice also, worked well in the end....made ground on angela after she stopped to take in water....but i prob should have kept up with her in the 2nd mile also though....horses for courses i suppose!
    good luck with the recovery anyway with the sickness/sore legs....

Tx for nice posts lads! :)

I forgot to add about the exploding gel incident, I took the top off and I guess it was pretty warm as I had been carrying it in my hand, but as I went to take it, it just flew everywhere. Think Krusty had a similar story once!
    well done again lad, good to meet up, cheers for the advice also, worked well in the end....made ground on angela after she stopped to take in water....but i prob should have kept up with her in the 2nd mile also though....horses for courses i suppose!
    good luck with the recovery anyway with the sickness/sore legs....

Tx lad. Its hard to know about those early miles isn't it, if you push too strong, then it could be a much harder finish ? But if you take it handier, then you maybe have it in-the-tank so to speak to use later ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great runnin Tis., even though ya werent feelin the best, ya still had a very good time..

Well done tno,you were always running that today and i think you knew that aswell.
    sub 85 was a good result and sets you up nicely for the Waterford half in december

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Nice run tno, especially after the week you´ve had!

Tx lad. Its hard to know about those early miles isn't it, if you push too strong, then it could be a much harder finish ? But if you take it handier, then you maybe have it in-the-tank so to speak to use later ?

well that start and the advice you gave set me up for a strong finish, and even if i went out a little faster, i may have only gained 10s or so....prob not worth the risk!

• Advertisement

Took a rest day yesterday, legs were sore to be fair after Sunday, calves and shins! Postman was good to be this morn though, a new pair of DS Trainers, last ones have seen a good bit of miles and are getting worn.

Out to the track tonite, tempo session was on the cards, wasn't too sure bout it with it being so close to the race, but most of lads there had raced as well.

6miles total with 3miles at tempo pace, averaged 6:20min/mile for tempo, where the pace was between 6:30 and 6:10 at times, good fun tho and I def feel its upto you to take the pace out when its your turn, that makes it a good workout! :)

Took a rest day yesterday, legs were sore to be fair after Sunday, calves and shins! Postman was good to be this morn though, a new pair of DS Trainers, last ones have seen a good bit of miles and are getting worn.

Out to the track tonite, tempo session was on the cards, wasn't too sure bout it with it being so close to the race, but most of lads there had raced as well.

6miles total with 3miles at tempo pace, averaged 6:20min/mile for tempo, where the pace was between 6:30 and 6:10 at times, good fun tho and I def feel its upto you to take the pace out when its your turn, that makes it a good workout! :)

fair play been able to do a tempo 2 days after a half. it took me most of the week to get back on track, maybe you didn't try hard enough :D

Speedy44 wrote: »
    fair play been able to do a tempo 2 days after a half. it took me most of the week to get back on track, maybe you didn't try hard enough :D

Maybe I didn't ! ;) But even if I was on form last Sunday, I don't think I'd have caught seanynova, some time he ran the other day like! Thinking of racing Cork to Cobh in 3 wks time, was gonna give it a skip, but mite do it now.

Maybe I didn't ! ;) But even if I was on form last Sunday, I don't think I'd have caught seanynova, some time he ran the other day like! Thinking of racing Cork to Cobh in 3 wks time, was gonna give it a skip, but mite do it now.

What are the logistics of doing this race ?
    Is it a disaster trying to get back to your car,where ever you may leave it

Sosa wrote: »
    What are the logistics of doing this race ?
    Is it a disaster trying to get back to your car,where ever you may leave it

Ran it last yr for first time, parked near train station in Cork, threw gear-bag into a van near registration. They were all transferred then for ya to Cobh. After race, picked up gear-bag and got train back upto Cork. Can't remember time of train, but we weren't waiting around anyway too long. Ya tempted ?

Last yr, it was my favourite race, weather conditons were perfect for it and its a flat course, apart from a small drag into Cobh. Def worth thinking about, only 10euros this year apparently !

Ran it last yr for first time, parked near train station in Cork, threw gear-bag into a van near registration. They were all transferred then for ya to Cobh. After race, picked up gear-bag and got train back upto Cork. Can't remember time of train, but we weren't waiting around anyway too long. Ya tempted ?

Last yr, it was my favourite race, weather conditons were perfect for it and its a flat course, apart from a small drag into Cobh. Def worth thinking about, only 10euros this year apparently !

Eh...would like to
    I am working that day,so will be half way there anyway, and if it was a looped coursethat i could get away from handy enough i would say a certainty but all that hanging around and trains back to cork i will probably give it a miss,pity

im still out of action lad, and you were doing tempo sessions yesterday!!!...im pretty sure if you were healthy during race week you would have been well up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done on the race and your rapid post-race recovery.
    A new pair of shoes always seems to help the sore legs!

Sosa wrote: »
    Eh...would like to
    I am working that day,so will be half way there anyway, and if it was a looped coursethat i could get away from handy enough i would say a certainty but all that hanging around and trains back to cork i will probably give it a miss,pity

Pity indeed, as its a very good race, it is a bit of hassle with getting train back, especially for yourself getting back home after. Will see ya in Waterford half hopefully !
    im still out of action lad, and you were doing tempo sessions yesterday!!!...im pretty sure if you were healthy during race week you would have been well up there!

I dunno, lack of tempo running going into it as you know yourself, will have that sorted for Waterford though, touch wood !
    aero2k wrote: »
    Well done on the race and your rapid post-race recovery.
    A new pair of shoes always seems to help the sore legs!

Tx ! I treated myself to the "same-again", new DS trainer and 2150's. Was in the Trainer again there tonite, really like it !

• Advertisement

5.5miles at track with 4*400m at 75s/lap with 200m recoveries.

3 of this for this tonite, running in lane 3. Hit splits of: [76, 75, 74, 73]
    Very happy with session as I hadn't done 400's in a while, and I took out the pace tonite, would have been nicer to have a bigger group like Tuesday!

Right achilles is better today, was sore wed morn, so rested it yesterday. Hope to do an easy run tomorrow and longer run sat/sun.

Advertisement