Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Rested Yesterday as well, up walls with work and had to do an airport run to collect parents! So, only two sessions coming into today's long run with club.

16.9miles at 7:55min/mile, over a very hilly loop. Starting out, I didn't feel upto it at all, but 5miles in, I was feeling fine, and the usual games of attacking the hills were being played so I joined in!
    Lads were doing few laps of farm afterwards, so I joined them for one. Felt fresh enough to be honest, maybe the break of a few days this week is a good thing, I did get a tempo,interval and long-run in, its the easy/recovery miles that i've missed out on...

Back into 5 days running next wk. tomorrow is a very big day for Cork football, up the rebels :)

7.7miles this evening at 7:35min/mile. Felt tired, but I generally do on a Monday, was glad of some company for it !

Tempo tomorrow hopefully.

7.25miles with 3.5miles at tempo pace, usual session where ure in single file and gut at back takes it out. We averaged 6:17min/mile for the tempo tonite, pace was fluctuating every which way, first guy going off sub-6 pace. You can really challenge yourself in this when its your turn, by dropping off the back and giving yourself more to do to catch the front and take it out.

Tough session with the wind tonite, good for the x-country tho I heard someone say. Novice x-country is on the week after cork-cobh, we mite get a good team in.

P.S. was feeling good about my session till I read Sosa's 17x400m report, great going lad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

plenty tempo miles from now on TNO.....well done!

seanynova wrote: »
    plenty tempo miles from now on TNO.....well done!

yep, its all about getting back on the tempo horse, good fun that session with a group, its like a tempo/fartlek hybrid session!

• Advertisement

6.6miles at 8min/mile this evening, pace was allover place, was between 7:15 and 8:45, as I was running with different club-mates. Legs not too bad after yest evening at all.

400's tomorrow evening, won't be hitting 17 of em tho ;)

5.5miles at track with 5*400m at 75s/lap target with 200m recoveries.

4 of this for this tonite, running in lane 3. Hit splits of: [76, 75, 74, 73, 73]
    Thats 74s/lap average, ~ 71s in Lane 1.

+1 repeat on last week, find sometimes that these are tough to get into, maybe u hold back for first one, knowing whats coming up? pace was bang on for 2nd and we pushed on for last 3. handy for last two as we had a group going a bit slower ahead of us, and we were trying to bridge the gap to them, good for motivation when ure tired !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

anything less than 17*400 is frankly lazy after this week ;)

showry wrote: »
    anything less than 17*400 is frankly lazy after this week ;)

Tell me about it, I was telling them all about our Waterford friend at training tonite ! ;)

tisnotover wrote: »
    5.5miles at track with 5*400m at 75s/lap target with 200m recoveries.

4 of this for this tonite, running in lane 3. Hit splits of: [76, 75, 74, 73, 73]
    Thats 74s/lap average, ~ 71s in Lane 1.

+1 repeat on last week, find sometimes that these are tough to get into, maybe u hold back for first one, knowing whats coming up? pace was bang on for 2nd and we pushed on for last 3. handy for last two as we had a group going a bit slower ahead of us, and we were trying to bridge the gap to them, good for motivation when ure tired !

thats a good speed session, id say it would make ya very fast after a few more of those....be very good to get the VO2 max level up, esp with a short recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Tell me about it, I was telling them all about our Waterford friend at training tonite ! ;)

More running, less talking. Obviously that's why they beat us in the hurling...17 v's 5 !!!! Letting the side down!! HTFU

Gringo78 wrote: »
    More running, less talking. Obviously that's why they beat us in the hurling...17 v's 5 !!!! Letting the side down!! HTFU

Thanks Gringo ;) I see ure coming from the village runner style of motivation this evening !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thanks Gringo ;) I see ure coming from the village runner style of motivation this evening !

What are the odds on Gringo running 18*400 next week ?
    Up the Déise :D

Sosa wrote: »
    What are the odds on Gringo running 18*400 next week ?
    Up the Déise :D

Gringo will prob run comfotably for the first 15 and nail the pace for the last few, oh wait, u did that too on Tuesday!

I reckon we'll have a good race in the Waterford half Sosa !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo will prob run comfotably for the first 15 and nail the pace for the last few, oh wait, u did that too on Tuesday!

I reckon we'll have a good race in the Waterford half Sosa !

I will be racing the half tno,but as i said already,with the new arrival only 6 weeks away i have no clue whatsoever what amount of training i will be able to do for it.

Im thinking if i can only get out 3 days a week,i will do intervals,tempo and med long with hmp miles in there.
    That means no easy or recovery runs,no hill work or anything

I will just have to wait and see how things develop.

Sosa wrote: »
    I will be racing the half tno,but as i said already,with the new arrival only 6 weeks away i have no clue whatsoever what amount of training i will be able to do for it.

Im thinking if i can only get out 3 days a week,i will do intervals,tempo and med long with hmp miles in there.
    That means no easy or recovery runs,no hill work or anything

I will just have to wait and see how things develop.

you've a massive base tho still Sosa and def plenty of speed! Those 3 sessions would def be enuf to tick things over i'm sure of it, all the best with the newborn, not long to go now! :)

12.2miles on grass at 7:35min/mile.

Rested yesterday and skipped the group run with club this morning, was wrecked after a tough day at work yest, came home and went to bed for an hour+a half! takeaway and then bed an hour later.

Said i'd head to the farm for a few laps, christ was it cold out there, next time, i'm def bringing the gloves! Did not feel right at all starting out, really tired like, and was tempted to quit it after 3miles and go back to bed. But said i'd stick it another bit, and started to come good after 6miles. Dropped the pace then to 6:45min/mile for 3miles, before I hooked up with a club-mate where I jogged a couple more laps.

Feeling ok now, but tired, and a little run-down. Mite stay off the beer tonite I reckon !

Monday: 0 miles

Was feeling fine this morn, then all of a sudden got tired again at about 4, the same feeling came over me Fri evening. Sensible me, said to skip the easy 5miles tonite and go and cook a proper dinner for myself. Feeling run-down, tho I am taking the usual multivitamins! I also skipped drinks over the wknd to give the body a rest.

Hope it shifts. Was hoping to give Cork to Cobh a good race, but nothing to be gained if I still feel like this l8r in week. Will see how I am tomorrow as to whether to head to tempo at track or not.

Eagerly awaiting Krusty's marathon report in mean-time, come on lad, I've the kettle on standby here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Monday: 0 miles

Was feeling fine this morn, then all of a sudden got tired again at about 4, the same feeling came over me Fri evening. Sensible me, said to skip the easy 5miles tonite and go and cook a proper dinner for myself. Feeling run-down, tho I am taking the usual multivitamins! I also skipped drinks over the wknd to give the body a rest.

Hope it shifts. Was hoping to give Cork to Cobh a good race, but nothing to be gained if I still feel like this l8r in week. Will see how I am tomorrow as to whether to head to tempo at track or not.

Eagerly awaiting Krusty's marathon report in mean-time, come on lad, I've the kettle on standby here ;)

Even though your taking the multi's, you could still have an iron deficiency, you've been going great and training hard so would do you no harm to take it easy for a few days. At this stage, you are probably better to be safe than sorry rather than throw caution to the wind and keep trying to do sessions.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Even though your taking the multi's, you could still have an iron deficiency, you've been going great and training hard so would do you no harm to take it easy for a few days. At this stage, you are probably better to be safe than sorry rather than throw caution to the wind and keep trying to do sessions.

I have to agree with ya, few weeks ago I did a track session when I was sick and paid for it. I also did the half when I prob shouldn't have! Def listening to the body this time tho, promise ! :)

• Advertisement

its prob better to be on the side of caution, and you can afford to be also cos your goal race insit till december, better to fix things now rather than have them for the entire training....

8miles with 4miles at tempo at CIT track. averaged 6:18 pace for the tempo.

Felt fine during the warm-up, so was eager to go, the tempo is challenging enough as the pace changes every 200m when a new runner goes to the front. It was a tough session and felt tougher than last week. I'm gonna rest tomorrow again, even though I feel better than yest.

I've also decided not to RACE cork to cobh, but I mite run it with a few of the lads who are running it at marathon pace (practice for their Dub marathon). The County Novice is on sun wk and I've signed up for that, body won't be able for racing the two hard two weeks in a row...

I've also decided not to RACE cork to cobh, but I mite run it with a few of the lads who are running it at marathon pace (practice for their Dub marathon). The County Novice is on sun wk and I've signed up for that, body won't be able for racing the two hard two weeks in a row...

whats the pace for cork 2 cobh, im deffo not racing it but if can ill try a revised PMP of 6:48-6:50m/m

im not sure ill even make it to the start and that its a good idea to run a pace at all this week.....but im ever the opmimist!

seanynova wrote: »
    whats the pace for cork 2 cobh, im deffo not racing it but if can ill try a revised PMP of 6:48-6:50m/m

im not sure ill even make it to the start and that its a good idea to run a pace at all this week.....but im ever the opmimist!

Yeah, 6:45-> 6:50 pace would be the pace I'd say.
    To be honest, I could easily give this a skip too.

If I'm there I'll run with ya sure I'm sure, be a few others doing same, safety in
    Numbers. ;)

Saw ure back running, take it handy over next few days.

Rested yesterday, very late at work which didn't help tiredness I already had, so a rest was no harm at all.

This evening, ~5.5miles at track with 6*400m at 75s/lap target in Lane 3 (200m recoveries)

Only 3 of this starting out tonite.
    Hit splits of: [75, 76, 72, 74, 73, 69], average = 73s, so +1 on last week and still on target.

Took in turns to lead it out, it was wet during day, but dry enough for track, body felt fine warming up and was ready to go, maybe I was fired up by all the coffee I had at work ! For last two were joined by Denis who is coming back from injury, the last 400m was a cracker, he led it out and I passed him in the last 200m. It just goes to show that there is more in the tank sometimes, legs spent at end. If i'd a mile race coming up, i'd be in good form i'd reckon, getting used to these 400's now...

Rested yesterday, very late at work which didn't help tiredness I already had, so a rest was no harm at all.

This evening, ~5.5miles at track with 6*400m at 75s/lap target in Lane 3 (200m recoveries)

Only 3 of this starting out tonite.
    Hit splits of: [75, 76, 72, 74, 73, 69], average = 73s, so +1 on last week and still on target.

Took in turns to lead it out, it was wet during day, but dry enough for track, body felt fine warming up and was ready to go, maybe I was fired up by all the coffee I had at work ! For last two were joined by Denis who is coming back from injury, the last 400m was a cracker, he led it out and I passed him in the last 200m. It just goes to show that there is more in the tank sometimes, legs spent at end. If i'd a mile race coming up, i'd be in good form i'd reckon, getting used to these 400's now...

another good track session tno, I'm sure you've give the 5mins a crack.

Remind me again, what is your ultimate goal, your not doing Dublin are you?

another good track session tno, I'm sure you've give the 5mins a crack.

Remind me again, what is your ultimate goal, your not doing Dublin are you?

I'd say I could def improve on the 5:09 I ran before, def feel stronger doing 400's lately.

Nope, not doing Dublin. At the back of my mind is to aim for a 1:20/1:21 half time for Waterford in December, but my thinking now is to not get caught up in going for a time, but to just see where the training takes me between this and then.

I'm feeling a bit run-down lately and am gonna take a break for a week/two after the County Novice XC Sunday week. My girlfriend says she's gonna hide all my running shoes ! ;)

I've had a good think bout this lately, its been a very good year's running for me, and have hit a lot of goals (sub 18m 5k, sub 30m 5miles, sub 3hr marathon, even a sub 2:20 800m!), but a break from training is needed. Hopefully then I'll be itching to go again thru winter training :)

I'd say I could def improve on the 5:09 I ran before, def feel stronger doing 400's lately.

Nope, not doing Dublin. At the back of my mind is to aim for a 1:20/1:21 half time for Waterford in December, but my thinking now is to not get caught up in going for a time, but to just see where the training takes me between this and then.

I'm feeling a bit run-down lately and am gonna take a break for a week/two after the County Novice XC Sunday week. My girlfriend says she's gonna hide all my running shoes ! ;)

I've had a good think bout this lately, its been a very good year's running for me, and have hit a lot of goals (sub 18m 5k, sub 30m 5miles, sub 3hr marathon, even a sub 2:20 800m!), but a break from training is needed. Hopefully then I'll be itching to go again thru winter training :)

Sounds like a good idea, although you do seem to be enjoying the track sessions. I know from previous experience, after a long training stint thinking that I need a long break, I end up taking a few days or maybe a week and then I'm chomping at the bit.

You'll probably find that rather than hiding your shoes, the girlfriend will be doing up your laces for you to get you the hell out the door, as all your pent up eneergy will be driving her round the bend, or maybe thats just me :rolleyes: ................. this sport of ours should come with a warning lable, "May lead to addiction" :D

Sounds like a good idea, although you do seem to be enjoying the track sessions. I know from previous experience, after a long training stint thinking that I need a long break, I end up taking a few days or maybe a week and then I'm chomping at the bit.

You'll probably find that rather than hiding your shoes, the girlfriend will be doing up your laces for you to get you the hell out the door, as all your pent up eneergy will be driving her round the bend, or maybe thats just me :rolleyes: ................. this sport of ours should come with a warning lable, "May lead to addiction" :D

I'm def taking a week, it'll prob be replaced by long walks now or something, I'm not one to stay in and watch the soaps like! ;)

The track sessions I do find great, they can be tough but there's a good group of us there and we tend to push each other.

Think I better book a wknd away with herself, else I mite be too tempted to join the club long run otherwise !

• Advertisement

are you running tomorrow TNO or are you taking a break? im going to give it a go, was thinking of wearing flats same as cork half but might be too risky of the foot.....pity as i want to wear them in dublin and would be good to try em out on the longer stuff

i know you have the waterford half penciled in as a key race but you might be better off taking a rest now and hitting a solid 10m plan for ballycotton/mallow/dungarvan next spring...after that you can step up to a half easily and then maybe hit a marathon plan for autumn....

thats my plan after DCM anyway....will target sub60 ballycotton with mallow/dungarvan progression races and maybe a few 10k's also, but ill write more about it in my log after DCM.

Advertisement