Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

seanynova wrote: »
    are you running tomorrow TNO or are you taking a break? im going to give it a go, was thinking of wearing flats same as cork half but might be too risky of the foot.....pity as i want to wear them in dublin and would be good to try em out on the longer stuff

i know you have the waterford half penciled in as a key race but you might be better off taking a rest now and hitting a solid 10m plan for ballycotton/mallow/dungarvan next spring...after that you can step up to a half easily and then maybe hit a marathon plan for autumn....

thats my plan after DCM anyway....will target sub60 ballycotton with mallow/dungarvan progression races and maybe a few 10k's also, but ill write more about it in my log after DCM.

Gonna give it a skip seany, had a major nite out on town last nite, badly needed! Will just head for a few recovery laps of farm instead in the morn!

All best yourself, it's a tough call with flats or not. I like your thinking on your plan for rest of yr, looking forward to reading more in your log :-)

13.2 miles (6laps) of farm this morn with a few club-mates. Very glad of co mpany and pace was hot at times, averaged 7:20min/mile.

Finally sweated out alcohol intake from Friday. No more drinking for me now till Sat week.

Noticed that my right knee is a bit sore, gonna watch it, 2nd time I've seen this, and its about 5/6miles into a run, mite try and get it checked out this wk.

tisnotover wrote: »
    Noticed that my right knee is a bit sore, gonna watch it, 2nd time I've seen this, and its about 5/6miles into a run, mite try and get it checked out this wk.

And it was very sore waking up Mon morning, so zero running. Had to goto Limerick yest with work so earliest could get physio was this morning. Felt uncomfortable as well yest, had a day of meetings each time I bent/straightened the knee I could feel it.

Physio had a good look at it, I was right to rest, but I prob should have iced it a bit more. My right leg is shorter than the left appaently, so there's a potential source of stress there (would explain why my right calf is always the one that gets sore). Got a good workover on the knee and muscles around it/legs, def some sore spots there. My right side was more rigid than the left, but by end of session, that was sorted.

Rest today, 5/6miles tomorrow eve, follow-up to physio friday evening. ice/stretches in mean-time. Tomorrow's run will tell a lot, if I'm not right, then I'll pull out of Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

And it was very sore waking up Mon morning, so zero running. Had to goto Limerick yest with work so earliest could get physio was this morning. Felt uncomfortable as well yest, had a day of meetings each time I bent/straightened the knee I could feel it.

Physio had a good look at it, I was right to rest, but I prob should have iced it a bit more. My right leg is shorter than the left appaently, so there's a potential source of stress there (would explain why my right calf is always the one that gets sore). Got a good workover on the knee and muscles around it/legs, def some sore spots there. My right side was more rigid than the left, but by end of session, that was sorted.

Rest today, 5/6miles tomorrow eve, follow-up to physio friday evening. ice/stretches in mean-time. Tomorrow's run will tell a lot, if I'm not right, then I'll pull out of Sunday.

thats a disaster lad, i blame the cork half!!!
    hope you recovery fast and but it behind ya....hopefully the few miles tomorrow wont impact on recovery....fingers crossed

thats a disaster lad, i blame the cork half!!!
    hope you recovery fast and but it behind ya....hopefully the few miles tomorrow wont impact on recovery....fingers crossed

Cork Half has a lot to answer for, but it was me that decided to tog out and run ;)

Did 3.6miles on grass this eve, feel better, but still have a bit of a niggle in knee, bk to physio tomorrow eve, but I just wasn't feeling it tonite and that was 8min/mile. Not sure if toeing up in Carrignavar with the speed merchants will be the solution either! Stretches and icing in the mean-time...

• Advertisement

Cork Half has a lot to answer for, but it was me that decided to tog out and run ;)QUOTE]

well it got me injured also....so there must be something in the tarmac! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

well it got me injured also....so there must be something in the tarmac! :)

Were you not icing your foot BEFORE the HM? I'd say you carried an injury into it....

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Were you not icing your foot BEFORE the HM? I'd say you carried an injury into it....

your probably half right, not sure it was the same injury/niggle and i had 3 rest days(only one 4m run) pre HM.....post HM i did a 4m, 10m and a 13m easy/tempo run....got injured the day after the 13m easy/tempo run 3miles from home....BUT, i think it was carring that injury into a 22m easy/tempo run that finished me off for the week following(poor form doing tempo miles at mile 16-20!)....lesson learned anyway...

More physio yesterday and knee/mobility is much improved. She went to town on it yesterday, but it needed it. It was def easier to get into the stretches yesterday, its upto me now to inlcude these as part of warm-ups and that.

Met up with club-mates this morn for couple of laps of farm, bas**rd of a wind there, but run went well, no niggles. Did a lap then as well in the spikes, which are grand, just feel like running in the hyperspeeds.

So, all systems go for the novice tomorrow I feel and I'm going to enjoy it. Then two wks of down-time after, where the shoes are being locked away ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

More physio yesterday and knee/mobility is much improved. She went to town on it yesterday, but it needed it. It was def easier to get into the stretches yesterday, its upto me now to inlcude these as part of warm-ups and that.

Met up with club-mates this morn for couple of laps of farm, bas**rd of a wind there, but run went well, no niggles. Did a lap then as well in the spikes, which are grand, just feel like running in the hyperspeeds.

So, all systems go for the novice tomorrow I feel and I'm going to enjoy it. Then two wks of down-time after, where the shoes are being locked away ! ;)

I was wondering if you ever took a break! It´ll do you the world of good and should help out a lot with that niggle you have.

• Advertisement

I was wondering if you ever took a break! It´ll do you the world of good and should help out a lot with that niggle you have.

The body is telling me to take a break, this year has been the most demanding yet on it and i'm finally listening to it, tho I am a bit of a stubborn f-er at times (if ya hadn't guessed ;) )

During the summer I hit some good times on the track, but I ran the cork half with no specific training and also on the back of a cold. The last few wks, the track work has been really good and getting easier. I'd say I'd be v. close to pushing the 4:59 mark for the mile like.

The break will be good, and I won't come back till i'm hungry again. I'm not gonnna worry bout race-times or anything, it'll be more to build up a good base again over over winter. The aim in spring then will be to target a fast 10mile time.

The aim in spring then will be to target a fast 10mile time.

sounds like a good idea! ill be on that boat aswell...thats if i can find the time!

best of luck tomorrow lad....

Was looking forward to this one, bit of a late nite last nite tho, no drink involved, but was just out to dinner and stuff.

Course was 6k, 4*1.5k laps. Each lap had a couple of nasty climbs, good sprinkling of cow-**** around course too. I knew it was gonna be an experience when I found the warm-up tough going!

Went out a tad fast, hard not to get caught up in the excitement.Think it was 6mins or so for 1st mile, no looking at watch today, for fear of falling or getting elbowed out of it. Did settle, but was running on limit with a stitch in my side. I faded a bit on the 3rd and 4th lap, but the average pace was 6:20, so happy enough with that. Think I was 3rd home for the team. Very strong field there today, and great experience.

Next one will prob be the intermediate xc in november. Nothing like the smell of cow-****, the spikes are well christened now anyway :-)

Went out a tad fast, hard not to get caught up in the excitement.Think it was 6mins or so for 1st mile, no looking at watch today, for fear of falling or getting elbowed out of it. Did settle, but was running on limit with a stitch in my side. I faded a bit on the 3rd and 4th lap, but the average pace was 6:20, so happy enough with that. Think I was 3rd home for the team. Very strong field there today, and great experience.

Good going. Sounds like good fun. Would have liked to have run it. Had a look at the results, quite a field for a 'novice' race alright!!

looked at the fixtures list - how are the Munster Intermediate XC championships on the week BEFORE the County Intermediate race????

Also, Senior XC race is on the same day as the HSE 4?? Thats a pity as I would have liked to do both but will prob stick with the HSE 4 and do no XC this year (standard might be a little lower at the HSE 4??)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done on the XC tno,i really enjoyed my lash at it also,a nice change from the norm.
    what was the ground like ?,the day i raced it was perfect,you didnt need spikes at all so i didnt get a true taste of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done on the XC tno,i really enjoyed my lash at it also,a nice change from the norm.
    what was the ground like ?,the day i raced it was perfect,you didnt need spikes at all so i didnt get a true taste of it.

well done lads, tbh I'm jealous now :rolleyes:

I was thinking about running the Galway County XC but decided against it cause I thought it would be a mudbath. Of course it was dry as the sahara and a lot of the lads wore flats.
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=15690

Good going. Sounds like good fun. Would have liked to have run it. Had a look at the results, quite a field for a 'novice' race alright!!

looked at the fixtures list - how are the Munster Intermediate XC championships on the week BEFORE the County Intermediate race????

Also, Senior XC race is on the same day as the HSE 4?? Thats a pity as I would have liked to do both but will prob stick with the HSE 4 and do no XC this year (standard might be a little lower at the HSE 4??)

Cheers Gringo, you would have ran well in it I reckon. Pacing is critical tho I reckon, a lot of names that finish ahead of me at all distances, only passed me on the 2nd lap, but they finished very strong!
    Not sure the word novice stands upto anything, it mite be easier to run the intermediate !

I didn't know the date for the munster intermediate, that doesn't seem to make sense tho!

the senior xc is in cloyne, you'll have to head down to that, feck the HSE race, tog out against the East Cork lads ;)

ground was hard with long-ish grass, but there was a bit of rain over-nite which helped, else it'd be like iron. I'd say later in yr, the courses will get a lot more cut up!! Are you doing the Munster Novice this wknd? I'm away for it.

ground was hard with long-ish grass, but there was a bit of rain over-nite which helped, else it'd be like iron. I'd say later in yr, the courses will get a lot more cut up!! Are you doing the Munster Novice this wknd? I'm away for it.

No,i am having a go at a 10 miler down here...

the senior xc is in cloyne, you'll have to head down to that, feck the HSE race, tog out against the East Cork lads ;).

I'll do the road race if I get the chance...would like to gauge where I am at the moment and much easier to benchmark on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Finish Time: 2:59:56, Chip Time: 2:59:51...Provisional placing: 44th

av-pace: 6:51min/mile, avhr: 173.
    Garmin clocked distance at 29.45miles at av-pace 6:48min/mile
    Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36138160

Sunday
    : As I posted here did a 2mile run on Sunday to loosen legs and was still concerned about my right calf...all I could do was tiger balm it and stretch as much as possible. It was fine to run on and was hoping it'd feel better in the morning ! Weather forecast was for rain...GOOD...no heat ! We were going to get wet, it was just a matter for how long or when.
    Got the race-gear and bag ready early Sun evening and was in bed by 10. Don't think I got to sleep till 12 though !

Monday (pre-race) :
    Woke up at 5:30 and could hear the rain outside. A quick look out the window and could see the trees blowing a bit...wind from the East and it looked gusty enough. Said to myself the worst mite be over by 9am ! Time to get up.

Breakfast was a good bowl of porridge, bagel, banana all accompanied by 500ml's of Hi-5. Also had a quick cup of coffee to wake me up a bit. Did not drink/eat anymore apart from a Nutri-Grain bar driving in and a few sips of water waiting around in City Hall.

Went with the DS Trainer in end. This is what I had used for my PMP runs in training. Dropping to the HyperSpeeds was a thought, but i've never worn them racing in the wet. Also it was my first marathon and not sure how the lesser cushioning would affect my calves.

Applied a good bit of bodyglide allover and plasters for the nipples...which worked well, shower wasn't painful after ! Packed the gel-belt with 6*SIS gels. That thing is heavy like when loaded...but I knew the load would lighten. A couple of pre-race customary visits to the jacks and on I drove in. Was in city for 7:45...got a handy spot on Union Quay (thanks Condo131!) Off over then to city hall where I got changed+met up with club-mates. On with the bin-liner and off we hiked to the start...the wind seemed to have further picked up !

Very easy to get close to the start line in Cork, was looking out for Gringo or Sosa but didn't see them yet. Took one of the gels 5mins before the start and ditched the bin-liner, ready for off. The game-plan was easy...Mick Rice had a 3-hr balloon tied to him, I was going to follow that balloon ! :)

Monday (Race)
    :

Miles 1-5: Met Gringo just after the hooter went and was introduced to Sosa, spent a bit talking to Gringo for a while and turned to talk to Sosa but couldn't see him...pushed on then to tuck in with Mick's group and thats where I ran for most of the race ! It took a while to settle into the pace and was still worried about my calf. Could still feel something there, but it wasn't painful, all I could hope for was that it'd come good.
    These miles were pretty unevenful to be honest apart from when we were running East and got tastes of that wind. Was thinking to myslef it was going to be "fun" running down towards the tunnel !

Had a quick look around the group, a few familar faces, couple of lads who ran the Bay-Run who I'd met before, recognised one lad from Midleton AC, there was a strong looking Athenry AC girl with us, I reckon there was about 20 or so tucked in at Mick-Rice's pace going through 5miles. I was up near the front, maybe too far, Denis a runner from club was doing relay and was giving me good support as well as trying to shield the wind from me ! Colin, another Eagle AC member was tucked in too, we were all aboard this train ! Pat O'Connor who missed sub-3 by 8seconds in Barcelona was ahead of our group and was running with Angela McCann (Clonmel AC). Through 5mile marker in 34:13, garmin showing 5.08miles !

Miles 6-10:

It was very tough running into the wind and did try and tuck in as much as possible into group. The first of the relay change-overs came up and great shouts of support from them, I was starting to settle now at this stage. There's a bit of a climb before you drop into the tunnel and as soon as we hit it, I found myself taking off, not good, I was ahead of the pack, what was I thinking like ! Its an automatic response with me lately if I see a hill to attack it like ! anyway I backed off and came back into the group. Down we went through the tunnel, bit of commotion here as one of the wheelchair's was flying down the hill behind us, so we'd to make a gap for him. I was running next to Angela at this stage (very nice lady, met her in Cork half last year), she was ahead of the group, but given conditions she made a good choice I reckon to tuck in with the group. Climbing out of the tunnel I thought the wind would be behind us, but I could still feel it from the side, no escape ! Took my first gel once we got up onto the flat. We were catching a few ahead of us, and as we ran past Mahon Point, Pat was caught and tucked in...safety in numbers.

I was settled into the pace. I was happy running with the group and it felt fine. The next mile-stone in my head was the half-way mark.

Miles 11-15:

We'd a very tough stretch here by estruary. I train a lot here like and I haven't ran in conditions like that in a long long time, you'd usually expect it in winter. I wasn't looking at my HR in this section, I just had in my head get to 13miles and we'll be turned from it. There was not much protection from wind like even with the big group. Past the half-way mark in 1:29:40-ish I reckon, happy out with that. Over the bridge over the south-link and onto a sheltered stretch for a few miles.Another gel taken at 13.5miles. Mick injected a bit of pace here, and garmin was showing us doing 6:40min/mile for couple of miles along here ! The group wasn't as together as it was. I noticed that the Athenry AC girl was gone, Pat my club-mate had lost the group as well. Colin was still up there though and looking strong. It was the first time I found myself working like going through mile 14/15, but I came good again. Gringo came up to me I think about mile 15 and offered me a salt tablet, which I took off him half a mile later. I owe him for this, it may very well have helped in holding off cramps !

Miles 16-20:

Going through the realy-changeover around here was like going through a ghost-town, not much support, relay runners were getting soaked waiting around, tough going. There wasn't many relay runners I noticed passing the group through the race, Lizzie Lee was one though and she was flying, think she ran last two legs.

I knew this was going to be a tough stretch, and the hardest leg of the race. there's a lot of twists and small drags in it. There was still a good number with Mick though as we ran out the South Link road, I lost a bit of concentration at one point, slowed down and drifted left, nearly knocking Mick...not the thing to do to your pacer ! Sorry ! It did wake me up though and I tucked back in behind him.
    I was worried about the climb off the slip-road but it was fine, all those long runs with hills were paying off. Was chatting to Gringo a bit around 17 again, he looked really comfortable. Took a 3rd gel at 18. For the first time I noticed a tightness starting to come in my legs. My heart-rate was fine, breathing was fine, I was starting to count down how many miles to go there were in my head !

I kinda relaxed on the downhill bit my mile 19 and I saw a gap open up between me and a few of the lads. Colin ran past me looking strong as ever. I probably relaxed too much to be honest. the body was more than willing to take it though, copped myslef on a bit and was tucked in again down Wilton Road and through 20miles. Wow, we're 20miles in, I'm still with the 3hr pacer...this is where the hard work begins though !

Miles 21-24:

I know the last 10k like the back of my hand, I work on the Model Farm Road and know all about the drag up from Dennehy's cross. I was ready for it though and legs turned over fine up it. This was a big mile-stone in my head to get up this climb, back down a downhill section with the final relay change-over in sight, I was feeling very comfortable. Through 22miles and Mick shouts out how far under 3hr pace we were, I shout at him "Great pacing Mick"...he replies "we're not there yet". He was right of course. I was feeling fine, but I had forgotten one big thing...we were turning onto the straight road soon, and would be running into the wind from the East... SH*TE! :eek: There was also another shift, both Gringo and Sosa were now running next to me and looking very very strong...much stronger than I felt I thought !

On we turned and could feel it straight away. this was the first time I felt myself starting to struggle and the body and mind telling me to slow down. I was losing meters to Mick and his balloon, Gringo and Sosa were with him as was Angela and Kevin from Midleton AC. I took another gel here and told myself it was now or never. Colin was next to me too and we got back on board the train...back upto the front carriage ! :) Gringo maybe saw I wasn't as comfortable I reckon...but shouted out a few words of encouragement to me which really helped, thanks ! 23miles gond, 3.2 to go, ok, it does look like I'll make it...but will I make sub-3 was now on my mind. I can't remember how far up we were going through mile 23, it mite have been 30seconds. Mile 24 was by the Kingsley hotel, right at the end of the straight, and I thought it would never come...the group of us were still together (there wasn't 20 of us now!).

Miles 25-26.2:

Through mile 24 and I think Mick said we were 26seconds under. then I noticed Gringo push on. with Mick shouting after him "you're looking very stong", which he did...Kevin went as welll, then Angela was next to go and then Sosa ! It was me next to Mick now and colin behind me. For some reason I made a decision to try and push on as well. This was probably a mistake. I wasn't that strong. I did push ahead of Mick and Colin, but they both caught me going through 25miles, when Mick shouted "4-seconds under".

Not good, had I blown it, was sub-3 out of the water. Mick picked up the pace. I tried to go with him, but I was no longer able to...a gap was opening...Colin was behind me, we were in single-file now. 10metres...15metres now Mick was ahead of me...come on Kevin try and close that gap, I was trying to tell myself. This stretch was torture, all sorts of things were going through my mind, there was no safety in numbers anymore, it was me versus the clock. It wasn't about finishing the marathon anymore, life felt a lot more important than that right now, which was a good thing as I could have easily let it slip. Running along the Quay I kept trying to figure out, which bridge were we crossing, I couldn't see any movement on any of them. Finally that turn was in sight and so was the 26mile mark. I didn't look at my watch, all I could see was the gap to Mick, aero2k was on the bridge and roared out at me, it was time for one final go...

I could hear the annoucer shouting 2:59:xx for various finishers...it was that close..was I going to do it...I don;t know how but I managed to run that last 0.2miles at 6:10min/mile pace. Rounding a corner I saw the finish and the clock to the left, I knew I was going to do it, arms up in the air and relief, I'd done it !!! :D

Met Gringo and Sosa soon after, all floating, shook hands with Mick, and the lad from Midleton AC and a few others. Colin finished just 30seconds over the 3hr mark, I know its not sub-3 Colin, but you improved 12mins on your DCM 09 time. It'll def happen next time !

Micheal from club came upto me asking how'd I gotten on and I hugged him, I was floating...same when I heard my parents call after me, wasn't expecting them to be standing out wating for me in the rain....THANK YOU !!!

I'll never forget this marathon, I learnt an awful lot about myself in it. Through the training and advice here and from club I've learnt so much more as well ! The body is tired, legs are sore but its all worth it.

Today just hammered home again why I love running ! :D

bump! for the sub 3 DCM hopefulls :D I've read it before but its great stuff tno.

• Advertisement

Thanks Misty...I really enjoyed reading that again, good memories! Wish I was running Dublin now....

Thanks for digging that out Misty, jasus, it does bring back some good memories, I remember exactly who was in that sub-3 group that day, who made it, those who faded and those who sprinted on at the end! :)

Looking forward to reading the reports from Dublin! :)

Enjoyed it myself lads,i would love to be having a cut off Dublin.

I'm gonna pencil it in for next year, definately!

I heard a rumour that they mite incorporate a half marathon the same day as the full in Cork next yr, very tempting! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Yeah gonna dig out Sosa's and Gringo's reports tomorrow. I read Aero2k's tonight too, got a bit bored of the Ireland game.....great stuff (Post 35)

Ah its great, you really should. The pseudo capital lads, is it...........like? :p

Last few weeks were a break for me, I did get some runs in, but mostly running was replaced with rest (and some great nites out!!). The legs really did need it, this year has seen the most mileage put into my legs yet and they were starting to complain.

Oct 16th: 8miles easy at 8:20min/mile
    Oct 19th: track session, 9miles with 4*2k at 7:30-> 7:45 / 2km target in lane 3. hit average pace of 7:42, thats just under 6min/mile, tough session
    Oct 20th: 3.5miles at 7:35min/mile
    Oct 24th: 13.2miles at 7:50min/mile
    Oct 25th: 4.4miles at 8:15min/mile.

So i'm back into it this week now, but won't be going mad and stepping up mileage, need to get back to running consistently 4/5 days wk, mileage can come later.

No real targets yet, the long term one is 60min for 10miles in spring. the longer track intervals will be good winter training, I might go and do a couple of the 3k's down in midleton too.

If I ever needed inspirtation all I have to do is start reading some of the reports from Dublin today, some very good running and times there lads, well done! :)

Very tough conditions for intervals tonite, I don't mind the rain, but the wind was really tough, was blowing me sideways at times !!

Plan was 3*2k at 7:45min/mile in lane 3, with 3mins recoveries. We were all over the place for this tonite, don't think any of us fancied it with the wind.

Splits: 7:37, 7:47, 8:00, average 7:48. Very tough, but i'm disappointed as we didn't pace the first one better and def had a knock-on to the 3rd repeat.

Its a bit of a slog I feel at the moment for me till I get back into it again, it'll take a while but i'm in no rush. Opting out of doing the county senior at wknd, think I'd be lost at it! Will do the intermediate alrite.

Opting out of doing the county senior at wknd, think I'd be lost at it! Will do the intermediate alrite.

What about HSE 4 mile? I'm gonna give it a go to see where I'm at. Fast course.....

What about HSE 4 mile? I'm gonna give it a go to see where I'm at. Fast course.....

Hiya, yeah I ran that last yr, thinking either that or the next 3k in Mid, will do the 4mile if I'm not working over wknd.

Hope ure still tipping away ?

• Advertisement

Hiya, yeah I ran that last yr, thinking either that or the next 3k in Mid, will do the 4mile if I'm not working over wknd.

Hope ure still tipping away ?

Not as consistent as I'd like but progressing, really badly need a race though to benchmark so hopefully will be able to run Sunday. Have lost a bit of weight so would be interested to see how much of a difference that makes. 24:52 PB for 4 miles but that's a bit out of date. Would be happy to break 23, maybe 22:15. There isn't a flatter course so if you get behind someone you can really set a good time.

Advertisement