Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Not as consistent as I'd like but progressing, really badly need a race though to benchmark so hopefully will be able to run Sunday. Have lost a bit of weight so would be interested to see how much of a difference that makes. 24:52 PB for 4 miles but that's a bit out of date. Would be happy to break 23, maybe 22:15. There isn't a flatter course so if you get behind someone you can really set a good time.

Know what you mean about the consistent thing, I'm struggling at moment, work has knocked me out last while, we're mad busy like, looking forward to the quiet time, so I can get some training in ;-) If ya ever needed inspiration, read some of the marathon reports, a lot more lads in the sub-3 club since we joined ;)

Might see ya down there, could be a smaller field with XC on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Yeah,its very quiet in here tno...are you still doing the half ?
    If so,whats the target ?

What about you Gringo ?

Got 4.5miles in at farm at 7:30min/mile. Didn't have time for much else, shattered from work, at least I didn't have to work the wknd!

Gonna do the HSE 4 mile tomorrow, forecast is poor, but think it'd be a good fitness test and mite be a badly needed kick up the ass! ;)

Sosa wrote: »
    Yeah,its very quiet in here tno...are you still doing the half ?
    If so,whats the target ?

Still plan to do the half, it was originally a goal race of mine to target 1:20, buit I don't see being able to commit the training to it over next few weeks with work mainly.

Will be in Amsterdam for a few days the wknd before as well, so that miten't help!

So no target, but def will be giving it a go. Just need to get back training consistent again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

tisnotover wrote: »
    Got 4.5miles in at farm at 7:30min/mile. Didn't have time for much else, shattered from work, at least I didn't have to work the wknd!

Gonna do the HSE 4 mile tomorrow, forecast is poor, but think it'd be a good fitness test and mite be a badly needed kick up the ass! ;)

best of luck TNO....let us know how you get on

• Advertisement

HSE 4 mile - 24:06

Tough day at office, but glad I went and raced it, pretty wet for this one, wasn't too worried about that, it was the flooding on course that was the bigger issue, water was right across the road in a number of places which had to be gone through a number of times as its a two-lap course, so more like a x-country race for this one, shoes were soaked by end of it :-)

Mile splits: 5:55, 6:01, 6:03, 6:07

Started off well, and was happy with mile-split, but what felt like trying to pick it up a bit, the next mile was just over the 6min mark. There was a few in/around me, and was trying to keep with them and prevent them going past me. Again for the 3rd mile, I worked hard to stay with group and was working hard, running through the water was a balls! The 4th mile was hard, one lad who was on my shoulder a number of times already, I felt there again, f-it I said, I thought I'd shaken him off! ;)

This time though he was putting the hammer down a bit more and I felt he wanted it more, the inevitable, a gap opened and he was gone. 1/2 mile to go and Pat my club-mate went past me too, I think I was ready to coast to the finish at this stage, could see that I would struggle to break 24min and foot came off the gas, after all, I had in my head coming down this morn of doing 5:50's and I was well short of that!

Still, glad I came down and ran this morn, I needed the race to give me some motivation for training for rest of year ! Legs are ok after, just hope the knee doesn't act up. Thank god, I didn't head to the senior x-country, however bad the 4mile was, 10k in conditions like today would be much worse!

After joining a gym as well over wknd, so hope to mix the training up a bit, tuesday's will still be the 2k sessions, but will do gym work mon/wed hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Nice run and report! considerin the conditions, 24 mins is a solid time.. Some strength conditioning in the gym will have ya finishin stronger than ever :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with 24 mins....especially since you have not being doing much as of late....with 6 weeks to the half...what are your expectations ?
    Whats your PB ? 81 or 82 something ?
    mine is 83:37....looking to obliterate that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good time TNO today in the conditions!

by the way the edge has a sale on Asics DS range, think the ds trainers were for around 50euro? you should call them and find out what they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

nice going under tough conditions tno. The first race back is I find is always a bit of a slog, you have to learn to get the fight back. It'll stand to you going forward though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Good going, a good workout. Gave it a skip today due to the weather....wanted to bring family down to it but the rain put paid to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run on a tough day tno.

Thanks for support lads, even tho the time wasn't up there, I tried to make the report interesting anyway sure ! :-)

I think gym will do me good to be honest, some weights and cross-training should mix things up a bit!

@sosa, if I could get a 1:22 again, i'd be a happy boy, if I knuckle down, I might get that in 6 wks, you owe that half time a smashing alrite!!

@seany, tx for that, will chase up the asics, could always do with another pair ;)

@gringo, def not a day for standing around, will have to try and catch up with ya at a 3k or one of the races around xmas?

Alan O Shea won the race, not sure of time, but fair going considering he did Dublin Marathon last wk!

What you planning on doing in gym? I've started doing squats and have less than half the strength I had 8 years ago...not sure if squats are good for running but I do 10-20 reps to make sure weight isn't too much. Is it leisureworld you've joined? Shane Simcox in there is a good runner who could prob design a good run specific program for you

What you planning on doing in gym? I've started doing squats and have less than half the strength I had 8 years ago...not sure if squats are good for running but I do 10-20 reps to make sure weight isn't too much. Is it leisureworld you've joined? Shane Simcox in there is a good runner who could prob design a good run specific program for you

I've joined Oakgrove down in Mahon as its right near work, so will be handy for evenings and mornings if I can get my ass out of bed ;)

Down there tonite for my first visit to a gym in a long while. Did a lap of the weight m/c's, fair enuf to say that my upper body strength is pathetic, leg strength isn't too bad, but can be worked on too. I'd say the arms will be hanging off me, have read that its better for runners to do lots of reps with lighter weights? Anyway, meeting one of gym guys down there thurs eve, so will see if we can muster up some plan of action.

Did 15mins on bike, and 10min on rowing machine. made a point of setting resistance levels low enuf, main thing was to get first session in, and build from there.

10mins on the threadmill then to round it off, legs are ok from yest, results up already, Alan O' Shea ran sub-20mins, the guy must just glide over the water! :-)

Alan O' Shea ran sub-20mins, the guy must just glide over the water! :-)

he ran sub 19 at our 4m in March...i know he ran 2:23 last week in Dublin and i doubt very much he was happy with that

t, results up already, Alan O' Shea ran sub-20mins, the guy must just glide over the water! :-)

Mark Hanrahan won the Senior XC yesterday by 2min! That's a massive gap at that level.

Plan was 3*2k at 7:45min/2km in lane 3, with recoveries down to 2mins tonite, thats 93s/lap

Splits: 7:44, 7:59, 7:56, average 7:53, an av-pace of about 6:10/mile.

On target (just) for first one, got dropped on 4th lap of 2nd one and same on 3rd one. The recoveries flew tonite, tough session on the back of the 4mile at the wknd. Hopefully next week will hit the splits a bit better, easy mileage / cross-training now for rest of week.

7.0 miles total.

Wed:

Gym, 30mins on threadmill (between 12 and 13km/hr), 15mins on bike, 10mins cross-trainer. Christ, the threadmill is boring, it really will have to be a last resort to go running on threadmill, I would have done weights, but my arms/shoulders were still sore from Monday!

Thurs:

Down to gym to meet with one of instructor's. Spent an hour going thru different things, main one what I wanted out of going to the gym and making programme out. If I'm heading to the gym its to do weights/cross-train, its not to use the threadmill.

If anything I got great motiviation of the hour and will try and stick with the plan. I've put on a few kg in last while, but not too bothered about that, it can come off if I need it to.

11.5miles at 7:48min/mile. Been a while since we ran the Monkstown Rafeen Hill route, but there was a good few of us for it this morn. I was wondering how I'd get on going up the hill, but it wasn't as hard as I thought. Next time we'll push the pace a bit further going up it, but it was a good lung opener all same today!

Went to the pool in gym after for a splash around and sauna after, making the most of the membership :-)

Feet up now and rugby for afternoon, looking forward to it! And the New York marathon tomorrow too, some day I'll make the trip :D

• Advertisement

Wow, some morning out, got in 5.5miles (7:50min/mile), could have done twice as much. Ground was lovely and soft, but not too soft, love it when its like that. Not worried about pace of these runs at moment. Any mileage I get in at all at moment is good mileage. The tuesday track session will be the key one for the next while, if I can nail that one, the rest will look after itself.

Down for the intermediate cross-country next sunday, we'll see how much I like the soft ground then! ;)

Yesterday evening was down at the gym, will keep Monday as gym session for next while.

Bike and rower to warm-up.

Then hit the weight machines, managed 3*12 repeats on most of the m/c's, so happy with that, was tiring towards end, so dropped weight a bit. Hopefully it'll be more manageable as weeks go on.

Some squats and core -work to finish.

Looking forward to track now later :-)

Plan was 4*2k at 7:45min/2km in lane 3, with 2min recoveries, thats 93s/lap in Lane3.

Splits: 7:48, 7:44, 7:43, 7:53, average 7:47.

First one was bang on apart from a poor 2nd lap and we couldn't make up time, but did hit 93s/lap for last 3 400's in the repeat.

Was tired in 2nd one, but kept going, hands on knees after 3rd and jasus we were doing a 4th! Went into it saying i'd get 3 laps in at least. managed to keep up with lads till 1200m, then a gap opened, but not too much, was off target, but happy I slogged it out, thats what these 2k's are all about, shattered after.

Right calf a bit sore after, no surprise there, I've the compression socks on, which have helped lately. I'll sleep tonite! :-)

8.0 miles total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Plan was 4*2k at 7:45min/2km in lane 3, with 2min recoveries, thats 93s/lap in Lane3.

Splits: 7:48, 7:44, 7:43, 7:53, average 7:47.

First one was bang on apart from a poor 2nd lap and we couldn't make up time, but did hit 93s/lap for last 3 400's in the repeat.

Was tired in 2nd one, but kept going, hands on knees after 3rd and jasus we were doing a 4th! Went into it saying i'd get 3 laps in at least. managed to keep up with lads till 1200m, then a gap opened, but not too much, was off target, but happy I slogged it out, thats what these 2k's are all about, shattered after.

Right calf a bit sore after, no surprise there, I've the compression socks on, which have helped lately. I'll sleep tonite! :-)

8.0 miles total.

nice session tno. Thats a lot of laps of the track you did, as you hinted at, no wonder your calf was a bit sore.
    I was looking at some lads wearing the compression socks in the NYC marathon, thinking that maybe they may help my cramping problems. Any thoughts ?

Speedy44 wrote: »
    nice session tno. Thats a lot of laps of the track you did, as you hinted at, no wonder your calf was a bit sore.
    I was looking at some lads wearing the compression socks in the NYC marathon, thinking that maybe they may help my cramping problems. Any thoughts ?

TNO, do ye run the intervals every second one clockwise / anti clockwise at the track?

Speedy44 wrote: »

I'm wearing them now after the track and long run for a few hrs and I do find they help recovery. Some lads wear them while training too, I haven't yet (haven't dared wear them in public!), might sneak them on under me running tights next week tho, as it was fair cold last nite!

Mixed reviews on internet if ya read up about them tho!
    TNO, do ye run the intervals every second one clockwise / anti clockwise at the track?

No we always go the one direction, the only balance is that we warm up in the opposite one. Fast pace, long intervals and a cold nite sure does put stress on that calf tho, stretching and a good warm-up are important.

County Intermediate Cross-Country - 14/11/10
    Waterford Half Marathon - 11/12/10
    Belgooly 4 mile 26/12/10
    Mallow 10 mile 09/01/11
    Dungarvan 10 mile 30/01/11
    Ballycotton 10 mile 06/03/11

Don't ask me about targets over short-term, but I will be doing my best to push 60mins for one of the 10milers! :-)

Wednesday: Rested, needed it, was wrecked after work. Highlight of night was watching Apprentice!

Thursday:
    Gym Session. Bike, Rower, Cross-Trainer and circuit of weight machines. A little bit tired doing the weights, guess the body hadn't recovered fully from Monday, hopefully it'll get easier.

Not sure if I'll get out for a run later or not. Def will tomorrow and race then sunday, embrace the cow-s*ite!

...very cold at 8am this morn. Couple of us did a few miles, the hilly Balinora loop. Backed off on the hills a small bit this morn, but av-pace was solid enough. 11.7miles at 7:32min/mile. I don't see the point in pushing it faster than that for long runs. Conservative me says that the key sessions to push are on like the tempo or interval days!

Tomorrow will do the intermediate xc, hope to tuck in behind one of my club-mates for first half of it and push on from there...hopefully I won't tear off like a mad-man at 6min/mile!

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow tno....

Advertisement