Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

When I woke up I thought it'd be freezing for this one, but in end it was a really nice day. No need for the gloves or hat in the race.

Course was 8k, made up if 2x1k laps and 4x1.5k laps. Warming up could see that course was fair enough, couple of drags but nothing serious. Ground was very rough and stoney in spots, grass was very long too, with the usual sprinkling of cow-****e! ;)

About 50 toed the line I'd say, one thing I wanted to do was go out steady, I didn't do that the last time and suffered in end. Today it was different and I felt in control( as much as ya can be) as we stormed off. A group of st.finbarrs lads were ahead of me but I let that gap open, and just slotted in behind a few lads for first 2x1k laps. Decided to up the effort then as we started the first of the longer laps. From here to the finish it was all about getting upto the next lad in front of me, tucking in for bait and then pushing on to next lad.

It def payed off, had no-one pass me and finished strong.had to work a bit to hold position turning into finish as a lad tried to make a move on me, but I held him off. Finished in 19th place. Averaged 6:30min/mile I reckon, didn't have the garmin.

A good day out, we carry on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done tno,nothing like a race that has no pressure atached and you can ease into it and finish strong,it does wonders for the confidence

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done tno,nothing like a race that has no pressure atached and you can ease into it and finish strong,it does wonders for the confidence

Cheers Sosa, def good for the confidence, ya need these types of races sometimes!

Monday: Gym-work, bike, rower + weights, didn't do a full session, tired after race+had a late nite sun!

Tuesday:
    16 laps of CIT track. we averaged 7:15min/mile. Prob should have skipped this given the conditions, real bad like, wind gusting, water-logged track, but the few of us that showed up said we'd do something anyway, for once the threadmill would have been more attractive!

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday:
    Gym session, getting into this now. Right knee was a bit sore yesterday, so said I'd head to gym rather than track to cross-train, good session.

Tomorrow is looking dodgy for a run, up walls at work. Off to London sat morn too with few of lads for a bit of a bonding session! Mite get a run in Sun eve when I get back ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good to see you're still flying tno
    Is it the Waterford Half you're targetting? Big boards crowd going to that one. Sub 80 would be a fierce good time - best of luck with it

DustyBin wrote: »
    Good to see you're still flying tno
    Is it the Waterford Half you're targetting? Big boards crowd going to that one. Sub 80 would be a fierce good time - best of luck with it

Will be running Waterford alrite Dusty, but nowhere near in 80min shape, don't get me wrong will give it a good race, but looking at my log last few weeks, I haven't been putting in the work to put in an 80min attempt. Main plan is to build upto the 10milers in Spring.

Today: 5miles at 8:00min/mile, first time running in the leggings this year!

Def a recovery run, was in London yest with lads, great session! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

how ya doing TNO?

training going ok for dungarvan? i have an exam the next day so wont make it but will give the 10m series a go id say if i can...

being doing a few sessions on the track in CIT last week and this week, i know ive asked you thing before but how far extra is lane 3 than lane 1?
    not much in it for 1 lap is there?
    started doing some repititions and intervals :( i hate them, im defo not a short distance runner, and no way will i have a go at the mile!!!

cheers lad....

Era I'm only ok Sean, swamped with late-days at work this week, have project finishing up,so no training, hopefully can get few runs in at wknd.

I know that there is 3s/lap between 3 and 1. So 6min mile pace is 90/lap in lane 1 and 93 in lane 3.

U shud join us at track some nite, way easier training in group, we're starting mile repeats at 5:45 pace next week I think!

No plan for Waterford,just gonna enjoy it, need to put the head down if I want to get a good time in those 10milers!!

seanynova wrote: »
    how ya doing TNO?

training going ok for dungarvan? i have an exam the next day so wont make it but will give the 10m series a go id say if i can...

being doing a few sessions on the track in CIT last week and this week, i know ive asked you thing before but how far extra is lane 3 than lane 1?
    not much in it for 1 lap is there?
    started doing some repititions and intervals :( i hate them, im defo not a short distance runner, and no way will i have a go at the mile!!!

cheers lad....

• Advertisement

thanks, ill wirte that track info down cos i know ive asked you before!

ya, take it handy in dungarvan, suss it out for next januarys run :)

ill see how i get on over crimbo and ill prob do mallow etc....but if i get into ballycotton, ill be targeting that race as it gives me time to train!

would love to train in a group but my schedule doesnt really allow that, one i finish college its either run or go home and study so i get my runs in around 4-5pm.....
    sure if im around when ye train ill say hi anyway lad....cheers

Gym session

First chance to get training in a few days, so opted for gym. Good session, rower, bike and weights.a little bit drained tho, the week at work has been mental! Will hopefully get an easy run/few miles in tomorrow.

Friday: 40mins running around Bishopstown, first taste of cold weather running, was glad to get run in, as work was a bitch all week, no idea of pace, reckon it was about 5miles.

Saturday:
    Left the garmin at home as well today, just happy to be out running. Got two laps of farm in (4.4miles).

Sunday: 7miles with last two miles at 6:40min/mile. I didn't have the garmin myself, but Pat had his eye on the pace. Hands were freezing when I finished, prob need better gloves. Was 0C when I got back to the car, it had frozen over again!

Am away with herself next Thursday in Amsterdam, really looking forward to the trip. Will hopefully get the track session in on Tuesday.

Back to the gym this evening, glad to be able to get down as work is still busy.

Bike, rower and weights m/c's, followed by squats. The sets I was doing this evening went a bit easier so all good, as did the rower, a good sign. Hopefully track will go ahead tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

tisnotover wrote: »
    Back to the gym this evening, glad to be able to get down as work is still busy.

Bike, rower and weights m/c's, followed by squats. The sets I was doing this evening went a bit easier so all good, as did the rower, a good sign. Hopefully track will go ahead tomorrow!

What recovery are ye doing after 5.45 miling ? Is 5.45 your planned 10km pace or a number plucked from the sky :D ?

What recovery are ye doing after 5.45 miling ? Is 5.45 your planned 10km pace or a number plucked from the sky :D ?

Its a number picked from the sky of course ;)

Yeah we were doing 2k repeats at 6:00min/mile pace last few weeks and got them down to 2min recovery.

The mile repeats start tomorrow and the pace is being upped, prob start with a long recovery and 3 repeats before bringing it down to 2min mark.

Next April I'll do a 10k at 5:45 pace ;) Its the 10mile target thats the tougher one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Yeah we were doing 2k repeats at 6:00min/mile pace last few weeks and got them down to 2min recovery.

The mile repeats start tomorrow and the pace is being upped, prob start with a long recovery and 3 repeats before bringing it down to 2min mark.

Next April I'll do a 10k at 5:45 pace ;) Its the 10mile target thats the tougher one!

No doubt you will do it........I think I would find the 10 miler easier. More endurance than speed.
    Have you decided to start the odd tempo run and what pace would you run one at now ?

No doubt you will do it........I think I would find the 10 miler easier. More endurance than speed.
    Have you decided to start the odd tempo run and what pace would you run one at now ?

At moment, its just to try and get out training when I can, hopefully when work settles out, I can get mileage back up, only able to average one quality session in / week, new year will be different, training log for this time last year looks very similar to this one, not many sessions!

Would hope to tackle a 10mile with ya in new year, prob Ballycotton, entries being taken from tomorrow if ure interested?

nice sessions planned there TNO, wouldnt mind falling in with ye for a few in the new year....only thing though, CIT track was frozen in pasts today, forced me indoors...prob a good thing as was out doing intervals on the straight road on saturday and it was FREEZING!!!!!!

seanynova wrote: »
    nice sessions planned there TNO, wouldnt mind falling in with ye for a few in the new year....only thing though, CIT track was frozen in pasts today, forced me indoors...prob a good thing as was out doing intervals on the straight road on saturday and it was FREEZING!!!!!!

Good stuff Seany, any time your free call on in sure, the more doing the repeats the easier it is!

• Advertisement

First track session in a few weeks, track was a bit icy in spots, but we said we'd see how it'd go doing the faster stuff, if it was too slippy we'd drop it like.

5miles total with 3*1miles targetting 93s/lap in lane 3 (6min/mile pace).

Hit splits of 6:16, 6:11, 6:12, off 2.5min recoveries.

Only two of us doing this tonite, but was def glad of company, wind down the back straight did not help, and we'd no skidding on the ice. good to open up the legs a bit, the 5:45 attempts can wait till better conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

First track session in a few weeks, track was a bit icy in spots, but we said we'd see how it'd go doing the faster stuff, if it was too slippy we'd drop it like.

Only two of us doing this tonite, but was def glad of company, wind down the back straight did not help, and we'd no skidding on the ice. good to open up the legs a bit, the 5:45 attempts can wait till better conditions!

good to get out there and open up the legs a bit like you said tno. The way the weather is, its all about the effort rather than worrying too much about any times. Heading to the track myself tomorrow. I'm hoping I won't wake up tomorrow with some ailment, for the past 3 Wednesday's sessions I've had one damn complaint after another and havn't been able to enjoy them, more like endure them.

Your lucky tno,our track has been closed the last 3 days.
    I may not get in any key session this week,not ideal...with mini taper next week...it will be more or less 2 weeks of easy running before the race,confidence is slipping on the sub 80 front,have plenty of intervals and tempos done but very little endurance....

Enjoy Amsterdam !

Speedy44 wrote: »
    good to get out there and open up the legs a bit like you said tno. The way the weather is, its all about the effort rather than worrying too much about any times. Heading to the track myself tomorrow. I'm hoping I won't wake up tomorrow with some ailment, for the past 3 Wednesday's sessions I've had one damn complaint after another and havn't been able to enjoy them, more like endure them.

Was just catching up on your log, you need a bit of luck these days, hopefully now you'll get a good session in, Winter training can be frustrating!
    Sosa wrote: »
    Your lucky tno,our track has been closed the last 3 days.
    I may not get in any key session this week,not ideal...with mini taper next week...it will be more or less 2 weeks of easy running before the race,confidence is slipping on the sub 80 front,have plenty of intervals and tempos done but very little endurance....

Enjoy Amsterdam !

Your for sure in sub-80 form Sosa, I've no doubt about that, hopefully the weather will be like it was last year for the race. The cold snap will break hopefully early next week. considering everyhting else going on (new baby, etc), you've done savage well to get all those good sessions in, not many of us here have been able to do same, hopefully see ya in Waterford!

Great break away in Amsterdam, badly needed! Was hoping to get down to track this eve, but was working late again,but did get to gym after work.

Not a bad session, stayed clear of treadmill and just cross-trained. Need to get back into a routine running and training wise.

Work should get easier from next week as project I was on is finishing thank god.

Sone interesting news running wise, sub-60 pacers for mallow, that's a new one, won't be in shape to join em tho. The other is a half marathon in cork in June, now that is very tempting, would love to target 1:20 for it. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sone interesting news running wise, sub-60 pacers for mallow, that's a new one, won't be in shape to join em tho. The other is a half marathon in cork in June, now that is very tempting, would love to target 1:20 for it. :-)

Yeah, the half in june is a great development. I've put my hand up as a pacer though for the marathon so hopefully will get to do that. If not, I'd be tempted to join a fast relay team so it'd be a difficult choise between relay or half.

As regards Mallow....you have to go for sub 60 especially as theres a pacer. I mean, Mallow is never going to be your PB race...thats going to be at Dungarvan or Ballycotton. Running at LT pace is damn uncomfortable so you need to get out of your comfort zone well before dungarvan or ballycotton and Mallow is the opportunity to do that. At best, you break 60, at worst you end up with a tempo run of 7 or 8 miles at 5:59 pace which will stand to you for Dungarvan or Ballycotton. If I run Mallow I'll be running 5:59 miles regardless of whether I think I'm in sub 60 shape.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Yeah, the half in june is a great development. I've put my hand up as a pacer though for the marathon so hopefully will get to do that. If not, I'd be tempted to join a fast relay team so it'd be a difficult choise between relay or half.

As regards Mallow....you have to go for sub 60 especially as theres a pacer. I mean, Mallow is never going to be your PB race...thats going to be at Dungarvan or Ballycotton. Running at LT pace is damn uncomfortable so you need to get out of your comfort zone well before dungarvan or ballycotton and Mallow is the opportunity to do that. At best, you break 60, at worst you end up with a tempo run of 7 or 8 miles at 5:59 pace which will stand to you for Dungarvan or Ballycotton. If I run Mallow I'll be running 5:59 miles regardless of whether I think I'm in sub 60 shape.

Thats a good point about Mallow, and hadn't considered it at all. If ya just went into and switched off the brain with regard to pace (due to pacers), I'd get dragged along for a good bit, the queston is how far. It'd give a good idea of how much work would have to be done for Ballycotton.

Will see ya there!

Gringo78 wrote: »
    . At best, you break 60, at worst you end up with a tempo run of 7 or 8 miles at 5:59 pace which will stand to you for Dungarvan or Ballycotton.

very good point!!!

5 miles on treadmill in 37mins, was shifting speed up/down to avoid me getting too f-ing bored!!

Waterford half postponed till jan 15th, will have to think bout this, mallow is the week before like.

• Advertisement

5 miles on treadmill in 37mins, was shifting speed up/down to avoid me getting too f-ing bored!!

Waterford half postponed till jan 15th, will have to think bout this, mallow is the week before like.

Your spoilt for choice tno...im not doing Mallow now...prob was not anyway.
    You can join me in the quest for sub 80 if you wish...maybe with the extra 4 weeks gringo will join us.

Advertisement