Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Your spoilt for choice tno...im not doing Mallow now...prob was not anyway.
    You can join me in the quest for sub 80 if you wish...maybe with the extra 4 weeks gringo will join us.

Hmmmm......my half PB is really out of date. This is going to be a tough choice! Leaning towards watrford with the extra week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Hmmmm......my half PB is really out of date. This is going to be a tough choice! Leaning towards watrford with the extra week

im not gone on mallow being so soon after crimbo like but i wouldnt have enough miles in the bag for a half.....hmmm

true though, some deciding to be done.....could always do mallow as a tempo run, stick with the sub60min pacer for 6-7miles (or around 40mins) and slow down and run home at 8:00m/m to help recover for the half the following week....

i wonder is 2 weeks enough time to recover from the half then to give dungarvan 10 a good go? prob is, but training in between might suffer a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Move along now...nothing to see here...

... and there isn't really! ;)

Worked 7 days this week and shattered. Running total is 5miles for week, things can only get better from that. End is near on project at work, but we thought that last week too, long hours and tiredness are impacting the running front. Looking forward to the christmas break so I can get some mileage in.

tisnotover wrote: »
    Move along now...nothing to see here...

... and there isn't really! ;)

Worked 7 days this week and shattered. Running total is 5miles for week, things can only get better from that. End is near on project at work, but we thought that last week too, long hours and tiredness are impacting the running front. Looking forward to the christmas break so I can get some mileage in.

Tis tough to get the miles in at this time of the year anyway without being up to the eyeballs at work. I've been seriously lacking myself over the last few weeks what with work, sickness and the snow & ice. Changed work location and have no shower facilities now for lunchtime runs but hope to rectify that soon - or else it'll be a lunchtime baby wipe shower which doesn't appeal. Ran the 4 mile Turkey trot yesterday but not sure I managed to break 24min (no watches allowed so no idea what time I ran!)so I'm a good way off sub 60 pace at the mo. Can't wait to get my treadmill next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Tis tough to get the miles in at this time of the year anyway without being up to the eyeballs at work. I've been seriously lacking myself over the last few weeks what with work, sickness and the snow & ice. Changed work location and have no shower facilities now for lunchtime runs but hope to rectify that soon - or else it'll be a lunchtime baby wipe shower which doesn't appeal. Ran the 4 mile Turkey trot yesterday but not sure I managed to break 24min (no watches allowed so no idea what time I ran!)so I'm a good way off sub 60 pace at the mo. Can't wait to get my treadmill next week....

What type of threadmill are you getting gringo...was it pricey ?

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    What type of threadmill are you getting gringo...was it pricey ?

720 incl delivery from Elverys. Proform 500 zlt 18kph speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

720 incl delivery from Elverys. Proform 500 zlt 18kph speed

Very good...you must let us know its going.

I know a guy who cycles a lot and swears by those baby wipes, that and a Lynx shower, i'm not so sure!!
    Good stuff running the 4-miler, its a great idea for a race, throwing the watch away, think I might try that over christmas at the belgooly 4 and for the shan 5k on sat if I can get down to it!

Project finishes finally tomorrow, so hope to start ramping up the runs, of course the weather is meant to take another icey turn again!

Let us know how the threamill goes!

...thank god! :-)

Headed to gym, ease myself back into it. Bike, rower, weights and a stint on threadmill. Good session, especially on rower. A bit tired down there, so took it handy on weights. Hope to get a run in tomorrow at some stage.

hey TNO, you back running yet?

i went to the farm yesterday to do some intervals, a small covering of snow but it was ok to run on, do you find its harder work to do tempos/intervals out there? i was wrecked after them yesterday like.

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    hey TNO, you back running yet?

i went to the farm yesterday to do some intervals, a small covering of snow but it was ok to run on, do you find its harder work to do tempos/intervals out there? i was wrecked after them yesterday like.

Hiya Sean, got out tofarm myself this morn. Did about 8miles easy pace. No watch and to be honest I enjoyed it more. Hope to get a bit more consistent now with the running over next while.

Ah yeah, running hard on grass is tough going. I reckon compared to track its 5s to 10s slower per mile. If you use a HRM, then it'd give ya better idea, of how the effort compares? Track us closed in CIt I think from 23rd to 4th?

Let us know how the threamill goes!

Treadmill arrived...means I can start running again, should add 30km mileage to week, I'll have to be careful to build it back up slowly as I've done practically nothing over the last 4 weeks.
    Ran the 4 mile Turkey trot yesterday but not sure I managed to break 24min (no watches allowed so no idea what time I ran!)so I'm a good way off sub 60 pace at the mo. Can't wait to get my treadmill next week....

Did break 24min (barely) in the Turkey Trot so that was good as I didn't think I had (pace felt more like tempo pace than race pace). I thought hanging in around 10th would get me home in around 23:30 so when I found myself in 9th spot after 200m I decided to just hang in at that pace. I let one clubmate pass me early on (2:40 in Rotterdam so I wasn't going to hold pace with him) and then held my 10th spot until the end. Twas good to know that next time I go out to do a tempo run I just need to HTFU and break 6min pace.

Any races over Christmas TNO?

Did break 24min (barely) in the Turkey Trot so that was good as I didn't think I had (pace felt more like tempo pace than race pace). I thought hanging in around 10th would get me home in around 23:30 so when I found myself in 9th spot after 200m I decided to just hang in at that pace. I let one clubmate pass me early on (2:40 in Rotterdam so I wasn't going to hold pace with him) and then held my 10th spot until the end. Twas good to know that next time I go out to do a tempo run I just need to HTFU and break 6min pace.

Any races over Christmas TNO?

Well done on the 6min miling, good going for this time of year! Threadmill should help now as well, weather is shi*e already like and we haven't even hit Jan yet...

Will try and do the 4miler in Belgooly stephens day, but it was cancelled last year due to weather. If I do it, I'll run without a watch, but will tag onto a few usual suspects to get around. Hopefully with the time off, can get the mileage going again.

Well done on the 6min miling, good going for this time of year! Threadmill should help now as well, weather is shi*e already like and we haven't even hit Jan yet...

Will try and do the 4miler in Belgooly stephens day, but it was cancelled last year due to weather. If I do it, I'll run without a watch, but will tag onto a few usual suspects to get around. Hopefully with the time off, can get the mileage going again.

Belgooly is highly likely to be cancelled I would think, can't see any sort of thaw taking place before stephens day.

I'm in 2 minds about the running without a watch idea....perhaps a good compromise is to wear a normal watch and check it at the mile markers. That way you still need to be aware of the feel of your pace but can readjust if you're taking things too easy. I didn't know the course of the Turkey Trot and there were no mile markers so I had no concept of time at all and actually thought the finish line was half a mile on from where it was so didn't get a chance to empty the tank at all.

Belgooly is highly likely to be cancelled I would think, can't see any sort of thaw taking place before stephens day.

I'm in 2 minds about the running without a watch idea....perhaps a good compromise is to wear a normal watch and check it at the mile markers. That way you still need to be aware of the feel of your pace but can readjust if you're taking things too easy. I didn't know the course of the Turkey Trot and there were no mile markers so I had no concept of time at all and actually thought the finish line was half a mile on from where it was so didn't get a chance to empty the tank at all.

Badly need a race, tho a speed session would prob give me a good idea of how fitness is. Doubt track will go ahead tonite, prob like a skating rink! Have a new pair of racing shoes (santa present to myself), so itching to try them out, prefarably not on snow! ;)

Track closed, so was spinning to farm for an easy run. Figured it'd be lit by the full moon, and the few cars that were parked outside confirmed it was ok to run.

Bumped into couple from club who were gonna do some km repeats and joined them after a bit of a warm-up. It was actually fine running on the snow, it was compact enough and in some parts had a good surface.

7miles total with 5*1km repeats off 2min recoveries. Averaged 3:48min/km.

Great feeling to get thru a speed session like that, it'd been a while!

Running like that in -6C does really cut through the lungs, need to get used to it tho as the cold snap could be around for a while yet!

Track closed, so was spinning to farm for an easy run. Figured it'd be lit by the full moon, and the few cars that were parked outside confirmed it was ok to run.

Bumped into couple from club who were gonna do some km repeats and joined them after a bit of a warm-up. It was actually fine running on the snow, it was compact enough and in some parts had a good surface.

7miles total with 5*1km repeats off 2min recoveries. Averaged 3:48min/km.

Great feeling to get thru a speed session like that, it'd been a while!

Running like that in -6C does really cut through the lungs, need to get used to it tho as the cold snap could be around for a while yet!

well done mate, was out at the farm earlier today myself, surface is OK, its defo the only option these days....a bit uneven and slippy with the compact snow/ice but its good enough i suppose....

will start running out there more often i reckon, did some further research regarding trail/grass running and some website suggest that running off road increases leg strenght and will imporrove speed on the road thereafter...give it a go anyway!

Gym Session.

Finished up work today at 2pm, so got down to gym in afternoon. Bike, rower and weights. Great feeling to be working out during day like that when normally you'd be working!

Will get a few easy miles in tomorrow morn i'd say, legs not too sore after yest. Think the compression socks are helping the calves!

P.S. I'm a closet compression sock wearer ( the running tights hide them!) ;)

well done mate, was out at the farm earlier today myself, surface is OK, its defo the only option these days....a bit uneven and slippy with the compact snow/ice but its good enough i suppose....

will start running out there more often i reckon, did some further research regarding trail/grass running and some website suggest that running off road increases leg strenght and will imporrove speed on the road thereafter...give it a go anyway!

Ah yeah, its a grand place to run like, usually see a good few runners out like! Would you be doing the Belgooly race if it goes ahead yourself ??

5miles at 7:40 min/mile at the farm. Didn't feel as cold out today. Hopefully the weather will change sooner rather than later!!

Off out now for dinner and drinks. Happy Christmas gang! :-)

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, its a grand place to run like, usually see a good few runners out like! Would you be doing the Belgooly race if it goes ahead yourself ??

wont be doing belgooly id say kind of busy over crimbo, but also havent run in a few days with a tooth ache of all things....running seams to upset it! went to the dentist today so hopefully will get to run tomorrow....

enjoy your self tonight and over christmas lad, will talk to ya later

I see from John desmonds blog belgooly is likely to go ahead...course dry with no ice....best of luck at it

I see from John desmonds blog belgooly is likely to go ahead...course dry with no ice....best of luck at it
    Oops....cancelled now cos no water in belgooly

Oops....cancelled now cos no water in belgooly

Pity bout this race being cancelled, thats two years in a row now.

Got out for 5.5miles in Castlemartyr wood, middle parts of path had some ice on them but it was fine mostly. 7degrees out, nearly had too much layers on!! Nice to get a run in tho, stomach felt heavy after yesterday's eating and drinking! Pushed a bit on hills to make a form if fartlek out of it.

Great being off work and able to run when I can now that the thaw seems to be here :-)

A different wood today, got down to Killeagh wood, just over 8miles in 64 mins, bit wet and mucky but good for stamina building with nice mixture of hills to attack! Such a nice place to run but hard to get to when your working in Cork!

11.7miles done and dusted by 9:45 this morning. Balinora loop, had forgotten how many hills there are. 4 of us ran, and glad of the company. Bit of workneeded to get back to how easy was doing this run back in April!!

Its time to have a quick look back over 2010. I came on a good bit this year, mainly down to the more consistent mileage put in at the start of the year, this being helped by going into a marathon training plan.

The Cork Marathon still stands out as the best running day for me this year, especially when I was in sight of the finish clock and knew I'd dip (just) under the 3hr mark! Great running as part of that paced group, thank you again to Mick Rice!

The Bay Run half was another good race, I'd no idea that I was going to run a 1:22 that day, and it'll take a lot of work to improve on that time, I was hopping off the road those last few miles, that great feeling, where you feel like you could keep it going for another couple!

A few track races as well later in the year, 800m, mile and 3k. The 800m was prob my best run race, plenty of work to be done on the 3k, but it'll be sub-10 i'll be after next time!

Summary of boxes ticked this year:

Marathon: sub-3
    Half: sub 1:23
    10mile: sub 64
    10k: 37:19 (averaged 6min miles)
    5mile: sub-30
    mile: 5:09 (sub-5 next year!)
    800m: 2:18

Goals for next year:

No plans to run a marathon, immediate goal is to get more consistent mileage in. Aim for 60min for 10miles, but primary target is 1:20 for half marathon(prob Cork half in June).
    I think I can get close to the hr mark for 10miles, but I might have more training done for the 1:20 by June. Over 5miles, well, it'd have to be the 29min mark! Track races and the Ballycotton series in the summer. If I get my times down, then I'd give Dublin a shot (especially if I hit 1:20 for half)

Talk to ye all in the new year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

That's a great year you've had, in fact pretty much what I'd like to do in the coming year! Best of luck in your new goals

hey TNO,

are you (or gringo if you see this) going to bandon tomorrow? i might head down, although im wreacked today after a 10m easy run lol....was thinking of running it as a tempo run tomorrow to help get back into the swing of things.....recently i have had a bad run......week of exams, chrtistmas week and a week in london.....so very little running!

• Advertisement

hey TNO,

are you (or gringo if you see this) going to bandon tomorrow?!

Hey Seany, won't make it to Bandon but should be at Mallow. Good luck tomorrow if you run..and to you TNO too.

Advertisement