Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Hey Seany, won't make it to Bandon but should be at Mallow. Good luck tomorrow if you run..and to you TNO too.

Didn't make it down lads, festivities of new year knocked the wind out if me ;)

Time to knuckle down, mallow will be an eye-opener!!
    Let us know how you got on seany, will we see you in mallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

tisnotover wrote: »
    Didn't make it down lads, festivities of new year knocked the wind out if me ;)

Time to knuckle down, mallow will be an eye-opener!!
    Let us know how you got on seany, will we see you in mallow?

i could have done without runnung today, i was wrecked this morning before i left...if it wasnt a race i wouldnt have run at all!

the plan was to run this as a tempo run, and for the 1st downhill mile, i was running well within myself...mile 2 was flat for the most part but the climb started towards the end of that and the pace dropped a bit, mile 3 was all uphill, very slow mile and hard work! the last 2 were mainly slightly downhill/flat so was able to stride away here without trouble but tired after the climb. overall, it might have felt a little harder than tempo pace but didnt bust my gut either so could have gone sub30 if i wanted to too...in the end i finished at 30:25mins @6:05m/m. with avHR177 (same as my ballycotton5 @6:12m/m) so by HR it was a proper tempo run i suppose.

Tempo Splits(avHR):
    5:56(164)(but maxHR176)
    6:09(178)
    6:28(182)
    6:00(180)
    5:52(182)

will do mallow next week, but im thinking ill just do 40mins tempo and pull back for the last 20mins - dungarvan will be the next target race id say. have only done one 10mile run(most around 6miles) since dublin so dont have the endurance for a long race yet...best of luck with it anyway but ill prob see you up there

seanynova wrote: »
    i could have done without runnung today, i was wrecked this morning before i left...if it wasnt a race i wouldnt have run at all!

the plan was to run this as a tempo run, and for the 1st downhill mile, i was running well within myself...mile 2 was flat for the most part but the climb started towards the end of that and the pace dropped a bit, mile 3 was all uphill, very slow mile and hard work! the last 2 were mainly slightly downhill/flat so was able to stride away here without trouble but tired after the climb. overall, it might have felt a little harder than tempo pace but didnt bust my gut either so could have gone sub30 if i wanted to too...in the end i finished at 30:25mins @6:05m/m. with avHR177 (same as my ballycotton5 @6:12m/m) so by HR it was a proper tempo run i suppose.

Tempo Splits(avHR):
    5:56(164)(but maxHR176)
    6:09(178)
    6:28(182)
    6:00(180)
    5:52(182)

will do mallow next week, but im thinking ill just do 40mins tempo and pull back for the last 20mins - dungarvan will be the next target race id say. have only done one 10mile run(most around 6miles) since dublin so dont have the endurance for a long race yet...best of luck with it anyway but ill prob see you up there

Well done, very nice running on a hilly course. Will you stick with 60min pacer for a while so (6-7miles?), and ease back, something to think about, Gringo was suggesting same before here too and def see ya up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Well done, very nice running on a hilly course. Will you stick with 60min pacer for a while so (6-7miles?), and ease back, something to think about, Gringo was suggesting same before here too and def see ya up there!

I wasn't really suggesting the ease back bit. If you go the race thinking I'll do 6 miles at 6min pace and then ease back, well thats the most you'll do. I was more suggesting try for sub 60 10 mile hanging on to the pacer as long as you can....the worst you'll come away with is 5-6 sub 6min miles. A race is a great opportunity to 'reset' your internal inhibitions so I would be wary of giving the mind 'outs' before the pain even starts.

i still :confused: reckon ill do the 40mins tempo, its whats called up for on the schedule for the week anyway but if i was to continue at tempo pace for any longer and blow up (or even not), it would take an extra day of so to recover and thus taking away from next weeks training....i remember after the cork half being wrecked for the following week!

in saying that if im "only" in the "comfortably hard" zone at 7miles(and still on for sub60mins), sure id be foolish to drop back, so i have a bit of deciding to make, but if was able to have training properly for the past 3 weeks i would defo race it but not sure now....TBC!

• Advertisement

i think ill go with the pacer but ultimatly ill run on how im feeling, my tempo pace could be anywhere between 5:55-6:15m/m(or higher!!) pace after the christmas break so ill see how the intervals go on thursday and go from there....actually what do ye have planned with the club? was thinking 6x 1000m or 5x 1200m myself.

First run of the new year for me, I really did have a nice break over christmas, saw more of the high bar-stool than my running shoes!!

7miles total with 3*mile repeats at 93s/lap target in lane 3 (6min/mile pace)

Mile splits: 6:08, 6:08, 6:14.

Very hard session, felt like dropping out half way through the 3rd repeat, but kept going. Have lost a few yards to a few club-mates, but in that, there is good motivation as well! ;) I'm ok for stamina i'd say, but i've lost basic speed which I had during summer. It will come back but it won't be there at Mallow, I really need a race though and Mallow will be a good test.

i think ill go with the pacer but ultimatly ill run on how im feeling, my tempo pace could be anywhere between 5:55-6:15m/m(or higher!!) pace after the christmas break so ill see how the intervals go on thursday and go from there....actually what do ye have planned with the club? was thinking 6x 1000m or 5x 1200m myself.

Not sure seany, it was 3*mile tonite, the thurs session is usually faster, km repeats or 800's would be a good session i'd say?

squeezed in a gym session at lunch-time, have something on after work so couldn't make it later.

20mins on bike and some weights....work sucks!! ;)

Not sure seany, it was 3*mile tonite, the thurs session is usually faster, km repeats or 800's would be a good session i'd say?

im stiff as a pole today! did 5m in the farm today....hopefully will be aboe to run intervals tomorrow.
    i might just do the 1200/800 mix thats in the plan....if im out at CIT in the evening though ill give ya a shout.

• Advertisement

Have lost a few yards to a few club-mates, but in that, there is good motivation as well! ;) I'm ok for stamina i'd say, but i've lost basic speed which I had during summer. It will come back but it won't be there at Mallow, I really need a race though and Mallow will be a good test.

I think I'm going to pass on Mallow now. I only averaged 10mpw for Nov/Dec and after getting full back into it in January I think a 10mile race on Sunday would be too much and would likely lead to injury, so will build things back up for Dungarvan. I'm already probably getting back into things too quick by doing more this week than I did in the whole month of december

squeezed in a gym session at lunch-time, have something on after work so couldn't make it later.

20mins on bike and some weights....work sucks!! ;)

Would you not hit the treadmill rather than the bike when you have only a short time in the gym? 20min v.easy on the treadmill would be more beneficial for your running than any bike.

I think I'm going to pass on Mallow now. I only averaged 10mpw for Nov/Dec and after getting full back into it in January I think a 10mile race on Sunday would be too much and would likely lead to injury, so will build things back up for Dungarvan. I'm already probably getting back into things too quick by doing more this week than I did in the whole month of december

sounds very much like my training for december but now im one step ahead of you......off to the physio after lunch, INJURED :(

take it handy on the build up!

Believe me I've thought of skipping it too, and my mileage for December was very similar to yours! I still want to use it as a paced run tho. Current thinking is to go out at 6:20 for 5, see how I am and push on from there. If I feel ok-ish at 5, I will push-on.
    Would you not hit the treadmill rather than the bike when you have only a short time in the gym? 20min v.easy on the treadmill would be more beneficial for your running than any bike.

Could have I suppose, but legs were tired from tues anyhow. The bit I did on bike did loosen em, but I know that a run would have done same.

Dunno about you but I'm feeling frustrated about running at mo!
    sounds very much like my training for december but now im one step ahead of you......off to the physio after lunch, INJURED :(

Sorry to hear that seany, hope its nothing too serious. Skip Mallow if you have to and get yourself right for Dungarvan?

Sorry to hear that Seany....hope it's not too much of a setback...makes me 100% sure I'm skipping mallow now
    Dunno about you but I'm feeling frustrated about running at mo!

Was feeling like that over Christmas alright....but since hitting back into it jan 1st I've reassessed and realised Ballycotton is the big one....and I've 9 weeks until then, plenty of time to get in good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Sorry to hear that Seany....hope it's not too much of a setback...makes me 100% sure I'm skipping mallow now

Was feeling like that over Christmas alright....but since hitting back into it jan 1st I've reassessed and realised Ballycotton is the big one....and I've 9 weeks until then, plenty of time to get in good shape

I should reassess..with the half 9 days away,realistically to go sub 80 now is going to hurt alot,due to not enough runs over 10m the last 6 weeks.
    I wont know if i can achieve it until about mile 8/9,but foolishly i will still (probably) be going for it.
    I reckon i have a good shout at the sub 60 attempt in Dungarvan though,thats 3 weeks away,but i could ruin that if i attempt sub 80 and it nearly kills me,that will hinder the following weeks running and then the race is the week after that...decisions...decisions...

5miles after work around farm, 8min/mile pace. Floodlights were on so wasn't running in dark. Legs felt tired. Will rest tomorrow and maybe 2/3miles easy sat.

Sosa wrote: »
    I should reassess..with the half 9 days away,realistically to go sub 80 now is going to hurt alot,due to not enough runs over 10m the last 6 weeks.
    I wont know if i can achieve it until about mile 8/9,but foolishly i will still (probably) be going for it.
    I reckon i have a good shout at the sub 60 attempt in Dungarvan though,thats 3 weeks away,but i could ruin that if i attempt sub 80 and it nearly kills me,that will hinder the following weeks running and then the race is the week after that...decisions...decisions...

Very hard to know what to do! Racing the half all-out will take it out of you for following week.

Any interest in the new cork half in June??

Sorry to hear that seany, hope its nothing too serious. Skip Mallow if you have to and get yourself right for Dungarvan?

its nothing too serious, was able to bike today so can keep some form of fitness during the set back. its a re-occuring glute problem, was doing reps on tuesday and i guess i over did it. towards the end of some of the 400, i was running sloppy so lesson learned!
    might be ok to run mallow but dungarvan is the next race.

also gringo, ballycotton is far enough away to get to a good level, failing that though kilnboy 10 is also worth a shot, an extra 5weeks of training also! its my back up plan anyway :)

5miles after work around farm, 8min/mile pace. Floodlights were on so wasn't running in dark. Legs felt tired. Will rest tomorrow and maybe 2/3miles easy sat.

i went out to the track after my cycle tonight, didnt see many eagle ac lads around...but it was only just after 7.

didnt realise the lights are on at the farm, im planning on doing more of my runs out there from now on, it might help with injury prevention.

• Advertisement

Very hard to know what to do! Racing the half all-out will take it out of you for following week.

Any interest in the new cork half in June??

Doubtful.
    I will have the second waterford 2011 half this December also...that will be my target race late rin the year.

Sosa wrote: »

The sensible logical thing to do would be skip the HM. Your training over the last while is probably better for a 10miler than a HM as you have missed a few medium longs you wanted to get under your belt. However, Waterford HM is your home race...hard to walk away from that when you are still in very good shape. With 2 weeks gap to Dungarvan, I think you should be recovered enough to go for sub 60 in dungarvan but you have to be careful about not getting injured beforehand...a dissappointing waterford HM could spur you on to some hard train in the immediate aftermath of the race which would be high risk. So go for waterford, try for sub 80 and I think you can still bag the sub 60 in dungarvan afterwards.

The sensible logical thing to do would be skip the HM. Your training over the last while is probably better for a 10miler than a HM as you have missed a few medium longs you wanted to get under your belt. However, Waterford HM is your home race...hard to walk away from that when you are still in very good shape. With 2 weeks gap to Dungarvan, I think you should be recovered enough to go for sub 60 in dungarvan but you have to be careful about not getting injured beforehand...a dissappointing waterford HM could spur you on to some hard train in the immediate aftermath of the race which would be high risk. So go for waterford, try for sub 80 and I think you can still bag the sub 60 in dungarvan afterwards.

Thers no other choice really,if it was other race than i would skip it,but we will be having a go.
    I am concerned about having a bad race though and the knock on effects,so will have to be careful not to over do it in the 2 weeks then to Dungarvan.
    Thanks

Just repeated your thoughts,but i was thinking the same anyway

Sosa: if at any stage in the race you genuinly thought you wouldnt make sub80, would you back off?

cos if it was slipping you could cruise home handy and be happy with 8/9/10 or whatever miles at pace, which would set up up nicely for dungarvan 10 with less training recovery restrictions.

after my last half, i was jaded for about a week afterwards and ended up getting injrued trying to run quick of a sore foot...but i was too tired to run with good form and with each foot landing(stopming!) more damage was done....

i think if you raced the half completly you would be recovered for the 10m race, BUT the training inbetween will suffer, thats the only drawback to racing the half...on the other hand, if you do go sub80(which i think you will) then you wont need many sessions to keep you in shape for a sub60 in dungarvan, just recover and a tempo run or two and you would be right

Most things in life are mental issues....I had an american basketball coach years ago who used to say....if you think you can, you will...thats all well and good for alot of things,but running is a different animal,i am used to training hard for target races which i have not been able to do for the 2 coming up...does that mean i wont achieve the times i want...only time will tell.

To answer your question...i would like to think that if by 10m,if sub 80 was gone,...i would coast home and focus on Dungarvan.
    At least it would be a long tempo in prep for Dungarvan..
    Thanks...
    Didnt get out today either...hope ( and i use that word loosely ) to get a good w/e in and rest up after that.....and hope for the best.

Mallow is cancelled. Was just heading out for 2/3 easy miles when the texts started coming in about it!

Will do club run in morning instead.3wks training will put me in good shape hopefully for Dungarvan.

13.5miles with club this morning. Can see why mallow was cancelled, roads were really bad. We sticked to running at farm instead.

First 7 miles done at 8:30 pace, 2nd half done at 7:30 pace. A good run.

I make that about 24.5 miles for the week. :-)

Monday: Gym Session. 15mins bike, weights and 1mile warm-down on threadmill

Tuesday: Mile repeats at track.

2mile warm-up
    4*1mile at 93s/lap target in Lane 3 (6:00min/mile ref to Lane 1), off 2min recoveries.
    1mile warm-down
    7miles total

Had a stitch warming up for this one, serves me right, ate two bars of chocolate on way to track!

Mile splits: 6:08, 6:11, 6:08, 6:14, av-split ~ 6:10, bout 6min/mile pace.

Not bad considering it was wet tonite, pushed real hard on third mile repeat, to catch lad leading it out. Last one was tough, wet shoes, heavy legs but got through it, hopefully with 5*mile next wk, I can get the first 4 all under 6:12.

Monday: Gym Session. 15mins bike, weights and 1mile warm-down on threadmill

Tuesday: Mile repeats at track.

2mile warm-up
    4*1mile at 93s/lap target in Lane 3 (6:00min/mile ref to Lane 1), off 2min recoveries.
    1mile warm-down
    7miles total

Had a stitch warming up for this one, serves me right, ate two bars of chocolate on way to track!

Mile splits: 6:08, 6:11, 6:08, 6:14, av-split ~ 6:10, bout 6min/mile pace.

Not bad considering it was wet tonite, pushed real hard on third mile repeat, to catch lad leading it out. Last one was tough, wet shoes, heavy legs but got through it, hopefully with 5*mile next wk, I can get the first 4 all under 6:12.

good session tonight, be a good one to build on, eg the 5* mile next week....6*mile etc...

are you doing dungarvan 10 by any chance? i have my entry but not running with the last week with injury, and no sign of it getting better even after 2 visist to the physio....PLAN B regarding goal races i think....pity cos i wanted to race dungarvan, but if im running ill do it as a LSR, might as well as its paid for and get a t-shirt out of it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good session tonight, be a good one to build on, eg the 5* mile next week....6*mile etc...

are you doing dungarvan 10 by any chance? i have my entry but not running with the last week with injury, and no sign of it getting better even after 2 visist to the physio....PLAN B regarding goal races i think....pity cos i wanted to race dungarvan, but if im running ill do it as a LSR, might as well as its paid for and get a t-shirt out of it lol.

+1 good session tno. I did a mile rep session last night and by the end I was running round a 400m long puddle - definitely harder on a gravel track when it rains.

Im doing dungarvan - might see you down there.

Advertisement