Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

set out for an easy paced run this morn, and thank god I did, cos I ended up taking a wrong turn and instead of doubling back, I kept going to see where road would lead me! ended up doing 9.7miles at 7:54min/mile, my longest run in a bit and my last of the year. was pretty hilly as well, down around shanagarry and churchtown south.

got in some good mileage so far this week, tomorrow will be a rest day, more likely for alcohol related reasons!hopefully a long run then on sat, weather permitting!

total mileage for 2009: 1158miles, most of this covered since June.

Out to the farm this morning for my long run as I didn't want to chance roads and hills. weather has turned again and could be icy for next while.
    Farm was frozen over, but was fine underfoot and was thawing out pretty quick with a strong sun.

covered 10miles at av pace of 7:55min/mile, av-hr:158.

For this run I started off real easy, like 8:35min/mile for a good few miles and then started to pick it up towards latter few miles, thus the HR was low to begin with and climbed as I pushed av pace, this I got from the book "Advanced Marathoning", an xmas present I got myself and def a good read!

A good mileage week this week, covering 37.3miles (highest since mid-August), always easier when your off work. will hope to keep mileage about 35mile mark for next few weeks now, if it has to be done on a threadmill at times, then so be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Whats the target time for Mallow 10 on Sunday? I'm hoping to do it (have pre-registered), and I'd say our target times could be pretty similar?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Whats the target time for Mallow 10 on Sunday? I'm hoping to do it (have pre-registered), and I'd say our target times could be pretty similar?

yep, i'm on for this too, but could be 50:50 i'd say as to whether it goes ahead?? my pb for 10miles last year is 68:56, but mcmillan is saying times around the 64min mark to me, based on recent results.

what time ya thinking of aiming for yourself?
    i've entered dungarvan as well, which is only 3 weeks later, don't think I can race both flat-out though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I'd say 64 is well within range.
    I did Dungarvan in 65:50 last year and you'd easily take a couple of minutes off that I'd reckon.

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    my pb for 10miles last year is 68:56, but mcmillan is saying times around the 64min mark to me, based on recent results.

what time ya thinking of aiming for yourself?

Going for 63:xx. I do my 6 mile tempo runs @ 6:20 a mile so will start out at 6:35, 6:30, 6:25, 6:20 and try to hold it till the end at 6:20 a mile then. Main aim will be not to blow it in the first mile by going out too fast. That would give 63:50.

showry wrote: »
    I'd say 64 is well within range.
    I did Dungarvan in 65:50 last year and you'd easily take a couple of minutes off that I'd reckon.

I should get there, but concerned about lack of tempo running showry, have been doing mile intervals(~5k pace), but worried that lack of tempo running at around half-marathon pace or so would let me down for mallow.
    Going for 63:xx. I do my 6 mile tempo runs @ 6:20 a mile so will start out at 6:35, 6:30, 6:25, 6:20 and try to hold it till the end at 6:20 a mile then. Main aim will be not to blow it in the first mile by going out too fast. That would give 63:50.

sounds like a good race plan!
    worried about my lack of tempo running, but will pick that up over next few weeks, are you doing those tempo runs as mile repeats at 6:20? or is it a 6mile straight tempo run your doing?

sounds like a good race plan!
    worried about my lack of tempo running, but will pick that up over next few weeks, are you doing those tempo runs as mile repeats at 6:20? or is it a 6mile straight tempo run your doing?

6 miles straight. Did 4.7 miles straight at 6:18 at lunchtime today. Had intended to only do 5 rather than 6 because of race on Sunday but also started off with it in my head that there was no need to push myself overly in light of race....thats the wrong attitude to go into a tempo with, You have to have a target and stick to it, I find them a real mental struggle from mile 2 on and the session I find the toughest, much prefer intervals so i'll always doa tempo first rather than intervals.

Heart rate was about 10bpm higher today than it would have been for a 5 mile race so either the HR monitor was on the blip or I hadn't been pushing myself hard enough in races....I suspect a little bit of both. HR also showed me Christmas has taken its toll although those cobwebs are swept away quickly (I hope!)

6 miles straight. Did 4.7 miles straight at 6:18 at lunchtime today. Had intended to only do 5 rather than 6 because of race on Sunday but also started off with it in my head that there was no need to push myself overly in light of race....thats the wrong attitude to go into a tempo with, You have to have a target and stick to it, I find them a real mental struggle from mile 2 on and the session I find the toughest, much prefer intervals so i'll always doa tempo first rather than intervals.

Heart rate was about 10bpm higher today than it would have been for a 5 mile race so either the HR monitor was on the blip or I hadn't been pushing myself hard enough in races....I suspect a little bit of both. HR also showed me Christmas has taken its toll although those cobwebs are swept away quickly (I hope!)

yep, not looking forward to getting back into the tempo runs, though as you say, what you should target, is what your weaker at!

how is the HR for your aerobic runs? comparing mine to equivalent paces during summer, I see i'm a tad higher as well, but hope to sort that out with more mileage over next while.

Its time for you to get your training log going again Gringo ;)

how is the HR for your aerobic runs? comparing mine to equivalent paces during summer, I see i'm a tad higher as well, but hope to sort that out with more mileage over next while.

My heart rate max is 191 (I've never recorded higher than that) and my resting heart rate is 38 so I was recording 95% HRR during todays run which is far higher than normal. I would hope to be able to sustain 85-90% HRR for 10 mile race which would be 168-175 for me. I suspect you have a higher heart rate max than me as your HR is always higher by 5-10bpm in races than mine....do you know what it is?

• Advertisement

5miles in gym (1% incline), very easy paced at 8:30min/mile, avhr: 150.
    hopefully track session tomorrow nite.

My heart rate max is 191 (I've never recorded higher than that) and my resting heart rate is 38 so I was recording 95% HRR during todays run which is far higher than normal. I would hope to be able to sustain 85-90% HRR for 10 mile race which would be 168-175 for me. I suspect you have a higher heart rate max than me as your HR is always higher by 5-10bpm in races than mine....do you know what it is?

my resting HR is 46 and I use 220-age which gives me 192 as a guideline for maxHR, prob not the most accurate way of calculating it! I did see the HR hit 186 as I crossed the line in a 5k last year, so that might be closer to it...

The website below I find handy then as a guideline to training paces from the min,max HR values:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/hrtp.php

met up with club at track, usual suspects around, but track was a bit dodgy to be pushing button too fast, so ended up aiming for mile repeats at about 6:35min/mile. 2min recovery inbetween.

2.75mile warm-up
    4*1miles in [6:40,6:33,6:30,6:26], av int: 6:32min/mile
    interval hr : [169,172,174,174], avhr int: 172
    1.75mile warm-down

total miles 8.5

a good session and felt comfortable throughout, first one was very handy and half way through the 2nd repeat, I pushed on with one of the lads, the same then for the last two repeats. av pace of 6:32, is just outside my half pace, so effectively these were mile repeats at tempo pace.

i've my fingers crossed that mallow will go ahead, but everybody is saying its 50:50.

... for a recovery run of sorts.

4miles easy, 0% incline, kept speed between 12km/hr and 11.3km/hr main goal was keeping an eye on HR and keeping it low.

summary 4miles in 32:30, avhr:143. got a lovely roll afterwards down their as well, handy.

boredom was relieved somewhat by scooter's video "the sound above my hair" coming on screen, worth a look in parts lads ;)

got down to gym at lunch for a tempo run. plan was:

2k warm-up (12km/hr, 0.5%)
    5k tempo run (15km/hr, 0.5%)
    2k warm-down (12km/hr, 0.5%)

managed 5km in 20:20, about 6:33min/mile, av tempo hr: 172.

a nice workout, will repeat this next week and see if I can add a km...

11.5miles, av-pace: 7:50min/mile, avhr:160, just under 1.5hrs running.

ran two loops of Harty's Quay to Blackrock loop with John from work. After 5miles decided to pick up pace, and averaged 7:08min/mile for miles 6-9.easy running then for last couple. a good workout, as it got the heart rate up for middle bit, and those miles were at about marathon pace.

couldn't believe the amount of runners we saw today, path seemed to be full of them, reckon everyone is afraid of tomorrow's SNOW!!

34.6miles for week which like last week is good going. mite do an easy 4 tomorrow, that depends on whether I have a few guinness or not tonite!

wasn't planning a run today, but snow started falling and i'm living not too far from the farm, so said i'd trot out...

4.5miles averaging 7:44min/mile, avhr: 153, fairly heavy out there now, still would want to be careful though, of any ice under the snow! at least the weather gets warmer when the snow comes in.

39.1 miles for the week total and 6 days running.

mile repeats on a wet track at CIT tonite. 5 of us in group set off for 95s/lap target with 2min recovery between the miles.

3.0mile warm-up
    4*1miles in [6:20,6:19,6:20,6:18], av int: 6:19min/mile
    interval hr : [169,176,175,176], avhr int: 174
    1.0mile warm-down

total miles 8.0

wasn't looking forward to this session to be honest as was feeling a bit tired, but got into it and went well, the last mile repeat was the easiest! shoes were sopping wet at end. was tempted to do another mile repeat at end, but will leave till next week.

4.5miles @ 7:58min/mile, avhr: 150 around a very foggy Bishopstown. Visibility was very bad, was opting for threadmill, but gym looked savage busy, f-that, on with leggings and running jacket and off I went!
    Legs needed that run, sore-ish from track last nite.

5.0miles around Bishopstown again tonite, av-pace: 7:40min/mile, avhr:153. Pushed-on up the hills, which made it a bit more of an interesting run, def good for the legs.

Wrecked tired since Tuesday nite, haven't been sleeping right either, a lot of sh*t happening at work like, thank god for running, helps take the mind off things!

• Advertisement

driving down I had plan of doing 6km straight tempo, but half way through the warm-up, realised that this wasn't probably on!

ended up doing

2k warm-up (12.5km/hr, 0.5%)
    3k tempo run (15km/hr, 0.5%)
    0.5k recovery (12.5km/hr, 0.5%)
    3k tempo run (15km/hr, 0.5%)
    1.5k warm-down (12km/hr, 0.5%)

10k total.

overall not a bad session, def needed the break after the first 3km, and found the second 3km much easier
    average pace for both 3k's 4:00min/km and average hr: 172 (168,175). So some progression from last week (did 5km last friday), but needed to split the tempo up.

looking forward to long run in morning, forecast looks good.

perfect conditions for a run this morning. ran 13.2miles with club, back to tackling that hill in Rafeen again, av-pace 8:13min/mile, avhr:156

36.9miles total for the week, rest tomorrow.

Monday: 4.75miles at 7:50min/mile around Bishopstown, avhr: 150.

was not in form for this run today, but wanted to get out, have come down with a head-cold since sunday and generally feel like shi*e! nice run though, and has a few hills in the loop which is good.

Track session down for later hopefully...

Tuesday: track session
    6miles total with 3*mile repeats at 6:20min/mile, splits: [6:19,6:18,6:19].

Conditions were savage wet and nasty wind for 150m made this a tough session tonite, this coupled with my head cold didn't make things too easy.
    Aim would have been to progress to 5 repeats (from 4 last week), but just did not have it in me tonite, felt really tired and was barely able to stay on shoulder on one of the lads going around (normally we'd lead each other in turns), so bailed out after three...

Disappointing as last week I felt comfortable after 3!

Next few races for me:

Dungarvan 10 mile: Jan 31st
    County Road Championship, Ballinhassing, Feb 7th
    Dungarvan 10k / Eagle 5 : Feb 28th.

That county road race looks like it could be postponed, till March 17th, meaning that Mallow 10 is on Feb 7th, would like to do Mallow alrite, but def couldn't race it a week after Dungarvan, maybe could treat it as a marathon paced run.

Thats what I hope Dungarvan will give me, a better idea of how my stamina is and what a realistic target for a marathon pace would be for Cork.

Next few races for me:

Dungarvan 10 mile: Jan 31st
    County Road Championship, Ballinhassing, Feb 7th
    Dungarvan 10k / Eagle 5 : Feb 28th.

That county road race looks like it could be postponed, till March 17th, meaning that Mallow 10 is on Feb 7th, would like to do Mallow alrite, but def couldn't race it a week after Dungarvan, maybe could treat it as a marathon paced run.

Thats what I hope Dungarvan will give me, a better idea of how my stamina is and what a realistic target for a marathon pace would be for Cork.

Is thats whats happening with feb 7th, its the county road race champs which would be moved? That'd suit me grand as I'm not race fit for the shorter races at all....4 days before Ballycotton though, how many people would race all out at it??

Surely you have no choice but to do the Eagle 5, your club race, on Feb 28th??? or does the backslahs mean you intend to do both that day?

Don't worry about the interals last night, colds will do that to you...maybe next time you're not in the best of health heading into a club session, just do 3 laps per rep at the same pace as the others instead of 4, taking extra recovery time, and do 5 sets of 0.75m instead.

Your training is going very good though, you've pushed up the weekly volumes a lot, in very good shape for January.

thats what gang were talking about at track last nite, not many would/could race that county race, as you say only a few days before Ballycotton!

ah, i'll more than likely do the eagle 5 alrite, but that 10k is meant to be a good race too ;)

good idea about doing the 3laps instead of 4, I don't get colds too often and when I do I'm a mess!

getting good mileage in last few weeks in fairness, some difference compared to this time last year. aerobic runs are in good shape and getting easier.
    Last year I ran 26miles total in January, doing more than that per week now like.

P.S. if your to take a rest day either today/tomorrow, take it tomorrow as forecast is good for today, more rain again tomorrow!

Wed: 5.1miles recovery at 7:48min/mile, heart rate monitor is on the blink again, prob should have replaced batteries in both watch and the strap! Still not feeling 100%, head-cold is taking a while to shift!

Today: REST DAY.

Friday: 6.5miles including 2*3km at 15km/hr (6:30min/mile) in gym, same workout as last week, but felt way way harder today, reckon still not over cold fully.

Saturday:
    13.2miles (6laps) of farm in Bishopstown. Was meant to do Rafeen loop like last week, but road conditions look well dodgy, so plan b was called for. Was a freezing fog down in farm for entire run and still hadn't lifted when we had finished. Ran with John from work, he's planning on doing the Cork marathon too, av pace today 8:03min/mile. HRM av reading is 152 for the run!!Which if true is very good, I have my suspicions though, must hook up the batteries to a multimeter at work on Monday ;)

Another good week, 35.6miles in total, 121.6miles for month, mileage is consistent now, as is the long run, hit by a head-cold this week, but thats a once off hopefully! will drop mileage a small bit next week to lead into Dungarvan, also acts as a step-back week which is nice.

Heineken cup now for the day and maybe Avatar later :D

• Advertisement

HRM av reading is 152 for the run!!Which if true is very good, I have my suspicions though, must hook up the batteries to a multimeter at work on Monday ;)

multimeter reads 2.99V, battery is sound, but reasoned now why heart rate was low on sat, the freezing fog must have had an affect? Either that, or our mulitmeter here needs calibration ;)

Advertisement