Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

4.4 mile recovery run, pace 8:10min/mile. This one was slowed right down to start with. Legs tender after last nite's effort.

Feeling good now last while, starting to get some good training in at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    4.4 mile recovery run, pace 8:10min/mile. This one was slowed right down to start with. Legs tender after last nite's effort.

Feeling good now last while, starting to get some good training in at last.

Glad to hear you're feeling good about the running again. Don't ever be afraid of running slow. I ran 3 miles this morning at 8:30 pace after a tough track session yesterday and legs feel great now

Went down to track this eve, but no way was I going doing a session, legs still tired, so just jogged around with a few groups as they were warming up and that.

7miles total with 6*100m strides after. Resting tomorrow.

Best of luck tomorrow....dry run for the big one in ballycotton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck tomorrow tno. im no. 376 - wearing all black. say hello if you see me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck tomorrow...

good luck tomorrow tno. im no. 376 - wearing all black. say hello if you see me.

Cheers lad, best of luck yourself...I'm #381, Eagle AC black singlet, black shorts and blue racers! ;)

62:11 in Dungarvan. Very happy as worked hard for it in 2nd half. Was at half-way in 31:00 with theboyblunder but hit rough patch then, came back well and finished with a 6:00 last mile. that's a minute faster than my time in Ballycotton last year!

Will put up more of a report tomorrow, I'm wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

62:11 in Dungarvan. Very happy as worked hard for it in 2nd half. Was at half-way in 31:00 with theboyblunder but hit rough patch then, came back well and finished with a 6:00 last mile. that's a minute faster than my time in Ballycotton last year!

Will put up more of a report tomorrow, I'm wrecked!

Congrats Tis on a really good time! Its nice when all the training/effort is rewarded with a time like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Strong running today, if you get back to solid training I'll only be seeing the back of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great stuff tno - nice to meet you today and congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Missed you todyt tno...well done...another good 5 weeks training and have a right go in Ballycotton.
    We will catch up at some stage at some race somewhere im sure...

Miles 1-5: 6:09, 6:10, 6:14, 6:11, 6:18
    Miles 6-10: 6:20, 6:17, 6:14, 6:21, 6:00

Half way in 31:00.
    1:02:11 (my watch), 1:02:13 (official)

12miles total.

A bit nervous going into this one, while I had ran a couple of races in last week or so (tempo last Sunday and 3k Tues nite), I still had question marks as to what pace to go for. The tempo I had ran in 6:15 so was gonna aim for that, that would be a 62:30, which I’d have bitten the hand off ya for at the start line yesterday.

A one mile warm-up to loosen the legs, and decision on wearing gloves was made, though I left the hat behind for once ;)

The pace at start was fast enough, a lot of good runners I said to myself here today, and looking at how many finished ahead of me verifies that! Through the first mile in 6:09, ok, a little faster than what I would have liked, but lets see how the next mile goes, again a steady 6:10. I was making a bed for myself here now with the 6:10 splits, but I couldn’t really settle into a group to run with, people were still trying to settle into a pace I guess.

Third mile saw me lose a bit of pace, but it was inside 6:15, so I allowed that and the fourth mile I was back in range with a 6:11. Feeling ok now through the four miles, and I started doing some sums in my head to see what time I was looking at now. But the fifth mile I found tough enough, just started to feel a bit sluggish and not sure why. A guy in a neon vest ran alongside me and asked was I on boards.ie, it was theboyblunder! Sorry I couldn’t chat to ya a bit more but I was in a rough patch and wasn't sure what was around the corner. We went through 5miles in 31:00 dead, but I felt I was slipping in terms of pace.

The sixth mile, I couldn’t keep with theboyblunder and saw the pace slip for the first half of it. But I did rally well to get a 6:20 split. I was working hard though I felt and wasn’t sure how long I could keep the effort up. My thoughts were to get to 8miles now and see how far off 50minutes I’d be. 6:17 for the next mile, again working hard, but I found myself playing a game of cat and mouse with a few runners as they passed me and I passed them, if I was in no-mans land, then I’m nearly certain I’d have backed off. I remember in Ballycotton last year that is exactly what happened me when I went through a rough patch.

Through 8miles in 49:48 or thereabouts and hearing that spurred me on. I knew what the last two miles were going to be like, the climb on the main road and the nice finish in the last mile. I wasn’t worried about losing pace on the climb as I knew I’d have it in me to finish strong. I ran steady up the climb, and 6:20 for the mile split was good enough. Another 6:20 mile split would have given me 62:30 and I could have settled for that, but I felt stronger as I got into the last mile and I could feel the pick-up in the legs.

Some runners passed me, but not too many (BeepBeep was one of em!), the last 0.5 mile I was in pain but I kept thinking how it was like when your on the last mile/2km repeat at the track and you feel like ****e, but you keep it going. A 6:00 mile split was very nice to finish with yesterday.

Very happy with my running yesterday, I worked hard through the middle miles, I could have easily backed off and jogged to the finish, but I didn’t and got my PB. Good to meet seanynova (on crutches) after as well as BeepBeep (I won’t let you pass me next time!) and well done to theboyblunder on getting that time yesterday, very nice negative split!

Dungarvan I’ll see you again next year...for the goodie bag alone ! ;)

Monday: Rest (did go for a good walk at lunch-time to loosen legs a bit).

Tuesday: 8miles with 2*mile intervals at 6:12min/mile.

Went to track this eve, with intentions of just going for a jog. Jogged for 5miles with a fella going doing Tokyo marathon in a few weeks, interesting chatting anyway! Track group were just about to get going as I finished the 5miles, so said i'd join them for a couple of mile repeats. Legs were sore, but just wanted to stretch them out a bit.

Did 2*mile intervals off 2min recoveries at 6:12min/mile. Was tempted to do a third, but legs were tightening so just jogged a mile cool down.

This morning legs are feeling ok, hopefully head to gym later.

Haven't been on here in a while, had a lot on last wk with work and at the wknd. After the track last Tues I did a 3.5mile recovery run on Wed evening, legs very tired so opted to take a rest day on Thurs. Was at a stag then last wknd in Clonakillty, so no running there either!

Started back into some bit of reality this week.

Monday: 3.5miles easy paced on grass.
    Tuesday: 7miles with 4*1mile repeats at 93s/lap target in Lane 3 of CIT.

Hard session cos the wind was a bitch each lap, was backing out after 3, but myself and another lad ran the 4th, tho my legs were hanging half way through it. Reckon the wind was worth about 2s/lap.

Splits: [6:22, 6:18,6:16,6:26], so average of 6:21, or 6:09 in Lane 1.

The compression tights are on today, recovery run later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Haven't been on here in a while, had a lot on last wk with work and at the wknd. After the track last Tues I did a 3.5mile recovery run on Wed evening, legs very tired so opted to take a rest day on Thurs. Was at a stag then last wknd in Clonakillty, so no running there either!

Started back into some bit of reality this week.

Monday: 3.5miles easy paced on grass.
    Tuesday: 7miles with 4*1mile repeats at 93s/lap target in Lane 3 of CIT.

Hard session cos the wind was a bitch each lap, was backing out after 3, but myself and another lad ran the 4th, tho my legs were hanging half way through it. Reckon the wind was worth about 2s/lap.

Splits: [6:22, 6:18,6:16,6:26], so average of 6:21, or 6:09 in Lane 1.

The compression tights are on today, recovery run later.

windy out there last night! didnt really see ya till you were gone past last night, i was just hobbling away on the outside lane :o

seanynova wrote: »
    windy out there last night! didnt really see ya till you were gone past last night, i was just hobbling away on the outside lane :o

It was good to see ya back running Sean, last time you were on cructhes like, onwards + upwards ;)

Wed: No running, wrecked after work, even had early night.

Thurs: 7miles with 2*10mins at tempo. Not sure of pace of tempo, but I was running hard. GRound was wet at farm, so was slipping a bit at times, but good session. Finished it with 4*hill repeats after, driving up the hill and jogging back down before going again, be good to add a few more repeats to the session.

14miles with the club this morn. The route was down around Monkstown/Passage but took on a lot of hills today(~1500ft climbing) Great for legs though. Av-pace was about 8:10min/mile. Not worried bout pace to be honest, was just good to get the distance and hills in.

You runnIng Eagle 5 thus weekend? Have you done it before? How tough a course is it?

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    You runnIng Eagle 5 thus weekend? Have you done it before? How tough a course is it?

Dont mind that Eagle run the w/e gringo...come down to Kilmac...guaranteed PB for ya...( not sure what yours is though ),but its super fast...

Apologies tno...but you know its a good route !

Sosa wrote: »
    Dont mind that Eagle run the w/e gringo...come down to Kilmac...guaranteed PB for ya...( not sure what yours is though ),but its super fast...

Apologies tno...but you know its a good route !

>90km drive....too far....I'll only drive 10km max for every mile raced.

>90km drive....too far....I'll only drive 10km max for every mile raced.

Didnt realise you were that far away gringo,You do know where Kilmac is i presume...its just past Dungarvan...15 mins

Didnt realise you were that far away gringo,You do know where Kilmac is i presume...its just past Dungarvan...15 mins

From a lot closer to there but living in Cork city so a fair ol drive. Only 5min drive to start line of Eagle 5 so no contest!

I'll head down to it alrite Gringo, haven't ran it before, but its a hilly enough course, looking at results for some years there, they'd be slower than some of Ballycotton series courses. Good test for Ballycotton 10 itself like. Be good to see you down there!

I ran Kilmac last year, def a course for a PB and yet another well run race by the Waterford crowd!

I'll head down to it alrite Gringo, haven't ran it before, but its a hilly enough course, looking at results for some years there, they'd be slower than some of Ballycotton series courses. Good test for Ballycotton 10 itself like. Be good to see you down there!

I ran Kilmac last year, def a course for a PB and yet another well run race by the Waterford crowd!

You should be a politician tno,very diplomatic in your efforts to try keep everyone happy

You should be a politician tno,very diplomatic in your efforts to try keep everyone happy

I'd be a good bit better at it I'd say than some of the TD's down in East Cork anyhow ;-)

I'd be a good bit better at it I'd say than some of the TD's down in East Cork anyhow ;-)

There all the same boy.....those 5 muppets on the telly last night made me cringe

7miles over hills, 7:40 pace.

Legs still weren't great from Saturday's hilly run and a bit tired so opted to skip track session tonite and do an easy run instead.

• Advertisement

Wed: 3miles easy paced + a few hill strides after.

Thurs: 6miles with 8*400's at track off 200m jog recovery.

400 splits: [80, 82, 79, 78, 79, 80, 79, 78], all in Lane 3.
    av-split: 79s.

Felt good to get this session in, last two were hard-going. On the last one, I was full sure we had done one in say 76s, but the split showed 78s. COuld def feel the effort as the # of 400' grew. Next time, add two more.

Advertisement