Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Clocked it at 30:50.

Hadn't ran since thurs, wasnt drinking last nite but was out and was a late one. Not the best preparation for a race!

Was in two minds about whether to go as tempo run or to run it hard. The course is very testing with a good few climbs, so said I'd see how it goes.the wind wasn't gonna help things tho as I noticed when I was warming up!

First mile was net downhill and fast, 5:45 I think. The rest of the course was hilly, the worst coming in the 3rd mile, my legs really weren't there for me on the hills today, unusual for me! Finished strong tho with a 6min mile, net downhill mile tho again.

I think being in no-mans land didn't help things, the thoughts of whether your doing this run as a tempo run or not are not good when your struggling to get up a hill. A good test tho and glad I ran it, as its a good run for Ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tisnotover wrote: »
    Clocked it at 30:50.

Hadn't ran since thurs, wasnt drinking last nite but was out and was a late one. Not the best preparation for a race!

Was in two minds about whether to go as tempo run or to run it hard. The course is very testing with a good few climbs, so said I'd see how it goes.the wind wasn't gonna help things tho as I noticed when I was warming up!

First mile was net downhill and fast, 5:45 I think. The rest of the course was hilly, the worst coming in the 3rd mile, my legs really weren't there for me on the hills today, unusual for me! Finished strong tho with a 6min mile, net downhill mile tho again.

I think being in no-mans land didn't help things, the thoughts of whether your doing this run as a tempo run or not are not good when your struggling to get up a hill. A good test tho and glad I ran it, as its a good run for Ballycotton.

That was a good training run tno,one you would not do on your own...i had one on a hilly 5m last week aswell....served its purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Well done...ye snuck the team prize yesterday....

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Well done...ye snuck the team prize yesterday....

Got word of that late last nite, they must have counted placings after categories/placings or something....sure East Cork would have got it otherwise!

Good to meet up, see you in Ballycotton! :)

Monday: 3miles at recovery pace.

Tuesday:
    6miles at track with 3*mile repeats at 93s/lap target in Lane 3.

Splits: [6:07, 6:03,6:12], average 6:07 (~5:55 in Lane 1). Tough Session. Legs feeling it from the hills on Sunday. Very hot pace being set on 3rd rep, lads at front coming in at 5:45 in Lane 3. And they did same for a 4th rep. Would like to join them some-day!

Wednesday: 3miles easy paced + 6x strides after. Legs tired from last few days. Will see how I am for tomorrow's 400's. Might just do 7/8 miles instead.

• Advertisement

Track session

6miles with 8x400m off 200m recoveries.

Splits: [79,82,79,80,80,79,77,83], all in lane 3.

Wasn't really feeling it tonite, a windy track didn't make it any easier.
    Got 8 in, but would have liked to have done 10.

Resting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Track session

6miles with 8x400m off 200m recoveries.

Splits: [79,82,79,80,80,79,77,83], all in lane 3.

Wasn't really feeling it tonite, a windy track didn't make it any easier.
    Got 8 in, but would have liked to have done 10.

Resting tomorrow.

Hi tno, havne't checked in on you in a while. With all this track work your doing, whats your target? I'd imagine you'll be giving a sub 5 mile a go in the near future, at least ;)

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Hi tno, havne't checked in on you in a while. With all this track work your doing, whats your target? I'd imagine you'll be giving a sub 5 mile a go in the near future, at least ;)

Sub-5 is def a target for this year. Hope to do it at one of the graded track meetings during the summer here in Cork.

Next week I've the Ballycotton 10, looking forward to that as its one of the closest and definately the biggest race close to home.

The main target for the summer is to break 29min for 5miles. Hopefully the track sessions will stand to me. The mile splits will be going to km repeats and the 400's will get faster soon!

Your in good form too I see from your own log, good stuff :)

6.6miles with 2.2miles at tempo.

Tempo was one lap of farm. Hit 6:10min/mile average pace with Niamh Ground was very soft, so put on the spikes for it. Even then it was tough going. Would have liked to do 2xlaps at tempo but I was tired today.

Off now on a stag to kinsale! :-)

Monday: REST (legs seriously sore after paintballing Saturday)
    Tuesday: Track Session. 6miles with 3*mile repeats, splits: [6:07, 6:10,6:09], all in Lane 3, off 2min recoveries.
    Wednesday: REST (though I did go for a 1hr walk with herself)
    Thursday: 5.2miles easy with 4*strides after.
    Friday: REST

The stag last wknd was mad-crack, and the paintballing especially, really got into it, but body was in bits that evening, between some bruises, but especially my quads from rolling and crawling along ground.

An easy week called for (very easy compared to some of the logs on boards.ie lately!). Tuesday was decent, perfect condition for running, with no wind at the track, felt good during the repeats like.

I'll rest today and do 2/3 miles tomorrow before Ballycotton Sunday. Looking forward to this now, excitement is building.

A time in the low 61:xx ballpark is the target. Plan at moment (subject to change) is to average 6:10's for first 5miles and to treat it as a five mile race there after. I came 120th last year, but I reckon I'll be doing well to get around that this year, for a top-100 you'll def have to break 60 i'd say, its gonna be a fast field at the front.

• Advertisement

A time in the low 61:xx ballpark is the target. Plan at moment (subject to change) is to average 6:10's for first 5miles and to treat it as a five mile race there after. I came 120th last year, but I reckon I'll be doing well to get around that this year, for a top-100 you'll def have to break 60 i'd say, its gonna be a fast field at the front.

I think you're right...could be close on 100 sub 60s this year. Best of luck Sunday and we'll see you down there

I think you're right...could be close on 100 sub 60s this year. Best of luck Sunday and we'll see you down there

Best of luck Sunday lads...looking forward to reading the reports.
    Sub 60 is a tough one up there...how much of the 5m route is in there ?
    The first 2.5m of the 5m was handy its just the last 2.5 that was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck on sunday lads, run a sub 6 mile for me!

62:20 in Ballycotton today. I'm happy in that its over, but not happy with how I faded in last couple of miles. I had nothing in tank for the climb at 8.5 miles.

Just outside my pb, but Ballycotton is harder than dungarvan, still its a pb for the course, so I'm keeping my chin up! ;)

Good to meet Gringo too down there.

62:20 in Ballycotton today. I'm happy in that its over, but not happy with how I faded in last couple of miles. I had nothing in tank for the climb at 8.5 miles.

Just outside my pb, but Ballycotton is harder than dungarvan, still its a pb for the course, so I'm keeping my chin up! ;)

Good to meet Gringo too down there.

Well done tno...whats next for you ?

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done tno...whats next for you ?

Breaking 29mins for 5miles is the goal for the summer. I'm not too far off 30mins at moment, but will need a race to get that in, and take things from there. There's no rush with the 29mins, but doing it in one of the Ballycotton Summer Series would be nice. :)

A bit more reflection on yesterday.

Garmin shows the following splits:

First 5miles: 30:54
    Second 5miles: 31:26
    Went through 10k in 38:30.

And through 8miles I clocked: 49:39. In theory I would have broken 62mins if I ran 6:10's to the finish. That wasn't happening yesterday with the legs I had going up the climbs in the 9th mile. In Dungarvan I ran 62:13, so I wasn't too far outside my PB, and if I'm honest with myself, the training between the two races hasn't been specific to 10mile racing, i.e. a big lack of tempo running!

Time to regroup, and I'm gonna focus on the shorter stuff for a while and try and rebuild the speed. Next Sunday is the Munster Road Championship in Beaufort, Kerry, and i've put my name down. Its four miles so will give it a good crack hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done tno. climbs at the end are a killer. In real terms you are getting faster - no doubt

A bit more reflection on yesterday.

Garmin shows the following splits:

First 5miles: 30:54
    Second 5miles: 31:26
    Went through 10k in 38:30.

And through 8miles I clocked: 49:39. In theory I would have broken 62mins if I ran 6:10's to the finish. That wasn't happening yesterday with the legs I had going up the climbs in the 9th mile. In Dungarvan I ran 62:13, so I wasn't too far outside my PB, and if I'm honest with myself, the training between the two races hasn't been specific to 10mile racing, i.e. a big lack of tempo running!

Time to regroup, and I'm gonna focus on the shorter stuff for a while and try and rebuild the speed. Next Sunday is the Munster Road Championship in Beaufort, Kerry, and i've put my name down. Its four miles so will give it a good crack hopefully.

Good to have targets tno,when i broke 29 last year in ballycotton it felt like i broke 28....that was a tough last 2.5m up there,i will never forget it.
    I remember looking at my watch at 2.5m,it read 14:04...i thought guaranteed PB here today and then i was introduced to the hills :eek:

I remember you telling me one of those 4 runs had a fast route though.

Sunday: 13.5miles@8:15min/nile over hills
    Monday: 6miles easy-paced
    Tuesday: 7miles with 4*1mile repeats at 6:20min/mile
    Wednedsday: REST

Decided to start back up this log. training has been getting a bit more consistent the last month or so. I've ran a 5k and a cross-country race before christmas and will run a 4mile race this sunday, as a warm-up for the dungarvan 10 sunday week.

Last year was a very tough one and running was put on the back-burner. For the summer, i'll target the ballycotton 5mile series as key races, at the moment, it is just all about getting the training back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Sunday: 13.5miles@8:15min/nile over hills
    Monday: 6miles easy-paced
    Tuesday: 7miles with 4*1mile repeats at 6:20min/mile
    Wednedsday: REST

Decided to start back up this log. training has been getting a bit more consistent the last month or so. I've ran a 5k and a cross-country race before christmas and will run a 4mile race this sunday, as a warm-up for the dungarvan 10 sunday week.

Last year was a very tough one and running was put on the back-burner. For the summer, i'll target the ballycotton 5mile series as key races, at the moment, it is just all about getting the training back on track.

good to see you back tno

welcome back tno....knew you would be back eventually.
    I'll keep an eye out for ya Sunday week.

Friday: 5miles easy after work.
    Saturday: rest, well did go for a walk, but no running!

Sunday: 8miles with 4mile race in 24:55.

ran the cork bhaa fmc 4 mile race today, huge numbers at it, which delayed the start. warm-up told me that wind would be behind us for first 2miles, and into it on way home. felt good for first couple miles and was working for 3rd, no real climbs in it to be honest, 4th mile was a long stretch, and kept it together to pass a club mate near the end, if he wasn't ahead, I might have backed off the pace.

Thats about 6:15 pace or so, and is a sanity check of where I am at the moment. happy out with how I ran today to be honest and looking forward to dungarvan next week.

P.S. will look out for ya Sosa, keep some some sandwiches for me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's alive - welcome back!

Monday:
    4miles easy in the dark. pace was as slow as possible to give legs a chance.

Track this evening.
    Race number for dungarvan came yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Good to see you back logging, tisnotover. Looks like you're getting good training in. I'll be in Dungarvan myself at the weekend for my first race in a long time!

Race number for dungarvan came yesterday :)

Welcome back - we'll see you in Dungarvan on Sunday

tues: 3mile warm-up, 3*1mile repeats at 6:20min/mile, 1mile warm-down.

legs tired tonite, expecting that, but got 3 repeats in, no point in tearing ass out of it with the 10miler on sunday. I think next time out I can jump up the pace a bit, 6:20 is comfortable now.

Good to see you back logging, tisnotover. Looks like you're getting good training in. I'll be in Dungarvan myself at the weekend for my first race in a long time!

good stuff lad, all the best down there, i'll post my race number there on friday, might bump into ya
    Welcome back - we'll see you in Dungarvan on Sunday

will watch out for you, 1500 registered, should be a good one. what type of pace you at these days?

• Advertisement

wed: rest, cinema, Edgar, only alrite, action film next time I think!

thurs: headed to track, very cold nite and wasn't expecting the rain that came in middle of session.

did about 6miles with 8x400m thrown in. 400's were pedestrian enough to be honest, fell in with a group doing just under 7min pace. no place to hide from rain tho and a wet track.

thinking of doing a circuits class tonite, but if the guy going with me pulls out, i prob will too!

Advertisement