Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Dungarvan 10 in 64:10

Very happy with that time. Ran with 3 club-mates from Eagle for first 5miles, Niamh, Maura and JohnD. Great to have company as we all settled into the race. One thing was clear today, a big crowd and a very fast field.

Niamh opened a gap on us as she Passed a Leevale girl, and I went with it as far as I could, but the stitch came. I reckon that was down to the change of pace and secondly I haven't done mild repeats faster than 6:15 in a long time.

Rallied well for last three miles, steady up the drag up the main road, and finished well with a fast mile to get 64:10.

Would have gladly taken 65 today, but as I got more into race a good 64:xx time was on so I pushed for it.

Great to see Sosa and Shane down there and thanks to BeepBeep for the shout out in last mile!
    Rest now and will up the pace of the mile repeats for next block of training. That will bring us into Ballycotton and Mallow, where I'll push for more hopefully.

Mon: Core class.

Legs not too bad today, but instead of doing 4miles easy, I went along to a core stength class with a lad from club. Good tough session and will go again next week, the exercises are a step up from what I did last yr in gym, and I don't think I'd push myself as hard outside of a class.

Good news, new pair of DS Trainers arrived in post, 17 model, a little different to last ones, but a good fit, with what looks like a bit more room in toe-box.

track tomorrow.

Tues: track

7miles with 4xmile repeats off 2mins. pace of repeats about 6:20 average didn't think the repeats would be that fast, but calfs were ok, so went with it. good banter among the group, a lot of lads got some nice PB's in dungarvan. Will up the pace next time. thinking of doing the kenmare 10k, looks like a hilly course which would be good training.

Wed: REST.

Thurs:
    5miles with 7x400m off 60s recovery. averaged about 85s/400m. About right, 90s would be too slow, and legs tired for anything faster. will build on this next few weeks and maybe mix some 800's.

11.5miles at 8mins/mile over hills this morning with the club. good run and I was strong on the hills, but I felt tired. a few of us were thinking of doing a few miles more but legs were saying head home!

thinking of doing the kenmare 10k next wknd as I might be down there that saturday.

• Advertisement

mon: 6miles easy after work, legs tired.

tues: no running, headed to Dara O Briain, very funny!

wed: 6miles with 4miles at 6:50min/mile, felt good, bit of a mix/match type of run, I had missed track last nite, and still wanted to put legs through a bit of a workout. Half of me is thinking I should be able to increase the number of miles at this pace. its a good steady run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tisnotover wrote: »
    mon: 6miles easy after work, legs tired.

tues: no running, headed to Dara O Briain, very funny!

wed: 6miles with 4miles at 6:50min/mile, felt good, bit of a mix/match type of run, I had missed track last nite, and still wanted to put legs through a bit of a workout. Half of me is thinking I should be able to increase the number of miles at this pace. its a good steady run.

Hi TNO.
    You seem to be well on the road back. Was reading back a bit on your training there and we seem to be at about the same stage right now.
    Do you have an ultimate target in mind (sorry, didn't read back too far:rolleyes:).

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Hi TNO.
    You seem to be well on the road back. Was reading back a bit on your training there and we seem to be at about the same stage right now.
    Do you have an ultimate target in mind (sorry, didn't read back too far:rolleyes:).

no marathon target or anything, but I do hope to be race-fit for a 5mile series down here over summer. a lot of lads at club are ahead of me and i'm playing catch-up and thats great motivation in itself. first step, get down to sub-30 for 5miles again. after that I'll pick out another target.

5miles with 8x400m off 1min recoveries.

Averaged the 400's in 82s, happy with that as its fastest I've ran them in a while.few of us in group, which always helps!

Sunday

10miles with 1-2-1-1 at tempo pace. Only hit 6:30 for first tempo mile and was nearly gonna quit run altogether but went again and was on 6:20 pace for next tempo mile so kept it going for another. A 5min jog before going again and hit 6:20 again, 3min jog and a 6:15 mile.

A tough session physically and mentally as well. 6:20 fell out as the pace today and will aim for this pace but doing 2-2-1 or 1-2-2 the next time.

The other frustration was the amount of walkers, buggies and kids out and about, but sure it was fault for going out so late today!

• Advertisement

Tuesday at the track.

7miles with 4xmile repeats at 6:10min/mile off 2mins recovery.

Wasn't feeling it tonite, breathing was fine, legs weren't and stomach churning, but got thru it. Will keep this 6:10 pace going now for another 3wks, try and get used to it, 6:00 then for next phase after Ballycotton.

Wed: no running, except a walk and some core when I got back.

Thurs: 6miles with 4x800m at 85s/lap target pace.

Splits were 2:48, 2:48, 2:46, 2:47.

happy with this, met a few of usual lads warming up+suggested trying 800's for a change, as we had done a good few weeks of 400's. The 800's were def worth doing, and you could feel it on the 2nd lap of each, where normally you;d have stopped by now! ;)

Next week, maybe back to faster 400's or a mixture of 400-800's. I like the speed sessions, they are short+sweet and done before you know it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Are you running the Eagle 5?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Are you running the Eagle 5?

not this year, are you?
    Thinking of doing the dungarvan 10k the week before ballycotton, or else i'll do 3x2mile in training.

how's your running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

not this year, are you?
    Thinking of doing the dungarvan 10k the week before ballycotton, or else i'll do 3x2mile in training.

how's your running?

Why dont the 2 of ye come down to Kilmac this Sunday...fast route....

Sosa wrote: »

its tempting, but won't get a pass for it i'd say!

are u doing dungarvan 10k?

No,unfortunately not tno....im working next w/e,but im not that bothered,i have a few races to choose from over the next few months.
    I may head up to mallow actually...will decide nearer the time.

Sosa wrote: »

Would love to but wouldn't get the pass. Carrigaline for the eagle 5 with pre-registration and a playground at HQ means I might just be able to convince the wife to come along!

Would love to but wouldn't get the pass. Carrigaline for the eagle 5 with pre-registration and a playground at HQ means I might just be able to convince the wife to come along!

I hear ye lads...im the same...its a continuos struggle

12miles at 8:15min/mile over hills this morning.
    Looked like we were gonna get soaked but it brightened up. Two big hills on the loop this morn, both about a mile long.

Happy with training this week.

• Advertisement

6miles at 7:50min/mile after work.

Didn't do anything yesterday, legs needed this run tonite, those hills gave me a few pains here and there in legs, but all gone a few miles in tonite, track now tomorrow. aiming for 5 repeats of 6:10 pace.

8miles with 4xmile repeats at 6:10 min/mile target pace off 2min recoveries.

tough nite for it out there, misty, but it was the wind that made it that bit tougher, but we managed to get some good splits in.

splits: 6:10, 6:08, 6:06, 5:58.

The last one was done with just two of us, and the other fella said he was only doing 800, but we went through in 3:00, so I pushed on, on my tod to dip under the 6min mark. wanted to do 5, but not tonite.

45mins of core exercises this evening.

Getting into this a bit more now last few weeks and into a bit of a routine. Dug out the advanced marathon book by Pfitzinger which has a good few exercises in it.

Decided not to go for a recovery run this eve, back of my throat is sore, and could be getting a cold...hopefully not.

Decided not to go for a recovery run this eve, back of my throat is sore, and could be getting a cold...hopefully not.

Start downing the berocca....there's a bad flu going around, laid me low for 2 days and it started out as a slight sore throat few days beforehand.

Start downing the berocca....there's a bad flu going around, laid me low for 2 days and it started out as a slight sore throat few days beforehand.

how are things? tx yeah, I've been trying the vitamin C thing and berocca, so far so good, got a session in tonite anyway. a lot of bugs around at moment, air conditioning at work doesn't help!

7miles total with 2 sets of 8 x 200m.
    We kept things going by jogging to the next 200m, took a 3min break between the sets.

All 200 splits were between 33s and 35s, for the second set they were all under 34s. I found this tough, but there was five of us doing it, with one of us leading out in turn.

I think the mile repeats on a tuesday are fine, and the pace can move up gradually off them , but mixing up a second session with either 200's/400's/800's should help get some speed back into my legs.

Jasus those 200's took it out of me. sore arches, sore hamstrings and quads last few days, weren't too bad this morn, but not 100% either but still wasnted to head and down for the race today.

2mile warm-up and legs loosened out a bit. At start line, I spotted a hare for myself, Corrina Walsh from W.Waterford, and said she'd be prob doing about 38:xx pace. Off we went adn first mile in 6:10, felt ok, legs weren't great, but I thought things were comforable enuf. was running side by side with said hare, for pretty much rest of race, the 2nd+3rd mile had a few drags in it and pace seemed to have dropped with us.

Ended up coming onto 2nd half of Dungarvan 10mile race, which has some fast sections. I felt I was stuck in gear though, I can tell ya I was working tho, working to keep ahead of Corinna! Through the 5mile mark we were still level, but she pushed on past me at the top of the hill and a gap opened up, which I couldn't close till finish. Was very tempted just to put brakes on and jog in till finish, but I rallied again and finished strong enuf, but couldn't close gap.

Finished in 38:58 I think, 6:17 av-pace, and happy that I dipped under 39mins. I def worked hard there today, I thought I'd be down around 6:10 pace, but I didn't have it today!

Splits: 6:10, 6:26, 6:17, 6:22, 6:17, 6:13, 1:02.

Will take it handy now this week with the training and back off a small bit for Ballycotton. It was a hard week and body needs to recover I think!

Feet up now, watching the sport for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice running, some solid race times to build on later in the year.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice running, some solid race times to build on later in the year.

Cheers BeepBeep, in December I barely averaged the same pace in a local 5k, so I can see the improvement with training last while, be nice to get down to 37:xx towards end of year.

How are you fixed? You did some good mileage this week? Hopefully the niggles will sort themselves out soon for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Jasus those 200's took it out of me. sore arches, sore hamstrings and quads last few days, weren't too bad this morn, but not 100% either but still wasnted to head and down for the race today.

2mile warm-up and legs loosened out a bit. At start line, I spotted a hare for myself, Corrina Walsh from W.Waterford, and said she'd be prob doing about 38:xx pace. Off we went adn first mile in 6:10, felt ok, legs weren't great, but I thought things were comforable enuf. was running side by side with said hare, for pretty much rest of race, the 2nd+3rd mile had a few drags in it and pace seemed to have dropped with us.

Ended up coming onto 2nd half of Dungarvan 10mile race, which has some fast sections. I felt I was stuck in gear though, I can tell ya I was working tho, working to keep ahead of Corinna! Through the 5mile mark we were still level, but she pushed on past me at the top of the hill and a gap opened up, which I couldn't close till finish. Was very tempted just to put brakes on and jog in till finish, but I rallied again and finished strong enuf, but couldn't close gap.

Finished in 38:58 I think, 6:17 av-pace, and happy that I dipped under 39mins. I def worked hard there today, I thought I'd be down around 6:10 pace, but I didn't have it today!

Splits: 6:10, 6:26, 6:17, 6:22, 6:17, 6:13, 1:02.

Will take it handy now this week with the training and back off a small bit for Ballycotton. It was a hard week and body needs to recover I think!

Feet up now, watching the sport for the day!

nice job tno, a lot more in the tank yet!

Advertisement