Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

4.5miles recovery at 8:30min/mile. ouch, legs tired! no speed-work tomorrow, if anything an easy run and some core.

Headed to the track for a few mile repeats.

3mile warm-up then 3*mile repeats at 6:35min/mile, 1mile warm-down.

Dropped down the pace compared to last week, legs needed the loosening out. Still not right, but getting there. will rest tomorrow and just go for a walk instead.

Wed: 40min walk + some core. My girlfriend was curious about the core, so she joined me, think she's better than me at the exercises, typical!

Thurs: 5miles with 4x800m. splits were: 3:03, 3:04, 3:06, 3:04. Handy enough session, none of us wanted to push boat out (we'd done 2:50's for same sessiona few weeks ago.)

Legs are bit better, will rest again tomorrow, a few miles easy on sat morn and ballycotton then sunday. I'm hoping to get a 63:xx time if i'm right on the day, it'll be tough tho, last year my time in ballycotton was very similar to dungarvan. Will def give it a go tho, there'll be plenty of black (Eagle AC) singlets down there to keep an eye on and chase down for me! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck on Sunday

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday
    Cheers lad, should be good!

• Advertisement

Ballycotton 10 splits:

6:25
    6:14
    6:22
    6:27
    6:41
    6:18
    6:13

63:50

First half: 32:10
    Second half: 31:43

A race of two halves this one, walking from car park in, you could tell into wind for first half, and behind u for second. I set off aiming to go through first couple of miles no faster than 6:20 pace, last yr I went out harder and felt I paid for it in end. 

Got good enuf position at start and off we went. Looked at farming after half a mile and eased back the throttle, its way to get caught up with the excitement in that opening mile. Wanted to settle into pace, but my stomach was at me a bit. So even tho pace was comfortable, inside I wasn't!
    Started to pick up a few places over next few miles. The targets were my club-mates, funny to see em all in a line in front of you down road!

just goin thru 4th mile, I got a stitch, a bad one and I had to put brakes on. Tried to relax breathing but it wouldn't shift, I tell ya I really felt like stopping and when I saw a club-mate doing same I nearly joined him. Through 5miles in 32:10, and I still had a chance at my target if it'd shift. Grellan in his Vibrams went passed me on downhill and gave some encouragement, stitch went a half mile later and now wind was at my back.
    Looked at watch and saw pace was good. I knew I could still get a good time if I kept it going. Managed to pick off a lot of runners in last few miles, which is a good way to finish. I knew sub-64 was on as I passed mile 9. deliberately didn't look at watch and just kept going. 

Happy with how I raced today. I had right plan for conditions and recovered well from stitch. 

Mallow next. So tempo is def about 6:20 pace and I'm hoping to push maybe 63:20 up in mallow. Good position to build on now for rest of year.

3miles jog*/walk strategy with my other half. Perfect for a recovery run, legs tender. We'll see if I can get a runner out of her yet!

*dont think 10min/mile can be counted as running??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice result tno (great negative split). Pity we didn't meet-up before/after the race. Gonna have a go at the PB in Mallow?

Nice result tno (great negative split). Pity we didn't meet-up before/after the race. Gonna have a go at the PB in Mallow?

Cheers KC, next time, you'll have to come back down and get another shirt next year...sure one isn't enough!?! Yeah, will give Mallow a go, hopefully stitch problems will sort themselves out...i''m thinking its down to lack of racing. we'll get there!

7miles with 3 mile repeats at track. dropped down couple of pace groups tonite, legs not great, but wanted to give them some bit of turnover.

splits: 6:35, 6:33, 6:34. great bit of banter around track, a lot of lads got pb's in ballycotton, and are after more in mallow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

See you in Mallow tno...well done Sunday

5.5miles with 8x400's at track.

Wasn't in mind for a 6mile jog on my own, so said i'd head to track and fall in with whatever group was doing. Few lads were doing 400's, so joined them, tho no idea how my legs would be. didn't want to go too hard as I'm not recovered from Ballycotton yet.

Splits: [1:24, 1:23, 1:21, 1:22, 1:21, 1:22, 1:21, 1:20].

Happy enough with these, strong wind on one stretch of track, but they felt more comfortable as I got into them and could have done a couple more, tho the group bailed after eight.

10miles with 3x10mins at tempo pace. Took 3mins between sets.

Tempo pace: [6:21, 6:20, 6:15]

Had planned to this all week, and it's a session that I want to being more into my training. happy with how it went, hard but not all out either.

Pissed off in that Ive lost my running jacket, had thrown it into the side near a bench before I started first tempo, at start of last tempo it was there again. Gone, when I went passed same spot in my warm-down. Not sure what its worth to someone, yrs old, but it means a lot to me. Met one of lads from club in car-park and said he'd have a look out when he was passing.

Sun: A day of rest, didn't make the club run in morning, stayed in bed, body was just tired and I listened to it i spose!

Mon: 6miles at just under 8min/mile with a lad from work. Nice run, sometimes it really is good to get a bit of air after work.

track tomorrow.

3mile warm-up
    5xmile repeats off 2min recoveries
    1mile warm-down.

mile repeat splits: [6:14, 6:12, 6:14,6:09, 6:07]

Good session tonite, effective pace looks a bit faster than this, as we were doing a lot of weaving around runners (sometimes out in lane 4/5!), but i'll take the splits. Breathing was fine and legs felt good, I was working, but I could have done another one.

Lads are talking bout doung a pyramid speed session on thurs, so might give that a go.

Wed: 40min brisk walk and some weights after.

Thurs:
    Track session out at CIT. A bit of a wind to test us on one half of track but I'm nearly more surprised if its not there these days. No real plan in my head for what session to do, but warming up with a few lads, we settled for a few 800's.

2mile warm-up.
    5x800's targetting 85s/lap, 2min recoveries.
    1mile warm-down

800 splits: [2:48, 2:50, 2:46, 2:50, 2:46].

All in all, a good session, 400s at that pace is no problem, 800's you do feel it, would be real nice to get upto 1k repeats at that pace, but there's time for that yet.

Rested yesterday.

Out this morn for an early run with a few from club. 7miles at 8min/mile. Legs feel good, so ready to give mallow a good go now I think. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tisnotover wrote: »
    Rested yesterday.

Out this morn for an early run with a few from club. 7miles at 8min/mile. Legs feel good, so ready to give mallow a good go now I think. Looking forward to it.

See ya tomorrow tno.

Sosa wrote: »
    See ya tomorrow tno.

Definately, weather should be grand for it if a bit windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Sosa wrote: »
    See ya tomorrow tno.

Definately, weather should be grand for it if a bit windy.

Might see ye there if no kids crisis between now and then.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »

Might see ye there if no kids crisis between now and then.

Good stuff Shane, see ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck to all three of you!

Mallow 10 splits:
    6:20
    6:19
    6:10
    6:32
    6:24
    6:34
    6:15
    6:21
    6:03

63:18 total 
    First half: 31:40

Very happy with this, as it was my target time and pace. No stitches today either, even tho I was on the limit, they didn't come, unlike Ballycotton.

Windy enough in parts, and through miles 5,6 it was tough. I was in a tidy group upto mile 4, but i pushed on from them as we went thru it. Only think one person passed me in 2nd half, whereas I took a good few scalps, including some lads that would have beaten me in Ballycotton. 

As one of lads said after, I'm back to where I was two yrs ago and its a good thing. I know for sure that 6:20 pace is my tempo pace at moment and will try to knock it down over rest of year. 

Great to meet Sosa down there again, who ran very well! 

5mile recovery run this evening, at a snails pace (just under 9min/mile!) did a few strides after, hopefully legs will be in better of it tomorrow. they aren't too bad, but they weren't going < 8min/mile tonite!

Reflecting over last few months i'm happy with my lot, training is consistent and i'm in a good place to push on. Your as good as your last and all that. Next focus will be the ballycotton 5 mile series in may. The jump to doing 6min mile repeats will also have to be made (if I can do it in the last mile in a 10mile race its a good start!).

The other target is doing lots of threshold training, the 3x10mins session I did a couple of weeks ago was a good one and plan on doing more. hopefully I can get the tempo pace down over the summer.

Off to Prague for the wknd on thurs so looking forward to the break, hopefully will squeeze an easy run in tomorrow eve.

40mins core exercises.

no time for running this eve, busy packing, and with legs looking for a break I gave in. went thru the core routine I have going now with some weights as well.

6miles easy paced after work.

Back from the hols, this run was a hell of a slog tho, felt very tired.did a fair bit of walking while I was away, and maybe legs were tired from that. Hope to get to track tomorrow.

3mile warm-up, 4xmile repeats at 6:10 av-pace, 1mile warm-down. 8miles total.

Only two of us in the group for this, the first group were doing 5:48 pace, I'm not there yet! First repeat a bit fast, but got it right for others. Bit if a niggle in my right calf for last one, so called it a halt at 4 repeats. Its on with the compression tights I reckon!

Didn't run yest, compression socks on the calf for the day at work and all last nite. took them off this morn and calf felt fine. said i'd head to track and fall into some group and test the leg out. First time ever doing a session with compression socks on, but the leg was fine during the warm-up so off we went.

Session was 10x400's targetting 85s/lap, with 200m jog recoveries.

6.5miles total with splits: 83,83,84,82,81,83,80,82,79,79, so about 82s average.

Good session and pushed it harder as we went on, strange training in such warm weather!

No running fri and sat. We had a christmas party in Killarney fri nite with a free bar and i was in the recovery position yesterday, someone had the bright idea of drinking black Russians!

Ucc10k was on this morn so I had it pencilled in as a tempo run from start of week. Ran 8miles total with the 10k at 6:30 av-pace according to the garmin. A good session, but I was hoping to hit closer to 6:20 pace like in mallow a few weeks ago. But I'm happy with it, it was comfortable enough and I know that I would have found it tough to run the same straight 10k on my own!

• Advertisement

Track session today.

3mile warm-up with 3 x mile repeats targetting 6min/mile off 3min recoveries. 1mile warm-down.

splits: [5:57,5:58,6:00]

very happy with this, conditions weren't the best, very cold+back on with the hat+gloves, we even had some hailstone, completely different to last week! I know its only 3 mile repeats but I haven't done them at 6min/mile pace in a long time....onwards and upwards!

Advertisement