Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Just went for a walk yesterday eve, legs were tired and the strong wind made my mind up to not running!

Today, pyramid session at track.

3mile warm-up
    400, 800, 1200, 800, 400.
    1mile warm-down.

recovery was 200m jog except for 1200, where we jogged a lap

splits: [82, 2:50, 4:23, 2:51, 76]

good session, the first 400 could have been faster, but was holding back cause of what was coming after it. the 1200 was a tester alrite.

Adding a 1600 and 1200 to this would be a right tough session i'd say! But good to mix up paces, we had 400's done last week, so didn't want to do same session again.

Friday: 4.5 miles easy-paced at 8min/mile. Legs felt fine

Sat: 13.7 miles over hills. Headed out with club on one of usual hilly loops. A lot of lads training/pacing marathons and were doing longer so I cut back on some of loop and did a lap of farm at end. Felt I needed to get a run like this under belt again. Next week will aim for 3x10 mins at tempo or something similar.

3mile warm-up.
    4 x mile repeats targetting 6min/mile off 2min recoveries.
    1.5mile warm-down.

mile splits: [6:00,5:58,5:57,5:59]

Found this tougher than last week when I had done three at 6min, tired after wknd I guess. Again, a bit of wind was there to try and knock us off our stride. Got thru it tho, but it will take a while before i'm "comfortable" at the pace.

Thurs: Some 800's tonite, mixing it up again. not as many in the group for it, but at least I wasn't on my own!

2.5mile warm-up.
    5x800's targetting 85s/lap(2:50/800), 200m jog recovery.
    1mile warm-down

800 splits: [2:52, 2:52, 2:49, 2:48, 2:44].

Happy with this and felt stronger than the last time I did 5x800 a month or so ago. In fact I probably could have done another one, I heard somewhere thats the time to stop too tho, less is more or something like that??

I led the first lap and another lad would bring us home for the last 400. The last one was a good blow-out at end, 5:30 pace! :eek:

Hope to do 3x10mins sat morning, i'm tempted by cobh 10 but will give it a skip.

8miles with 2*10mins + 1*5mins at tempo pace.

pace was 6:15,6:15,6:20. Felt ok once I got into it, got out a bit later than I wanted to this morn and roads were that bit busier. happy with the pace, in/around my 10mile pace so we'll build on that.

looking forward to watching marathons tomorrow. think eurosport are showing paris.

• Advertisement

Sunday: 5miles easy paced recovery run. Legs tired.

Mon:rest, easy decision in end, weather was dire!

Tues: track, mile repeats. Dropped down pace tonite as first of evening races is on thurs evening in Balintotas. Went with 6:20min/mile and we were spot on, but I can tell ya it felt like 6min miling. Wind was brutal on back stretch, just had to put head down and drive into it. Did 3repeats, ran
    7miles total.

Sessions now might be shifting to km repeats on Tuesdays, so that'll be good. Prob targeting 5k race pace at first. The 4mile on thurs will give me a good idea of where things are.

10miles with Ballintotas 4mile road-race in 24:30

Aim tonite was to go out at 6:00min/mile and see how things went. Mile splits tell the story really: 6:00,6:00,6:17,6:13.

I felt ok for first couple of miles and was with a couple of club-mates but just at start if 3rd mile, a gap opened and I lost some pace to them. Big effort I felt to hold 6:17 for that mile. For last mile, I didn't look at watch at all, and just ran as hard as I could. 6:13 for that mile, most if it into the wind.

I'm happy with the time, and the race was a good time-trial. Course very flat in fairness and will remember for pb material in next few years!!

I suppose I've only done two sessions of mile repeats at 6min pace, and I found them very tough. Thats the pace to be dialled into now tho, that and tempo work at 10mile pace.

Fri: rest, legs tired + felt coming down with something.

Sat: woke up with sore throat, was expecting this, last few weeks I've avoided catching it at work, but I knew it had to come my way eventually!

Got out for 4.4miles very easy paced in evening,actually put on the HRM and kept it < 150, to loosen legs. 30mins core after.

Sun:
    feel worse than yesterday, won't run today, pity as I wanted to do a tempo. will take it handy now till tuesday, hopefully it'll have shifted. at least I've the london marathon to watch, good stuff!

0 miles all of last week, got a bad dose of various stages of a head-cold so kept the body indoors. the only exercise was some core-work which was no harm anyway.

Tested the water on sat, but only managed 4 miles before calling ashore.

Last night was a good bit better and ran 5.6miles, seem to be over it now and felt good during the run, even though the wind was crazy! Its like the middle of winter out there at the moment. There's a graded mile race at CIT tonite, so will give that a go, it'd want to calm down a bit outside first tho!

Well I bailed out on doing the race, was not up for this at all after work.

Just ran a 6mile loop instead, unlike last night it was tough trying to hold even 8min/mile and the conditions were much better this eve.

Made a nice homemade curry when I got home though, so feel better now!

• Advertisement

9miles with Midleton 5 mile road race in 31:25 tonite.

happy with this, mile splits: 6:06,6:17,6:24,6:28,6:07.

you can see the course profile in the splits to be honest ;-) Turns out its the same as time I ran last year. was in no-mans land after 1 mile would you believe, partially my own fault as I left a club-mate go ahead of me, prob should have gone with him. anyways its a good benchmark for the ballycotton series. Am away in portugal for next week, but looking forward to doing some speedwork when I get back.

Last week: Lagos in Portugal, nice break, sun, sea, sand, superbock, sangria! def recommend it to anyone. got a couple of 5mile runs in but to be honest the heat put me off doing any more.

this morn I got my act together and got out for 8.5miles on grass at 7:50min/mile, great morning for it. hoping to put down a few more consistent weeks now. The 5mile series in ballycotton is coming up and hope to improve on my times as the summer goes on.

Monday: 6miles easy paced around Blackrock loop, legs not too bad.

Tuesday: 6miles with track session at CIT.

3x3mins with 3mins recoveries was the session, and was effectively all-out for each interval. Don't have garmin data, but was slowing after each repeat. Running in lane 3, we did go thru two laps, but not as far as the next 100m mark if ya know what I mean . Bitch of a wind there this eve, didn't help this lanky runner! Anyways great to be back doing some speed-work, thats the plan for the summer.

Rested yesterday, quads sore-ish after tues so just went for a walk!

Today: 2x(4x400) at 80s/lap target with 80s recoveries. 3min between sets.
    Looking at splits, I was about 77-78s for all of these. Another lad from club was going doing 400's at 90s/lap so joined him for 2 more 400's (88 splits) to bring it upto 10x400's.

Found it very tough, company would have made it easier, but I'm well used to track now and know how to get even splits at each of the 100 marks.

6miles total.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Jog recovery or standing?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Jog recovery or standing?

Jogged (slowly) to next 100m before going again, a few stretches sometimes. For the 3mins I rested fully to get heart rate down. Best way I spose would be to have it continuous running?

Early run this morning, 6.5miles at 8min/mile. Hamstrings tight, but were lossened out in end.

9miles on grass early this morning. Met up with one of lads from club. Great morning for it. All roads lead to the Ballyandreen 5 mile on Thursday nite, dreading the hills already!

Monday: REST. I did have a monumental battle with some flat-pack furniture, next time I really should read the instructions!

Tuesday: 6miles with speed session at CIT.

Same session as last week, 3x3mins with 3mins recoveries. av-pace was 5:15, 5:20, 5:24 for each of the intervals. good session and ran a bit further for the 3mins this week. Had a couple of hares to chase down which helped, might wear my racers next time tho.

Happy with this, faster than Midleton 5 mile, a few weeks ago and I think a know a few reasons why. It was roasting in Cork yesterday afternoon, but it cooled down nicely just before the start last nite, a little bit of a cool breeze even for the first couple of miles, which helped a lot.

Mile splits: 6:15, 6:05, 6:05, 6:59, 5:46.

Start was better tonite, went in late into the start-line as it is a very narrow stretch on a country road (uphill) for the first 1/4mile or so of the race, as gun went, settled into a position in around a few club-mates, behind those who I knew were faster and on shoulder of those who'd be in around my pace. 6:15 split was maybe too good, in that there was a good bit few drags through it, probably the adrenalin getting me through it.

For mile 2, a fella who has been coming along to the track session on thursdays pulled up beside me, so we agreed to work together for next few miles, I was saying think of it as a 4mile race. Got some nice splits, mile 2, 6:05, mostly downhill, and a steady mile 3 in 6:05 as well.

Then the start of the 4th mile. At 3.5miles there is a good hill until the 4th mile mark and you will lose time there, but people forget about the start of the 4th mile. you are climbing right from the start, a look at the garmin at one stage showed 6:35 pace, this is where I lost the guy I was running with too, he shouted for me to go on. As you swing left at 3.5miles there is nothing to do but to jsut dig in and get up the hill. It is torture for the head, "did I run too fast for first 3miles", "am I gonna blow-up", but the one thing ya have to think about is "it is fast downhill for last mile!".

6:59 as I passed through the 4mile mark, let the legs recover. I could hear some breathing behind me, and sure enough up popped a fella looking serious. tracked him as my legs were starting to recover on the flat section of the 5th mile and then, time to push on. The balance in the last mile is pushing as hard as you can, while trying to avoid a stitch. I did well with a 5:46, but I didn't beat your man to the line, and I reckon if I had it, it could have been worth another 10s.

very happy with the result and think I raced well last nite. key was getting pace right from start and secondly running with someone and not being in no-mans land.
    onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Fri: 3miles recovery + 4*100m strides after to loosen out legs.

Sat: 0miles.

Sun: 11.5miles with club, 8:10 pace, a good few tapering for Cork next wknd. All hoping that the temperature drops!! I won't be doing it or the half this year but will head to watch it.

Mon: 6miles easy at 8min/mile pace, bit of tightness in legs, after hills on run Sunday. will prob head to track later.

Tues:

There was a 5k race on tonite, but felt I'd be better off training intead. Decided to do 4-5 km repeats at 84s/lap, 3:30/km target, 3min recovery. Most of club-mates either tapering for Cork marathon or went to race, so track was quiet, one lad did hook up with me for the 2nd one on tho.

Got 4xkm repeats in with splits: 3:32, 3:31, 3:31, 3:29. The other lad was doing another one, so I ran 800 with him, with a 2:44 split.

6.5miles total, happy with the session tonite and hit a good pace. Be nice to bring the recoveries down towards the 2min mark!

Wed: Rested.

Thurs: 400's at cit.

5.5miles total with 7x400m with splits: [76,77,75,74,77,74,75]. The recovery was a walk/jog to next 200m. Fastest I've ran 400's in a while I reckon and something to build on, wore my old hyperspeeds, a great track shoe!

6.5miles easy after work. Legs tired after yesterday but were loose after this. Savage humid out there. Finished up with a few sprints afterwards.

7miles with 8 x hill repeats in middle.

Did something different today, some hill-work. Found a short sharp-hill nearby and ran as many repeats as I could. Hard up-the-hill, jog back down up the hill, go again. Good session and will try it on a few different hills over next while.

Tuesday: 6miles easy on grass, ended up running with a few lads from club so miles went by easy. Chatting about how gang did in the marathon on Monday. Four of my club-mates went under the 3hr mark, which is brilliant, one lad in his first marathon! Legs were a bit sore-ish since the hills last Sunday, but loosened out as I got into the run. did a few strides after as well.

Wednesday:
    6miles with Cork Graded 1500m in 4:53. Had my eye on this since wknd, and thankfully the weather improved about 6:30 this evening, was ****e all day here with heavy showers before that. Ended up being 2 races, so I went with second one as at least it'd feel that bit more competitive there. A good few from club doing it, with Colin the one to watch for me. So at the gun, I slotted in behind him and another runner. Very happy how the race went, I was in a good position throughout and was as comfortable as you could be at this pace. I had my eye to close the gap to Colin with 300m to go, but he kicked on there two, taking 2nd in the race, unfortunately I got pipped for 4th in the last 50m. Works out at about 78s/400m, which is pretty much where my training has kinda been around the last while for 400's. Roll on the next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tisnotover wrote: »
    Tuesday: 6miles easy on grass, ended up running with a few lads from club so miles went by easy. Chatting about how gang did in the marathon on Monday. Four of my club-mates went under the 3hr mark, which is brilliant, one lad in his first marathon! Legs were a bit sore-ish since the hills last Sunday, but loosened out as I got into the run. did a few strides after as well.

Wednesday:
    6miles with Cork Graded 1500m in 4:53. Had my eye on this since wknd, and thankfully the weather improved about 6:30 this evening, was ****e all day here with heavy showers before that. Ended up being 2 races, so I went with second one as at least it'd feel that bit more competitive there. A good few from club doing it, with Colin the one to watch for me. So at the gun, I slotted in behind him and another runner. Very happy how the race went, I was in a good position throughout and was as comfortable as you could be at this pace. I had my eye to close the gap to Colin with 300m to go, but he kicked on there two, taking 2nd in the race, unfortunately I got pipped for 4th in the last 50m. Works out at about 78s/400m, which is pretty much where my training has kinda been around the last while for 400's. Roll on the next one :)

great job in the 1500m tno, lots more to come off that no doubt

6.5 miles with 4x800's at CIT. ran these with a club-mate, legs not too bad at all after yesterday's race. 800's were about 2:50-2:52, grand like, especially with the way the weather was, track was saturated!

Off to Tom Petty tomorrow nite, a few beers!

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    great job in the 1500m tno, lots more to come off that no doubt

cheers speedy, legs are getting their speed back, nice to mix it up with some track races!

Advertisement