Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

7miles with 3x10mins at tempo pace, 3min jog recoveries.

hit 6:18,6:15,6:21 pace. Found these tough today, but a good session to get in. Must wear hrm next time out to see how pace compares.

Mon: 5miles easy, inside of right leg a bit sore, did a good bit of core work on Sunday, and might have overdone it a bit on squats.

Tues: 7miles with speed session of 1min/2min/3min/2min/1min fast with equal recoveries. Paces were about 4:50 to 5:20. Leg much better than yesterday. Prob either 400's or 800's on thursday.

Wed: 4miles, recovery pace, bit of a niggle in my right hamstring, woke up with it, lots of stretching.

Thurs: 0-miles, weather ****e, but also said i'd mind the leg. Did half an hour of core exercises instead and some weights.

Friday: 4miles, caught a break in weather, and took advantage, hamstring a bit better. Headed out to dinner afterwards for herself's birthday.

Saturday:
    7mile progression run, 8:30 pace to start with, finished at 6:40 pace. Ended up to be a nice run, wasn't sure how body would have been after a few pints Fri nite. but felt strong and leg was fine.

Sunday: 0miles. Was at a BBQ till 4am last nite, good crack. Had a chance to get a run in today, but skipped it. Will start afresh tomorrow.

Bit of a light week this week, but no harm in that. Needed to mind the hamstring anyway and think I got my alcohol intake covered for next six weeks !

Mon: 5miles easy on grass. Pitches were soaked after the heavy rain in morning, more like training for cross country than anything! Good tho, nice to have the soft ground ;)

Tues: 7miles with speed session of 1min/2min/3min/2min/1min fast with equal recoveries. Same session as last week, a lot more bodies around tonite tho, which was good, as I had plenty of heels to pace off. Paces were about 4:40 to 5:15, so faster than last week, good session. We did 6*50m strides to warm-up as well.

6miles with one of lads after work. Very humid this evening, would have liked a puff of wind to cool ya down! Legs not too bad after yesterday. I'm focusing a lot more on doing a proper stretch before and after the track sessions, especially the faster ones.

• Advertisement

Cork Graded 3k at CIT.

6.5miles total with 3k in 10:36. Was hoping for 10:15 to 10:30, but as I toed line 10:30 was in my head, 84s/lap. There was a strong enough wind blowing one stretch of the track and if ya didn't stay in a group you'd be found out.

Settled into a nice slot for first lap and pushed up a little further to take shelter from Colin one of my club-mates. He was running within himself and very steady+I was very glad of shelter!The first 2-3laps I was relaxed and breathing was fine, it felt comfortable and through the first km in 3:28 I recall.
    Not sure what we went through 1600m in, but I lost Colin as we passed it, he was pushing on for next few laps and I couldn't go with him. I knew from the last 3k I did on track that lap 4-5 was where you had to really work. The next time split I wanted to hear was for 2k, I reckon it was 3:30-3:32. So steady, but I was feeling it. The shoulders weren;t as relaxed as they were and the body was praying for a 2min recovery!

The last km was tough, a 3:36, and I got passed by a couple of runners. Its amazing how your brain just switches off in the latter part of a track race, the lap splits are being called out to ya, but they don't make sense!

So 6s over, solid enough I reckon, thats about 85s/lap. there's a couple of more 3k's later in summer, and will hope to improve on tonite, lots more 400's/800's will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tisnotover wrote: »
    Cork Graded 3k at CIT.

6.5miles total with 3k in 10:36. Was hoping for 10:15 to 10:30, but as I toed line 10:30 was in my head, 84s/lap. There was a strong enough wind blowing one stretch of the track and if ya didn't stay in a group you'd be found out.

Settled into a nice slot for first lap and pushed up a little further to take shelter from Colin one of my club-mates. He was running within himself and very steady+I was very glad of shelter!The first 2-3laps I was relaxed and breathing was fine, it felt comfortable and through the first km in 3:28 I recall.
    Not sure what we went through 1600m in, but I lost Colin as we passed it, he was pushing on for next few laps and I couldn't go with him. I knew from the last 3k I did on track that lap 4-5 was where you had to really work. The next time split I wanted to hear was for 2k, I reckon it was 3:30-3:32. So steady, but I was feeling it. The shoulders weren;t as relaxed as they were and the body was praying for a 2min recovery!

The last km was tough, a 3:36, and I got passed by a couple of runners. Its amazing how your brain just switches off in the latter part of a track race, the lap splits are being called out to ya, but they don't make sense!

So 6s over, solid enough I reckon, thats about 85s/lap. there's a couple of more 3k's later in summer, and will hope to improve on tonite, lots more 400's/800's will help!

nice going tno. Yea, track is definitely a lot different than road running, easy to get lost with the laps and sticking to the pace etc.
    You should definitely be able to get into the 10:15 region, you have the endurane in the bank, like you said, some 4's & 8's will get you there.

0miles yesterday, legs weren't too bad, just body kinda tired all over so didn't feel up to it.

This morning I wanted to get a good session in, as up in dublin for a few days (Mon to Wed) with herself, taking in Chilli Peppers as well.

7.5miles with 4x1mile off 2min recoveries. Target pace was 6min/mile. splits: 5:57->6:02, so not bad at all. A tough session and its been a while since I did mile repeats like this. Next time 5 repeats, and after that decrease the recovery to 90s.

Was in Dublin last few days, took in Chilli Peppers last nite in Croke Park and High flying Birds, good concert, but thought sound might have been better, anyways!

Back on Cork turf this evening, so grabbed the runners and ran 5miles steady, with strides after. Felt comfortable enough. 2nd race of Ballycotton Summer 5 mile Series in Shanagarry tomorrow night, looking forward to it.

30:59 according to my watch, with splits of 6:02, 6:07, 6:23, 6:17, 6:10. 9.5miles total

Wet enough conditions for this one, but the wind wasn't too bad so it was fine really. 2.5mile warm-up told me legs were in good enough shape and no niggles.

Got a decent position at the start and quickly slotted inbetween some club-mates, the watch showed me running at 6min pace. I was aiming for a sub-31 tonite, so 6:10 pace would do me, but the 3rd and 4th miles are hilly with a good few drags. I could have pushed harder in the first two miles but the 6min pace felt ok and I was running on the shoulders of some runners who had finished in around me in the last 5mile race.
    2nd mile similar to first one, just trying to relax as much as possible. JohnOC from the club was about 5s ahead of me, with a a couple of others further up. the 3rd mile is where I lost the group I was in, they all looked at their watches and backed off, probably slowing down for the climb, but I pushed away from them. I ran a 6:23 here, which I'm happy with, I'd have taken a 6:30. Its a long drag of a mile, with no ease up. John was still 5seconds ahead of me, so I knew I wasn't in bad shape. The 4th mile has drags in it as well, but I wasn't losing ground. I caught two runners here, one who would ding-dong with me a bit over the next mile. there's a sharp downhill for 100m at one point, and was nervous of it, but I ran it fine and ran well up the climb out of it at the other side, catching a club-mate who had fell off a group ahead.

The sub-31 was looking tight as I went through mile 4. I knew I was running well tho, so just recovered after the hill and hoped that the legs would turn over a bit better. I didn't catch John, he stormed the last 1.5miles. But I did catch one other runner. With 400m to go, I saw the watch at 29:48, which gave me some motivation to push further and I crossed the line in 30:59.

Its a pb for me over the course, and I'm very happy with how I ran on the hills tonite, especially the 3rd and 4th miles. Continuing with the speed-work and I could be on for a nice result in Churchtown South.

• Advertisement

Fri: 30min recovery run on grass.
    Sat: no running but headed to gym for weights session and bit on rower,
    Sun: woke up wrecked and sore in upper body, weights session a shock to system. ran 7miles alrite, some hills and few strides at end.
    Mon: 6miles steady after work. pace a little faster than planned, but it felt fine so went with it.

track tomorrow.

was caught for time this evening so couldn't make track, instead I dialled up an 800m repeat session in garmin. ended up with 7miles ran with 8x800m at 5:50min/mile target pace off 1min recoveries.

Bit of a wind for this one,and while I hit pace for the first 5, the last 3 were a struggle, but I did hold it to 6min/mile pace. The hardest bit tonite was the recovery, which was shorter than I'd normally do. good session tho and one to tackle again in a few weeks.

Wed: 3.5miles easy, recovery from tuesday. with some strides and stretching after.

Thurs: 6miles with 8x400's off 200m jog recovery. Three of us met up at track for this and was glad of company. we averaged 78s, pretty consistent for all of them. Found this tough tonite tho, was warm for it and didn't help that I was out last nite at a work-do (even tho I wasn';t drinking!).

Tomorrow is a rest day.

Fri: REST
    Sat: 5.5miles steady. 21C when I got out for this one, the weather teaching me for having a rest in bed! glad of company of one of lads from club to be honest, might have bailed earlier!

Sun: 10min warm-up, 20min tempo (continuous), 10min warm-down.

Had this planned in my head since yesterday evening, I've done tempo session before where I do 2x10mins or 3x10mins, but usually with a break recovery.
    Today, I wanted to do it continuous for 20mins at 6:20 target pace. Also, I wanted to do it on an out and back route, so to try and go a fraction faster for second 10mins.

split paces: 6:18, 6:14. worked a bit harder for sure in second 10mins, a bit funny running back past other runners/walkers/dogs on return leg. prob thought I was a mad man. good session and will repeat in a few weeks.

Lots of sport to watch now for rest of day! :)

Mon: 6miles easy with one of lads from work. legs not too bad after yesterday.

Tues: 5miles with a few 400's and 200's at 5:50 to 6:00 min/mile pace at track. have a 5k tomorrow evening so took it handy tonite. Looking forward to a good blow-out tomorrow and hoping to do as many 5:50 min miles as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck tomorrow tno!

Some good training there recently.

Was up for this one, had a target of 18:05 to 18:25 in my head, from a few e-mails with lads from club earlier in week. registered and got in my usual 2mile warm-up. relax, change into racers, clean(er) shirt and trotted off to race start, for a few strides and stretches.

A good few from Eagle AC around, so there would be plenty of company out there. The course is flat out, no hills at all, the only bad thing is the surface, with a lot of pot-hole dodging to do.

Mile splits; 5:40, 5:57, 6:05, 34 giving 18:16 according to my watch. Went out I know now, too hard in first mile. In Shanagarry I was way more sensible and backed off when pace was too fast, tonite I didn't and I paid for it with the fall-off in pace you can see in splits. Mile 2 was all about consolidating the time, I knew the pace was slower but wanted to work anyway and see what the 2mile split would be. Two club-mates passed me on this mile, and I couldn't go with them.

2mile split was 11:37, it gave me encouragement that 18:25 was still on track anyway and maybe more if I ground it out. The less said about the 3rd mile the better. No-mans land and good few runners pass me, but I managed to stay ahead of a club-mate and finished ok to the line.

First 5k of the year and it was badly needed. the important things I take out of it is experience and prob to be a tad more sensible in first mile.

more track-work and sub-18 mightn't be too far off at all. right, a cup of tea now and I'm off to read the challenge roth reports! :)

Thurs: rest.
    Fri: 6miles easy with one of lads from work.

Sat: 0miles, did go for a walk with herself, does that count?

Sun: 8miles with 4.4miles tempo on grass.

Tempo pace was 6:25 average. nice session, a few of us from club met up and was great to have company, so much easier than on your own. Session would have good potential if we could fartlek it as well, I think I'm missing that at moment, I can do a steady pace , but not like adhusting to bursts of speed...food for thought!

At the end of the run last sunday warming down I could feel something in my back. Icing when I got home, but going to bed that nite I was in pain, even getting into bed and getting comfortable was slow motion stuff.

Had a rough sleep that nite and in/out of car following morning was same. Physio Tues eve on it helped, and getting around wasn't as bad after. chanced a 4mile run on wednesday eve, legs were fine, but could "feel" something in back. Friday, 6miles after work, was a bit looser thank god.

On sat I took it handy, but this morn I joined club tempo run at farm. 4.5miles at 6:35 pace we pulled out, tough going with wind and rain. It was a good test for the back, it feels like now a stitch that you kinda feel coming on ya. Its not interfering with the running, but its def there. I'm doing the stretches that physio gave me, but another trip might be on cards if things don't iron themselves out!

Mon: 6miles easy paced after work.

Tues: Only 3miles, no legs or mind for this at all, was wrecked after work.

Wed: 0miles

Thurs: Churchtown South 5mile in 31:17. 10miles total.

Fri: 0miles

Sat: 0miles

Sun: 10miles at 8min/mile.

Bit of a mixed bag of a week, a lot of things on this week outside of running, work busy and that. Good news is that my back is fine, the pain was gone completely by Wednesday.

The race on Thursday was a tough one. Went out prob too fast to be honest for where I am at the moment, and paid for it on the course in last two miles. Mile splits ~ 5:56, 6:00, 6:29, 6:22, 6:31.

The 3rd mile is tough and was hoping to have some time made up for it in first two miles. Thinking of it now Shanagarry is the same, with a tough 3rd mile, but I went out a tad more steady in that one, but I also felt stronger that nite compared to thursday. I was dead going through the 3mile mark, I knew a lot of runners would pass me in last couple miles and sure enough they did.

Maybe i'm missing sharpness, I haven't been at the track in a good few weeks, something that I will put right over next while. I have being doing tempos though. Anyway its one of those races to just put down to experience and move on.

• Advertisement

Been a while since my last update, so here goes:

Sun 29th: 10miles easy on grass.

Mon 30th:
    6miles easy paced after work.

Tues 31st:
    6.5miles with 3xkm repeats at 3:30/km, 3min recoveries, very tough nite for running, wet with a saturated track, but ran well for
    repeats, first speed session in a while.

Wed 1st:
    9miles with Novartis 5k in 19:30, plan was to this as tempo, felt fine throughout, I remember saying to one of lads it felt like a 10mile race pace, which I guess where tempo pace should be at. I did open up tank alrite for last mile, to get to 19:30, good session.

Thurs 2nd:
    rest

Fri 3rd:
    6miles easy, usual blackrock loop.

Sat 4th:
    10miles on my tod, slept in for 7:30am club run, but got my ass in gear and got a session in.

Sun 5th:
    4miles recovery on grass with a few strides.

Mon 6th: 5.5miles with 2mile fartlek session with a few from club. Good session and nice to do a fartlek for a change. some strides after.

Put in prob one of my highest weeks mileage in a while there last week, which is great, enjoying the running again which is main thing. Great motivation from watching the olympics, the mens 10k was savage.

Tues 7th: rest

Wed 8th: 6miles easy after work

Thurs 9th: 7.5miles with track session:

4sets of alternating 400m/800m, then a 400m, then 2sets of 4x200m

Fri 10th: 5miles recovery

Sat 11th: 11.5miles at 7:45min/mile, mostly flat loop with one big hill (1.5mile).

Sun 12th: London Marathon, ok, not quiet, but did head over to watch it with a few from club, great day out, unreal seeing the speed they pass you at, atmosphere was really good over there like. Meb ran a massive last 10k, but hats off to the Ugandan!

Mon 13th: 0miles, wrecked from the long day yesterday.

Tues 14th: 7.5miles with track session fo 5xkm repeats at 5:45min/mile av pace. good session, but wrecked.

Wed 15th: 0 miles.

Thurs 16th: track session, really poor weather, but got thru it.
    6miles with 8x400's, all in range 75-78s, happy with this as conditions were tough.

Fri 17th: 6miles easy after work.

Sat 18th: 0 miles.

Sun 19th: 5.5miles total with 3.7mile fartlek with few from club, good session and wrecked at end of it.

Main event next Thurs is Ballycotton 5 mile, so will take it handy this week as want to be fresh for it. Might do a track 3k on sunday as well, final graded meet for this year and a chance to knock some time off what I ran earlier in summer.

Mon 20th: rest

Tues 21st:
    6miles easy paced after work

Wed 22nd:
    rest

Thurs 23rd:
    8miles with Ballycotton 5mile road race in 30:59.

Ran a steady race and was ok on the drags in 2nd half. didn't go out too fast, but didn't have it in me to push faster than say 6:10min/mile pace either. My times for the 4 races in the series were all within 20seconds of each other, so pretty consistent. the counter to that is that I didn't get much faster either, can't have everything!!

Fri 24th:
    0 miles

Sat 25th: 4.5miles easy, legs tired.

Sun 26th:
    6miles, ucc 10k loop, legs much better today.

===================================================

Mon 27th: 6miles easy after work

Tues 28th:
    8miles with 4mile tempo at 6:25min/mile. got pulled along with couple of other lads, tough conditions for it.

Wed 29th -> Sun 2nd:
    0miles running but got out a couple of times on my new racer, a ridley noah rs, class bike and looking forward to putting some mileage into it!

===================================================

Mon 3rd:
    6miles with work-mate

Tues 4th:
    8miles with 4mile tempo at 6:20min/mile pace, 4 of us for this tonite and it felt much easier even tho pace was faster, but no wind/rain, perfect conditons. be great if we can keep these going over next while. hope to get out on bike for an hour tomorrow.

Will get on bike for easy spins for as much as I can in evenings till the light goes, then it'll prob be just at wknd. Other things in pipeline are to get back into core/strength work. Definately one thing I've noticed in the races lately is losing form 3miles into a race. was way stronger at start of year and need to get back to that.

Wed 5th: 18.5mile spin on bike

Thurs 6th: 5.5miles with 8x400's. all under 80s, with a few closer to 75s at end. 80s recovery for each.

Fri 7th: rest

Sat 8th: 10.5miles with 9miles at 6:40->6:45 pace, avhr 166. met up with couple of lads for this, on a flat loop, they were using it as a maraton paced run. wore the heart rate monitor to see what it'd be like and its not too bad to be honest for that pace, tho the conditions did help in that it was cool.

Sun 9th: 29.5mile spin on bike, first half over some hills, the 2nd half with wind behind me and on flat. avhr:127, av speed 15.5mph.

Tues 11th: 8miles with 4mile tempo at 6:15min/mile. nice group for this one, a couple taking turn to lead out each lap.

Wed 12th: 1hr easy cycle with my other half.

Thurs 13th: 10x400's off 80s recovery. averaged 78s for each. Will do 12 next week before switching to 800's.

Sat 15th: 12miles with 10miles at 6:40min/mile. Same loop as last week with a few more lads along for it. Got into a nice pace tho it did feel harder with 3miles to go.

Sun 9th: covered about 50k in 2hrs on the bike, did a flatter loop than last week, jsut wanted to let legs recover more than anything. I like the spin on the bike now and finding different roads to head down, one thing we're not short off in Cork is roads!!

Tues 18th: 8miles with 4mile tempo at 6:12min/mile. Again, had a nice group for this, like being on a bus!

Wed 19th: 1hr easy on the bike, nice way of loosening the legs after yesterday. Won't be able to do this for much more tho, getting dark earlier!

Thurs 20th: 6miles with 12x400's of 80s recovery. averaged 77s/lap. hardest session in a while, form was starting to go on last couple. move onto 800's next wk.

Starting a new job in a few weeks, hoping that training won't take too much of a hit, while things settle.

Few of us at club lining up the Waterford half in december as a target. Happy with the speedwork now at moment. I've also found the tempos hard, but running them in a group makes ya keep going.

Sat 22nd: long tempo run, 12miles with 10miles at 6:40min/mile, avhr:167. Hit a tough patch on 7th mile, nearly left group go, but it passed next mile mark thank god, prob with finish line in sight.

Sun 23rd:
    1hour easy cycle on bike. Got caught in the rain for a bit, but thank god I was near home, will wear the leggings next time! Aldi have some good deals this thurs!

Mon 24th: 6miles, 8min/mile around blackrock loop.

Tues 25th: 8miles with 4mile tempo at 6:15min/mile. wasn't feeling it tonite and got dropped off pace 3miles in, conditions didn't help either.

Fri 28th: Had work nite out (dinner,drinks) wed so had no time for a run and prob a bit too hungover to do a track session thurs eve. On Friday, I did nail a session though at the track. 6miles with 5x800's all in 2:48 to 2:50 region. happy and hope to build on it.

The wknd had no running, as I was over in Manchester with my dad for spurs game, never thought I'd be disappointed after seeing 5 goals at Old Trafford! ;-) they did play more like it in 2nd half, but first half was dire!

Mon 1st: 4miles, aiming to keep heart-rate under 150. this was a definate recovery run, a few strides after as well and stretches. hopefully down to track tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Tues 2nd: 7miles with 4mile tempo at 6:15min/mile. felt easier tonite, compared to last week. avhr: 174. need to add another mile to this and we'll be in good shape.

Wed 3rd:
    30mile cycle on me bike, nice loop around Lee Valley, Dripsey, Farran, ballincollig. nice tail wind to bring me home!

Thurs 4th: 7miles with 8x800's at 2:50 target split. All splits very consistent and averaged 2:48. last two were closer to 2:45! The company definately made a difference compared to running them on my own last Fri.

Off to Belgium tomorrow for wknd with herself, might just sample a few beers!

Advertisement