Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

The beers were class, even had my other half on the Hoegaarden! :)

so catching up:

Mon 8th:
    6miles, kept the heart-rate below 150, avhr: 146.

Tues 9th: 8miles with mile tempo at 6:13min/mile, avhr: 176. Found this very tough compared to week before, prob the few days off not helping.

Thurs 11th: 7miles with 8x800's all in pace 2:44 to 2:47, good consistent session, though I was hanging on for dear life at end!

Sat 13th: 12miles with 10mile tempo at 6:37min/mile, avhr:167. considering I had missed two weeks of this run, very happy how it went. the pace progressed from 6:55 pace to start to finish with 6:20's at end, and is prob the fastest we've gone around the 10mile loop.

Mon 15th: 4miles easy paced after work. track tomorrow.

Tues 16th: 8miles with 4mile tempo at 6:15min/mile,avhr: 171. tough conditions for this tonite, but slogged it out. need to move to mile repeats soon, to mix things up.

Wed 17th: 0miles, busy at work with new job so got no run in...need to get used to the earlier starts as well!

Thurs 18th: 5miles with 3x1km repeats at 90s/400m. Easy session as have 10k race on sunday.

Sun 21st: 10miles with Rebel Run 10k in 38:21.
    Hadn't raced since the ballycotton 10 in august, and had this one lined up with a while.
    A few of lads who I train with at club had it pencilled in as well. Course was testing enough to be honest, lots of drags with a nasty climb at end.
    Was hoping for a sub-38 beforehand, but I'm happy with my lot today. Good to get back racing and it shows where things are. onwards and upwards!

Been a while since my last update! busy with the new job, but have been tipping away at the running, touch wood...

Tues 23rd: 8miles with 4xmiles at 6:30 pace. recovery type session after race on sunday.

Thurs 25th: 7.5miles with 8x800's at 2:45->2:47 pace, off 2min recoveries

Sat 27th: 11.5miles over hills, 7:20 pace. prob a bit too fast to be honest, especially on hills, as it was longest run in a while.

Sun 28th: 7.5mile easy pace run.

===================================

Tues 30th: 7.5miles with 3mile repeats at 5:50 pace off 2min recovery. tough session, leaning over barrier for last one. been a while since I ran mile repeats!!

Thurs 1st: 7miles with 6x800's at 2:50pace. freezing conditions for this, but did well to average this pace.

SAt 3rd: 9miles easy paced. was out last nite for pints, so it was more like a recovery run!

Sun 4th: 9.5miles with 4mile bhaa race in 24:52. ran this at tempo pace, aiming to average 6:15 pace, and came in just under. good session and happy with it, after a 9mile run in my legs from yesterday.

===================================

Tues 6th: 8miles with 4xmile repeats at 6:00min/mile pace off 2mins. all splits just under 6min pace, so a good session. prob a bit ambitous to aim for 5:50's at this stage, so will stick with 6min pace for moment, till it feels comfortable !

A couple of races signed up for, Waterford half on Dec 1st and Dungarvan 10 in Jan. Might do County Intermediate as well in a couple of weeks. Few of us heading to half, so will aim training a bit more for this for next four weeks.

Thurs 8th:

8.5miles with 2x2mile, 1xmile, 1x800m all at 6:10 pace. The main session was a 3x2mile on the track, with a lap jog recovery inbetween each 2mile. I was feeling it in my left calf after the first two and took a rest after 3rd mile, to rejoin group for last 800m. A tough but great session, especially running with the group.

Sat 10th: 11.5miles over hills. Barely made the early start for this run,was in work till 9 fri nite, and took the 3rd alarm i'd set to get me up out of bed! nice to get a run in on hills though.

Mon 12th: 4miles easy.

Tues 13th: 8miles with 3xmile repeats at 5:50min/mile pace. 2min recoveries. horrible night for it, wind + rain at track but got through it and pace was bang on all way round.

Thurs 15th: 10miles with 3x2mile, 1xmile, 1x800m all at 6:10 pace. Per last weeks session, but added another 2mile section. Felt more manageable than last week and we'd more in group as well.

Sat 17th: 11.5miles, rafeen hill loop, 7:25pace.

An absolute disaster of a week running wise.

Monday was a 12hr stint at work, no time for a run after.
    Tuesday, I did manage to get to track, even tho I was late. 6miles with 3mile repeats at 5:50. legs felt dead+heavy tho and way tougher than last week.

Wed, was another late one at work, and so was thursday. so that meant missing another track session. Friday I was exhausted, and even tho I had best intentions with gear in car, I didn't leave work till 9.

I had to work then saturday and a half day today. managed to squeeze in 5miles sat morn, but it was a slog.

So yeah, a bit disgruntled with it all, but hopefully after thursdays deadline at work things will quite-down a bit at.

The waterford half is fast approaching (number came in post friday) and am looking forward to it, just hope I'm rested in time!

• Advertisement

Well work was another busy one this week unfortunately and our design review being pushed out from Thurs to Tues next week didn't actually change anything.

Got one session in this week, on Tues, 8miles with 4xmile repeats at 6:15-6:20 pace, my target pace for this morning. Thinking of it now, the effort on Tues was tougher than it should have been.

Today, I left house at 8 and was down in Waterford for 9:45, grabbed a cofee in McDonalds, 2mile warm-up and was ready to race. On way to start BeepBeep said hello, great to meet up again and chat before+after, see ya in Dungarvan!

I wasn't too bad at start line, prob the coffee and got into a group, which looked like 6:20 pace. Was with this group for first 5miles (31:45), before we went onto hills. The first 5miles were tougher than they should have been for that pace. Four wks ago, I ran a mile race and 6:17 pace felt way more comfortable in comparison!

The first hill broke the group up, but found myself running with a lad and a girl (Martina I think).Worked well with them over the hills over these miles, each of us taking a turn at the front. These 5miles were in 32:18, so 64:03 for 10miles.

It was at this point tho that the wheels came off, and funny eniugh it was on the flat. I knew before the race that this would be where ya could run strong to the finish if you had it, but today I didn't. The pace dropped back to 6:40's, 6:45, even a 7:17 through the park, I'd given up basically. I thought there'd be way more go past me in fairness towards the end. 1:25:02 as I crossed line, never as glad to see a race over!

I can take a few positives from race, I ran well on the hills and was comfortable enuf for first 5miles. Hopefully its down to tiredness and the long hours at works last 4weeks that are cause for the fade.

Time to rethink things now. Dungarvan is next pencilled in. I feel one speed session is enuf for moment, maybe to try and get more low intensity base mileage in once things settle at work. that and to get back on the core horse again. onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

In the same position as you regarding new job and trying to fit things in. Fair play to you though ya seem to be doing a better job of it than me fitting in running and races. It will stand to you and when things settle down ya will be flying again

Keep it up

ecoli wrote: »
    In the same position as you regarding new job and trying to fit things in. Fair play to you though ya seem to be doing a better job of it than me fitting in running and races. It will stand to you and when things settle down ya will be flying again

Keep it up

Sound lad, tis no joke changing jobs+when your up walls then like as well :rolleyes: End is sight tho, so hoping just to get out when I can now, it is winter training after all! Just read your last log post, nice one on the mileage this week, keep it up.

well, not much to report on really, work the same, up walls! got out 3/4 times last week for a few short runs but nothing major.

had a really good nite with club nite out sat nite, should be done more often.

A bit more focused now though starting this week. Have decided (and kinda forced into it after the last 6 weeks being so poor running wise) to step it back a bit and start building a base.

Stuck on the HRM last nite, and went for 4.7miles easy, not looking at pace but to keep heart-rate 145-155 range.

Tonite went to track, did 8.5miles with 4xmile repeats at 6:40/6:45 pace, effectively dropping down a few pace groups.

Thats fine, its all about building a base, over xmas break hope to get out as much as possible, but it'll all be about listening to the heart-rate.

Hopefully then, the pace will come later and it'll all start feeling easier again!

Interesting to read that Kaymin has started to do something similar on his thread. Will try his 2400m test in a few weeks.

In case I'm not active on here, enjoy the christmas break! :)

The last couple of weeks have been good, and I've been able to stick to my aerobic plans. Got out when I could and had my longest running streak in a long while.
    I'm ramping upto 50mile weeks if I can and so far all is going well, training at the lower heart-rates and all aerobic runs are not too stressful either on the body and I feel fresh every day, it also helps that i've been off work too of course!

Wed 19th: 7miles easy, avhr:151
    Thurs 20th: 5.7miles easy
    Sat 22nd: 11.5miles with club, av-pace 7:30, avhr: 166. Pace to be honest was prob a bit too hot for me as was working hard on hills, and is also reflected in heart-rate being high.
    Sun 23rd: 4miles, just to loosen legs after long-run. avhr:144.

week mileage total: 41 miles

Mon 24th: 6miles , avhr: 147
    Tues 25th: 4miles, avhr: 147
    Wed 26th: 5miles very easy, avhr: 139
    Thurs 27th: 11miles, avhr: 148
    Fri 28th: 4.4miles, avhr: 145
    Sat 29th: 13.5miles, avhr: 152, long run with club
    Sun 30th: REST

week mileage total: 44 miles

Mon 31st: 10.2miles easy, avhr: 149

Fingers crossed that I can keep this progression going, you'll see that I haven't mentioned the run-pace, it isn't really important at moment, but keeping the heart-rate within check is def more important.

Happy new year to all, here's to some PB's in 2013 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Happy New Year Kevin - see you soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

tisnotover wrote: »
    A bit more focused now though starting this week. Have decided (and kinda forced into it after the last 6 weeks being so poor running wise) to step it back a bit and start building a base.

Stuck on the HRM last nite, and went for 4.7miles easy, not looking at pace but to keep heart-rate 145-155 range.

Tonite went to track, did 8.5miles with 4xmile repeats at 6:40/6:45 pace, effectively dropping down a few pace groups.

Thats fine, its all about building a base, over xmas break hope to get out as much as possible, but it'll all be about listening to the heart-rate.

Hopefully then, the pace will come later and it'll all start feeling easier again!

Interesting to read that Kaymin has started to do something similar on his thread. Will try his 2400m test in a few weeks.

Hey tisnotover - I'll be looking on with interest to see how you get on with this approach. One thing about Hadd's approach is that, while most of the runs are at low heart rates he does recommend 2 or 3 runs per week, for 60 - 75 mins each, at levels approaching LT - so if you think your lactate threshold is somewhere between 160 - 170 HR then you might do these runs at 160 HR.

kaymin wrote: »
    Hey tisnotover - I'll be looking on with interest to see how you get on with this approach. One thing about Hadd's approach is that, while most of the runs are at low heart rates he does recommend 2 or 3 runs per week, for 60 - 75 mins each, at levels approaching LT - so if you think your lactate threshold is somewhere between 160 - 170 HR then you might do these runs at 160 HR.

Hi Kaymin, thanks for the post!

Hoping to get to 50miles this week and start into the higher aerobic runs then next week, while keeping the mileage constant. I know the approach pushes for higher weekly mileage but I don't see me getting the time to do this in next few months.

For me, another reason for sticking at 50mpw is I ran a sub-3 marathon two years ago and I think it peaked at a weekly mileage of 55miles. On the way I picked up some nice pb's at the time.

I've a link attached here which is further examples of HADD training summarized by one of the guys he was coaching:

http://can.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/90162

Very interesting to see how he identifies different aerobic zones for building upto 60mins of running. I'm looking forward to see how this training looks like and how progression might be.

hopefully we'll get some pb's this year off this base building!!

Thanks for the link - good to read that guy Pete say how his previous easy pace became much harder as a result of following Hadd's phase 1 programme. A month ago I was knocking out 7 minute miles with hardly an effort, now 7 min mile pace is like a tempo run! Hopefully all these mitachondria I'm developing will kick in soon.

Tues 1st: 6.4miles easy paced.
    Wed 2nd: 5.3miles easy
    Thurs 3rd: 10.6miles steady, 7:50min/mile, avhr:156.
    Fri 4th: 4.3miles very easy, avhr: 140.
    Sat 5th: 13.0miles over hilly loop, avhr:149.
    Sun 6th: 0miles, some core.

week mileage total: 49.8 miles

All easy miles again, and ramped up to a good mileage this week. Thursday's session was to target an hour of running at 155-160 heart rate, but found it really tough and could not going or settle into a pace. Afterwards I realised I should prob have split it into 2*3miles of effort or something similar breaking it up with a floating mile, thats one of suggestions Hadd recommends.

The run on sat was enjoyable on a hilly route, one of lads with us is training for Rotterdam and is following a similar heart-rate training program so interesting to chat to him about it.

I'm starting to see I've more stamina now and am finding the slower-paced aerobic runs easier. Its also easier to get out and do 10mile runs on my own, which I haven't done in a long time, always inclined to go with a group.

This week I might do the 2400m Hadd test, but will also re-visit the hour run at 155-160, I think the key is not worry about the pace, but to just see what falls out with respect to working through heart-rate zone itself.

Mon 7th: 6.1miles easy, avhr: 140
    Tues 8th: 9miles with midlle 6-miles fartlek.
    Wed 9th: 4miles easy with 4x100m strides after, avhr:140.
    Thurs 10th: 11miles steady with Hadd test #1, see results below.
    Fri 11th: REST
    Sat 12th: 14.1miles aerobic run in range 155-165 and over hills,avhr:156.
    Sun 13th: 5.4miles very easy, avhr: 140. some core.

week mileage total: 49.6 miles

2400m Hadd test results:

1.9mile warm-up
    1.2mile warm-down

With 2400m x 5 at:
    140,150,160,170,180 targets.

time,pace,hr,distance
    14:08, 9:06,143hr, 1.55mile
    90s, 130hr
    13:25, 8:39,151hr, 1.55mile
    90s,135hr
    11:58,7:47,162hr, 1.54mile
    90s, 145hr
    10:39,6:57, 172hr, 1.53mile
    90s, 151hr
    9:22, 6:04, 176hr, 1.55mile

The Hadd test was tough, I went off too fast for the first interval and was slowing down to keep the heart-rate in check, not the way to do it. As it went on it got easier. I did the session at track and was pretty dizzy by end!
    The 170 zone was ok, it felt controlled, the 180 was a different story, 176 was as close as I could get average to 180, and this was tough, I felt like stopping after a mile.

I'd no idea of what paces were until I finished session, as all I had garmin setup for was HR-lap, HR and lap-time so as to count the 90s rest inbetween.
    I was hoping that for 180hr I'd be hitting 5:50 pace, but this was not the case and for 170 I was hoping about 10s faster there as well. It does show potential and hopefully when I do this test in 5/6 weeks, there'll be a shift across paces.

Have averaged 46miles now, the last 4weeks which I'm happy with.

This week will aim for 50mile again with 3runs at higher aerobic zone, the rest will be recovery runs.

Mon 14th: 6.7miles easy paced, avhr: 140.
    Tues 15th: 9miles with track session (see below)
    Wed 16th: 5.3miles recovery run at luchtime at work.
    Thurs 17th: 9.7miles steady, very bad night with strong wind+rain. avhr: 148
    Fri 18th: REST
    Sat 19th: 13.5miles long run with club, 8:10 pace, hrm gave up after 5miles.
    Sun 20th: 8miles with little island 4mile in 24:32, 3m wu, 1m wd.

week mileage total: 52.2 miles

tues was a bad nite weather-wise, decided to head to track and fall in with a group. track was soaked undef foot. did 4x2miles at 6:40pace off 3min recoveries. felt comfortable for first three, last one was a bit tougher, but got it done. It was a bit of a dip in the water as hadn't done a session at this pace or under 7 in a while.

Sunday: planned to do this as tempo run, after yesterdays long run. Driving down was hoping for somewhere 6:30->6:22 and stuck with this for first couple of miles. flat course to be fair, and any of the drags in it felt comfortable, wasn't losing pace on hills.
    3rd mile saw 6min pace and decided then to hold that till end, catching groups up road. start of 4th mile saw 5:40 pace and just went with it, I felt I could hold it till finish.

Finished with a good split, haven't ran a mile in 5:40 in a long time.

FMC 4mile
    24:32, 6:08, avhr: 169

Mile 1: 6:26, 154
    Mile 2: 6:25, 172
    Mile 3: 6:01, 174
    Mile 4: 5:40, 179

Today is a confidence boost that the aerobic base training is going well and that I haven;t really lost any speed, even tho I haven't been doing mile repeats at this pace.
    It shows me that its a hell of a lot about having a good aerobic pace for these types of distances and the fact that I was able to progress in pace means I'm on right track.

It shows me that its a hell of a lot about having a good aerobic pace for these types of distances and the fact that I was able to progress in pace means I'm on right track.

Definitely a point many could take on board. Alot of people feel they slow down with base phase because they are not doing any "speed work" but to be honest this is just down to not doing a base phase correctly. You should still be stressing the body but just in a non intensive way and you will find that strength equals speed.

Would always keep up the strides also just to keep in touch with speed but for the main part many will see huge improvements on this alone.

Fair play with you training of late you are going well and it bodes well for the summer.

Whats the targets for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Thanks for sharing the earlier articles from Hadd. The PDF article is fantastic. http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Very thought provoking, even for a newer 'older' runner (who's in the middle of Daniels right now).

ecoli wrote: »
    Definitely a point many could take on board. Alot of people feel they slow down with base phase because they are not doing any "speed work" but to be honest this is just down to not doing a base phase correctly. You should still be stressing the body but just in a non intensive way and you will find that strength equals speed.

Would always keep up the strides also just to keep in touch with speed but for the main part many will see huge improvements on this alone.

Fair play with you training of late you are going well and it bodes well for the summer.

Whats the targets for the year?

tx ecoli, good point about strides, I only did them once this week and that was Monday, will try and add them after a few more runs.

will stick with this phase for another 6-8wks i'd say, I feel i'm getting stronger, but I still have work to do on aerobic runs, especially the mid-week runs upto 10miles.
    thinking of adding progression type runs in aerobic range, e.g. 3miles at 8:00 pace, 3 at 7:30, 3 at 7, T-runner described something similar in his log.

targets, sub-29 for 5miles would be nice, but will see how that goes, a low 29min would be a nice pb. charleville half is pencilled in as well. If I do hit my targets for shorter stuff in summer, then I might aim for dublin marathon.
    Thanks for sharing the earlier articles from Hadd. The PDF article is fantastic. http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Very thought provoking, even for a newer 'older' runner (who's in the middle of Daniels right now).

no bother, make sure you look up the speedwork side of it too, one clear thing I see is that the pace of Daniels easy runs are too hard in hadd terms, certainly for me off my heart-rate at moment.

• Advertisement

Mon 21st: 5.3mile recovery run, nearly took a spill on ice!
    Tues 22nd: 10mile aerobic run, icey conditions again tonite but found a spot by coast where I was able to go over and back a few times. ran by feel, pushing pace for a mile or two before an easier mile and going again. finished with some strides after
    Wed 23rd: 10k run with club, nice easy paced run, chatting away!
    Thurs 24th: REST, legs a bit tired, made a call on it to give them a rest.
    Fri 25th: 6miles steady after work. 6x100m strides after
    Sat 26th: 4mile easy with couple of strides, wind and rain unreal out there
    Sun 27th: 12.5miles with Dungarvan 10 in 1:02:15

week mileage total: 44.0 miles

Dungarvan 10 in 1:02:15, avhr:169, av-pace, 6:14.

After the weather yesterday and forecast for today I knew it was going to be a windy one. As the course was mostly in a loop, knew a couple of sections where it would be behind us, that said there would be good few miles where we had to run into it as well, mile 5 was a disaster, could not get shelter and group I was in struggled.

First 5miles: 31:20
    Second 5miles: 30:55

Splits:
    6:22 (157), 6:12 (170), 6:08 (171), 6:11 (172), 6:27 (172).
    6:21 (171), 6:14 (169), 6:17 (171), 6:10 (173), 5:53 (175).

Aim was to start out steady, settle into race and pick things up. Found it hard to get into a rhythm to be honest, first mile was congested to start with, 2nd mile we were running into wind for a bit and was unsure whether to sit behind a group or start pushing on, ended up doing a bit of both. Mile 3-4 were steady, saw pace was about 6:10 and it felt fine. Towards end of mile 4 it was getting tough into wind and mile 5 was a long stretch into it with nowhere to hide, those around me were in same position tho, didn't see anyone pass me or me lose ground.

Not a bad split for first 5miles, and was hoping that when we turned around soon, I could make some hay on return section. We turned but it wasn't like I felt a breeze behind me, if anything it was like we ended up running into it again through mile 7. I knew if I got to mile 8 in about 50mins, I'd have a chance of a sub-62. Was over it by about 10seconds or so, so aim was to push on and see if I could pull out a couple of fast miles. happy with how I finished race, up the bit of a drag in mile 9 and got a nice split for last mile.

The stamina is there, the aerobic work last while is def working and I ran a good time today off no real speed sessions at track. I was only 2 seconds outside my PB it turns out for 10miles, set back in 2011, so not a bad day in office. I also know there is more potential out there with the aerobic training as I haven't really done the 10mile aerobic runs justice last couple of weeks.

So lots to think about and feel I put down a good mark for year today.

Good to meet BeepBeep out on course, sorry I didn't see ya after for a quick chat, but it was freezing and wanted to get changed! All best with rest of training for rotterdam.

Great race after so little fast running

Mon 28th: 0miles, wrecked after race yesterday, and visitors from San Jose office in work for week so was in late, decided on rest day!
    Tues 29th: 8.6miles easy, legs very heavy, aerobically it was fine, ran by hr.
    Wed 30th: 6miles with club, nice easy paced run. 18of us out for it.
    Thurs 31st: REST, work caught up with me again!
    Fri 1st: 6miles easy paced.
    Sat 2nd: 8miles with 40min tempo with club. avhr, 171. covered 10k in 40mins so good session, felt a bit tougher than it should have, but legs still sore-ish after race.
    Sun 3rd: 11.5mile club run, flat apart from a 2mile hill, pace easy.

week mileage total: 40.1 miles

Took this as a recovery week, got out when I could, legs ginger enough till about thursday, shows that I worked those last few miles.

Next week hope to get back into swing of things and get 50miles in, not worried about pace, more so staying disciplined to heart-rate. Tues and thurs hope to do 8-10 mile aerobic runs per hadd. sat will join tempo session if its on, first time doing it, its a great session as we all start at same time, head out the one direction for 20mins and then double-back to start. so there's always someone to chase, idea is that everyone finishes at roughly same time, if its even tempo.

Gonna stick with aerobic base building till after Ballycotton. My heart-rate graph from Dungarvan was very steady, from miles 2-10, all within 170-175 band. Even though that is excellent, I don't see my mid-week aerobic runs at lower heart-rates, e.g. 160-165 showing same steadiness, and that is def something to work at.

Plenty of time for the 800's and 1k repeats post ballycotton...

Mon 4th: 5.6miles, easy run after work + some strides.
    Tues 5th: 10.2miles steady, keeping heart-rate between 155-160.
    Wed 6th: 7mile easy paced run with club.
    Thurs 7th: 0miles, rest.
    Fri 8th: 0miles, rest.
    Sat 9th: 9.5miles with 3x2miles off 3mins, tempo session with club-mates. Took it handy pace-wise, felt 6:30-6:40 pace would be perfect and wouldn't push hr too high, dare I say it but more like marathon paced effort, as it felt controlled, and also bearing in mind that would have long run tomorrow. on last mile of last effort did open up lungs a small bit and ran a 6:05 last mile.
    Sun 10th: 14.5mile club run over hills, ran on tired legs after yesterday. Good to get in tho, longest run and time on feet in a while.

week mileage total: 46.8 miles

The run on wed left me with tired legs after, more so than normal, even though avhr was low. woke up following morn, and found it hard to get out of bed. didn't run thurs and fri as felt needed rest. was right to, as only found out looking over my log, that I had ran 45miles over fri->wed without a rest day.

Lesson learned, just because I treat the running week from monday->sunday, you have to bear in mind the previous leading in as well.

Rest days proved good tho as I had a good wknd of training in end, and got couple of good runs in sat and sun.

This week may repeat Hadd test, and compare to first one, else it'll be next week. training is going well, really enjoying it at moment and helps that the atmosphere in club is really good as well at moment, with lots of runs at different paces on offer during week and at weekends.

Its a good lesson to learn in terms of getting out of the Monday to Fri cycle. I know alot of athletes including myself would operate on a 2-3 week Microcycle.

You would be surprised the amount of people who feel they have to miss a Sunday long run because they are racing that day without it even dawning on them that nothing wrong with pushing it back to the Monday if you really need to get it in

Mon 11th: 4.9miles, easy run after work + some strides.
    Tues 12th: 9.3miles steady, keeping heart-rate between 155-160.
    Wed 13th: 6mile easy paced run with club, 8:45 pace
    Thurs 14th: 0miles, rest, weights.
    Fri 15th: 5.6miles, long week and day at work but got some easy miles in.
    Sat 16th: 15.2miles, long run over hills, 7:45pace, avhr:155. Ran this on my own, was a mental challenge if anything, legs not too bad for last few miles all things considering. in work then for 4hrs after, grrr!
    Sun 17th: Stewarded at Club 5 mile race, motivated by some savage performances by lads, I got out for 6.5miles afterwards, few strides after as well. legs not too bad after the 15miler

week mileage total: 47.5 miles

A steady enough week, started out sluggish, but was fine post-rest day. Didn't get the hadd test but will try for this week. Ballycotton is on horizon, no specific training done for it really, but like in Dungarvan, will see how it goes (If I could go sub-62 I'd be delighted as it'd be a pb)!
    The strides I'm trying to get in as much as possible now, especially after the easy runs.

Mon 18th: 4.4miles, easy run after work + some strides.

Tues 19th: REST, badly needed.
    Wed 20th: 6.3mile easy paced run with club, 8:45 pace
    Thurs 21st: 10.4mile aerobic at 7:30 pace, very windy!
    Fri 22nd: REST, wrecked after long day in office.
    Sat 23rd: 9miles with 4mile tempo at 6:12min/mile. Last few weeks I'd have backed off a bit on the pace, but wanted to push this one a tad as ballycotton is round the corner, steady for first three, ran a 6:00mile to finish to open up lungs/legs a bit.
    Sun 24th: 12.0miles over hills, led 8:30 pace run with club, enjoyable run, legs fine from yesterday and some of the best weather we've had in a while!

week mileage total: 42.1 miles

Summary: wanted to get hadd test in this week, but weather on thurs was shocking so ran aerobic run instead. felt strong on it which I was happy with. Two rest days this week, both of which were needed to be honest and feel in better from it. The tempo was a nice run on Sat and needed it, race-pace on Sunday is going to be tough!

Mon 25th: 4.1miles, easy run after work + some strides, avhr:138.
    Tues 26th: 6.5miles, with 8x400's at 90s/lap target. First trip to the track in a while and did some 400's to open-up legs a bit. pace felt fine.
    Wed 27th: 6.0mile easy paced run with club, 8:45 pace
    Thurs 28th: 8.6mile including HADD test #2 (see below)
    Fri 1st: REST
    Sat 2nd: 3miles very easy with strides and stretching.
    Sun 3rd: Ballycotton 10 in 1:02:01, new PB, avhr: 177

week mileage total: 38.1 miles

Hadd Test, Test #2, 28/02/13

1.3mile warm-up (128)
    1.0mile warm-down (130)

With 2400m x 4 at:
    140,150,160,170 (skipped 180 due to race sunday).

time,pace,hr,distance
    13:22, 8:37,142hr, 1.55mile
    90s, 129hr
    12:21, 8:00,151hr, 1.54mile
    90s,134hr
    11:23,7:21,160hr, 1.55mile
    90s, 143hr
    10:12,6:34, 169hr, 1.55mile
    90s, 145hr

Comparing to 1st test, can def see improvement, especially at 140hr/150hr. Sign that training is going well. I reckon its worth sticking with it for another phase and another test. The one thing I want to change for this phase is to increase the effort for the hour runs, so 160-165 and 165-170. Also, I might mix up the 200/200 on/off session Hadd recommends every 2nd wk.

Ballycotton 10 in 1:02:01, 6:12, 177

I knew that a PB could be on cards today, especially after a good run in Dungarvan a few weeks ago. Original plan was to negative split the race like in Dungarvan, but with the way the wind was, I knew I'd have to push a bit faster in 1st 5miles.

mile splits: 6:15, 6:06, 6:07, 6:15, 6:04, 6:07, 6:16, 6:20, 6:20, 6:13.

Out steady for first mile, no real issues here at all, felt controlled, same effort for 2nd mile down the hill, mile 3 I settled for half a mile in a group, before pushing on. Mile 4 I found really hard last year, but it was steady effort today, only issue I had was with fellas trying to get shelter on my left-hand-side as wind was cross-wind from right! Mile 5, pushed on at controlled effort again.
    Through 5miles in 30:4x. mile 6, start was downhill before turning bk into wind, really was working from here on tho, found mile 7 especially hard. two of my club-mates were up ahead of me in a group of 5/6 and I just couldn't get to them, we were running same pace like but difference was I was isolated and had no one to work with into the wind, little bit of a stitch came on me here, from trying to hold pace and hard effort. First half of mile 8 was similar, no-where to hide. One thing I will say is that the support out around course was unreal yesterday and really helped.Felt a bit better going though 8mile mark, and knew that sub-62 was still on, mile 9 I did well to hold to 6:20 and it didn't kill me like last year. A little disappointed with mile 10, in that I couldn't finish with a kick to make it under 62:00.

I ran well today, an awful lot of it on my own, and i'm delighted with a PB, first one i've got in 2years I think, even if its only 14seconds! Much tougher effort than Dungarvan I thought. The heart-rate data is interesting also, mostly from mile 2 to mile10 in a flat band of 175-180. steady, and the highest i've seen it in a while.

Nice to meet Gringo78 down there too to catch-up, all we were missing was Sosa!

Massive nite out last nite, lots of guinness, and put down a ropey day in office today, had to be done though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done tisnotover, great racing, the hadd training is paying off.

• Advertisement

Mon 4th: REST. not sure how I got thru the day at work, serious hangover!
    Tues 5th: REST.
    Wed 6th: 6.0mile easy paced run with club, 8:45 pace
    Thurs 7th: 6.9miles easy.
    Fri 8th: REST.
    Sat 9th: 11.5miles with hills, 7:55min/mile, avhr:154
    Sun 10th: 12.5miles in crap weather but nice pacr, 7:45, avhr:152

week mileage total: 36.9 miles

Def a recovery week, especially after a mad nite out sun nite! got in some nice runs at wknd though which i'm happy with, and happy with the heart-rate/pace combination for them as well.
    Trying to shift a head-cold as well at moment, one of those ones that takes a while to shift.

Going pacing a few club-mates for 68mins in mallow-10 next week, so looking forward to that.
    Continuing with aerobic training this week, but might try the 200/200 session thurs.

Advertisement