Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    multimeter reads 2.99V, battery is sound, but reasoned now why heart rate was low on sat, the freezing fog must have had an affect? Either that, or our mulitmeter here needs calibration ;)

Could be the cold, I haven't tried my own HR monitor in the last week but when it went on the blip it was freezing conditions??? Might dust it off tomorrow and see is it working again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Could be the cold, I haven't tried my own HR monitor in the last week but when it went on the blip it was freezing conditions??? Might dust it off tomorrow and see is it working again.

My footpod for the garmin 50 lost connection saturday morning,i was surprised,never given me an ounce of bother,must have been the freezing fog,i had a pain in my head after a while,forgot the hat,had to put my hand up over my forehead at times to get a a bit of heat in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Sosa wrote: »
    My footpod for the garmin 50 lost connection saturday morning,i was surprised,never given me an ounce of bother,must have been the freezing fog,i had a pain in my head after a while,forgot the hat,had to put my hand up over my forehead at times to get a a bit of heat in there.

forgot my gloves once going for a run like that (in freezing fog), lasted 1mile, never saw my hands go through so many shades of blue, very painful, haven't forgot them since I can tell ya!?!

forgot my gloves once going for a run like that (in freezing fog), lasted 1mile, never saw my hands go through so many shades of blue, very painful, haven't forgot them since I can tell ya!?!

That freezing fog is very deceptive,i was out in the garden before i went and thought i didnt need a hat,i was wrong.

4.4miles at 7:52min/mile after work, avhr: 152. have a nice loop that I can make between 4->6 miles easy enough and rolls a bit which is good.

Could have gone on a bit longer, but saving the legs for track tomorrow nite, thats the only hard session I want to do this week.

Good few runners out/about, even though tis cold enough out there.

• Advertisement

The local Centra has carrot cake reduced down to 2.50, f-ing hell lads its good stuff !?!

Brilliant track session tonite. no wind, no rain, dry track. a bit cold, but grand once warmed up. Aim was 5*mile repeats at 6:20min/mile with 2min recoveries.

Ran 3mile warm-up with John (trying to get him to join the club), then met up with rest of group, about 7/8 of us running this pace tonite, which def helped as a different two would lead the mile interval each time+set pace.

5*1miles in [6:17,6:20,6:18,6:19,6:15], av int: 6:18min/mile
    interval hr : [167,173,174,173,172], avhr int: 172
    1.5mile warm-down

total miles 9.5

Felt really good throughout the session, no pains or anything, could have done a 6th repeat I reckoned, but 5 was enough, Dungaravan is on the horizon. Needed this boost, as with the head-cold last week, I only managed 3.

Group at club are gonna target 6:20 pace for Dungarvan, so gonna try and tag onto them for as long as I can.

Easy running till then...

5miles at 7:56min/mile after work. avhr:153

This was def a recovery run tonite, legs felt the hills that bit more after last nite's session.

Rest day tomorrow and maybe a few easy miles on friday.Else they'll wait till sat. roll on dungarvan...

3.5miles at 8:05min/mile, avhr:148.

not much to report on this run, just something to keep the legs turning over.got some bad news at work, a few redundancies being made, our group escaped mostly though. needed the run to take my mind off it a bit.

Countdown begins to Dungarvan and mind-games over what pace etc to aim for, f-it, its my first race of the year, and main thing is to enjoy it!

Official Results up have me at 63:27, av-pace 6:21min/mile, 97th place overall.Delighted with that as main goal was to get under 64mins.

Ran race with a couple of lads from club, playing cat+mouse at times.
    Great to meet showry and gring78 after race.
    7 weeks now to Ballycotton, and feel I can knock some more time off.

Will update later with mile splits...

• Advertisement

Mile splits below, don't have heart rate splits as made a school boy error and never checked that the strap was tight enough (ended up running with it in my hand!)

Mile Time
    1 6:26
    2 6:08
    3 6:15
    4 6:17
    5 6:28
    6 6:20
    7 6:16
    8 6:25
    9 6:37
    10 6:10

total: 1:03:27 (1st half: 31:37, 2nd half: 31:50), happy out with time (ran 69mins in Dungarvan last year!)

First few miles was basically trying to find myself and a nice pace, prob paid too muhc attention into trying to run with club-mates rather than doing splits I wanted, 2nd mile split of 6:08 was way too fast! Steadied out after a while, but towards end of 5th mile got a stitch and had to put on breaks a bit, that stitch ended up staying with me till end of race. Think it was def caused by running too fast from start, next time stay to the target pace(6:20 today).
    2nd half of race was trying to balance keeping good pace and not pushing the pace too fast with the pain in my side, some of the downhills I recovered on, rather than flying down them.
    Happy out with the last mile I put in, it averaged out the split for the climb in the 9th mile, and I also passed four lads I know in it.

Calves are a bit sore now and know why, def pushed myself today. Recovery week now coming up.

Total mileage this week: 34.9miles
    Total mileage for Jan: 156.5miles
    # days running: 22

A good month...

Mile splits below, don't have heart rate splits as made a school boy error and never checked that the strap was tight enough (ended up running with it in my hand!)

Mile Time
    1 6:26
    2 6:08
    3 6:15
    4 6:17
    5 6:28
    6 6:20
    7 6:16
    8 6:25
    9 6:37
    10 6:10

total: 1:03:27 (1st half: 31:37, 2nd half: 31:50), happy out with time (ran 69mins in Dungarvan last year!)

First few miles was basically trying to find myself and a nice pace, prob paid too muhc attention into trying to run with club-mates rather than doing splits I wanted, 2nd mile split of 6:08 was way too fast! Steadied out after a while, but towards end of 5th mile got a stitch and had to put on breaks a bit, that stitch ended up staying with me till end of race. Think it was def caused by running too fast from start, next time stay to the target pace(6:20 today).
    2nd half of race was trying to balance keeping good pace and not pushing the pace too fast with the pain in my side, some of the downhills I recovered on, rather than flying down them.
    Happy out with the last mile I put in, it averaged out the split for the climb in the 9th mile, and I also passed four lads I know in it.

Calves are a bit sore now and know why, def pushed myself today. Recovery week now coming up.

Total mileage this week: 34.9miles
    Total mileage for Jan: 156.5miles
    # days running: 22

A good month...

well done tissy...enjoy the rest next week,i'm resting at the minute with the laptop in front of me and a nice cold can of becks at my right hand...bliss

well done tissy...enjoy the rest next week,i'm resting at the minute with the laptop in front of me and a nice cold can of becks at my right hand...bliss

Mine's a Guinness ;)

Great run today...big improvement in 12 months....another year of PB's coming up for you with that marker laid down in january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Well done. Good steady run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Mine's a Guinness ;)

Mines a red wine. I does be posh me ;)

Great month indeed and finished off with a great run, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done tishnotover. Great performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Nice run. Pity about the stitch!

Nice run. Pity about the stitch!

was not pleasant I can tell ya! think its def down to the pace I was running at. have not been running at faster than 6:20min/mile pace in training lately (will be with next stage of intervals at track) and guess body wasn't ready for some of the early splits I did.

two things, need to work a bit on core (should do this on rest days), and secondly, if it happens again, adjust the breathing, to relieve the stitch (tx gringo ;)), found some articles about this thru google...

any races coming up another world??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭aero2k

i'm resting at the minute with the laptop in front of me and a nice cold can of becks at my right hand...bliss
    Mine's a Guinness ;)
    Mines a red wine. I does be posh me ;)

Does anything taste better than a post-race drink? For the record, mine was a can of draught Guinness followed by a bottle of Stella.:)
    Great running tno. I was plagued by stitches in my first few races, I'm glad you discovered it's still possible to run when you've got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

was not pleasant I can tell ya! think its def down to the pace I was running at. have not been running at faster than 6:20min/mile pace in training lately (will be with next stage of intervals at track) and guess body wasn't ready for some of the early splits I did.

two things, need to work a bit on core (should do this on rest days), and secondly, if it happens again, adjust the breathing, to relieve the stitch (tx gringo ;)), found some articles about this thru google...

any races coming up another world??

I´ll be back in Ireland next week so I´m on the look out for a 10k sometime in February. I´m not expecting anything great although, my training is really all over the place at the moment. I´m hoping for PBs in the summer...

Back on the horse tonite. very easy 3mile warm-up at track, serving as a recovery run as well (rested yesterday).

session was 5*mile repeats targetting about 6:40min/mile pace. Was a bit unsure about this at first as not fully right from Dungarvan, but the same Eagle heads who were running same pace as me on Sunday were on for it, so f-it, why not.

averaged 6:45min (in lane 3) for the 5 intervals, average hr:171, 2min recoveries between repeats. a 1.5mile warm-down gave 9.5miles total for session.
    to be honest, it was actually comfortable enough, breathing was well under control, its the ham-strings were tight thats all.

next week, we step it back it up to 6:00min/mile pace, prob starting at 3 repeats, the 6:20min/mile pace is comfortable now and is more akin to tempo intervals on the track.

6.00 miles after work at farm (ran till display displayed 6:00 exactly, how sad is that!). av-pace 7:54min/mile, avhr:152. legs still in recovery, def a rest day tomorrow, will do tempo on friday...

Got a pair of DS trainers (start fitness) in post yesterday, so was eager to try them out for a tempo run today, came with a pair of socks too (always handy!!)

Aim was to do 2 * 2miles at tempo pace(10mile -> 1/2), which is between 6:20 and 6:25 min/mile pace based on my race last week, with 2min recovery inbetween.

Bit windy+wet for this one, trainers felt good though and will use them for track+tempo runs from now on.

2mile splits were 12:46 and 12:52, giving av-pace of 6:25min/mile
    HR splits were 167 and 173, giving 170 average.

8.6miles total for session (2mile warm-up, 2.6mile warm-down to car).

Mile repeats at either tempo pace or faster are def doable, but def notice the effect of a longer tempo interval today. I know I prob had some of last Sun's race in my legs still, but its the final third of each 2mile that was hard, and more so for the second one!
    Still, I need to focus on these as its what i'm weakest at...

13.4miles at 8:03min/mile, avhr: 149.

legs tired going into this run this morning, not surprised, yesterday's session took a bit out of me. ran with lad from work again, which is fine except we've a tendancy of picking up pace very early, so main goal was to hold back and pick it up at end.
    Also tried out a high5 gel today, to see what they're like, took it after 6.5miles, went down ok, but could have done with a bit of water. think it gave me a bit of a boost alrite, hill by Rafeen felt fine.
    Heart rate was well behaved for this run and 149 average is one of my lowest recorded I'd say for this long a run, the 35mile average weeks are def improving the aerobic bit in me.

37.5miles so far this week, 4 days running, mite do 2.5miles recovery tomorrow, just to round it upto 40.0! (this 1000mile challenge and all!)

Got a pair of DS trainers (start fitness) in post yesterday, so was eager to try them out for a tempo run today, came with a pair of socks too (always handy!!)

Got the DS trainers last year for racing in and have since moved to doing all my training in them, find them excellent although only get about max 400 miles out of them. I use the DS racers now for racing in which i also find great. well wear!

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Got the DS trainers last year for racing in and have since moved to doing all my training in them, find them excellent although only get about max 400 miles out of them. I use the DS racers now for racing in which i also find great. well wear!

can't beat asics in fairness. I won't wair them all time though, spread the load with other training shoes I have.

Would you consider doing marathon in them?

Didn't get out for that sneaky run yesterday, just relaxed (the guinness sat nite helped that decision too!)

5.0miles at 8:05min/mile at farm after work, avhr:147. Felt good for this and main aim was to run it relaxed, save myself for track tomorrow nite instead.

Aim for next few weeks is to keep mileage in 35-40miles range.

can't beat asics in fairness. I won't wair them all time though, spread the load with other training shoes I have.

Would you consider doing marathon in them?

Did marathon in them last year. I will actually most likely run the marathon in the DS racers this year, so i would say DS trainers are definetly suitable for marathon.

• Advertisement

Aim was 3*6:00min/miles in Lane 1 with 2min recoveries, had my head right though heading into this, it was going to be tough, but its one of only two real sessions in week (tempo the other!)

Couple of new faces in group tonite and after the warm-up, about 6 of us set off. first interval in 6:02, fine like, splits even enough, but 3rd one was ran a bit quicker to make up time.

Then the two new lads decided to take pace out for 2nd one and basically burnt us, 1:25 for the first 400m (5:40 pace!), backed off a tad with one of lads+left them at it, came in at 5:52 still though myself.

That 2min recovery flew by, and we were into the third repeat,same thing happened, a 1:25 for 1st 400m, I backed off and came in at 5:54.
    I was spent after this, but managed a 4th mile repeat with the 6:20 pace group, ran that mile in 6:14.

So for the 4mile repeats managed to average 6:02, but not in a good way, the 2nd and 3rd splits were far too hot.

7.5miles total for session. Next week will do the 4*mile repeats but will stick to the target pace of 6:00, its better to do more repeats at a tad slower pace than less repeats at a faster pace. I'm not training for 5k's like!!

Advertisement