Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

recovery run tonite at farm, very cool again out, won't be getting rid of leggings for a while yet it seems!

Right calf a bit sore all day from track last nite.Took it handy enough, but each time I relaxed, I seemed to be able to keep good pace anyhow so kept at it.

5.5miles at 7:57min/mile, avhr: 148.

18.0miles for week so far, like this part of the week as in my head I see only two more runs, and tomorrow is also a rest day, that calf needs it.
    If things are still dodge Friday, mite opt for a marathon paced run as opposed to tempo.

Rested yesterday and calf needed it. Got a good bit of motivation though out of post I put up yest about PMP runs so that was the target today to get a feel of things.
    The other bit of motivation was that I got a 405 in the post yesterday so wanted to test that out too!!

Set out do 4-5miles at 6:55->7:00 PMP pace.

Summary:
    8.7miles total
    1.5mile warm-up
    5.0miles at 6:58min/mile (avhr: 170)
    2.2mile warm-down

During warm-up, could feel calf but did some stretches and it loosened out, so was good to go. Took a while to settle into the right PMP pace. Started out slow and picked it up. Once I got to 3miles, was feeling grand, so was no prob doing 5 at that pace in end.

My thinking is to alternate a PMP run with tempo intervals (e.g. 2*2mile) for next few weeks, we'll see how it goes. It'll depend on how the body is feeling though, today there was no way I could have done the tempo work.

16.03 miles in 2:06:18, av-pace 7:52min/mile, avhr: 158.

This was a run with club this morning, setting off from farm and taking in hills around Balinora for first 12 miles, first time running this, so didn't know where the hills would pop up next!
    Back to the car then for a quick drink and did few laps of farm to bring up mileage to 16.
    Pace starting out steady enough and were averaging about 8:15min/mile for first half, before Pat and myself stepped up pace a bit, with a few 7:30's thrown in towards end.

Overall a decent run, especially with hills on quiet country roads for first bit. This was my first time doing 16miles in training (did 15 last year).
    Legs were in good shape too, with being able to do the 7:30 pace towards end. Pat went on to do 20 and I'd thoughts of going with him, felt I could of like, but there's plenty of time for those long runs yet, hopefully i'll have same legs next time.

As recommeneded on here (Sosa??) and at club, I took some HI-5 drink after the 1st 12miles and think it works well, very easy to drink like.

Relaxing now for day watching rugby, 42.7miles for week and its been a solid one.

P.S. link for run below, hopefully it can be viewed...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24561987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

tisnotover wrote: »

Relaxing now for day watching rugby, 42.7miles for week and its been a solid one.

I'm with ya there buddy. Nice to be hitting the big numbers. Oh and thanks for starting that thread about PMP....great stuff.

I'm with ya there buddy. Nice to be hitting the big numbers. Oh and thanks for starting that thread about PMP....great stuff.

tx lad. great running yourself today by the way, especially getting those fast 7 in at end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

As recommeneded on here (Sosa??) and at club, I took some HI-5 drink after the 1st 12miles and think it works well, very easy to drink like.

I drank that ( 4:1 high 5 ) on all long runs for Dublin and found it great,but i didnt have it on the day and wanted it,
    so for Cork im not drinking it on long runs.

I have only drank it twice since Dublin.
    The half down here ( i drove the route beforehand and left 2 small bottles enroute) and the dungarvan 10m...i gave showry a small botle and drank it at the 4m marker...
    I would love to have someone at 3/4 spots in cork for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sosa wrote: »
    I would love to have someone at 3/4 spots in cork for me.
    For the last two years I have had someone hand me a drink belt at halfway in Dublin. I've now figured out that if I dilute a gel in each of the 4 bottles in my belt, and take a gel before the start, that's plenty as it's easy to get lots of water along the way.
    High-5 is nice to drink and I use it occasionally - I find water a bit boring and have to force myself to drink it.

I'm Oh and thanks for starting that thread about PMP....great stuff.
    +1

@ Sosa and @ aero2k

I found it way easier to drink than water, ok, it was the first time I used it, but it def was good like. will practice with gels as well for long runs to suss them out.

Be good to have a few bottles stashed somewhere as u say, ah, tis early days yet, great getting the advice though from those who have ran the marathons before.

cheers lads. :D

Pain in my right calf is gone, which is good, but legs felt a bit light tonite, still have some of sat's run hanging about I suppose, so with one eye on a 6min/mile track session tomorrow, I did a recovery paced run, keeping an eye on the HR rather than pace.

Summary:
    5.0miles at 8:23min/mile, avhr: 150.

Have one eye on Kilmacthomas 5 at end of week, will decide after track session tomorrow.

• Advertisement

9miles total:
    2.5mile warm-up
    4*1mile targetting 93s/lap in Lane 3
    2.5mile warm-down

mile splits: 6:12, 6:09,6:10,6:11
    hr: 165,172,173,173

av-split: 6:11 ~ 6:00min/mile
    av-hr: 171

Decent enough session tonite, hate running in lane 3, especially when you've to run wide to overtake other pace groups.

Splits were bang-on really though, mite have done 1 more, but only did 3 hard last week really.

Given the nod for Kilmacthomas, so will shape the rest of the week towards it to give it a good race.
    The 16mile run was like a hang-over, those hr splits are quiet good(for me), it felt harder than that in my legs!
    Be good to have this week as a step-back week anyway, can pick mileage up next week.

Off for a cup of tea and some biscuits, lent tomorrow, yikes!!

6.35miles at 8:07min/mile, avhr: 152.

Started out slowly tonite, legs tired from track yesterday, picked up pace for final 3miles or so, as was starting to feel bit better.

Will take a rest day tomorrow i'd say. Maybe a few easy runs then till Sunday.

... just registered there for Cork City Marathon. Hoping it will help focus my training a bit, yikes!

have taken Hal Higdons Intermediate II plan as a base, but already ahead of it in terms of mileage, which is a good thing I reckon.

main parts:
    Tuesday's - club track session, mile repeats.
    Friday - Either a) Tempo Intervals (2*2mile -> 4*2mile ) progession
    b) PMP run (started with 5 and will build up to 10/12)
    Sat - Long Run.

Rest of week is easy mileage or recovery. Thinking 5days/week is enough at moment, main thing will be to build up long runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

... just registered there for Cork City Marathon. Hoping it will help focus my training a bit, yikes!

Excellent...best of luck with the training now.

Nice one Tisnotover. Your all in now, brilliant. Best of luck with it.

4.5miles out at farm averaged 7:52min/mile, avhr:153.

Threw in 6*80m at 5k pace to give legs a bit of turnover at end b4 Sunday.
    Will prob rest tomorrow (if I get out it'll be only 2/3miles v.easy).

My 5mile pb is 30:45 from Ballycottton last year, all going well I'd hope to take a chunk off that, just gonna try and do as many 6:00miles as I can!

My 5mile pb is 30:45 from Ballycottton last year, all going well I'd hope to take a chunk off that, just gonna try and do as many 6:00miles as I can!

Best of luck on Sunday...you've a good shot at sub 30, all those 6:00 mile intervals will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

best of luck Sunday sham, might see you there

Drove down with friend of mine this morn, at one stage wondering if it would go ahead with all fog around Dungarvan, but Kilmacthomas must have its own micro-climate as it was grand there!

Registered, 1.5mile warm-up, then found start-line, which was back up a hill at top of village.

Mile splits and hr below:
    Mile 1 5:45 (166)
    Mile 2 6:06 (176)
    Mile 3 5:53 (178)
    Mile 4 5:50 (177)
    Mile 5 5:59 (178)

Time: 29:39, avhr:175, av-pace: 5:56min/mile

Bit annoying as I thought I'd started 405, but only realised ~20s later, that it wasn't running, anyway, there was a chap calling out splits at mile mark (5:45), so said to myself, right 15s under (reference 6:00 pace).

Should say that first mile was very fast for 3/4 of it, before starting climb into 2nd mile, steadied the ship and got pulled up the climb by a few West Waterford lads, till it levelled out.

Third mile was along hard shoulder I think flat/downhill, ended up losing guy on my shoulder and in no mans land though. A 5:53 split showed that sub 30:00 was def on now, and in my head I said only 12mins to go (may sound a lot, but I was tricking my head into thinking it wasn't!).

4th mile was steady enough, a few lads caught me from behind, but was def glad of the company and kep with two of them, one lad went on further again. First half of fifth mile was hilly enough, before it levelled out, was struggling at this stage, but lad I caught said "all down-hill from here", I took him at his word and bombed it into the finish, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the clock at end.

There's two pb's in this race, the 5mile time, but also went though 4mile time in ~ 23:35, happy days! There is a lot of downhill in the course to be fair and pb was def there to be taken.

1.2mile warm-down.

7.7miles total, 33miles for week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done tisnotover.
    I told you it was worth while heading down for it.

Now you have to go and beat that time :D
    Its a vicious circle !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great running TNO and very steady, I'd say you have a sniff of even quicker late summer after your Marathon exploits.

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done tisnotover.
    I told you it was worth while heading down for it.

Now you have to go and beat that time :D
    Its a vicious circle !

def worth the trip, only an hour from home like, lad came with me did well too.sure what else would ya do on a sun morning!

If I could see that time on the clock in any other 5mile race I'd be happy, especially the Ballycotton series ;)
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great running TNO and very steady, I'd say you have a sniff of even quicker late summer after your Marathon exploits.

Cheers lad, think the track-work is paying off, splits were steady out.

Well done tno, if you keep up the hard work the marathon will be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

[QUOTE=

Time: 29:39, avhr:175, av-pace: 5:56min/mile

There is a lot of downhill in the course to be fair and pb was def there to be taken.
    [/QUOTE]

You still have to run the 5 miles. Well done. Enjoy it> I ran 3 seconds faster last year and had a great year after it. So onwards and upwards. Why not go and get a 10km pb nxt week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great stuff TNO, well done

You still have to run the 5 miles. Well done. Enjoy it> I ran 3 seconds faster last year and had a great year after it. So onwards and upwards. Why not go and get a 10km pb nxt week.

Cheers lad. I'll hold off on the 10k till April (UCC 10k).
    Club(eagle) are having a 5miler next week in Carrigaline, so will give a hand with that.

Focus now is Ballycotton and also getting long runs in for Cork. A few good weeks training and I can take a step-back week again (like this week) to give Ballycotton a good race.

great running...I'll have to watch my back in the summer series....Good to have the sub 30 monkey off your back so early on in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

well done tno - savage time there..

Gringo78 wrote: »
    great running...I'll have to watch my back in the summer series....Good to have the sub 30 monkey off your back so early on in 2010

ure safe enough yet i'd say lad ;), christ they won't be long coming either, this month is flying by!

• Advertisement

Hey top class, well done tno!

Advertisement