Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

5.0miles at 8:19min/mile, avhr:152.

Recovery run this evening, legs weren't too bad I thought to begin with, but from 3rd mile could feel it a bit, def was racing yesterday ;)

Will aim for 40miles this week, with a 15/16mile long run at wknd.

Great to see the new Cork route up....team I did the relay with the last few years are running again this year, was joking with em there that each guy/leg could act as a pacemaker for me, whatever that pace may be!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Where did you see that ?
    I just looked at the website and its still not on that.

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/marathon/course/

Sosa wrote: »
    Where did you see that ?
    I just looked at the website and its still not on that.

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/marathon/course/

They seem to be diverging from main website for some reason, looks a lot flatter to be fair Sosa.
    http://www.readysteadycork.com/new-route-for-2010

Some more info on this thread too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055815477

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play with the sub30, TNO. I'd love to crack that someday. Brings with it its own challenges vs the sub 40 10k and the sub 20 5k. Good work!

Would love to be joining ye for the Cork Marathon - had a great time there last year, and doing the relay the year before. The heat... thats just something to be savoured!

Killerz wrote: »
    Fair play with the sub30, TNO. I'd love to crack that someday. Brings with it its own challenges vs the sub 40 10k and the sub 20 5k. Good work!

Would love to be joining ye for the Cork Marathon - had a great time there last year, and doing the relay the year before. The heat... thats just something to be savoured!

The sub-30 was one of my goals for the year, now that I've done it, its amazing how the mind goes trying to come up with a new race target..........:rolleyes:

That race you've got coming up in March looks pretty cool,keep up the training ;)

• Advertisement

2.5m warm-up
    3*mile repeats targetting 6:32min/mile in lane 3 (98s/lap)
    1.25mile warm-down

7.75miles total.

mile splits and hr:
    6:34 (165), 6:32 (175), 6:31 (175)
    av-split 6:32 ~ 6:20 pace.
    av-hr: 172.

legs felt ok for first couple of repeats, but third one was hard going and knew it was time to stop! Few gang were running the cross-country on Sunday and did same. Back to 6min pace next week;)

Recovery run tomorrow, rest thursday and prob a tempo session Friday.

...on what turned out to be very wet conditions underfoot tonite, could have done with a pair of spikes, was good in a way though as it helped keep my pace down, as this was a recovery run from last nite.

5.0miles at 8:09min/mile, avhr:150.

Got out for a tempo run this afternoon. Plan was to do 4miles straight (been doing 2x2mile last couple of times).

Was unsure of pace target as was out at farm (pitches) and ground was tough going. There was a fair wind blowing as well to deal with.

Ended up averaging 6:37min/mile for the 4miles, avhr: 175. The heart rate is my equvialent avhr for the 5mile race I ran in Kilmacthomas last weekend, so I was def working ;)

Summary:
    7.2miles total in 50:58, av-pace 7:03min/mile, avhr:170.

13.6miles at 7:59min/mile, avhr:156.

Ran this on my own this morn+found it tough going, loop was from B+Q car-park to Monkstown over Rafeen hill and back.
    Out of sorts last couple of days and its affecting my running, found it very hard to relax on the run, and the avhr reflects this.

38.55miles for week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    13.6miles at 7:59min/mile, avhr:156.

Ran this on my own this morn+found it tough going, loop was from B+Q car-park to Monkstown over Rafeen hill and back.
    Out of sorts last couple of days and its affecting my running, found it very hard to relax on the run, and the avhr reflects this.

38.55miles for week.

Tough run to do on your own after that tempo yesterday. good going. You've a great base built up for the marathon training

• Advertisement

Jan: 156.5
    Feb: 151.85

Total: 308.35miles

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Tough run to do on your own after that tempo yesterday. good going. You've a great base built up for the marathon training

tx lad, you'd a nice long run yourself yesterday, very tempted to get out for a sneaky few miles, lovely out like, but body needs rest ;)

very tempted to get out for a sneaky few miles, lovely out like, but body needs rest ;)

You should head out....3 or 4 miles very easy miles can only do you good!! As good if not better than rest if you take them nice and easy

You should head out....3 or 4 miles very easy miles can only do you good!! As good if not better than rest if you take them nice and easy

3.0miles very easy at 8:33min/mile, avhr:147.

Yep, I do feel better, else some of tiredness in legs would carry to tomorrow's run...

Was well impressed watching Sean McGrath win the Eagle 5 today, christ that guys move fast!

41.55miles this week.311.35 for year

5.0miles at 8:09min/mile, avhr:147.

lovely evening for a run, right calf a bit sore after, will keep an eye on it, track tomorrow, back to 6min pace I'm guessing...yikes....

2.5m warm-up
    4*mile repeats targetting 6:12min/mile in lane 3 (93s/lap) with 2min recoveries
    1.5mile warm-down

8.0miles total.

Mile splits and hr:
    6:19 (164)
    6:10 (174)
    6:16 (175)
    6:14 (174)

av-split 6:15 (~ 6:03 pace referring back to Lane 1)
    av-hr: 172.

was a bit uneasy going into this, as calf was dodge yesterday. warm-up and stretches and felt good so off we went. Was only 3 of us at this pace tonite, and only two for last 2 repeats. Last time we did 4 at this pace, there was a much bigger group+it def makes a difference.

First split was a good bit off now and not sure why, ok, bad timing for first 800m by our pacer (me!). 2nd repeat naturally went the other way and ducked just under the 6:12 target. Third repeat I felt ok, but last 800m of it I was def working. 4th repeat was hard going and could feel it in legs after 400m, def was quitting after 4 tonite, maybe 5 next week instead.

Had thought of doing a 4mile race on Sunday but I'd be scuppered for track then next Tues. Ballycotton is only around the corner, so will just think of that now.

... around Bishopstown tonite. was half thinking of leaving this till tomorrow+taking a rest today instead, as was in ****e form after a tough day at work. got the gear on though+ set off + feel in better for it now as can relax tomorrow.

Legs are tight enough from track yesterday. I'd say I'll be skipping tempo this week, the high mileage wks are catching up on me, mite do a PMP run instead.

5.04miles at 8:08min/mile, avhr:146.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Our schedules have been uncanningly similar of late - great run in the 5mile, what time are you aiming for in Cork?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Our schedules have been uncanningly similar of late - great run in the 5mile, what time are you aiming for in Cork?

I know, I saw that last nite after updating my own log, turned to your log+you had done the same mile repeat session, only faster splits ;)

Not sure about time for Cork yet, first marathon like. Will have a better idea after Ballycotton in two weeks ;)

Oh+would ya believe our own club are having a 3k track race tomorrow (ye've a 5k!), I won't make mine tho...

8.0miles with 6miles at PMP pace, 1mile warm-up, 1mile warm-down.

Wanted to try something different this evening, and rather trying to push a particular pace, to keep the HR in check instead (160-165 range). Was running on grass, so knew it was going to be a bit mucky like and last week's 4mile tempo took too much effort trying to push pace. Gringo78 is doing his PMP runs in the same way, and after tonite, I will do same for the harder tempo-runs as well.

Setup garmin to show just lap-hr and av-hr.

Mile splits: [6:47,6:54,6:59,6:57, 6:56, 7:06]
    HR splits: [162,164,164,165, 166, 165]

Giving avPMPpace = 6:57min/mile, avPMPhr=164.

This compares to the last time I did a PMP run averaging 6:58min/mile with an avhr=170, and this time it felt much more comfortable.
    Splits are constant enough, but made a school-boy error and should have had the garmin showing lap-pace as well, as even tho the HR split was low, the pace was too fast, can see it had an impact on the sixth mile split!!

so the two things I reckon to keep an eye on would be the PMP hr range (160-165) and the target pace (6:55-7:00), keeping both in check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Nice work, big one tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Nice work, big one tomorrow?

Tx.

Club are meeting up at 8 in morning, for about 11miles, will stick on a few more to that, maybe 15total.
    Will wait till after Ballycotton before stepping up to the longer ones....yikes!

Met up with club in mahon, for usual Monkstown Rafeen hill loop. Legs were still feeling yesterday's session starting out, but were fine after 4/5miles in.

John,myself took off up the hill at a good pace (its really the only hard part of run, rest is flat), so got a good workout in, and heart rate went into zone 4.

Extended run by ~4.5miles at end, by going down by estuary by Blackrock Castle giving 15.45miles total at av-pace 8:11min/mile. avhr: 149.
    Didn't take any gel/water today, though had a gel in my pocket...

So, 41.49miles this week, and two weeks to Ballycotton, will prob only do 12/13 for long run next week.

will prob only do 12/13 for long run next week.

Ah you've come a long way in the last year.....13 mile runs are just easy jogs in the park for you now :D

Ah you've come a long way in the last year.....13 mile runs are just easy jogs in the park for you now :D

Not when i'm running on my own they're not, last week the long run was real tough but today with a group it was easy going

they'll certainly feel easier, when I start doing the real long runs in 16-20 range! :eek:

nice running yourself today by the way, ure in good shape lad.

2.87miles recovery run at farm, 8:23min/mile, avhr:143.
    need to watch my right calf, its sore-ish, think combination of intervals and pmp last week takes its toll.

44.36 for week. 355.7 for year

Usual 5mile easy run was on cards tonite, but right calf was stiff from off. Was hoping that it would come good after a mile or so, but no, still there.

Did one lap of farm and straight back to the car, track is def off for me tomorrow.

Will see how it goes tomorrow, rest is prob called for, mite have to watch myself a bit more re:stretching, last couple of weeks have been high enough mileage (for me) and seem to have caught up with me now.

Hope it clears up, Ballycotton is around the corner...

2.20miles at 8:16min/mile, avhr:148.

Usual 5mile easy run was on cards tonite, but right calf was stiff from off. Was hoping that it would come good after a mile or so, but no, still there.

Did one lap of farm and straight back to the car, track is def off for me tomorrow.

Will see how it goes tomorrow, rest is prob called for, mite have to watch myself a bit more re:stretching, last couple of weeks have been high enough mileage (for me) and seem to have caught up with me now.

Hope it clears up, Ballycotton is around the corner...

2.20miles at 8:16min/mile, avhr:148.

How many miles do you have up on the clock ijn the present set of runners? I only get about max 400 miles now out of my DS Trainers and I start to feel the calf going.....I didn't realise it before but I was wearing over 2-3mm off the outside of the heals both runners which was leading to calf problems. Check the wear on your runners.

How many miles do you have up on the clock ijn the present set of runners? I only get about max 400 miles now out of my DS Trainers and I start to feel the calf going.....I didn't realise it before but I was wearing over 2-3mm off the outside of the heals both runners which was leading to calf problems. Check the wear on your runners.

The two shoes I'm alternating between at moment are cumulus and the ds-trainer. I think it could be the trainer thats causing me the problem though, even though i've done < 50miles in them. Before that I was alternating cumulus with 2130, I reckon the cumulus are coming upto 400miles, but there still good, not much wear on them.

Will drop the use of trainer for a while and see how that goes, I do notice that the calf is sore-ish after using them, but was putting it down to stress of session, e.g. tempo.

5.5miles yesterday, taking it easy at 8:27min/mile, avhr:149 (hr reading a bit off, first mile was over 160, hadn't started sweating!).

Did a lot of stretches yesterday and using oruvail gel on the calf, which seems to be helping. A much more comfortable run than Mon evening.

Will rest today now though+ see how I am thurs evening again.

One of the lads at club ran 3:10 in Barcelona, even though his calf was f-ed after 10k, would def have gone sub-3 otherwise I reckon.

• Advertisement

Was in all sorts of mind as to what run (easy/mile repeats/tempo) to do this evening. Calf is def on mend + resting/stretching has helped.

Lovely evening out at farm for a run, but took the right option I reckon and just went for a steady aerobic run instead. Normally I'd be doing a recovery type pace, but upped it to 7:30's for about 3/4 miles to make it a bit more interesting.

7.45miles at 7:43min/mile, avhr:156.

6*80m strides at end at 5k pace, and a good stretching of legs afterwards.

Will def have to try and look after the body a bit more I think, else, I won't see the start line in June at all!

Advertisement