Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

5.12 miles before work at 8:08min/mile, avhr:152.
    got this in early today as am going to a talk on long distance running in CIT later.

no probs with calf, i'm a happy camper!

12/13 with club tomorrow over hills.maybe 3 recovery on sun, that'll be about 35 then for this week. that'd mean i've averaged 39miles/wk for the last 6 wks, happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Great to hear you're back on track. See you in Ballycotton.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Great to hear you're back on track. See you in Ballycotton.

yep, not long to go now, looking forward to it!

did you goto that opening last nite in end, any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

looking forward to all of the Ballycotten race reports. Best of luck in it. If all goes to plan you'll have a great run.

looking forward to all of the Ballycotten race reports. Best of luck in it. If all goes to plan you'll have a great run.

tx misty, if conditions are right it could be a good race, especially with the numbers in it (a lot of people going for similar times).

best of luck yourself with the race on sunday, remember to hold back a tad for the first mile...

• Advertisement

perfect conditions for a run this morn, overcast+little cold.

met with club at 8am, for hilly loop from farm to Balinora, with option of doing as many laps as ya want of farm after!

Pace started out very easy, 9min for 1st mile, and looking over splits now can see that we ended up doing a nice progression run. Last 3/4 miles were all sub 7:15, with last mile at 6:50 pace.

Hills were a good test especially with race next week, drove on hard up the hills (some quiet short, others a bit more of a drag) and recovery b4 next one.

13.9miles total at 7:52min/mile, avhr: 155. That was enough for me today, could have done another lap/two of farm, but its a good feeling to have knowing that.

Heading out for matches now in afternoon, refuelling on Guinness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's 'the farm' you're often referring to? Enjoy the carbohydrate refuelling!
    What's the target for the 10? Best of luck with it.

What's 'the farm' you're often referring to? Enjoy the carbohydrate refuelling!
    What's the target for the 10? Best of luck with it.

The farm is a series of back-to-back pitches near Curaheen Park in Bishopstown. One loop of it is 2.2miles, so its a good circuit. The ground conditions can vary which is good, but difficult if ure trying to push tempo on it.

Handy for the run we did today as you could stack as many laps as you want after to build up the longer runs...

For the 10, I'm thinking of low 62:xx, that'd be about a min. faster than Dungarvan ( the icing on the cake would be to dip under 62!)
    Will depend on a lot of things, the weather and how far I can push up at start the main ones!

What have you lined up for yourself next Krusty? I read back through your log from the start last week, very impressive to see how far you've come.

...in every sense of the word, from both the long run yest+the guinness!

3.09miles at 8:19min/mile, avhr:149. lovely morning+ lots of runners out, I guess, getting their last long run in before Ballycotton.

37.25 miles this week. 392.93miles for year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tisnotover wrote: »
    What have you lined up for yourself next Krusty? I read back through your log from the start last week, very impressive to see how far you've come.
    It might sounds impressive, but when you look at it, 3 months training for 5 minutes doesn't seem like that much. Next is the Wicklow Way IMRA trail race, in two weeks time, if the body's ready. I loved this race last year, so am doing it again. The only goal is to try and beat my previous finish position (21st). Then I have the Connemara Ultra two weeks later, goal of which is just to finish and enjoy it (if that's possible!). Might switch to some shorter distances for a while, before launching into another marathon program later in the year (2:48'ish), and try and do a few pacing marathons during the year too.

• Advertisement

It might sounds impressive, but when you look at it, 3 months training for 5 minutes doesn't seem like that much. Next is the Wicklow Way IMRA trail race, in two weeks time, if the body's ready. I loved this race last year, so am doing it again. The only goal is to try and beat my previous finish position (21st). Then I have the Connemara Ultra two weeks later, goal of which is just to finish and enjoy it (if that's possible!). Might switch to some shorter distances for a while, before launching into another marathon program later in the year (2:48'ish), and try and do a few pacing marathons during the year too.

Ah, I was more thinking the progression from your 10k time of 40:30 back in late 08 to the 2:55 marathon ya did last week, show's that anything's possible with the right training (and smart training at that!).

Best of luck with the new goals.

5.20miles at 8:10min/mile, avhr:151.

Lovely evening for a run, bit of a wind, but nothing too serious.Was mindful of not going too fast this evening, track beckons tomorrow+want to put in a good session. Rest of wk will be easy paced then.

Will go thru 400mile mark during the warm-up tomorrow :D

Will go thru 400mile mark during the warm-up tomorrow :D

Did that yesterday:D

You couldn't put up your planned mileage breakdown for the week? It would really help me plan my own. Do I need to do 40 this week to stay ahead?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Did that yesterday:D

You couldn't put up your planned mileage breakdown for the week? It would really help me plan my own. Do I need to do 40 this week to stay ahead?

Hehe, there's no prize for the 400mile mark I guess ;)

I could put up my planned mileage no prob. The beauty is though, that usually you update your log for the day, before I've gone out for my runs in the evening, that should help me catch u up a bit !?!

3.0m warm-up
    3*mile repeats targetting 6:12min/mile in lane 3 (93s/lap) with 2min recoveries
    1.5mile warm-down

7.5miles total.

Mile splits and hr:
    6:11 (169)
    6:14 (176)
    6:15 (177)

av-split 6:13 (~ 6:02 pace referring back to Lane 1)
    av-hr: 174.

Was abit nervy about this one tonite, first off hadn't done a track session in two weeks, second the conditions were fair poor, wind +rain!

Just me and Denis at this pace tonite, rest were about 10/15s mile back off us. Hadn't met Denis before but he's a fast f-er (ran sub 60:00 in Mallow).

Fairly stressed today with work (have to head in tomorrow as well!), but managed to get thru session well and we were fairly close2target which was good given the conditions.

Easy mileage now till Sunday, have also booked a sports massage for Thursday, so interesting to see how that goes.

3.5miles at 8:06min/mile, fairly windy in open.

Lucky to get out for this run today, had to work, project I was on was finishing, off now tho till easter....I need the break!

3.5miles (hilly) at 8:25min/mile, avhr:149 in Killeagh Wood this morn.

followed with 8*80m at 6min/mile pace to loosen out legs.

All set now for tomorrow. Sports Massage I got seems to have done the trick, legs feel fresh+no niggles. Time to start thinking about a race plan.

Ballycotton is very close to where my home is, so the parents will be out at 2/8mile mark tomorrow, extra pressure ;)

Weather is good this morn donw here, bright with only a small breeze, not too sure what tomorrow will bring, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

3.5miles (hilly) at 8:25min/mile, avhr:149 in Killeagh Wood this morn.

followed with 8*80m at 6min/mile pace to loosen out legs.

All set now for tomorrow. Sports Massage I got seems to have done the trick, legs feel fresh+no niggles. Time to start thinking about a race plan.

Ballycotton is very close to where my home is, so the parents will be out at 2/8mile mark tomorrow, extra pressure ;)

Weather is good this morn donw here, bright with only a small breeze, not too sure what tomorrow will bring, fingers crossed!

Best of luck tomorrow. Good idea with the sprints at the end, I always feel great the next day after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Give it a blast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck tomorrow,looking forward to your report

• Advertisement

Give it socks! Best of luck.

Finish Time: 63:17
    Chip Time: 63:11 (Placed 120th overall).
    http://connect.garmin.com/splits/27643961

Its a PB and I'll def take it (ran dungarvan in 63:27), but this was tough today for reasons I couldn't control (heat, wind) and one I really should have (opening pace!). the heat really was hard in 2nd half of race...

Splits and HR:

Mile split (av-HR)
    1 6:04 (169)
    2 6:07 (178)
    3 6:18 (180)
    4 6:20 (179)
    5 6:25 (178)
    6 6:27 (177)
    7 6:23 (177)
    8 6:29 (175)
    9 6:29 (177)
    10 6:10 (180)

av-pace 6:18, av-hr: 177

Detail:
    Got up where we wanted to at start, and only took a few seconds to cross the timing mats (last yr it took me 45s!), pace was ok I thought, but next time I loooked I saw it was sub 6:10 for first mile...A good few of my club mates were around me and said i'd stick with the pace though, 1st mile in 6:04, 2nd mile was net downhill again and kept my palcing to those around me. 12:11 for first two miles.

Ok, if there's anything I take from this race, or any of ye reading, do not repeat that opening pace for a 10mile race(I had in my head an overall av-pace of 6:10->6:15 and this today was < 6:06 after two miles!

I did steady the ship after seeing that split for the 3rd mile and found a group to run with, 3rd to 5th miles I was happy with the 6:20 splits that I was clicking through, as I was hoping to push on again for the 2nd half of the race. Passed half way mark in 31:14.
    The push on that I was hoping for didn't happen, legs just were not able to find there way out of the gear I was now in. I was hoping that the wind would be behind us for the 2nd half, I didn't feel it anyway ;)
    At mile 7, I stopped to take on some water, and lost a bit of momentum, but I did finish the last two miles well. The runners who were ahead of me, I found myslef catching one-by one, coming up the hill near the end of the 9th mile I had loads of energy in the legs and overtook a load of gang, and finished strong with a 6:10 to the finish. I think I passed 20-25 people in last couple of miles, the main thing that spurred me on was the chance that I could beat my Dungarvan 10mile time.

Wrecked tired now and a bit disappointed that I didn't go sub-63, I really did think this wk that I had it in me. Looking at the race results though, it seems the times are generally down from last year. e.g. 63:11 would have placed me > 150th last yr!

I have to say hats off to Gringo78 for running a savage time today, really unlucky that ya didn't go sub-60, looking forward to reading your race report.

Weekly Mileage: 31.7miles

Well done Tisnotover,its always nice to get a PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Strong running there, sounded like toughie - bank the PB and move on, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Well done on the PB. I´m sure in cooler conditions you would have got under the 63mins.

well done. see the results are up. times are about 1.5min slower than last year. great pb. always improving, thats the aim.

Well done on the PB Tisnotover. Onwards and upwards.

tx for the comments lads, all taken on-board. pb's are damn hard to come by at times and i'll def take yesterday's!

5.16miles (hilly) at 8:25min/mile, avhr:152 in Killeagh Wood this morning. there was some rain down here afterwards last nite, woke me up couple of times but was lovely out for this run.

The marathon now is main focus and long runs at wknd need to be built up (starting this wknd). I've two races pencilled in, the UCC 10k and the Bay Run 1/2 in Bantry.

tx for the comments lads, all taken on-board. pb's are damn hard to come by at times and i'll def take yesterday's!

5.16miles (hilly) at 8:25min/mile, avhr:152 in Killeagh Wood this morning. there was some rain down here afterwards last nite, woke me up couple of times but was lovely out for this run.

The marathon now is main focus and long runs at wknd need to be built up (starting this wknd). I've two races pencilled in, the UCC 10k and the Bay Run 1/2 in Bantry.

I love those slow runs after a hard session or race....

What are your LSR's up to tissy ?
    With 10 weeks to go how many 18's or 20's are you planning ?

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    I love those slow runs after a hard session or race....

What are your LSR's up to tissy ?
    With 10 weeks to go how many 18's or 20's are you planning ?

I needed that run this morn, to calm me down a bit+ get back into swing of things ;)

I've done one 16 and one 15.5. Next two wknd's will do prob 18 and 20 with the club.
    After that I'd hope to get at least two more 20's in, plan is based roughly off Hal Higdon's Intermediate II plan.

Advertisement