Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

congrats on the PB TNO, especially doing it in Ballyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

8miles total tonite with 3mile fartlek session.

Aim of fartlek was to stride out at each of bends and easy recovery on straights. Good session, was easy out for first mile, but was working (race-legs) for last two.

Covered 3.11miles in 20:53 at average pace of 6:42min/mile, avhr:171.
    Each mile was about 10s faster then previous split.

lovely morn for a run, ground was a bit wet at farm, but didn't care, if anything it helped me keep speed down!

4.90miles at 8:17min/mile, avhr:147.

Body seems to have recovered from Ballycotton, so felt up to this session today. Also wanted to bring it forward to today as will be doing a long run with club on sat and didn't want to be too tired for it.

Plan was 2*2mile + 1*1mile at 10mile to 1/2 pace, with 2min active recoveries, 1.5mile warm-up and down.

Summary: 8.63m in 1:02:35, av-pace 7:15min/mile

Tempo splits: 6:24, 6:25, 6:34
    HR Splits: 171, 174, 174.

Last mile split was into a good wind, rather than aiming for 6:25 pace, I kept effort (HR) constant instead. Happy with this session as last time I attempted this I did 2min static recoveries and I also added another mile to it today...a nice continuous run!

18.5miles at 7:56min/mile, avhr: 157.

I was nervous about this run this morn as I knew it was going to be my longest to date. Good group of us from club set off at 8am though and over a very hilly route for 1st half, with one really sharp hill at about 6mile mark (I'll be ready for it next time!).

Legs were iffy at start, but they came good about 8mile mark. Carried a small bottle of hi-5 with me, which gave me a stitch when I took it today (must dilute more). Took one sis go-gel after 12mile mark, and it def hit the spot, was flying after it, those gels are really easy to take and ya don;t need water with em.
    Quick stop at car for more hi-5 before last few mile which were faster (on grass) ~7min/mile, brought av-pace down under 8min/mile.

Very happy with this run, especially as to how unsure I was at start and how good I felt at end (was the one pushing the pace over last few miles).
    Could have done 20 but it was enough for me at 18.5 today.

45.2miles this week

(57.2 since last sunday, yikes!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

great week there, esp after the race last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Tissy,
    Nice to get the first long one out of the way.
    You will be more confident next week as you finished strong today.
    Its all in the head....10 weeks to Cork !

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done Tissy,
    Nice to get the first long one out of the way.
    You will be more confident next week as you finished strong today.
    Its all in the head....10 weeks to Cork !

Yep, its a good bit about confidence alrite, rememer last yr I had same feeling when I ran 15 for first time!

The marathon will be the same I'm guessing as its my first time doing one, I think targetting a specific time can wait for the next one, Cork will be about enjoying+learning from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Took one sis go-gel after 12mile mark, and it def hit the spot, was flying after it, those gels are really easy to take and ya don;t need water with em.

Good going, they'll get easier week on week.

Where do you get the sis go-gels in cork? I'm looking to get some gels for connemara and want the more liquidy type ones perferably that can be taken easy without water...is that what the sis go-gels are like?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Good going, they'll get easier week on week.

Where do you get the sis go-gels in cork? I'm looking to get some gels for connemara and want the more liquidy type ones perferably that can be taken easy without water...is that what the sis go-gels are like?

I bought a couple of gels in "The Edge" few weeks ago, one of them was the SIS go-gel, which I found the easiest as ya didn't have to take it with water.

I then ordered a box of them off wiggle.co.uk. The blackcurrant flavour suits me fine as the hi-5 drink I take has same flavour as well. Delivery was very fast from wiggle like, a couple of days!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Science_in_Sport_Box_Of_30_60ml_Go_Gel_Sachets/5360010677/

• Advertisement

5.03miles at 8:06min/mile, avhr:148 over hills in Bishopstown.

Legs needed the run, def feeling the long run from sat in them, aerobically i'm flying these days, heart rate was low, which is a good sign.

A little bit wet out, but good to get the week going.

Coach has changed from mile repeats to doing km repeats for next few weeks.

Pretty nasty evening out there, cold air and very windy, the wind was right into ya strong on one straight+ya were pushed well along on the opposite, interesting!

Aim was 3*1km at 86s-89s / 400m. As we were in Lane 3, thats 89-92s/lap, so about 3:45/km. 3min recoveries inbetween repeats, (jogging 200m back to where ya started each repeat)

Summary:

7.25miles total (3mile warm-up, 2mile warm-down)
    1km splits: 3:50, 3:46, 3:43, av-split: 3:46.
    hr splits: 162, 171, 171, av-split: 168.

Overall this was a handy enough session, the 3min recovery seemed a bit long, and i'm not sure about the pace, it felt comfortable enough, was doing mile repeats at this pace a few weeks ago.

Will see how we go sure as weeks go on and # repeats increase.

COME ON UNITED!!

6.07miles at 7:58min/mile, avhr:153.

Ran the UCC 10k loop this morning (a race which is on sun week), bit windy out there, but not as bad as yesterday, course has a couple of drags, with one main climb, rest is just flat, with last 2.25miles on the Lee road.

Right calf a bit sore again, will need to watch this.

Another month gone, 177miles for March, which is my highest ever, onwards and upwards we carry on ;)

rest day yesterday.

Been a while since I did a PMP run, that was 6miles at PMP, today I wanted to do 3*3miles at PMP with 3min jog recoveries, 1mile warm-up, 1mile warm-down.

Session summary:

11.83 miles in 1:26:20, av-pace: 7:18min/mile, avhr:164.

With 3*3mile pace splits of 7:04 (164), 7:03 (167), 7:03 (169).

With having rested yesterday I thought this mite have been an easier session, but it was warm out there + windy in stretches. A lot of this was on the marathon route, by Mahon/Blackrock and condiitons could be typical of what we'll see on June 7th!

I let the HR dictate what PMP to aim for, last time I hit the 160-165 range in much cooler conditions and also at a marginally faster PMP pace, just goes to show how heat affects things.

Happy out with the session though, it was hard at first but got easier, must remember to bring a bottle with me next time. Also passed through the 500mile mark today, yippee ;)

Just two of us this morning, set off on a hilly loop from Ballincollig, conditions perfect for running, a little bit cold, but dry.

Loop was 17miles and I stuck on a lap of farm at end to bring total to 19.4miles. Man there were some hills on the Ballincollig loop, especially the third one, which came after 13.5miles.

Worth having a look at the elevation chart for this run, i'm thinking of printing it off ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28776564

Summary 19.4miles in 2:38:13, 8:09 av-pace, av-hr : 152.

that gives 49.58miles for the week, with my longest run and highest weekly mileage to date. Next week, I will take as step-back kinda week, skip the long run and give the UCC 10k race a go instead.

P.S. fuel-belt with 2*hi-5 drinks used (were very needed this morning with hills!), plus 1*SIS go-gel taken at 12miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

yeah great week tno. Are you gonna (apart from next week) hit 50+ miles for the remainder of Cork training? Whats the general plan for mileage?

yeah great week tno. Are you gonna (apart from next week) hit 50+ miles for the remainder of Cork training? Whats the general plan for mileage?

Will try and keep the mileage at minimum 45miles with a couple of 55mile weeks.

I'd hope to get a couple of 20mile runs in, maybe a 22mile run as well. The pace of the long runs i'm happy with as some of the routes we do are tough, with good hills.

This was more of a recovery run from my galavanting around Cork last nite than anything else, put it off as long as possible, but the wind was still blowing outside.

5.52miles at 8:07min/mile, avhr:152, very windy!

P.S. Morgans+coke is now my favourite drink ;)

P.S. Morgans+coke is now my favourite drink ;)

Cap and Coke (as they call it in the U.S.) is the Wifes poison...its like a summer drink !

Sosa wrote: »
    Cap and Coke (as they call it in the U.S.) is the Wifes poison...its like a summer drink !

oh man, its way too easy to drink it, went down easy after the guinness and vodkas before it!

• Advertisement

One more km added, so aim was 4*1km at 89s/400m in Lane 3, thats 3:43min/kmwith3min recoveries inbetween repeats, (jogging 200m back to where ya started).

Not too bad an evening at all for running, def easier than last week, not as windy!

Summary:

7.25miles total (3mile warm-up, 1.25mile warm-down)
    1km splits: 3:46, 3:43, 3:44, 3:43 av-split: 3:44.
    hr splits: 167, 174, 172, 174 av-split: 172.

Decent session tonite, splits very close to target, much easier to read where u are with watch when its daylight on track (checking every 100/200).
    Even happier as legs were tired going into this from saturday's long run, shows that I can still do some speed-work even with the longer runs...

This run I had set to the alarm to do at 7am, but was too lazy and put it off till after the match tonite!

5.29 miles around Bishopstown, 8min/mile, avhr:157. Heart-rate a bit high, more due to united being knocked out than anything else i'm thinking!

5.3miles easy out at farm, 7:54min/mile, avhr:153. Nice evening out, warm, so wore the shorts, 1st time in a while (my lovely white legs on show!!).

rest tomorrow.
    couple miles easy+strides on sat
    race UCC 10k on sunday.

Out to farm for an easy run (enjoyed the rest in bed this morn, lately i'd have done 2.5hrs running by now!)

2.6miles at 7:46min/mile, avhr:153, warm-out and it will be for the 10k tomorrow too.

Downhill start, so expecting a fast first mile, aim will be to do as many low 6's as I can, will lose a bit on the hill around 3mile mark, but hopefully can pick up time on the str8 road (last 2.25miles), its dead flat like.

Anyone who saw Cancellara win Paris Roubaix last week, well thats how I'm gonna treat the last 2.5miles, just go for it! :D

Looking forward to reading all the marathon reports from this wknd, a lot of races on.

Out to farm for an easy run (enjoyed the rest in bed this morn, lately i'd have done 2.5hrs running by now!)

2.6miles at 7:46min/mile, avhr:153, warm-out and it will be for the 10k tomorrow too.

Downhill start, so expecting a fast first mile, aim will be to do as many low 6's as I can, will lose a bit on the hill around 3mile mark, but hopefully can pick up time on the str8 road (last 2.25miles), its dead flat like.

Anyone who saw Cancellara win Paris Roubaix last week, well thats how I'm gonna treat the last 2.5miles, just go for it! :D

Looking forward to reading all the marathon reports from this wknd, a lot of races on.

37:20 is 6:00 Pace...go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Worth having a look at the elevation chart for this run, i'm thinking of printing it off ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28776564

Some serious elevation there alright. By my Garmin data from cork marathon, its <1000ft ascent in 26 miles so you did 28% more in the 17 miles - a very good training run for the marathon

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Some serious elevation there alright. By my Garmin data from cork marathon, its <1000ft ascent in 26 miles so you did 28% more in the 17 miles - a very good training run for the marathon

we've found some good runs alrite, but that one was fair tough, grand apart from the 3rd hill, was too much really, was landing on my toes going forward like, think i'll leave that type of running to the IMRA lads !?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good Luck 2moro TNO - 37:20 is well within your grasp.

@Sosa and @ BeepBeep, can ye give me the lotto mumbers too?

UCC 10k today in 37:19 by my watch, over the moon, will put up race report later.
    One of my goals this yr was to get all races upto 10k at/around 6min/mile, which is exactly where time today is.

Off out now to enjoy sunny Cork...

• Advertisement

@Sosa and @ BeepBeep, can ye give me the lotto mumbers too?

UCC 10k today in 37:19 by my watch, over the moon, will put up race report later.
    One of my goals this yr was to get all races upto 10k at/around 6min/mile, which is exactly where time today is.

Off out now to enjoy sunny Cork...

Fantastic....well done

Advertisement