Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On and On - We Carry On

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

tisnotover wrote: »
    @Sosa and @ BeepBeep, can ye give me the lotto mumbers too?

UCC 10k today in 37:19 by my watch, over the moon, will put up race report later.
    One of my goals this yr was to get all races upto 10k at/around 6min/mile, which is exactly where time today is.

Off out now to enjoy sunny Cork...

Nice running - 37:20 is one of my major targets so I can imagine how you must feel - btw I'm waiting until the Lotto tops €20M :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Just about calmed down from the race this morning...The way I planned the race came off perfectly, even in the heat, and it was very warm.

Did a 2mile warm-up, after which was sweating already, down to register + change into racing gear. Race starts on a downhill slope, so pushed up towards front to lads I knew would be around same pace as me.

Very fast opening 1/2mile, a group of 8 seemed to sort itself out, with me and another lad from the club hanging at the back of it. Was feeling fresh so decided to go with the pace, and managed to stay with the group, for next few miles, until it broke up on the hills between 2+3mile mark.

Relaxed on the downhill that followed, as felt it going up the hill, ran quicker than I thought I would for the 3rd mile. Some lads tore off on the downhill as if a new race was starting, but I stuck to the plan, recovered, main plan now was to steady the ship till we turned onto the straight road.

We were well strung out now going thru 4 mile mark, in single file like, club-mate passed me on a charge here, but aimed to keep the gap between myself and him constant for next couple of miles, which worked out. Its a long stretch running in here, heat was really hard going and mile marks looked liked they'd never come!

Passing thru 6mile mark, a lad I know cheered us on, which seemed to kick me into another gear, as I managed to run a fast last 0.2mile, passing my club-mate just before the line. really happy when I saw the time on the clock, its a PB i'll be keeping for a while !

Garmin Connect:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29677072

Mile splits (HR)
    1 5:43 (171)
    2 6:09 (182)
    3 6:05 (182)
    4 6:07 (182)
    5 6:00 (182)
    6 6:00 (183)
    0.2 1:12 (186)

Total 37:18, avhr: 181.

Heart-rate splits reflect effort, but also heat I think, a lot higher than Ballycotton. Very happy with way I got up the hills, the long runs are paying off, and looks like I still have good speed even with higher mileage.

9.2miles total today, 35.16 for week

5.52 miles at 8:03min/mile, avhr: 151.

Lovely out again this morning, with little wind. Legs feel not to bad to be honest, have often felt a lot worse after a race. good to know as will be doing a good few miles this week.

Only 8 weeks to Cork !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

results are up on cork running blog. well done, 23rd, great running, ran it last year and its tough when the sun shines

Gringo78 wrote: »
    results are up on cork running blog. well done, 23rd, great running, ran it last year and its tough when the sun shines

thanks lad, delighted with placing as well, felt like I was in a real race on Sunday, especially when running within a group, def easier than no-mans land!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Ah class tno, well done. You must be bursting with confidence. I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the Cork lads progress. Great things ahead from many.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running tisnotover and top placing! Looks like it was tough racing weather all over the country. What's next on the agenda?

Great running tisnotover and top placing! Looks like it was tough racing weather all over the country. What's next on the agenda?

There's the "Bay Run" half marathon on the May Bank hol wknd, which will be a good test as it has a hilly profile (normally hot weather too!), so good prep for Cork. Will also use it as a proper test for using gels/water in race.

Tempted to do a 4mile race on thurs week, 1st of the evening races down here in Cork, but am prob better off doing a marathon specific run instead, the 10km has given me enough info as to my basic speed is I think.

Legs weren't looking forward to this session tonight!

Stepped down to a different pace group, which were targetting 92s/lap in Lane 3, thats 3:50/km.3min recoveries.(200m jog)

Summary:
    7.95miles total
    4.2 mile warm-up
    3*1k splits (HR): 3:49 (161), 3:48 (170), 3:49 (169)
    1.5mile warm-down

av-split: 3:49, avhr: 167.

Pace was on target but I felt it from the off, just sat at the back of the group and let them dictate pace, heart-rate was fine, but legs just did not have it. Should be back upto speed next Tuesday.

Was thinking about this last night and think its time to focus on doing more marathon paced runs, upto now, have been alternating a tempo interval workout with a PMP run, but now think I need to focus on PMP workouts, especially with < 8 weeks to Cork.

The longest workout i've done is ~12miles with 3*3miles at PMP pace, hopefully can build on this by either doing continous runs at PMP pace, or PMP intervals like the above....

• Advertisement

5.47 miles at 7:40min/mile, avhr = ??? (battery gone, was reading > 200!)

Ran this a tad too fast I reckon by my standards, legs were sore-ish, actually felt better on Monday I reckon!?!

Definately resting tomorrow, hopefully fresher for PMP run then Friday.

Ran this with John from work, aim was to do 12miles with 10 at PMP, targetting 6:55 to 7:00. Evening cooled down a good bit, so was perfect conditions for running, mite bring sunglasses next time, were running into a low sun for a nice bit

For some reason, we ended up doing an extra mile at PMP pace, this was due to me having the 405 at lap distance, rather than checking total distance, anyway, no harm done, but we;ll be tired for tomorrow's long run!!

Summary:
    13.0 miles in 1:32:42 (7:08min/mile, avhr: 162)
    which included 11.0miles at avPMP pace 6:55, avPMPhr: 165.

The longest PMP run to date+glad of company, mite have bailed out earlier otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

just catching up TNO, super running

Went to bed early last nite, about half ten, was wrecked after the run and we were setting off at 7:30 this morn. John, Pat and myself met up at B+Q car-park, with Pat keen to do as much as the marathon route (western bit) as possible.

Legs were dodgy starting off, but we were taking it handy at about 9:30min/mile pace, slowly ramped up pace, and was easy to get back on track once we were on the loop by estruary. It was a good run to do in fairness, to see where the course goes and what hills there are, the model farm road, does have a pull in it, but its not too serious, a few weeks of hill training will sort that out.

In all we covered 20.5miles in 2:46:23. Thats an av-pace of 8:07min/mile and avhr: 154.
    the route might have been flatter than what we'd normally do, but I can tell ya I found the last 8 miles hard going, legs were really tired from yesterday evening. I wore the water-bottle belt today and drank 3*8oz bottles with hi-5 in them, also took two SIS gels at miles 9 and 16.

I think we'll have to space the PMP run away from the long run, especially as the two of them converge a bit in distance, as I'd hope to build up to doing at least 13miles at PMP, which would at a minimum be part of 15 mile run.

52.44miles for week, very tired now, feet up for the day, and you guessed it, Guinness later!!

Ouch. that is a very tough week after a race. Fair play to ya.

Garmin data from Friday's PMP run:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30288140

Garmin data from today's long run:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30288128

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I think we'll have to space the PMP run away from the long run, especially as the two of them converge a bit in distance

some will tell you that that is good strength training to do them back to back,but i have a 3/4 day break between hard sessions and find that works well for me...but everyone to there own

enjoy the guiness

Sosa wrote: »
    some will tell you that that is good strength training to do them back to back,but i have a 3/4 day break between hard sessions and find that works well for me...but everyone to there own

enjoy the guiness

Really felt the run today though, normally fresher after even hillier long runs. The Hal Higdon Inter II plan would have the runs back to back, as u say for strength training, but by god its tough going.

Not too long to go no Sosa till cork, yikes !?!

And I will enjoy the guinness, hopefully won't end up on the morgan's+coke again !

5.55miles at 8:02min/mile, avhr: 145.

Ran with Pat from club, and was good to have the company, right calf a bit sore, legs were really tired after for day on Saturday as well as Sunday. Probably wasn;t helped by my venture into city either on sat nite for porter!!

Only 7wks now to Cork, thoughts in my head are about how much work it takes to build up endurance for marathon compared to anything else, halfs are much easier to train for! My thinking is to do Cork and do the shorter stuff for the summer, as to whether I do another marathon or not after Cork, well, we'll think about that some other time!

5.55miles at 8:02min/mile, avhr: 145.

Ran with Pat from club, and was good to have the company, right calf a bit sore, legs were really tired after for day on Saturday as well as Sunday. Probably wasn;t helped by my venture into city either on sat nite for porter!!

Only 7wks now to Cork, thoughts in my head are about how much work it takes to build up endurance for marathon compared to anything else, halfs are much easier to train for! My thinking is to do Cork and do the shorter stuff for the summer, as to whether I do another marathon or not after Cork, well, we'll think about that some other time!

Halfs are a b!tch to train for...think marathon paced runs....now think half marathon paced runs...a different animal altogether.
    I did a half 7 weeks after Dublin last year.
    The first week after Dublin i did nothing,then i did 30 slow miles,then i did 37 slowish miles...that left me 4 weeks to the half.
    I did 2 weeks of 50ish miles that brought me up to race week.
    In the 2 weeks of 50's i had some hmp runs in there and they nearly killed me....your talking 6:20 pace for 2/3m i could not manage,so soon after Dublin...i got through the half in 83:37....it was a pb but i was only around 80% fit for it...not injured or anything,just still sluggish after the marathon...
    I didnt get my mojo back until the middle of January,10 weeks after the marathon.

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    Halfs are a b!tch to train for...think marathon paced runs....now think half marathon paced runs...a different animal altogether.
    I did a half 7 weeks after Dublin last year.
    The first week after Dublin i did nothing,then i did 30 slow miles,then i did 37 slowish miles...that left me 4 weeks to the half.
    I did 2 weeks of 50ish miles that brought me up to race week.
    In the 2 weeks of 50's i had some hmp runs in there and they nearly killed me....your talking 6:20 pace for 2/3m i could not manage,so soon after Dublin...i got through the half in 83:37....it was a pb but i was only around 80% fit for it...not injured or anything,just still sluggish after the marathon...
    I didnt get my mojo back until the middle of January,10 weeks after the marathon.

Fair point Sosa, recovering after the marathon will also be a new experience for me, and could very week take 10weeks before I get back to where i'm happy!

Believe me, I know HMP runs are tough going as its my least favourite form of training! But the long run you do(well, I'd do) following it, is say 13miles max. I still see this as more manageable, compared to doing a PMP run and a long run in same week.

Just my opinion!

Fair point Sosa, recovering after the marathon will also be a new experience for me, and could very week take 10weeks before I get back to where i'm happy!

Believe me, I know HMP runs are tough going as its my least favourite form of training! But the long run you do(well, I'd do) following it, is say 13miles max. I still see this as more manageable, compared to doing a PMP run and a long run in same week.

Just my opinion!

I didnt do that for Dublin last year ( pmp run and long in same week ),and i only did 50m a week for it and it still took me 10 weeks to get back into properly.
    I did 1x15m run 6 weeks after Dublin,the next long one after that was 16m in mid Jan...i did a few 13's alright.

Out to CIT for track session with club, good group of us out. Was targetting 89s/lap in lane 3, 3:43/km target pace. Legs were fine after warm-up and were ok for first 3 repeats, but really found myself working for last two! We were well off pace going into last 400m, but lads gave massive sprint to bring it home in 3:42...

Summary:
    8.0miles total
    3.0mile warm-up
    5*1k splits (HR): 3:44 (166), 3:45 (174) 3:44 (175), 3:45 (175) 3:42 (176)
    1.25mile warm-down

av-split: 3:44, avhr: 173.

4.41 miles at 7:49min/mile, avhr: 146.

Not much to say about this run, legs needed it, as tired from track last nite.

Group of us gonna chance a PMP run tomorrow evening, thinking 4*3miles at PMP pace.

Will rest then friday+maybe 16 on sat.

15.85miles with 4*3miles at PMP pace, 3min jog between repeats. Ran this with John and Pat from the club and was def easier having company, last time I barely hit 7min/mile on my own, but tonite, we were about 6:45 mark.

3mile pace splits (HR): 6:45 (166), 6:45 (169), 6:39 (172), 6:44 (170)
    giving av-pace 6:44, avhr: 169.

Pace was faster than my targetted PMP to be fair, but there was perfect conditions tonite, nice and cool and we flew along, if only they held the Cork marathon at nite ;) Not quite sure what happened on the third repeat, small bit of GPS error mite have crept in.

Ran with fuel belt and drank 2*hi-5 bottles. Back using the DS trainer again and have had no problems, will prob use this in the marathon too.

Rest day tomorrow and really looking forward to it, though I do have a job interview, yikes!

Rested yesterday, so thought I'd be a bit fresher for today's run. didn;t help though that I slept in and just made it in time for the club run at 8am!

Were back on the monkstown, rafeen hill loop, so nice and flat in fairness apart from the hill, which I made a point of attacking. Finished with a couple of miles at 7min/mile pace, though this was tough as legs were tired.

Total: 16.0miles in 2:08:54, av-pace: 8:03min/mile, avhr:155.

Total miles this week: 49.81miles, thats over 100 for last two!

Body is tired now, and will have a handy-ish week next week, before the half in Bantry. Will also try and get a sports massage on thursday maybe, it did the trick before Ballycotton!

Looks like, only 6 weeks to go !?! :eek:

6weeks....The business end of things Tno. Good couple of days there. How did the interview go? Horrible things.

6weeks....The business end of things Tno. Good couple of days there. How did the interview go? Horrible things.

hiya, interview went well thanks, will hopefully get call-back.was shattered after it though!

watching london marathon now here, inspirational stuff !

Would normally do an easy 5miles on a Monday, but goona take a rest day today, body+mind are both tired. Two hard weeks in a row with two long runs and a session of beer on the sat nite is catching up with me!

This is a step-down week anyway with half on sunday so not too bothered, but will address the drinking I think, long runs at 8am and staying out till 3/4am the sat nite are not part of most marathon programmes i'm guessing, even worse when there's a woman involved too !

Going to see Shawshank Redemption later, so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

3mile pace splits (HR): 6:45 (166), 6:45 (169), 6:39 (172), 6:44 (170)
    giving av-pace 6:44, avhr: 169.

Pace was faster than my targetted PMP to be fair,

Good running TNO.

Just a warning about the garmin and marathons. From my own experience and from what ive read its wise to assume a garmin-distance of ca. 26.5 miles for the marathon when judging pace.

My garmin told me I was doing 7'13/mile last year in Dublin, but when I finished I had actually run 7'16 - through either sat error or not taking the racing line or both.

6'45 for 26.5 miles (either garmin or real miles) is 2'58'53, which leaves a minute cushion. Thus IMO your PMP pace is sensible.

Enjoying the log - best of luck in the final few weeks!

Advertisement