Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be Alert!!!

Options
  • 23-10-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

A couple of weeks ago a few of us were out in Letterkenny of a Friday night....Great night was had between McGs and then Voodoo...

Anyway, we staggered home around 3AM and went to bed..
    Next morning, I went to get my mobile from my bag and there was no mobile in my bag! First thoughts were that
    I'd left it somewhere, then I'd remembered (to the best of my ability!), that I hadn't used the phone since 10PM on the Friday night.

First thing I did was logon to my account (I am a Bill Payer) and check.
    Phone was used at 4AM on mobile internet and then again at 10AM on the Sat to make numerous calls to just 2 numbers for extended periods.
    I immediately rang my mobile operator and got the SIM and phone blocked. Thankfully they'd only used up €6.

I rang the 2 numbers that had been called from my mobile and
    after initially answering their phones and I asked for help to trace my 'missing' mobile, I then endured hours of being hung up on or going to voicemail.
    Please note here that I obviously didn't accuse these dialed numbers of having my phone but still, they knew something.

One finally gave in and answered the call. In a foreign accent, they 'stated' that they knew nothing about my phone and
    whoever had previously rang on my mobile number had been inquiring about a car they had for sale!!
    Hmm...you hang up firstly and then 7 hours later, you've a car for sale. Needless to say I got nowhere and no surprise!

That still didn't stop me annoying them by hitting speed dial every few seconds while watching TV for the rest of the weekend.
    Yes pointless and I was angry but wanted to annoy them as much as they'd annoyed me!

As it turned out, on that on the very night, I heard about 3 other people who had their belongings stolen either in McGs or Voodoo.
    One person had their wallet and cards nicked, another had their wallet nicked but found it later minus cash and finally, I heard that there was a lady on
    Highland who had her bag and all its contents nicked.
    She apparently just wanted her SIM back for personal reasons.

It is not surprising that this happens, but is just very frustrating when it does.
    In my case I had only had the new phone 3 weeks and it wasn't the handset that was the real issue, It was the photos I had on it and the
    personal numbers and texts.

Just a warning to mind your belongings, because probably as in the night in question, there's obviously a group doing the rounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Good advice to be careful in all pubs, clubs or take-aways etc, not just those two establishments.

But i have to say it amazes me about wimem bring handbags to clubs, recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Those new little bags that you can put over your shoulder around your body are far safer and thankfully they're in fashion, just a shame they don't fit my kitchen sink in it though!

Men + Pockets = WIN:D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Senna wrote: »
    Men + Pockets = WIN:D

"A man's pockets is his kingdom."

irlpic wrote: »
    "A man's pockets is his kingdom."

No that's behind the pocket, slightly to the center....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

on a similar note, there have been a few break ins in the Ballybofey area in recent months... domestic houses in the middle of the night, in one case the family were upstairs asleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Exact same thing happened to me a few months back..was in Voodoo & lost my phone, no answer when I called it so obviously thought I'd lost it somewhere but after an extensive search by the staff it wasnt there and I called again and someone with an East European accent picked up and immedietly hung up when they realised who I was. Called back again but kept getting voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Desperate i hate thieves why can they not do something else than rob people arrgghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I am baffled that this technology is easily monitored, the recent successful Omagh and Murder cases were won on Mobile phone records, it is not the hardest technology to deal with yet there appears to be no appetite to deal with what is obviouly some sort of organised theft.

Would our politicians not be better served to sit in the dail (Maybe attend for one full day for a change to do so) and compell the mobile companies who have a very profitible operation in Ireland, provide this data to the Gardai with out all the crap that makes it only worth going or paying for in a massive case. It is not rocket science. They could hand over quite an amount of evidence

The mobile phone companies can tell roughly were the phone is by triangulating the position of 3 masts, but thats very inaccurate, maybe to within a 500sq meter area and needs to have the original sim card in it. In the Omagh trial, they worked out that the phone was used at a couple of points, all these points were close to/along a road, so they worked out the direction and times they travelled over the border.

AFAIK the IMEI number of stolen phones aren't recorded (by insurance companies or phone companies), so even if the garda did find a stolen phone (without sim) they couldn't find out who lost it. That used to be the way it was a few years ago anyway, i doubt its changed.

It doesn't seem like anyone is too interested in stopping phone thieves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement