Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Big Brother" now up and running in New Ross.

Options
  • 23-10-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

New Ross is now the latest town to have a sophisticated surveillance network. It has now joined many of the other town and cities across the country where every street corner will be monitored and recorded by the authorities using a sophisticated CCTV to watch all your movements.

The cameras in question are sphere shaped, originally designed for riot control vehicles in the UK. They have the capability of reading a newspaper held in your hands and can also pan tilt zoom, and be programmed to monitor any unusual behavior such as the day to day movement of ordinary citizens. :eek:

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/eight-cctv-cameras-go-live-in-new-ross-1921770.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Me...I got nothing to hide! IMO if it helps deter opportunistic thieving / muggings / anti-social behaviour then I don;t have a problem.....as long as it is on public areas and is subject to strict guidelines on use I'm all for it. ...invasion of privacy some might say? ....I would argue that they are in public areas and therefore you are choosing to be in those places......be interested to find out what others think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They are very welcome and long overdue
    hope they work well in darker areas , as its well known that the NRTC don't spend a lot of money on ESB.

Just look at the NR public town park ....Its a scary place to be after dark sometimes .
    There are guys running laps of the track in pitch darkness , and they are gone past you before you know it .

Good call I think. Needed in Wexford as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Don't worry they will soon be in every town and village in the country. Ennis is currently going through phase two.

Reading the wording of project Indect would put the shivers down one's spine because I think this is where it is all heading. :eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6210255/EU-funding-Orwellian-artificial-intelligence-plan-to-monitor-public-for-abnormal-behaviour.html

RTDH, you know the correct forum for that kind of talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

Are we really at that stage where we need camera's on every street corner? It seems a bit extreme!

RTDH, you know the correct forum for that kind of talk.
    Its no longer a Conspiracy.

People are now being rewarded for spying out on others.

RTDH, the topic of this conversation is the installtion of cameras in New Ross. I suggest that you (and everyone else) sticks to it.

Lets not have any New World Order meets George Orwell here thanks, conspiracy theory forum is where that goes.

Just as a matter of interest who's is gonna be monitoring the cameras? I'm sure its already stated somewhere, but I'm VERY lazy! Are the gardai gonna be watching live, or is it contracted out to some company? Or are they just there to record anything that happens so the coppers can go back over events linked to a crime/complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Well done New Ross. The sooner CCTV Cameras are in every public space in our towns the better. I have nothing to hide being filmed walking down any street having a laugh with my friends. In fact, it might prove handy some day for me to defend myself against some unfounded allegation or to prosecute someone who may harm me in some way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

Just as a matter of interest who's is gonna be monitoring the cameras? I'm sure its already stated somewhere, but I'm VERY lazy! Are the Gardai gonna be watching live, or is it contracted out to some company?

I guess as RTTH insinuates these will inevitably be subbed out to a third party.

I believe 1500 Gardai are to be laid off on early pension with just 600 recruits to replace them at at Templemore. It would make perfect sense to have "Robocop" installed on poles throughout every town and city in the country. If I was a Garda I would be very worried that my round on the urban beat could be replaced by a sophisticated CCTV camera.
    Or are they just there to record anything that happens so the coppers can go back over events linked to a crime/complaint?
    I also believe these cameras operate on WIFI, if you look closely you will see an antenna, possibly a solar panel to make them "standalone" As anyone familiar with data retention under EU law, Information on these cameras can be stored on for up to two years and used as evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I'm delighted to see it. Hopefully in the future we will be able to catch the likes of the scumbag who assaulted a mate of mine in a completely unprovoked attack on the Dunbrody festival weekend as he stood in a queue outside a chip shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

New Ross always had a reputation of being one hell of a rough town. Was on the end of a few unprovoked slaps myself in my time while standing ouside JR's.

I dont have any problem with the cameras.

JR's was a notorious somes years ago.

The problem is mainly caused by these take-away's staying open after 12 midnight.

The gardai do advise these take-away's , that they would prefer if they closed earlier , but I don't think they can make them close earlier .

The problem is mainly caused by these take-away's staying open after 12 midnight.

The gardai do advise these take-away's , that they would prefer if they closed earlier , but I don't think they can make them close earlier .
    Nothing stopping the Government making laws to shut down takeaways earlier if the felt it helped keep law and order, It has already happened with off licenses and nightclubs

Nothing stopping the Government making laws to shut down takeaways earlier if the felt it helped keep law and order, It has already happened with off licenses and nightclubs
    Wrong, takeaways don't require a licence, nor should they.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

As someone who grew up in and around New Ross I think this is a very good thing.

I misspent my youth drinking in Ross and barely saw any Gardai presence at night while vast amounts of people poured out of pubs and night clubs. I can think of many occasions where people were battered, robbed or worse where some CCTV could have made a diference.

TBH New Ross is a hole and this should help sort the town out.

No, the problem is caused by the relatively few scumbags that you have in the town - much the same as everywhere else really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have them in Waterford also. I believe they are only being used in the event of a crime and are not monitored around the block.

Good addition imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

New Ross always had a reputation of being one hell of a rough town. Was on the end of a few unprovoked slaps myself in my time while standing ouside JR's.
    Snap, but then who hasnt???

I hated walkin around ross as a kid, if you were identified as a Counsel boy the you were basicly Fukkked, so we traveled in groups, which led to them travellin in groups, which as you cangues caused everything to escalate at a mad pace.
    I dont have any problem with the cameras.
    I still have a problem with the cameras, its not like the Gardai dont know who is causing the trouble, they just dont have the manpower orthe will to deal with it, this is a placebo for public order but will be turned against the general population in some manner further down the track.

ANPR springs to mind and a congestion charge to get up Mary street is the first thought I had

• Advertisement

Whats often more of an issue for the guards is they will nab someone, get a witness to come forward, spend ages in the station (rather then on the street) preparing it to go to court and then the judge will just say 'ah sure, you had a rough childhood (despite previous form), lets give you another chance. For minor crime, the guards pick someone up knowing there is pretty much a 9/10 chance the courts will let them off.

TBH, I think thats a much larger problem then the proliferation of cameras.

Snap, but then who hasnt???

I hated walkin around ross as a kid, if you were identified as a Counsel boy the you were basicly Fukkked, so we traveled in groups, which led to them travellin in groups, which as you cangues caused everything to escalate at a mad pace.

I still have a problem with the cameras, its not like the Gardai dont know who is causing the trouble, they just dont have the manpower orthe will to deal with it, this is a placebo for public order but will be turned against the general population in some manner further down the track.

ANPR springs to mind and a congestion charge to get up Mary street is the first thought I had

Knowing who the scumbags are is not much good unless you can get them convicted in court after they're charged with an offence. CCTV will help in this regard imo. I have absolutely no worries whatsoever that down the line CCTVs will be used to the detriment of the general public. No law abiding citizen has anything to fear from these cameras imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Think the only one that stays open after 12 in New Ross is the Kebab place just down from portovino not sure what the name of the street is but I have been passing through it many a night and seen war not to long ago I seen a guy been stretchered off in an ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Wrong, takeaways don't require a licence, nor should they.

Are you sure they dosnt need some kind of permission or licence, I recall reading something not to long ago regarding a takeaway in the SuperValu car park in Wexford where they were no longer allowed to open late due to trouble there and some fom of Objection from the Gardai.

Didn't hear about that.
    The guards may get an order asking them to close, but unlike pubs which require a licence to serve a restricted substance, take-aways are only really subject to health and safety requirements for the quality of their food and premises.

Saying that, I guess that guards could get an order against them from the courts if they were able to show that they were responsible for a distubance or something like that.

Didn't hear about that.
    The guards may get an order asking them to close, but unlike pubs which require a licence to serve a restricted substance, take-aways are only really subject to health and safety requirements for the quality of their food and premises.
    Saying that, I guess that guards could get an order against them from the courts if they were able to show that they were responsible for a distubance or something like that.

I suppose you cannot hold the take-away management responsible ,for disturbances , just because they stay open all hours .

The hotel up the road , serve drink until 2am , so that can be at least 6 hours of solid drinking for their revellers .

Disturbances are mainly caused by the gathering of youths outside the take-away in the small hours .

Take-away remaining open so late is not helping the situation

Are you sure they dosnt need some kind of permission or licence, I recall reading something not to long ago regarding a takeaway in the SuperValu car park in Wexford where they were no longer allowed to open late due to trouble there and some fom of Objection from the Gardai.

Yeah thats Sharky's you're talkin about, I think an agreement was made between the owners and the Gaurds tho to close earlier rather than an enforcement being made. Its in a bad spot tho, dark alleys, large carpark and so on. The hotspot used to be outside BurgerMacs, jaysus people were savage outside there! Ah feck them all, if they're stupid enough to start rioting I've no sympathy for their broken bones and bloodloss, its the innocent bystanders who I feel sorry for. I think the judges should be brought round by the gaurds to see exactly what acts of violent stupidity people are being let away with week after week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That just goes to show that every town and city in Ireland has its share of trouble-makers willing to beat seven bells out of anyone at all for no reason. While NR might have its share of trouble come closing time, so do Wexford, Waterford, Enniscorthy, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and everywhere else. To be honest there are none of the above places that I would feel completely safe walking in when there are people wandering around, doped up to their eyeballs on booze, snow and God knows what else. And that's happening in every single village, town and city in the country.

CCTV is no hassle to me - if it means a few scumbags can get properly done for their deeds, its most welcome.

You spoke too soon. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

zOMG, Get your tinfoil hats on they're reading our minds!

Advertisement