Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Big Brother" now up and running in New Ross.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Sully wrote: »
    Have them in Waterford also. I believe they are only being used in the event of a crime and are not monitored around the block.

Good addition imo.

I could be wrong here but those cameras were to be installed and monitored by a local company who specialse in 24h video surveillance. They have contracts across the country with live feeds going back to a warehouse in ross and being constantly monitored and recorded. Poachers turned gamekeepers if you like.

Dont know if interactive feedback is being employed here though, it allows them to communicate with scumbags/members of the public via speaker. Very effective system that allows you to tell scumbag to move on as guards have been called etc. Its usually enough to diffuse many situations including damage to property, theft, assault.

Regardless of who is monitoring footage, it can only be a good thing as its no longer safe to walk the streets of any town. Junkies and junior cokeheads possibly wont mind being observed in the course of their criminal activity but at least the footage might help secure convictions.

The actual number of persons detained in irish prisons has passed the 4000 mark for the first time in the history of the state, anything we can do to prevent crime as opposed to detecting it can only be a good thing. (Average cost per prisoner in excess of e100,000 : that much invested in each town in ireland for cctv programmes might make a bigger impact on crime than imposing paltry prison sentences)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

wexfjord wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but those cameras were to be installed and monitored by a local company who specialse in 24h video surveillance. They have contracts across the country with live feeds going back to a warehouse in ross and being constantly monitored and recorded.

I think you're right about that.
    Dont know if interactive feedback is being employed here though, it allows them to communicate with scumbags/members of the public via speaker. Very effective system that allows you to tell scumbag to move on as guards have been called etc. Its usually enough to diffuse many situations including damage to property, theft, assault.

Regardless of who is monitoring footage, it can only be a good thing as its no longer safe to walk the streets of any town. Junkies and junior cokeheads possibly wont mind being observed in the course of their criminal activity but at least the footage might help secure convictions.

The actual number of persons detained in irish prisons has passed the 4000 mark for the first time in the history of the state, anything we can do to prevent crime as opposed to detecting it can only be a good thing. (Average cost per prisoner in excess of e100,000 : that much invested in each town in ireland for cctv programmes might make a bigger impact on crime than imposing paltry prison sentences)

Agreed on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Wrong, takeaways don't require a licence, nor should they.
    Wrong there is a takeaway licence,not sure if it is issued by the court's or local council.:cool:

Wrong there is a takeaway licence,not sure if it is issued by the court's or local council.:cool:
    Its issued by the HSE I think, based only on inspections of cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Its issued by the HSE I think, based only on inspections of cleanliness.
    yes there is a cert from HSE,but as far as i am aware you also have a licence similar to a drink license,i remember the first eddie rockets in waterford city centre had to put up a notice and place announcement in local paper (like planning notice) for takeaway licence.In a lot of eu countries,takeaways must close before night club's,hence public have no reason to hang around,no flashpoint's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭FreeEnergy

Run_to_da_hills you are completely correct.

It starts with "it's for your own good" and "if you've done nothing wrong."

before you know it you'll be stopped and searched for being out at night.
    Then for having the wrong clothes on.
    It's a revenue generator and a disgusting one at that.

Thank god I live no where near.
    I for one will now avoid New Ross all together.

Advertisement