Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 23-10-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Sorry I know there is a thread somewhere about this, but Search function is down so..

Is anyone else having trouble? In the last week or two the evenings are crap, it works grand during the day, but in the evenings I'm lucky to be able to check emails. Would any of you techie guys know if it is because more people in the area are using it or is it just generally rubbish? I'm seeing more and more little white dongles hanging out windows in the area. ("Oh hai, I have a modem which cost me €100 hanging out my window and YES it is actually attached to a laptop" - How to attract thieves for Dummies).

It's working fine now (11.48pm) but 5pm to 10pm is crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

3 has never been great sueme, massive tread on them on the midband board, i trailed them shortly after they first launched a few years ago, returned it 7 days into a 14 day trail

to be honest the times you described is peak time usage for the internet, people comomg home from work and school, with most types of internet services, mainly on phone line based and mobile service, users have to share compacity, more people sharing the same signal from the one mast means a slower service for each user, on a service that is already bad to start with its even worse during those times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Yep the cells in Sligo are probably too large and probably take up so much capacity in peak times. If there were more signal points and a lot more cells per head of capita then it would be ok.

But 3 are cheap and wont do that. Sometimes if the internet is going slow for me I disconnect the dongle it take out the sim give it a rub and put it back in an presto! internet working again!

Although I just probably reconnected and took a current users bandwidth!

tech2 wrote: »
    Yep the cells in Sligo are probably too large and probably take up so much capacity in peak times. If there were more signal points and a lot more cells per head of capita then it would be ok.

But 3 are cheap and wont do that. Sometimes if the internet is going slow for me I disconnect the dongle it take out the sim give it a rub and put it back in an presto! internet working again!

Although I just probably reconnected and took a current users bandwidth!

seriously, 3 customer service told me that as well, when i mentioned it to a O2 agent we both laughed about it, how does that make any difference to the service

does it really work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thecraichead

When I was o2 it was the same if the settings were to connect to any available network (Edge or 3G)

drove me nuts..

I used to get it working well by setting it to only connect to a 3g network. i might have to wait and move the modem about for 5 minutes until it latched on, but once it found even a weak 3G network, it locked in and was grand.

maybe try that if you haven't already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks for the advice all. The only time I can get a connection is with HSDPA (whatever that is).

I would say for the last year or so the service has been fine, it's really just the last couple of weeks, every evening without fail.

I'm going to have to get a hobby :eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice all. The only time I can get a connection is with HSDPA (whatever that is).

I would say for the last year or so the service has been fine, it's really just the last couple of weeks, every evening without fail.

I'm going to have to get a hobby :eek:

have you rang 3, they might be working on the local mast, or it might be linked to schools re opening and usage/demand shooting up when kids get home

;)

irish-stew wrote: »
    have you rang 3, they might be working on the local mast, or it might be linked to schools re opening and usage/demand shooting up when kids get home

;)

I'll send them an email (well I'll try!), I've lost my voice so can't ring anyone - v frustrating. I need to ring Sky as well but you need to be in the whole of your health for that :rolleyes:

Thanks Stewie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Hmmm, I sense Irony coming on here.

I've just been out and got 3 Broadband, because its the best limits for usage and seems to be the cheapest. Should have paid more attention to this place first. What one are you using Stewie

I'll give this a go for a week and see how it goes. Hopefully it might be good. I'm quite close to the mast in at the Garda Station

You might be okay close to the mast. My Mum is down beside it too and it has worked great for me the odd time I've used it there. I'm up by Cannings on the Pearse Road.

Seems fine tonight, (touch wood) but definitely use it for the 14 days or whatever to get a clear picture of how it will be.

I always have loads of er.. megaburgers or something (:p) left at the end of the month - which aren't carried over. I don't use it for downloading as it's too slow. Grand for browsing, but not much else. If I want to watch a Youtube video it will take a few minutes to load. I like looking at the photos in the Photography Forum here for example, but I have to open a new tab and let it load for a while before I view it.

You might be okay close to the mast. My Mum is down beside it too and it has worked great for me the odd time I've used it there. I'm up by Cannings on the Pearse Road.

Seems fine tonight, (touch wood) but definitely use it for the 14 days or whatever to get a clear picture of how it will be.

I always have loads of er.. megaburgers or something (:p) left at the end of the month - which aren't carried over. I don't use it for downloading as it's too slow. Grand for browsing, but not much else. If I want to watch a Youtube video it will take a few minutes to load. I like looking at the photos in the Photography Forum here for example, but I have to open a new tab and let it load for a while before I view it.

Yeah, Youtube was ok, it was a bit slow when it came to to the HD videos that are on it, but like you say, I just left it in another tab and went back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

hi i'm living in galway also was using 3 and had the same troubles as the first poster and the nearest 3 cell to me is 50mtrs called tech support numerous times and was been told ther techs are fixing the problem. I gave up in the end and switched providers.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Hmmm, I sense Irony coming on here.

I've just been out and got 3 Broadband, because its the best limits for usage and seems to be the cheapest. Should have paid more attention to this place first. What one are you using Stewie

I'll give this a go for a week and see how it goes. Hopefully it might be good. I'm quite close to the mast in at the Garda Station

o2, 20 yoyo a month, coverage is better than 3, if you go out of a 3g/HSDPA area you can still use although its GPRS or EDGE (mobile speed), with 3 if you go out of 3g area, cant use at all

Stewie, how much would you download on average a month? the limit with 3 is 15 Gigabobs (Just for you Tequila) O2 is 10 isn't it?

3 Seems like better value for money..... How far away from the 'City' would you be?

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Stewie, how much would you download on average a month? the limit with 3 is 15 Gigabobs (Just for you Tequila) O2 is 10 isn't it?

3 Seems like better value for money..... How far away from the 'City' would you be?

oh, i thought 3 was 10 GB as well, sorry, Gigabobs, O2 is 10, my average is 6 to 7 a month, on every day, mainly on forums, streamng live radio, youtube, odd bit of streaming from RTE, 4OD (channel 4) and justin (for live footaball), living in maugherboy, near the showgrounds.

Gigabobs and Megaburgers :p The Techie Forums would shut down in shock.

Off Topic, but I didn't think we could get C4 OD here, or maybe I'm thinking of the Beeb...

Gigabobs and Megaburgers :p The Techie Forums would shut down in shock.

Off Topic, but I didn't think we could get C4 OD here, or maybe I'm thinking of the Beeb...

4OD, we could, then we couldn't, we can again, but its streaming only now, cant download and watch later

still no beeb available

Advertisement