Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer Dog Breeders

Options
  • 24-10-2009 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all...i am interested in getting a boxer dog but am afraid of buying from the well publicized 'dodgy dealers'! Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you contact the IKC, they'll be a ble to send you a list of registered breeders. They best way to not buy from a dodgy breeder is check the place out yourself and make sure health certs and legit etc. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slurms

Thanks Lorebringer,will do.Now not so sure accuracy of the following (told by the local now it all)but...is it true to steer clear of the well known light brown/white variety.He believes this type has been overbreed & give a lot of problems.He advised to go for the darker mix as these are less popular so are not overbreed & do not give the same probs as lighter kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

There are 2 types. Fawn, and Brindle ( dark ). Both are very nice and are easy to train. The less white on either is more exceptable for show dogs. They make great pets and are great around children, if TRAINED properly.

slurms wrote: »
    Thanks Lorebringer,will do.Now not so sure accuracy of the following (told by the local now it all)but...is it true to steer clear of the well known light brown/white variety.He believes this type has been overbreed & give a lot of problems.He advised to go for the darker mix as these are less popular so are not overbreed & do not give the same probs as lighter kind.

Sounds like a lot of bad information ot me. Boxers (of any colour!) make brilliant pets for an active family as long as they are excersised and trained properly. They are active dogs and quite a bit of work, but very loving and affectionate. Problems in a dogs behavious is usually down to the owner not dealing with their needs and/or bad behaviour properly, regardless of colour! I presume you are looking to buy a pup as a pet but as Germag said, too much white on either colour will not be marked well in a show ring. Personally, I think white Boxers (solid or with patches) are fab looking but to each their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

They are wonderful dogs. Best to buy from a breeder where you can see the mother, and father if possible.

When we bought our dog we got to see her mum, her dad, and a pup that they had kept from the previous litter. Said person nolonger breeds his dogs, but it was heartening to see the rest of the 'family' if you know what I mean, and this is what you should look for IMO.

I think it's pretty easy to spot the genuine breeders tbh, where we bought our dog they had an obvious and clear love of boxers, the boxers that they had were well kept and clearly well breed(he had papers for them all, with champions either side in the 'line'), they were IKC regg'd and they didn't charge an extortionate price for them, they just wanted to be sure that the pups went to a good home.

I think if you look for signs like these OP you won't go too far wrong;)

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention, there are a few Boxers (both pure breed and mixes) in rescues around the country. Maybe have a look online, there could be one for you! Plus, you have the added advantage of knowing their personality before you commit because the rescues will be able to tell you al about them. Always worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

slurms wrote: »

your local know it all is talking rubbish. I have had boxers over the yrs and there is no dif with color. the only prob u might come across is with the white boxer and that aint nothing to do with temp or training but with health issues, such as deafness/blindness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

my white boxer died recently at the ripe old age of 15and never had any health problems til the very end.some whities can suffer from hearing problems but its less than 20% and I have never come across one,(I always stop and chat with white boxer owners).We got a new white bitch lately and because she was white we paid 350 eur for a pup whose siblings went for 750 eur.The main problem with whites is that their colour does not conform to the breed standard.http://www.boxerrescue.com/whiteboxer.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

try here http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html they will have info on what the dogs are like and won't cost the earth

Advertisement